Start by marking “Follow You Home” as Want to Read:

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  40,333 ratings  ·  2,751 reviews
It was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime, a final adventure before settling down.

After a perfect start, Daniel and Laura’s travels end abruptly when they are thrown off a night train in the middle of nowhere. To find their way back to civilisation, they must hike along the tracks through a forest…a haunting journey that ends in unimaginable terror.

Back in London,
Published June 30th 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Follow You Home, please sign up.
Kimberly UGH. Thanks for pointing this out. This would drive me crazy! I *did* have this on my "want to read" list, but no more.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nida Kazi Seriously though he should have guessed abt the phone.. And the twist abt Laura is surprisingly unexpected... She could lie abt it..…moreSeriously though he should have guessed abt the phone.. And the twist abt Laura is surprisingly unexpected... She could lie abt it.. (less)

·  40,333 ratings  ·  2,751 reviews

Start your review of Follow You Home
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I am a huge fan of Mark Edwards, he never fails to surprise me with each book. Yet again, another totally unique book here with a new plot, plenty of twists and loads of moments that you will be busting to know what REALLY happened. Mark is brilliant at making you wait for the good stuff.

I like knowing that when I pick up a book by Mark I am going to like it, without fail. He knows what his readers want and gives it to them time after time. I found this one to be one of the more creative plots
Andrew
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
So bad I created an account here just to slam it.

It's like a montage of cliches and nonsense. A taxi drives through a puddle and splashes an old lady. A homeless guy jumps out of the darkness and startles a character. A pregnant lady holds her belly. The whole book is trite imagery from watching too many crappy noir films and Lifetime dramas.

Oh god, then the nonsense. The British couple, while in Romania, says "it's about 10 kilometers. That's 6 miles." Who are they converting that for? Rob and
Sandra
Daniel Sullivan and Laura Mackenzie (both in their 30's) are taking a trip around Europe. They plan on getting married and want to start raising a family soon, so this will be their last big vacation for a while. Enjoying their trip so far through France, Spain, and Italy, they board a night train in Romania... where everything starts to go very wrong. Through a series of events they get kicked off the train in the middle of nowhere, in the dead of night. They come upon a creepy house in the ...more
Christine
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Author's fave solo book.
Dear Mr. Edwards,

Here we are again. I last wrote to you in my review of The Magpies last year. I said a lot of nice things because you penned one hell of a book. Well, guess what? I hate to swell that head of yours, but Follow You Home trumps The Magpies. Not to pressure you, but The Devil’s Work is going to have to be exceedingly phenomenal to beat this one. Don’t let me down.

52 Pickup. Yes sir, this book reminded me of that great old card game my big brother used to pull on me when we were
Peter
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Wow, what a marvelous and compelling page turner. A young British couple, Daniel and Laura are making a trip through continental Europe. In Romania they lose their passports and money. What is the role of Alina and Ion, two fellow travellers, they met on the train? What about the mysterious house in the woods they discover when they are thrown off the train? Back in Britain, the events that happened in Romania seem to haunt them. They are in serious danger. Will they survive? What about the ...more
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Extremely unbelievable plot, way beyond the believability associated with any decent fiction, which hindered my ability to care even a little about any of the silly characters. I won't summarize the story -- tons of reviewers have already done that. Just know that this book starts on a high note and then makes a slow, aggravating decline encouraged by a ridiculous secret and a cast of equally ridiculous characters. This book will help you sharpen your skimming skills.
Diane S ☔
3.5 This was one creepy, creepy read. What starts as the perfect European trip for Laura and Daniel, become derailed in Romania after having their passports and credit cards stolen, they are thrown off the train by the Romanian police. Thrown off with them is Aline, a young Romanian woman they met on the train, traveling with her friend Ion. Stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no papers, Aline goes missing in the woods after entering them to empty her bladder in privacy. Trying to find Aline ...more
Suzanne
4.5 stars maybe?

I shirked my responsibilities today to read almost half of this on my rainy muggy boxing day. I’m good at this. I think my clan expect it. It was brilliant! So glad to have come across Mark Edwards and now cannot wait for The Magpies which has been on my radar far longer than this one has. Actually, my local reading community are in for a treat as I requested this one be added to my library catalogue and they obliged.

Absolute bum on the edge of my seat material, I was physically
Carol
"The evil from that house.....it followed us home."

