Start by marking “Pippi Longstocking” as Want to Read:
Pippi Longstocking

Pippi Longstocking

(Pippi Långstrump #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  149,197 ratings  ·  3,296 reviews
Tommy and his sister Annika have a new neighbor, and her name is Pippi Longstocking. She has crazy red pigtails, no parents to tell her what to do, a horse that lives on her porch, and a flair for the outrageous that seems to lead to one adventure after another!
--back cover
Mass Market Paperback, Puffin Modern Classics, US / CAN, 160 pages
Published April 21st 2005 by Puffin Books (first published 1945)

·  149,197 ratings  ·  3,296 reviews

Elyse Walters
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in bed - again -today with some type of nasty bug - a relapse from last week...a traveling flu bug? cold? allergies? It's now in my chest...
Right when I'm reading the interview on Goodreads from Fredrick Backman about his new-HIT- novel BEARTOWN - my doorbell rings. A delivery guy brought a huge vase of flowers from our daughter, Katy. Tomorrow is Mother's Day! (sweet daughter)
Paul got the door - brought the flowers to the nightstand next to my bed. I told Paul what I had just read about Fre
Annet
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I used to feel connected to Pippi as a kid. Because I had red/orange hair ;-) I was even called Pippi Langkous (the Dutch translation) sometimes then.. I swear I have this photo of myself as a kid, spitting image then, now my hair is white/orange mixed, I'm sure Pippi would have the same as an older and still eccentric lady? :-)
I remember my mother, when I was a little kid, used to deck me out in a two piece suit, skirt and jacket and top it off with red stockings. I really used to hate that, d
Lisa
I think Swedish schools today are far too influenced by Astrid Lindgren's most famous character!

There is not a single person in this country who doesn't know the story of how Pippi Långstrump started school. Her friends Tommy and Annika told her that they get to have a "Christmas break", and Pippi, always staying home on her own, and therefore not entitled to a "break", thinks that is unfair.

"Orättvist" is by far the word I hear most often in my conversations with Swedish adolescents, and it al
Ahmad Sharabiani
Pippi Långstrump = Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren
Pippi Longstocking (Swedish: Pippi Långstrump) is the main character in an eponymous series of children's books by the Swedish author Astrid Lindgren. Pippi was named by Lindgren's daughter Karin, then nine years old like Pippi, who asked her mother for a get-well story when she was off school. Pippi is red-haired, freckled, unconventional and superhumanly strong – able to lift her horse one-handed. She is playful and unpredictable. She often
Manny
Since I love Scandinavian authors and review many Swedish and Norwegian novels, I'm often asked what the best language is if you're planning to read one in translation. It's early days yet, but I'm starting to feel more and more certain that the answer is German. Just like Komet im Mumintal , which I read last year, Pippi Langstrumpf was an absolute winner and felt 100% authentic. It was exactly like reading it in Swedish: the melody of the sentences was the same, the word-play was the same, an ...more
[Original review, Sep 4 2018]

I'm trying to improve my miserable Italian, and when we were in Italy a couple of weeks ago I bought a bunch of children's books, intending to use my normal method of just reading them without a dictionary and picking things up. So far, it's working well. I loved Il Mago di Oz, and this one was also very enjoyable. I think I'd read about two-third of the episodes previously in Swedish or German, but some of them were new.

Reading in a language you're not familiar with
Manybooks
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys children's literature, especially literature with strong female characters
Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking (originally published in Swedish as Pippi Långstrump in 1945) is likely one of the most well-known and famous Swedish children's books of all time; it has been translated into more than 50 languages and is still globally loved and admired.

The original concept for the novel originated in 1944, when Astrid Lindgren's then seven year old daughter was ill with pneumonia and Lindgren told her imaginative stories about a fantastical and mischievous little girl nam
Nomes
Here's my daughter reading Pippi

First, the story. Pippi was written in the 1940's and it's still utterly captivating to this generation. Pippi is such an endearing character, irreverent, infectiously ridiculous and charmingly caring. Bonus to all kids everywhere: she makes adults look silly and kids look brilliant. She champion's the kids world: all imagination and no rules. Anything is possible and everything is an adventure. She's like the imaginary friend we'd like to be, except, in the end
Ms. Smartarse
Published in English as Pippi Longstocking

Where do I even start? Should I open with a standard guilty disclaimer for disliking yet another childhood staple? How about a shameful admission that reading between the lines has never worked for me? Or perhaps a simple statement about being too old to enjoy children's books?

