Start by marking “Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump, #1)

Pippi Longstocking

(Pippi Långstrump #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  187,214 ratings  ·  4,534 reviews
Tommy and his sister Annika have a new neighbor, and her name is Pippi Longstocking. She has crazy red pigtails, no parents to tell her what to do, a horse that lives on her porch, and a flair for the outrageous that seems to lead to one adventure after another!
Mass Market Paperback, Puffin Modern Classics, US / CAN, 160 pages
Published April 21st 2005 by Puffin Books (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Pippi Longstocking, please sign up.
Diana Smith She has bright red hair she wears in lopsided pigtails.

·  187,214 ratings  ·  4,534 reviews

Start your review of Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump, #1)
Elyse  Walters
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm in bed - again -today with some type of nasty bug - a relapse from last week...a traveling flu bug? cold? allergies? It's now in my chest...
Right when I'm reading the interview on Goodreads from Fredrick Backman about his new-HIT- novel BEARTOWN - my doorbell rings. A delivery guy brought a huge vase of flowers from our daughter, Katy. Tomorrow is Mother's Day! (sweet daughter)
Paul got the door - brought the flowers to the nightstand next to my bed. I told Paul what I had just read about Fre
Ahmad Sharabiani
Pippi Långstrump = Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking is the main character in an eponymous series of children's books by the Swedish author Astrid Lindgren. Pippi was named by Lindgren's daughter Karin, then nine years old like Pippi, who asked her mother for a get-well story when she was off school.

Pippi is red-haired, freckled, unconventional and superhumanly strong – able to lift her horse one-handed. She is playful and unpredictable. She often makes fun of unreasonable a
Fergus
Jul 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Back in 1957, my Mom's village library opened to a steady stream of visitors. One of my Mom's favourite strategies (probably at the direction of her Library Board, though at that time it was her own pet project too) was to provide our town with a plethora of kid's books.

It was the Baby Boom.

Kids were everywhere, even though our typical town's size at first was small. As the birth rate increased, so did the need for entertainment to keep the kids happy, and few of us had a TV in the mid fifties.
Annet
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kids, fun
I used to feel connected to Pippi as a kid. Because I had red/orange hair ;-) I was even called Pippi Langkous (the Dutch translation) sometimes then.. I swear I have this photo of myself as a kid, spitting image then, now my hair is white/orange mixed, I'm sure Pippi would have the same as an older and still eccentric lady? :-)
I remember my mother, when I was a little kid, used to deck me out in a two piece suit, skirt and jacket and top it off with red stockings. I really used to hate that, d
Lala BooksandLala
Book 20 of 30 for my 30 day reading challenge.
Lisa
I think Swedish schools today are far too influenced by Astrid Lindgren's most famous character!

There is not a single person in this country who doesn't know the story of how Pippi Långstrump started school. Her friends Tommy and Annika told her that they get to have a "Christmas break", and Pippi, always staying home on her own, and therefore not entitled to a "break", thinks that is unfair.

"Orättvist" is by far the word I hear most often in my conversations with Swedish adolescents, and it
[Original review, Sep 4 2018]

I'm trying to improve my miserable Italian, and when we were in Italy a couple of weeks ago I bought a bunch of children's books, intending to use my normal method of just reading them without a dictionary and picking things up. So far, it's working well. I loved Il Mago di Oz, and this one was also very enjoyable. I think I'd read about two-third of the episodes previously in Swedish or German, but some of them were new.

Reading in a language you're not familiar with
Manny
Since I love Scandinavian authors and review many Swedish and Norwegian novels, I'm often asked what the best language is if you're planning to read one in translation. It's early days yet, but I'm starting to feel more and more certain that the answer is German. Just like Komet im Mumintal , which I read last year, Pippi Langstrumpf was an absolute winner and felt 100% authentic. It was exactly like reading it in Swedish: the melody of the sentences was the same, the word-play was the same, ...more
Manybooks
Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking (originally published in Swedish as Pippi Långstrump in 1945) is likely one of the most well-known and famous Swedish children's books of all time; it has been translated into more than 50 languages and is still globally loved and admired.

The original concept for the novel originated in 1944, when Astrid Lindgren's then seven year old daughter was ill with pneumonia and Lindgren told her imaginative stories about a fantastical and mischievous little girl nam
Nomes
Here's my daughter reading Pippi

First, the story. Pippi was written in the 1940's and it's still utterly captivating to this generation. Pippi is such an endearing character, irreverent, infectiously ridiculous and charmingly caring. Bonus to all kids everywhere: she makes adults look silly and kids look brilliant. She champion's the kids world: all imagination and no rules. Anything is possible and everything is an adventure. She's like the imaginary friend we'd like to be, except, in the end
Ms. Smartarse
Published in English as Pippi Longstocking

Where do I even start? Should I open with a standard guilty disclaimer for disliking yet another childhood staple? How about a shameful admission that reading between the lines has never worked for me? Or perhaps a simple statement about being too old to enjoy children's books?

