Start by marking “Goodnight Moon” as Want to Read:
Goodnight Moon

Goodnight Moon

(Over the Moon #2)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  298,749 ratings  ·  5,752 reviews
In a great green room, tucked away in bed, is a little bunny. "Goodnight room, goodnight moon." And to all the familiar things in the softly lit room -- to the picture of the three little bears sitting on chairs, to the clocks and his socks, to the mittens and the kittens, to everything one by one -- the little bunny says goodnight.

In this classic of children's literature,
Hardcover, 60th Anniversary Edition, 32 pages
Published January 23rd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published September 3rd 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight Moon, please sign up.
Meursault Jacobson-Lamberts Dr. Pot Pot–

Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
Melki
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was stunned to see this appear on a list of banned books . . . I mean, seriously? What could be more innocent than this book? What within these brightly-colored pages could possibly be considered objectionable? A Google search revealed nothing. Even Wiki let me down this time.

Luckily, while I was having this discussion with a library patron, the director happened to walk by, and she knew the answer.

description

You see the doll on the shelf behind the old lady rabbit's head?

It's not wearing any clothes.

The
James
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown is one of the books that followers of my blog voted as a must-read for our Children's Book August 2018 Readathon. Come check it out and join the next few weeks!

This picture book was such a delight. I hadn't remembered reading it when I was a child, but it might have been read to me... either way, it was like a whole new experience! It's always so difficult to convince a child to fall asleep at night. I don't have kids, but I do have a 5-month-old puppy who w
Alex
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-books
Margaret Wise Brown's nihilistic classic is a howling renunciation of God, here depicted as a "quiet old lady whispering 'hush'." There is no afterlife here, no reward, no release from the crushing mundanity of life. There is only the bowl of pathetic mush, the forlorn mittens, the abandoned balloon, the telephone that never rings. We live our lives in a "great green room", but at the end we accumulate nothing but the discarded trappings of our childhoods. Even love cannot offer solace: where ar ...more
Kirk
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“A great man in his pride . . .
 Casts derision upon

Supersession of breath;

He knows death to the bone

Man has created death.”

~William Butler Yeats

“Goodnight Moon . . . Goodnight Air. Goodnight noises everywhere”

~Margaret Wise Brown

There’s only one time in your life that you say goodbye to everything you’ve come to know and love . . . and even dedicate a little time saying goodbye to the things you’ve come to hate: the shitty bowl of mush growing cold on the night stand that your “old lady”
Ahmad Sharabiani
Goodnight Moon (Over the Moon #2), Margaret Wise Brown
Goodnight Moon is an American children's book written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Clement Hurd. It was published on September 3, 1947, and is a highly acclaimed bedtime story. It features a bunny saying "good night" to everything around: "Goodnight room. Goodnight moon. Goodnight cow jumping over the moon. Goodnight light, and the red balloon ...". This book is the second in Brown and Hurd's "classic series", which also includes
Bionic Jean
“In the great green room
There was a telephone
And a red balloon
And a picture of – ”

Goodnight Moon is a classic and well-loved American children’s picture book from 1947. It was written by Margaret Wise Brown and illustrated by Clement Hurd. Many American adults remember it as their favourite bedtime story, and it continues to lull young children to sleep to this very day.

The book describes a bedtime ritual, more than telling an actual story. A young anthropomorphic bunny is in bed saying “good ni
Elizabeth
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, children
I read this book a thousand times to the little girl I was a nanny for this summer. It is the perfect book to read right before a nap because I found my voice would naturally get softer while I flipped the pages.

It's true the colours are a bit garish and it drives me absolutely bonkers that she writes "goodnight moon" and then follows with "goodnight cow jumping over the moon." I tried every which way to make the rhythm work but it just doesn't no matter what you do. But what the heck does a 15
Jessica
Nov 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
why do people like this book? finding the little mouse on each page is fun, but other than that it's just a dumb book. there is a lame attempt to rhyme...sometimes. there's no rhythm. i don't get it.
Jon Nakapalau
Wonderful book that makes you feel that everything will be fresh and new in the morning.
etherealfire
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both hubby and I read over and over to our daughter Amanda for years. A common parental experience for sure and such a lovely little book for everyone touched by it.
John Beeler
Jun 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sharedwithcosi
What is about this book that haunts me? Is it the deep sense of emptiness? That the room stays the same, but objects move and light slowly fades into dark? That the narrator has no connection at all with the only other "human," the old lady whispering hush?

