Start by marking “Coraline” as Want to Read:
Coraline

Coraline

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  22,549 ratings  ·  1,976 reviews
When Coraline steps through a door in her family's new house, she finds another house, strangely similar to her own (only better). At first, things seem marvelous. The food is better than at home, and the toy box is filled with fluttering wind-up angels and dinosaur skulls that crawl and rattle their teeth.

But there's another mother there and another father, and they want
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 192 pages
Published June 24th 2008 by HarperAlley (first published January 24th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Coraline, please sign up.
The Unicorn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Elyse It reminds me more of the movie than the original book. But I haven't seen or read either in awhile. I enjoyed this graphic novel adaptation.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  22,549 ratings  ·  1,976 reviews

Start your review of Coraline
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoy the story of Coraline, but the artwork just didn't do it for me.
Raeleen Lemay
I definitely enjoyed the novel way more, but this was still a super creepy book, perfect for Halloween.
Anne
I'd definitely recommend this version to reluctant readers.
Yeeees. The real book is...a REAL book, but I'm talking about those kids who don't like to read.
I've got one of those, and she loved this thing.
My feeling is that if you can get them hooked on a good story, no matter how you do it, it's going to show them the possibilities between the pages of a book.

description

The graphic novel tells the same story as the book, but with the added bonus of pictures. Duh.
Who doesn't like pictures?
Blind folks and sn
Sean Barrs
Coraline is a wonderful novel; it’s full of mystery. My head hurts when I think about what is actually happening. Sure we can make guesses at the magic behind it, but we will never fully be able to understand how it works. This is part of the book’s greatness: it will always remain elusive. So the plot of Corlaine is superb; there’s no arguing that, yet this comic adaption of it is just poor.

Why? Well it lacks colour. Coraline has undertones of the gothic, of the unusual, of the untraceable. Th
emma
I do not know why two-months-ago me said I would write a full review of this book, when what it basically comes down to is this:

Even though this art is very beautiful, it does not come even close to capturing the greatness of Coraline, which I have called a "top-to-bottom perfect book."

Besides that glaring fault, this is perfectly fine.

----------------

not coraline-y enough.

review to come / 3 stars

----------------

hi, my name is emma, and i'm a coraline addict
Janete
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, re-read
Project Learning English by myself through children's books.
I'd prefer that the illustrator draw Coraline younger. In this book, she's a pre-teenager, not a child.
Coraline narrating: "The air was alive with yellow wasps. My dad stayed and got stung to give me time to run away. His glasses had fallen off when he ran. I only had the one sting on the back of my arm. He had thirty-nine stings all over him.
So later that afternoon my dad went back again to the wasteland to get his glasses back. He sa
Heather
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Overall enjoyed it. Wasn't the biggest fan of the artwork and felt the story lacked a little
Apatt
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy

Nothing much is happening in the above picture, the very first frame of the graphic novel edition of Coraline but it still manages to be foreboding and disquieting. There are quite a few pictures like this in this book where so much is communicated with so little. Even the style of the font and the layout can convey an otherworldly feeling of dread. Look at that spider:

Something about that “scuttling” text just scuttles. *Shiver*

What of the story then? The story is great.

Coraline is about an 11
Sr3yas
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
FLEE!

Flee while there's still air in your lungs and blood in your veins and warmth in your heart.

You need not heed the Shakespearian ghost children's disturbing warnings, my weary traveler. Alas, It's not meant for you, but for our sweet little Coraline: A little girl who walked through a mysterious door to find a twisted reflection of her own world.

So, we got a novella, a stop-motion movie, a musical stage play and a graphic novel on Coraline! So many versions! Isn't that a bit
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've never read this as a kid and thank goodness I didn't. This book would've given me nightmares. There's a creepy quality to the other mother and the other world that would have haunted me. Even now, there are areas of the book that I read through very quickly!

As an adult, I really appreciate Coraline's strength and bravery. She is the kind of kid I was too afraid to be back in the day.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Stacey (prettybooks)
I must confess that I've never read Neil Gaiman's Coraline, but I have seen the adaptation and have been curious about how it'd work as a graphic novel. As it turns out, it's wonderfully creepy. I expected Coraline to have bright blue hair and the story to be as whimsical as it is in the film, but the graphic novel is more realistic. I don't think button eyes and the Other Mother will ever stop being creepy. P. Craig Russell's illustrations capture the weirdness perfectly!

I also reviewed this bo
Laurita  Mizz
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always found this story a little creepy, but I must say that I really liked reading it in this illustrated version.
I hope don't have nightmares with the other mother 😅😅😅
Taylor Knight
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I haven't seen the movie for Coraline or read the original book so I had pretty much no idea what this graphic novel was about.
The overall plot was really interesting and spooky. I wasn't expecting it to be so strange but I really enjoyed it.
I really like Coraline. She was a fun character and I thought she was really well written.
Emma
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Pretty creepy! I’ve never seen the film or read the book (how is this possible?!) and now I know 😊
Paul E. Morph
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: Erma Talamante
I don't usually read comicbook adaptations of other media but I'm glad I made an exception in this case. P. Craig Russell's artwork is absolutely fantastic... other than a handful of scattered panels that looked like they were drawn by another artist entirely, which was weird and the reason I couldn't quite give this five stars.

