Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2017 Plans > Lynn's 2017 Around the Year Challenge

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (last edited Dec 30, 2017 09:24PM) (new)

Lynn | 77 comments The 2017 List Since I am new to this, it might be best if I add books as I go for the moment.

✔=Read
➜=Currently Reading
★=Rating

✔1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 (link) The City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin ★★★★★
✔2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view) Invisible by James Patterson and David Ellis ★★★★★
✔3. A book you meant to read in 2016 The Job by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg ★★★★★
✔4. A title that doesn't contain the letter "E" H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald ★★★★
✔5. A historical fiction American War by Omar El Akkad ★★★★
✔6. A book being released as a movie in 2017 Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James ★★★★★
✔7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title The Vicious Vet by M.C. Beaton ★★★★
✔8. A book written by a person of color Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson★★★★★
✔9. A book in the middle of your To Be Read list Mean Streak by Sandra Brown ★★★★★
✔10. A dual-timeline novel The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen ★★★★★
✔11. A category from another challenge The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Difficult Topic)
✔12. A book based on a myth Bite the Dust by Cynthia Eden ★★★★
✔13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors recommended by Angela Marsons Follow You Home by Mark Edwards ★★★★★
✔14. A book with a strong female character Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman
15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland)
✔16. A mystery The Guilty by David Baldacci ★★★★★
✔17. A book with illustrations Lucinda's Secret by Holly Black ★★★★
✔18. A really long book (600+ pages) Dangerous Women by George R.R. Martin ★★★★★
✔19. A New York Times best-seller Zero Day by David Baldacci ★★★★★
✔20. A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox ★★★★★
✔21. A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read The Forgotten by David Baldacci ★★★★★
✔22. A book by an author you haven't read before The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater ★★★★
✔23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list (link) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
✔24. A book written by at least two authors NYPD Red by James Patterson and Marshall Karp ★★★★
✔25. A book about a famous historical figure Dr. Mütter's Marvels: A True Tale of Intrigue and Innovation at the Dawn of Modern Medicine by Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz ★★★★
✔26. An adventure book NYPD Red 2 by James Patterson and Marshall Karp ★★★★
✔27. A book by one of your favorite authors The Escape by David Baldacci ★★★★★
✔28. A non-fiction The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel ★★★★★
✔29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) - check all the editions Private Games by James Patterson ★★★★★
✔30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books (link) The Maze Runner by James Dashner ★★★
✔31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
✔32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle) The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg ★★★★★
✔33. A magical realism novel No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong ★★★★★
✔34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere The Reckoning: The Day Australia Fell by Keith McArdle
✔35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen ★★★★★
✔36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee (link) The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin ★★★★★
✔37. A book you chose randomly The Innocence of Father Brown by G.K. Chesterton ★★★★
38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature
✔39. An epistolary fiction Illuminae by Amie Kaufman ★★★★
✔40. A book published in 2017 The Lullaby Girl by Loreth Anne White
✔41. A book with an unreliable narrator The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins ★★
42. A best book of the 21st century (so far)
✔43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold) Builders of a New World by Mahin Khan ★★★★
✔44. A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next" (link) Memory Man by David Baldacci ★★★★
✔45. A book with a one-word title Personal by Lee Child ★★★★
✔46. A time travel novel Kill Switch by Jonathan Maberry ★★★★★
47. A past suggestion that didn't win (link)
✔48. A banned book 1984 by George Orwell ★★★★
✔49. A book from someone else's bookshelf Born of Legend by Sherrilyn Kenyon ★★★★★
✔50. A Penguin Modern Classic - any edition A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess ★★★★
✔51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays) Home by Uvi Poznansky ★★★★★
✔52. A book set in a fictional location The Finisher by David Baldacci ★★★

message 2: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Good luck! This is the first time that I've done a reading challenge like this.

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Apr 09, 2017 02:37AM) (new)

Lynn | 77 comments Kristi wrote: "Good luck! This is the first time that I've done a reading challenge like this."

Me too. Thanks. It is a bit different, getting me to step outside of the box by reading a few books that I otherwise wouldn't have picked up.