Disappointed frown

First and foremost, we have the super-duper-awesome Pippi, who, despite being an orphaned 9-year old, is filthy rich, strong, independent, and does whatever the hell she pleases, a
Riku Sayuj
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r-r-rs

The Girl With The Dragon Boots

Having read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth is identified as a real world Pippi, I have been planning to read the supposed inspiration for a long time. For the first few chapters, it is hard to imagine how Larsson could have based the character of Lisbeth on Pippi. Eventually I learned to warp Pippi's world and squeeze it into the supposedly real world filled with rapists and thieves, where little girls have no super strength to get by on. I could the
sweet pea
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
i was thrilled by the thought of a new version of Pippi illustrated by Lauren Child. i grew up on Pippi. besides my wild hairstyles, she also taught me how to be spunky and lie extravagantly.

perhaps i'm hard-lined. but, certain aspects of this new translation leave me cold. Ephraim Longstocking being a "king of the natives" is too much to bear. too generic to process. he is obviously a king of the CANNIBALS, as anyone with an ounce of sense can recall. also, Pippi's full name changed from "Pipp
Mariah Roze
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story! It made me think of Roald Dahl's writing style and creativity. This is definitely a book I'll suggest to my students. ...more
April Knapp
Review originally posted HERE

"Pipi Longstalking" is an easy read and I can see why kids enjoy it. Pipi is funny and different and draws little children out of their normal, every-day lives with her wacky adventures.

BUT, it has no plot and, therefore, is not very attractive to adult readers. It's really a series of short stories that have very little plot or meaning to them in themselves. About 75 percent through, I started just skimming the stories because they were plotless and all very simila
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Astrid Lindgren is not popular enough in the United States. And that makes me sad.

Her books, especially Pippi Longstocking and Carlson On The Roof are well known and loved over in Europe. It's a favorite children's classic. And it is so well deserved.

When I was little, Pippi was everything I ever wanted to be : wild, free and completely unapologetic. I would get sick a lot when I was a kid (colds, pneumonia and that kind of stuff). Reading about Pippi and her adventures always made me feel bette
Manny
The following may be heresy, but, as Michael Dibdin says of his novel The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, it's the heresy of the true believer. Anyway, now that everyone's read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we can no longer avoid the question. What does Pippi think about sex? Lisbeth Salander is repeatedly identified with Pippi, and she's quite straightforward about sex. When she wants it, she goes for it; no shame, no hangups. It's hard to believe that Pippi isn't exactly the same.

Of course, Pip

L, is for Lindgren

2.5 Stars

Pippi Longstocking is absolutely a case of I-read-this-too-late-in-life.

This is NOT the kind of story my mom read to me as a child. I was too headstrong already, I didn’t need her reading about a ginger-haired nine year old who lifted up horses and refused to go to school. Wise move, mom, wise move.

I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to review this, to be honest. There is a cuteness to it, a toughness too BUT I can’t turn off pretend-mom brain. I can’t help but
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)

This one is so nostalgic for me. I grew up having my mom read the books to me and I used to watch the movies all the time as well.

Pippi Longstockingis a classic that everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. It's about a young girl who lives in a large house with a monkey and a horse, she also happens to be "the strongest girl in the world." Beside Pippi live two other children, a brother a
Celia
This book was written by Astrid Lindgren, a Swede, in 1950. Two books followed it, describing Pippi further.

Pippi is MOST unusual. She lives with a monkey and a horse and alone; no parents. She is the kind of child that would drive adults to distraction and that is what she did to me for 9 chapters. In Chapter 10, we see her strength and resourcefulness and all of a sudden, I liked Pippi better.

I like to read classics as they frequently have life lessons to teach. Not this time, but I still enjo
Sarah Grace Grzy
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, whimsical children's book! I enjoyed reading it to my younger brothers. They usually won't sit still long enough for me to read anything to them, but they actually were asking ME to read it to them! So it was a win-win in that area! If you're looking for a good "role model" children's book, this isn't really it, but it was fun, and there certainly wasn't anything bad in it. ...more
Caroline
The past is indeed another country.

