Start by marking “Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Hollow City

(Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #2)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  193,719 ratings  ·  17,216 reviews
This second novel begins in 1940, immediately after the first book ended. Having escaped Miss Peregrine’s island by the skin of their teeth, Jacob and his new friends must journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. Along the way, they encounter new allies, a menagerie of peculiar animals, and other unexpected surprises.

Complete with dozens of newly discovered (a
Published February 24th 2015 by Quirk Books (first published January 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hollow City, please sign up.
Alicja Honestly I liked this one a little better than the first.
Jami Late 2015 is when the 3rd book will come out and Tim Burton is making a movie from the first one.

·  193,719 ratings  ·  17,216 reviews

Start your review of Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I'm so happy that I decided to reread this! I forgot how crazy that ending was. :o I THINK I'M READY FOR LIBRARY OF SOULS NOW... I THINK. MAYBE NOT, BUT IT'S COMING WHETHER I'M READY OR NOT.
Christine Riccio
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.4 STARS! Really enjoyed Hollow City - here's my booktalk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5j0g... =D ...more
Jon
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, time-travel
Check out Scott Reads It for more reviews!

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is one of my all-time favorite books and I've been waiting to read Hollow City for ages! As soon as I received Hollow City, I began to devour this strange book and I believe Hollow City is even better than Mrs. P's. Hollow City does an excellent job of creating a captivating, magical world and accompanying the plot with finely selected vintage photos.

The photographs in Hollow City are just as bizarre and out
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
HOLY CRAP. I CAN'T EVEN. I'll write my thoughts when I'm able to GATHER my thoughts, but know that I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
Ivana
Aug 31, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
what is it with you people and rating books that aren´t even PUBLISHED??!!! COME ON!!
Ferdy
Spoilers

Disappointing. The plot was uninteresting, the characters were unremarkable, and the romance was lame.

-Summary: Miss Peregine's school and the time loop she created destroyed by hollows/wights/the bad guys, the peculiars/students on the run, Miss Peregine poisoned and not able to fix the loop and protect her kids, Jacob and the other peculiars have to avoid the bad guys and find another headteacher to help Miss Peregine get back to normal.

-The majority of Hollow City was dull, there was
Mohammed Arabey
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Are you still into the creepy vintage photos?

Welcome to a Deeper, maturer, richer & more convenient sequel.

really sad we won't watch a Movie out of it..

Tim Burton only concluded the whole series in an ending that's even worse than Book One's, it almost made me ditch Book Two.

I'm glad I didn't, unexpectedly loved it, this time Ransom Riggs here add more depth into the world he built in book one. THE PECULIARDOM

The wonders and mystical world of Peculiarity, their animals, different loops, history.
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
January 2014?

Emma Giordano
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I definitely enjoyed this book more than the first installment when I read it a two years ago. There were definitely slower moments that were rough to get through, but ultimately, I really enjoyed how the plot progressed in this novel and cannot wait to see how it ends!
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
4.5 Stars

Wow, what an amazing ending. I totally didn’t see that coming!

Something also interesting is that, until reading the author’s note, I had NO idea that Ransom Riggs and Tahereh Mafi (author of the Shatter Me series) were married. I’m sure I’m the last person to future this out...but crazy fun fact if you didn’t know.

But anyway, there is something about this series and this world that I just really love. I don’t get to the obsessed fan girl level with too many things, but this series has
Trina (Between Chapters)
3.5 stars.

Unfortunately, Hollow City is a case of Second Book Syndrome.

Extremely slow start, with many scenarios that I found just too far fetched. (view spoiler) There has to be a suspension of belief when reading any work of fiction, especially fantasy. But it was too far a stretch for me to believe that the events could happen so easily. Not that the characters
Jessica
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think I liked this one a little better than the first.. SO excited for book three!
Matthew
If you have read my reviews before you know I am picky when it comes to bizarre, supernatural fantasy novels. I loved The Library at Mount Char, but didn't care for The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Well, so far, the bizarre magic and "peculiar" characters of of this series are on the positive side of things for me.

When I mention being picky on this type of book, there is just something that I am not sure I can describe with words that either makes the book super awesome or totally disappointing
J.L.   Sutton
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
The peculiar children are on the run! Danger at every turn! Until finally...okay, there's a twist thrown in. While Ransom Riggs' Hollow City is a well-written sequel in which we learn more about the nature of the peculiars (and their enemies), overall, I wasn't as wowed or intrigued. To me, it felt like the filler of a 3-book series. Will I read Library of Souls? Not sure yet...
Mai
Did not finish at 67%
People who know me, know so well that I'd rather cry out of boredom while reading a book than actually give up on it. My DNF shelf has only two books and this is the third.

I know it's unfair to rate an unfinished book, but it's also unfair that this book is that bad.

I don't regret this decision, not one bit! This is the first book in my reading history to have me struggling with even opening the cover, I've struggled since page one and then I thought that no I wouldn't be th
Darth J
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series

I felt like this was a lull between the first one and the finale. While there's action and adventure it seemed mostly like an info dump to bridge the gap between the end pieces. It was certainly more entertaining than the first one, but only marginally.

There is a quest to bring the group's ymbryne to Miss Wren, whose first name is

There are some new characters introduced in this book such as a talking dog named Addison, a pair of blind brothers who use echolocation, a telekinetic girl, a
P
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“What I believe is that when it comes to big things in life, there are no accidents. Everything happens for a reason. You are here for a reason -- and it's not to fail and die.”