Disappointed frown

First and foremost, we have the super-duper-awesome Pippi, who, despite being an orphaned 9-year old, is filthy rich, strong, independent, and does whatever the hell she pleases, a
sweet pea
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
i was thrilled by the thought of a new version of Pippi illustrated by Lauren Child. i grew up on Pippi. besides my wild hairstyles, she also taught me how to be spunky and lie extravagantly.

perhaps i'm hard-lined. but, certain aspects of this new translation leave me cold. Ephraim Longstocking being a "king of the natives" is too much to bear. too generic to process. he is obviously a king of the CANNIBALS, as anyone with an ounce of sense can recall. also, Pippi's full name changed from "Pipp
Riku Sayuj
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-r-rs

The Girl With The Dragon Boots

Having read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth is identified as a real world Pippi, I have been planning to read the supposed inspiration for a long time. For the first few chapters, it is hard to imagine how Larsson could have based the character of Lisbeth on Pippi. Eventually I learned to warp Pippi's world and squeeze it into the supposedly real world filled with rapists and thieves, where little girls have no super strength to get by on. I could the
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Astrid Lindgren is not popular enough in the United States. And that makes me sad.

Her books, especially Pippi Longstocking and Carlson On The Roof are well known and loved over in Europe. It's a favorite children's classic. And it is so well deserved.

When I was little, Pippi was everything I ever wanted to be : wild, free and completely unapologetic. I would get sick a lot when I was a kid (colds, pneumonia and that kind of stuff). Reading about Pippi and her adventures always made me feel bette
Mariah Roze
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mariah Roze by: Matt
This was a cute story! It made me think of Roald Dahl's writing style and creativity. This is definitely a book I'll suggest to my students.
Manny
The following may be heresy, but, as Michael Dibdin says of his novel The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, it's the heresy of the true believer. Anyway, now that everyone's read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we can no longer avoid the question. What does Pippi think about sex? Lisbeth Salander is repeatedly identified with Pippi, and she's quite straightforward about sex. When she wants it, she goes for it; no shame, no hangups. It's hard to believe that Pippi isn't exactly the same.

Of course, Pip

L, is for Lindgren

2.5 Stars

Pippi Longstocking is absolutely a case of I-read-this-too-late-in-life.

This is NOT the kind of story my mom read to me as a child. I was too headstrong already, I didn’t need her reading about a ginger-haired nine year old who lifted up horses and refused to go to school. Wise move, mom, wise move.

I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to review this, to be honest. There is a cuteness to it, a toughness too BUT I can’t turn off pretend-mom brain. I can’t help but th
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)

This one is so nostalgic for me. I grew up having my mom read the books to me and I used to watch the movies all the time as well.

Pippi Longstockingis a classic that everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. It's about a young girl who lives in a large house with a monkey and a horse, she also happens to be "the strongest girl in the world." Beside Pippi live two other children, a brother and a sist
April Knapp
Review originally posted HERE

"Pipi Longstalking" is an easy read and I can see why kids enjoy it. Pipi is funny and different and draws little children out of their normal, every-day lives with her wacky adventures.

BUT, it has no plot and, therefore, is not very attractive to adult readers. It's really a series of short stories that have very little plot or meaning to them in themselves. About 75 percent through, I started just skimming the stories because they were plotless and all very similar
Sarah Grace Grzy
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, whimsical children's book! I enjoyed reading it to my younger brothers. They usually won't sit still long enough for me to read anything to them, but they actually were asking ME to read it to them! So it was a win-win in that area! If you're looking for a good "role model" children's book, this isn't really it, but it was fun, and there certainly wasn't anything bad in it.
Ronyell
To be honest, I have heard of “Pippi Longstocking” when I was little, but I only saw the movies of the little red haired heroine, but then again I might have read this book when I was younger. It is just that I do not remember many children’s books that I have read when I was small. “Pippi Longstocking” is a popular children’s book by Astrid Lindgren and it details the wild adventures of an unusual girl named Pippi Longstocking. “Pippi Longstocking” is clearly one of the best children’s books ev ...more
Celia
This book was written by Astrid Lindgren, a Swede, in 1950. Two books followed it, describing Pippi further.

Pippi is MOST unusual. She lives with a monkey and a horse and alone; no parents. She is the kind of child that would drive adults to distraction and that is what she did to me for 9 chapters. In Chapter 10, we see her strength and resourcefulness and all of a sudden, I liked Pippi better.

I like to read classics as they frequently have life lessons to teach. Not this time, but I still enjo
Caroline
May 29, 2012 added it
Recommended to Caroline by: Shelley
The past is indeed another country.

When I was a child I read voraciously. I have a memory that having rapaciously foraged my way through the children’s section, I was given an adult library ticket before my time. But I am sure that didn’t really happen, not even in the rough and ready borough of London where the transition took place. My wanting just made it seem real.