FOLLOW YOU HOME begins innocently enough as Daniel and Laura continue their once in a lifetime travels across Europe by boarding an evening train to Romania, but the combination of a few creepy passengers and a brief nap result in being robbed of tickets, passports and $ that ultimately end with a boot off the train in the middle of nowhere with nothing but darkness and forest all around.....or so they think.

What happens next, as their nightmare

Jan
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another knock-out read from an author who truly knows how to keep a reader on their toes!

Being a mystery/suspense junkie, I'd like to think that over the years I have developed some super sleuth detective skills. This can actually be problematic, as often times I am able to anticipate where a story is going, or figure out who the main antagonist is well before the big reveal. But once again, Mark Edwards was able to lead me and my favorite book buddy Chris down many detours and dead ends,
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I discovered Follow You Home due to a stranger's review that popped up on my Goodreads’ feed when one of my friends liked it. Looky there GR, your “upgrade” actually did something okay. You go Glen Coco Goodreads! Between the cover art, title, blurb and the fact the weather forecast was calling for cloudy with a chance of meatballs I was ready to dig in to a nice scary story.

Turns out this wasn’t a horror but ended up being a thriller
Babydoll
Aug 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was almost a DNF but I had to know what was the big bad thing that happened to Laura and Daniel that they swore to never tell. It takes over half the book to find out and it's disappointing. I skimmed the last half to see how it all plays out. At this point I still didn't know if I was reading a story about horror, the supernatural, or a crime thriller. The writing is amateurish, the plot implausible, and the characters aren't likeable.
Zoeytron
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Backpacking in Europe, a last hurrah before returning to London and settling into married life, jobs and babies, Daniel and Laura board a night train in Romania bound for Sighisoara. Upon discovering their passports, train tickets, and money have been stolen from their backpacks, they are unceremoniously thrown off the train in the middle of nowhere. A nightmare of gargantuan proportions is about to commence. What Daniel and Laura experience will follow them home and affect their relationship ...more
sue
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The more I read of this mans work the more I love it.

This author is one outstanding thriller story teller. From the very start to the very end you are so engrossed in the story that my house roof could cave in and I'd be annoyed its interrupted my read. I kid you not.

We have this couple who are travelling around before they settled down, marry and have children. The thing is, they unknowingly get caught up in something that is a double dealing. They don't know it though.

I'm chatting like a
Elaine
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura and Daniel are on the trip of a lifetime around Europe, supposedly their last blow-out before they settle down and start a family. But the trip ends abruptly and disastrously in Romania, an ending that we only see the build up to at first, with the complete story gradually being told to us in teasing little snippets throughout the read.

Three months after their return to London, and their relationship is in tatters. But what exactly happened? What evil happened so traumatised them that
Gary
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mark Edwards is an author I have only started reading this year but I am yet to be disappointed with any of his novels. I find his books gripping from the start and instantly engaging making them very difficult to put down. The books I have read by him are full of surprises with lots of twists and turns that keep you reading to find out more.

He sets high standards with his writing and this one was again up there with the others I have read. This novel was full of action and so descriptive I felt
Lisa
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am now a Mark Edwards fan i liked this one his combination of thriller, horror throw in a bit of psychological it worked i found myself struggling in the beginning i was engrossed by the middle.

It Was supposed to be a holiday of a lifetime for Daniel & Laura as they travel across Europe on a train their trip ends in Romania where they meet Ion & Aline everything seems to be okay until they have their backpacks stolen Are Ion & Aline to be trusted?

Back in London Daniel & Laura
Janet
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Follow You Home is the second book I've read by Mark Edwards. The first being The Magpies and I can say that after reading this the writing has improved as we're treated to a pacy, rollercoaster of a thriller.

The book begins with an English couple on a Romanian leg of an European tour they decided to take. A couple in their mid thirties that thought it would be a good idea to take a one last big holiday before they settle down and start a family. Then something goes disastrously wrong in Romania
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas & Mercer and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. 5 Stars +

Top 50 Books of 2015 "Best Horror Suspense Thriller."

Mark Edwards, one of my “go-to” authors for some of the most intense and engaging psychological thrillers; however, with FOLLOW YOU HOME, he turns up the complexity and intensity ten-fold, (like, on steroids) with a Stephen King-like, brilliantly plotted, spine-tingling, and haunting atmosphere of evil, lies, and horror.

An
Carolyn
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is one creepy book. I'm not normally a reader of thrillers but this one had me on the edge of my seat trying to work out what had happened to a wholesome young couple in a dark forest in the middle of Romania.