Russell's visualisation of Gaiman's original story was entirely different to mine and seeing the book through somebody else's eyes was a real treat. I would recommend thi
Rebecca McNutt
I've read some terrible book-to-comic adaptations before, but Coraline isn't one of them. Beautifully (and sometimes creepily) drawn, full of quirky and unforgettable characters, and set in both reality and fantasy, this is one graphic novel that everyone can enjoy.
ℳacarena
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
➳Bookstagram post

Based on the wonderful story by Neil Gaiman plus the awesome illustrations by P. Craig Russel equals a spellbinding read.
Katiria
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** Review Coraline on Kati's Bookaholic Rambling Reviews ***

I really wanted to read more Neil Gaiman books this month because I absolutely love and enjoy reading his books last year, so I decided to read one of his graphic novel and I decided and picked up Coraline at the library. And Ohh wow what and beautiful and creepy graphic novel was Coraline for me. I absolutely love and enjoy reading every minute of it. Now I haven't read the book of Coraline just
Anna
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
“How do I know you'll keep your word?" asked Coraline.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."
"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.
"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back.”

This is a spooky and creepy story. I'm still not sure whether I like spooky and creepy stories...
What I did like, on the other hand, was the banter between Coraline and the cat:

“What's your name,' Coraline asked
Alina
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story I already knew and liked. The graphics was different from what I was expecting, but nonetheless I enjoyed it very much.
Andrew
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: Lauren
Some years ago, I read the original novel by Gaiman, upon which this book is based and I liked it so much, even though the genre is for younger readers.
Speaking about plot, this novel is equal to the original story, with all the suspense and pathos. This is an incredible trip to another world, a story that has many points in common with Alice in wonderland.

Coraline, bored and neglected by parents, discovers that a door, opened on a wall of brick, in some circumstances gives access to another wor
Sarah Churchill
As usual, I love Gaiman's original story. This adaptation is both hit and miss for me. I enjoyed the illustrations and the story felt a little fleshed out and more... immersive? That comes from having visuals to support the story I suppose.

BUT Coraline looks a lot older than she 'should' from the original story, which turns it into a story about an ungrateful petulant pre-teen rather than a little girl, and that made me lose a little sympathy for her. Nobody likes a sulky teen (pre-teen or othe
Lauren
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
P. Craig Russell has done it yet again!

Coraline: Graphic Novel is Russell's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's classic and chilling story about a girl who enters an alternative world to encounter her "other" mother and the creepy universe she has created.

If you haven't read the original story and don't know the plot, Russell's adaptation is perfection and complete in itself, so there is no prerequisite to read Gaiman's novel (although you should...because it's Gaiman).

The artwork is breathtaking, vi
K. Elizabeth
Closer to 3.5 stars...the artwork just didn't do it for me. Asides from that, it's still the awesomely eerie story I love!
Cara Marie
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic
My rating here is for the graphic novel as an adapation, rather than for the story itself. I should probably stop reading comic adaptions of Neil Gaiman's books, because they never seem to really sing.

Part of it is how this is a very straight adaptation - I would have preferred it to have relied less on the boxes of text narrative, which seem to generally be taken straight from the book. The comic doesn't do anything other than what the book does, which I find disappointing in an adaptation. I'd
mayy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
“Sharper than a serpent's tooth is a daughter's ingratitude. Still, the proudest spirits can be broken, with love.”

3.5/5

I really loved the novel.

I really loved the film.

So I expected to really love the Graphic Novel.

But unfortunatly...I did not.
Maybe I set my expectations just a little to high, because I was let down just a bit. And it wasn´t even the story. The story was great, it was everything I wanted. I was the interpretation of the characers, more specifically...Coraline.

Now I may be wro
Moi  Baltazar
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Ferdy

Liked it. The story was interesting and fast paced, the characters weren't anything special but they were decent enough. Coraline was likeable, the talking cat was fairly witty, and the other mother was a good baddie… She was a little camp in her evulness but not in a bad way though.
There were some parts that were quite creepy, like the bad guys having buttons for eyes, and the other mother wanting to take Coraline's eyes out so she could sew buttons on her instead. The parts with the
Chiara
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Normally I don't read graphic novels but I wanted to try something new.
I don't regret it.
In the beginning it was very strange to read and I didn't like the illustrations at first. However, I got used to the pictures pretty quickly and in the end I liked the novel more than the movie (which I watched a few years ago). The story itself is then as now simply creepy, but exciting to read.
Nicolo Yu
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Coraline isn't as dark as the movie but I wouldn't say this graphic novel was all sunshine either. It is still a dark enough story to thrill children and give adults nightmares, just as Gaiman intended his novel to be.

This was a great read, as I did found the empty time in between errands the perfect time to read a story set in between the hidden pockets of reality. I found myself favoring this adaptation to the movie as Russell really knows how to
SQHS Sci-Fi/Fanta...: A Whole Other World 2 6 Jun 05, 2017 03:25PM

• Bob dylan. La risposta è nel vento
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 2
  • The Golden Compass: Lyra's world
  • Dracula 1
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children: The Graphic Novel (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Through the Woods
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • The Sandman: King of Dreams
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Fortunately, the Milk
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
Philip Craig Russell was the first mainstream comic book creator to come out as openly gay. Since 1972 his work has won multiple Kirby, Harvey, and Eisner Awards, and Cartoon Crossroads Columbus presented him the Master Cartoonist Award in 2019.