Hollow City is DARKER and CREEPIER than book one. I was really glad to finally see what's going on with children at the beginning of this book. The world of this book is madness, it's not something joyful for someone. Emma becomes a lead character in Hollow City, and her courage makes this book turn out to be the unp
Liam
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
That ending has killed me... Well and truly killed me...

But anyway, this book is utterly brilliant!!

I absolutely adored Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children and had pretty high hopes for this book. All I can say is that this book was better than I could've ever hoped and may well be the best sequel I have read in my life!!

The characters in this book are all so incredibly unique and precious! They're written so well and the dialogue/relationships they have with one another all feel so rea
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, ya-series
Do you ever find yourself climbing into an open grave during a bombing raid..and wish you'd just stayed in bed?

If only you knew how often I've run into that exact situation...

The peculiar children are in the midst of escape. Their ymbryne is irreparably injured, the wights are right behind him and hollowgasts are ahead. And as with so many YA books, they have to save the world (at least there isn't a love triangle).

The peculiars stumble upon a time loop leading to somewhere extremely
Anja H.
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
*4.5 HOLLOW STARS*

"Strange, I thought, how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the very same time.”

I only picked this one up because I recently ended up watching the movie adaption of Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children and that kind of got me back in the mood to continue this series.
But I gotta say, I enjoyed this one so much more than the first book! I'm really glad I decided to continue this trilogy, I can only imagine how crazy the last book is going to get!

It's
Ashley Daviau
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely freaking adored this book! It’s my second time reading it and it was even better this time around. The story is even more gripping than in the first book and as I got to know more about the world of peculiars, I couldn't help but fall even more in love. This book is jam packed with action and is absolutely nerve wracking from start to finish. I loved getting to know my favourite characters more as well as being introduced to new ones which I can't wait to learn more about in the nex ...more
Carla (Carla's Book Bits)
That ending: WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?
Mandy
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. The peculiar children in these novels are so fascinating. This story had me hooked just like the first book did. There were parts I wasn't crazy about but it was still good and the pictures were good, too. Looking forward to the next in the series!!
Leona  Petrovic
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series is undeniably BRILLIANT.

Jacob is my favorite character and his (view spoiler) are my favorite as well out of all the characters we've met so far.

Ahmad Sharabiani
Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #2), Ransom Riggs
Hollow City is a 2014 dark fantasy novel and a sequel to Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children written by Ransom Riggs. It was released on January 14, 2014. After fleeing in a boat from the hollowgasts, the peculiar children are caught up in a bad storm and need to find land. They land on a beach only to find that the wights are trying to track them down, so they flee into the forests of the mainland. With nowhere to run, the
Amalia Gavea
The Hollow City is the second installment in Rigg's trilogy of the Peculiar Children's exciting adventure, and it is a worthy following of its predecessor. But did I enjoy it as much as the first volume? The answer is a hesitant ''no''.

Hesitant bceause I cannot, clearly, state what it was that made me feel that something was missing. Up until the 45% mark, it was a real page - turner, then, gradually, I seemed to lose interest. Perhaps, I couldn't fully connect with it as I was reading the first
Lindsey Lewis
I won Hollow City as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaway. Can we say BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVARR? The waiting thing is destroying me though and I may just sit at the mailbox until I get it.

REVIEW: Jacob and the Peculiar Children we've grown to know and love are back. Their adventure opens immediately after the close of the first novel, and as they set out to save Miss Peregrine, new danger and excitement awaits them. Jacob struggles with his newfound abilities, and the pressure of leaving hi
Lazaros
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ......
What a disappointment..

I had so many expectations about this one but it only let me down.. I had loved the first book in the series, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children & I wanted so much to love this one too but unfortunately the only good thing about this book was the photos, which like in the first book, they blew me away by how real and authentic they look.

This one lacked the magic the first book had, it was kind of idiotic and the author tried to take an even darker turn to the even
Jonathan Terrington

Hollow City is one of those sequel novels that irons out many of the kinks in the first novel. It further goes to prove that the quality of children's and young adult' fiction is improving all the more in this day and age. Where once such books were throw away pieces to pass the time till younger readers could engage with more serious pieces of literature, today they are or should be recognised as being equally serious and nuanced - with the same level of power as books regarded as more mature.

I
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
DNF around 20%. I just can't get into this. I'm not attached to the characters or the story at all, and I have too many other books I'd like to read more than this.
Hollow City 1 4 Feb 21, 2020 02:18PM
Jordyn Bacon Review #9 1 5 Apr 20, 2019 02:03PM
This weird book!!! 7 66 Apr 11, 2019 01:43PM
Goodreads Librari...: Need help with book covers 8 24 Jan 15, 2019 04:48PM
2020 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Hollow City (MIss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #3) 2 17 Sep 05, 2018 07:39PM

• Asylum (Asylum, #1)
  • The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2)
  • The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3)
  • Sanctum (Asylum, #2)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)
  • Catacomb (Asylum, #3)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
Hi, I'm Ransom, and I like to tell stories. Sometimes I tell them with words, sometimes with pictures, often with both. I grew up on a farm on the Eastern shore of Maryland and also in a little house by the beach in Englewood, Florida where I got very tan and swam every day until I became half fish. I started writing stories when I was young, on an old typewriter that jammed and longhand on legal ...more

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (6 books)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
  • A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #4)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Unknown (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #6)