Or is that that the narrator says goodnight to "nobody," that as we go outside her room, we see only stars - no people, no cities. It's as if this little bunny is the last one on earth, and is being watched by some robotic nanny bunny.

I get
Benjamingibbs
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The baby bunny is oddly unengaged with a temperamental grandma bunny as he (or she) watches the room grow darker (even though the moon rises). Despite these inconsistencies and occasional strange reading cadences (goodnight nobody? what does that mean), I would recommend book to anyone interested in going to bed at night and suffers from separation anxiety with inanimate objects.
Hilary
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for a reassuring but unusual bedtime story
A beautiful, calming bedtime story. A rabbit child is going to sleep, a grandmother rabbit watches and some kittens play on the rug by the fire. The story is safe, soporific and reassuring. I loved the funny details, like the bowl of mush and the saying goodnight to objects. This is an unusual mix of traditional style illustrations and crazy clashing colours.

I borrowed this from openlibrary, an actual copy would probably be even more enjoyable.
Michael
Apr 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
I came across this “classic” today and…well…where do I begin? The back cover advises that this “is the perfect first book to share with a child.” My family agreed so I had to read this inane “story” every night to my son until I was able to locate significantly better board books. That is, until I made it to the local bookshop and grabbed any and everything that wasn’t Goodnight Moon. Ten years later, my son disdains books and, upon rediscovering this, I now know why. Now I understand why the co ...more
Luann
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, picture-book
I think this is a book you have to have read first when you were very young in order to LOVE it. At least for me, when I first read it as an adult, I just didn't get why it is such a classic and why so many people count it as their all-time favorite first book from their childhood. I can see that this is a nice book for reading at bedtime. But the list of things on the "goodnight" list just seems really random to me. I wonder if some kids love it because they can soon "read" it themselves, long ...more
Manybooks
When I was very young, like the little rabbit child depicted in Margaret Wise Brown's classic Goodnight Moon, I also had the tendency to bid goodnight to most if not all of the objects in my room (both those readily visible and things located in drawers and closets). And therefore (although truth be told, I actually never did experience Goodnight Moon as a child, which I really kind of regret more than a bit), both Margaret Wise Brown's text and Clement Hurd's accompanying illustrations have fel ...more
Candace
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-5-star
A little bunny tucked in bed says goodnight to all the familiar things in his great green room. The fireplace is burning, the lights are on as the little bunny says goodnight. By the end of the book the lights are out and the moon is shining through the window. Little rabbit says, "Goodnight noises everywhere."

This ingenious book settles down the little ones for bed. The full page illustrations alternate between boldly colorful layouts to small black and white pictures. The texts is simple and d
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
3 Goodnigh Moon ★'s

“Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.”

You can watch/listen to this book here - Goodnigh Moon Narrated by Susan Sarandon

This book is a classic and it's a good go-to-bed story. My niece really enjoyed it but for me, it was just alright. Not quite as good as I remember but then again few things are. It's all VERY simple but the illustrations are cute and colorful so there's that! Definitely worth the read. Other than that I'm really not sure what to
Marianne
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Goodnight Moon is a board book for young readers by Margaret Wise Brown. The charming illustrations are by Clement Hurd. It’s bed time for bunny, and he’s in the great green room wishing a good night to all those familiar items occupying the room, or seen from the window. As those items are first listed and then bid goodnight, there’s plenty of rhyming going on. This is a loved classic bedtime book, first published in 1947 and never out of print in over seventy years. Delightful!
Sophia Triad
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Perfect book to read right before bedtime!
Rich
Dec 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ronyell
Moon

“Goodnight Moon” is a classic bedtime story by Margaret Wise Brown along with illustrations by Clement Hurd and it is basically about a small rabbit is saying goodnight to all the objects and pets in his room. “Goodnight Moon” is a true cult hit for children of all ages.