When I was a child I read voraciously. I have a memory that having rapaciously foraged my way through the children’s section, I was given an adult library ticket before my time. But I am sure that didn’t really happen, not even in the rough and ready borough of London where the transition took place. My wanting just made it seem real.

In spite of my impatience for the adult section, I adored my time with the children’s library, and at the pinnacle of all child
Carolyn
Dec 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can see why Pippi Longstocking remains a favourite with children. She's clever and funny, incredibly strong and very outspoken. She's an orphan who lives alone with a monkey and a horse and has outrageous adventures, often with the two well behaved children who live next door and adore their quirky friend. Even as an adult I raced through this book, wondering what Pippi was going to do next!
Audrey

I had heard of Pippi Longstocking but had never read the books or seen any movies until now. It is a children’s classic, translated from Swedish. It’s pretty odd. Pippi is 9 years old and lives alone. She has tons of money and has super strength. Each chapter is an episode, basically. It is far removed from reality and sometimes absurd. I’m still not sure if I like it or not.

Clean content
Deborah Markus
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a review of a new translation of a children's classic. My comments and the number of stars this edition gets has nothing to do with my adoration of Pippi Longstocking, which my review of the previous edition should make pretty clear.

I'm always wildly excited to hear of new translations of books I love, so it saddens me to have to say I'm disappointed in this one.

It was published in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Astrid Lindgren, the author of the Pippi books. (Lindgren li
Anne (On semi-hiatus)
My favorite book as a young girl.
Ronyell
To be honest, I have heard of “Pippi Longstocking” when I was little, but I only saw the movies of the little red haired heroine, but then again I might have read this book when I was younger. It is just that I do not remember many children’s books that I have read when I was small. “Pippi Longstocking” is a popular children’s book by Astrid Lindgren and it details the wild adventures of an unusual girl named Pippi Longstocking. “Pippi Longstocking” is clearly one of the best children’s books ev ...more
J. Aleksandr Wootton
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood
Upon rereading in adulthood, the writer of this review is reluctantly driven to suspect that, as a child, he may have absorbed a little too much of Pippi's outlook on life. ...more
Kristie
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I remember reading this as a child. I just picked it up on audio to listen to while traveling with my grandson this summer. :)
Cynthia
This is a really delightful bit of good fun. I think that the humor of this story and it's series could be described as nonsensical, but I also think that it could be seen as quintessentially Scandinavian. Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the protagonist's habit of lying, but as she's so genuinely non-malicious in every way, I can't criticize her too much. And she often truly apologetic when taken to task about her exaggerations. All in all, mirthful silliness and entertainment. Good clean childh ...more
Reading 1001: Pippi Longstocking 12 30 Jul 25, 2022 08:05PM
Reading 1001: Pippi Longstocking by A. Lindgren - May BOTM 18 14 May 20, 2022 09:34AM
#ClassicsCommunit...: April 2021 Children's Classic: Pippi Longstocking 17 103 Oct 02, 2021 12:18PM
101 Books to Read...: Pippi Longstocking 10 37 Sep 18, 2016 10:20PM

• The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Madeline
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Goodnight Moon
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Black Beauty
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (If You Give...)
  • Stuart Little
  • The Twits
  • The BFG
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • Matilda
  • Curious George
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • Патиланско царство
See top shelves…
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian A

Pippi Långstrump (3 books)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Pippi in the South Seas

Articles featuring this book

“The children came to a perfume shop. In the show window was a large jar of freckle salve, and beside the jar was a sign, which read: DO YOU SUFFER FROM FRECKLES?

'What does the sign say?' ask Pippi. She couldn’t read very well because she didn’t want to go to school as other children did.

'It says, "Do you suffer from freckles?"' said Annika.

'Does it indeed?' said Pippi thoughtfully. 'Well, a civil question deserves a civil answer. Let’s go in.'

She opened the door and entered the shop, closely followed by Tommy and Annika. An elderly lady stood back of the counter. Pippi went right up to her. 'No!' she said decidedly.

'What is it you want?' asked the lady.

'No,' said Pippi once more.

'I don’t understand what you mean,' said the lady.

'No, I don’t suffer from freckles,' said Pippi.

Then the lady understood, but she took one look at Pippi and burst out, 'But, my dear child, your whole face is covered with freckles!'

'I know it,' said Pippi, 'but I don’t suffer from them. I love them. Good morning.'

She turned to leave, but when she got to the door she looked back and cried, 'But if you should happen to get in any salve that gives people more freckles, then you can send me seven or eight jars.”
171 likes
“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” 144 likes