Daniel and Laura, a young English couple are on a backpacking trip around Europe before settling down to have a a family when they are robbed on a train in the middle of Romania. With no money, tickets or passports they are thrown off the train by the passport inspectors in the middle
Emma
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I had zero idea what this book was about, picking it up solely due to seeing Edwards' name pop up on here in glowing terms so often.

If anything, I thought that made the reading experience even better. It's a crazy, wild ride of a story and not even having the blurb to guide me made it all the more surprising.

It was hugely enjoyable but I felt the writing suffered at times. The style is splashy, all about the plot and surprises. Easy to read, a bit silly, but overall brilliant fun.
Andrea
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
Another great book from Mark Edwards,full of twists and turns thought the book didn't need that extended ending but still a great read.its abit of a horror story in Romania a couple who gets into a lot of trouble.can't wait to read more from this author.
Brandi
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

I need to read more psychological thrillers!

It’s funny because I had just finished reading a traditional romance story for the Genre Spotlight feature and wasn’t sure if I wanted to grab another one (then I saw some titles in the Kindle store and just couldn’t do it), but I did want something contemporary-ish. I normally never go to the Kindle store when I’m looking for books, but I was already in bed and decided to take a walk on the wild side.

For I am a rebel.

description

Anyway, I happened to see this
☼♄Jülie 

Daniel and Laura have had the time of their lives and are now enjoying the last leg of their once in a lifetime European backpacking holiday, before returning home to London to settle down and start a family of their own.

Unable to secure a first class sleeping cabin on the overnight train through Romania, Daniel and Laura settle into their seats to ride out the night.
Laura is uncomfortable with these arrangements and lets Daniel know that she is not impressed with his seemingly cost cutting
Crumb
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Very good, well written piece of horror/thriller. This is definitely an author to watch.
Tanja Berg
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, audio
This book was nominated in this round of Goodyear's award, in the horror category I think. Not that I'm sure. I thought it sounded interesting and downloaded it on audible for my long holiday flight. On my way back home, with three hours to go, it ended. Apparently I hadn't downloaded it completely. I almost left it at that. Given the stellar goodreads reviews I thought I'd give it another go. That saved this book from a one star rating, but only barely.

Daniel - I think, pardon me for not
☣Lynn☣
This started off creepy and thrilling but ended up being dull and stupid. The whole thing that happened at the house in the woods was disturbing yes, but I feel like it's been done before.

Still this isn't a terrible book though. That twist at the end made my jaw hit the floor!
Matt
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Edwards is back with a new thriller sure to keep reader up late into the night, especially if they travel by rail. While on a tour of Europe, Laura and Daniel are robbed in the rural townships of Romania, their passports and tickets lifted from their bags. Romanian border guards toss them from the train, along with a young woman, Alina, who sought to defend them. In the middle of nowhere, Alina trudges off and Laura and Daniel soon follow, trying to find her, but only discovering a ...more
Rosangela

I did not enjoy this one. Almost a DNF.
NOTHING happens! Unlikeable characters, unbelievable plot, did not convince me at all.
I ended up annoyed. Not my kind of book.

Tammy
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I have become a fan of Mark Edwards.

• The Blissfully Dead (Detective Patrick Lennon #2)
  • From the Cradle
  • Short Sharp Shockers
  • When She Returned
  • The Other Wife
  • What You Did
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Lying Next to Me
  • One Shot (Detective Patrick Lennon #2.5)
  • The Friend
  • Killing Cupid
  • The Good Neighbor
  • The Promise
  • The Venus Trap
  • The Perfect Child
  • Forward Slash
  • The Wronged Sons
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller #1)
Mark Edwards writes psychological thrillers in which scary things happen to ordinary people.

He loves love hearing from readers and always responds. Mark can be contacted in the following ways:
Email: mark@markedwardsauthor.com
Twitter @mredwards
Facebook: www.facebook.com/markedwardsbooks

You can download a free box set of 'Short Sharp Shockers' by visiting www.markedwardsauthor.com/free

Mark has sold
“Every dark space felt threatening, as if it contained and concealed something horrifying. My imagination filled in the details that my eyes couldn’t see, not just memories from a hundred horror movies and books, but something deeper in my brain, a line that stretched back thousands of years, fear of the dark woods hard-wired into me.” 6 likes
“This was life, really lived, really experienced, a passage of magic that would flash before our eyes when we died.” 4 likes