Margaret Wise Brown’s story is extremely cute and heartwarming as the little rabbit not only says goodnight to everything he spots in his room, but also states to the audience about the various things that he spots, similar to h
Donovan
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Mantric. Ethereal. Hypnotic. Goodnight Moon is pretty brilliant for a board book. Well done, Margaret Wise Brown.

It rhymes. It repeats. And the pages alternate between color and black and white, perhaps suggesting that the little bunny is falling asleep and sees these objects in his mind or half-sleep. But it makes you wonder if any of this is real or if he's just imagining the clearly arbitrary colored bedroom in his dreams. It's like Inception but for kids and with bunnies. And much like that
Matt
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have read this to my daughter since she was two months old. She is now 20 months old going on 21 months and I have to say that I grown to appreciate this book. This is not only due to the enjoyment she gets or because the little rabbit procrastinates going to bed like my little one does. No, like all great children's literature, this book has a couple of layers. I enjoy this book because I think it's about a child's version of death. I'm not crazy - promise! Maybe it's the perplexing Old Lady ...more
Asha
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
10/26/18: I looked closely at the illustrations this time and saw that the little Bunny starts saying good night to everything at 7pm and finally goes to sleep around 8:10pm.
09/12/18:This book holds a special place in my heart. My mother used to read it to my brother and me all
the time when we were younger, until she grew so tired of it that she bought it for us on cassette and we played it enough times that the tape became messed up. The illustrations are phenomenal, the wording light and s
Janni
Jan 02, 2015 added it
A heartbreakingly spare story about the heat death of the universe. One by one the things of the world are bid adieu. Beginning with small losses--clocks, socks, a young mouse who will never reach adulthood, the stakes rise relentlessly until the loss of the atmosphere, stars, and sound itself. In the end the illustrated moon shines on, a reminder of things lost, but the protagonist--and the reader--are left sleeping in the dark.
Lata
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I forgot that Margaret Wise Brown was also the author of Runaway Bunny, a book I must have read at least 100 times to my child years ago. We had both loved that tale.
I can't believe it's taken me THIS long to finally read this story, which is cute, and peaceful. I particularly liked the way the kittens and mouse kept changing positions as the narrator said goodnight to the bunny and to each item in the room.
Michelle Johnston
Apr 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This post modernist take on nocturnal rabbit activity has been widely acclaimed by pundits and neophytes alike. Although the end is itself anticlimactic, the book throughout alternates between a Jeffersonian systematic formulation of an intuitively quixotic plot and a reductive encapsulation of the bed-time ritual that is practically, in its essence, Elizabethan. A revisionist reading unearths the Orwellian presence of the hushing lady, which is countermanded by the ideological shift introduce ...more
Cameron
Jun 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A truly fascinating vision of the fading of the American consciousness.
Hallmark Channel on Roku 1 4 May 13, 2019 10:37PM
Goodnight Moon 1 4 Sep 05, 2018 12:10PM
The Reading List : Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown 1 2 Apr 10, 2017 09:45AM

• Are You My Mother?
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Harold and the Purple Crayon (Harold, #1)
  • Madeline
Margaret Wise Brown wrote hundreds of books and stories during her life, but she is best known for Goodnight Moon and The Runaway Bunny. Even though she died nearly 60 years ago, her books still sell very well.

Margaret loved animals. Most of her books have animals as characters in the story. She liked to write books that had a rhythm to them. Sometimes she would put a hard word into the story or p

Over the Moon (3 books)
  • The Runaway Bunny
  • My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon

Articles featuring this book

We all have our reading bucket lists. James Mustich's 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die is bound to seriously expand that list wit...
“Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight noises everywhere.” 2065 likes
“In the great green room, there was a telephone
And a red balloon
And a picture of a cat jumping over the moon...”
43 likes