In spite of my impatience for the adult section, I adored my time with the children’s library, and at the pinnacle of all child
Bonnie
5 stars *(My child-experience rating, though my adult rating wouldn’t differ much.)

As an adult, I find it interesting to revisit books I read as a child. Pippi Longstocking is one of two I remember most vividly; The Ugly Duckling is the other. These stories are so different from one another that I find it odd – it must say something about my personality as a child.

Rereading Pippi recently, I laughed out loud throughout the first half of the story and then I’m not sure what happened. Maybe “Monke
Deborah Markus
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of a new translation of a children's classic. My comments and the number of stars this edition gets has nothing to do with my adoration of Pippi Longstocking, which my review of the previous edition should make pretty clear.

I'm always wildly excited to hear of new translations of books I love, so it saddens me to have to say I'm disappointed in this one.

It was published in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Astrid Lindgren, the author of the Pippi books. (Lindgren li
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Her mother died when she was just a baby so she has no memory of her at all. Her father was a ship captain who was thrown overboard during a storm at sea and disappeared. Pippi Longstocking, nine years old, believes her mother is in heaven watching her, and her father on an island and has become the king of the cannibals. She lives alone in their house with a monkey named Mr. Nilsson and a horse.

She often looks up at the sky and tells her mother "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on
Gaijinmama
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Isn't it amazing how an implausible book written by a Swedish lady in the 1930's about a little girl who lives with a horse, a monkey, a suitcase of gold coins, and no grown-ups can still engage us today? Pippi flat-out rocks! I read this as a kid, then read it with my son a few years ago, and now my daughter is six and has seen the animated version on Cartoon Network, and we all still can't get enough of Pippi.
One thing I felt as a parent this time around: Pippi really does try to fit in, and i
Jessica
I always sort of assumed I had read Pippi Longstocking, until very recently when I was trying to describe it to my kids, and realized that I had seen the old movie and read other books by Astrid Lindgren, and conflated them. So I decided to remedy that all around by reading the first book aloud to my kids, and of course I had to have the fully illustrated edition with pictures by Lauren Child, because of our fondness for Charlie and Lola.

The consensus? Delightful! The kids thought Pippi was hila
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Childhood memories of Sunday afternoon movies on channel 41 are dancing in my head. Pippy was my favorite second only to Shirley Temple. What adventures she had-keeping a horse on the porch; rescuing children from a burning building; outsmarting thieves and nine pin playing ghosts! And she always gets it over the adults. I think my favorite chapter was when she decided she must go to school so she can have a Christmas vacation. The student of my worst nightmares
Amirography
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid, my mom used to read this before going to bed. And we would laugh so much that we couldn't keep ourselves from going on and on. ah, this was a good book. I would love to re-read it when the chance arises.
Viv JM
I read this for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge task to read a children's classic published before 1980. I can completely see why so many children have loved this. Pippi is a very cool, completely anarchic character - she displays a complete disregard for convention and yet always does the right thing and is kind to a fault. Deservedly a children's classic!
Deborah Markus
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: give-me-cake
Yet another book that’s even more entertaining when you reread it as an adult. In fact, we need Pippi more than ever now. I did, anyway. At a time in my life when it’s too easy for me to feel cynical and angry pretty much nonstop, it was a relief to revisit Pippi’s humor, honesty, complex simplicity, strength, and wholehearted generosity.

There’s no mawkishness here, and no idealization of childhood or children. Astrid Lindgren simply manages to capture the joy that ought to be the birthright of
Reading 1001: Pippi Longstocking 3 13 Jul 11, 2018 06:32PM
101 Books to Read...: Pippi Longstocking 10 35 Sep 18, 2016 10:20PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren 2 17 Sep 02, 2015 04:32AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ян Бибиян
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • Ние, врабчетата
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • The Little Ghost
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian A

Pippi Långstrump (3 books)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Pippi in the South Seas
“The children came to a perfume shop. In the show window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign, which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES?

'What does the sign say?' ask Pippi. She couldn’t read very well because she didn’t want to go to school as other children did.

'It says, "Do you suffer from freckles?"' said Annika.

'Does it indeed?' said Pippi thoughtfully. 'Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let’s go in.'

She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika. An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her. 'No!' she said decidedly.

'What is it you want?' asked the lady.

'No,' said Pippi once more.

'I don’t understand what you mean,' said the lady.

'No, I don’t suffer from freckles,' said Pippi.

Then the lady understood, but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, 'But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!'

'I know it,' said Pippi, 'but I don’t suffer from them. I love them. Good morning.'

She turned to leave, but when she got to the door she looked back and cried, 'But if you should happen to get in any salve that gives people more freckles, then you can send me seven or eight jars.”
159 likes
“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” 93 likes