Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Challenges of Yesteryear > How to Be a Buddy Reader Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30835 comments Mod

How to be a Buddy Reader
~Nothing But Reading Challenges Style~

Buddy Reading is a way to help people learn to read, whether they are adults or children. Or, in the book-a-holic's world, a fun way to make a dent in our always growing TBR's. Or the final push to read that book that we keep saying "one day I'll read it".
Duration: You set the pace

Levels:
Going with the flow ► 2 to 5 books
Can't say no ► 6 to 10 books
Book Hoarder ► 11 to 15 books
Leading the Way ► 16 to 20 books
Born to Read ► 21+ books
Rules & How to:
►Pick a level and choose your own buddy read styles.
►You can read as many books as you want for each buddy read type.
►Categories may overlap, for example, City of Bones buddy read can be used as a NBRC buddy read (BR), a Revisited BR or a Read and Watch BR but can only be used once in this challenge.

Buddy Read:
The NBRC buddy reads have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. An example is The Eternity Cures buddy read

Relaxed Buddy Read:
Is similar to our usual buddy reads except there are less questions and break points. Example: Magic Burns buddy read

Informal Buddy Read:
Doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book Is similar to our usual buddy reads except there are less questions and break points. An example is The Night Circus buddy read

Book of the Month Buddy Read:
Each month books which are nominated by members are entered into polls and voted. The book with the highest number of votes will become one of our books of the month. We then proceed as in a NBRC buddy read like in the 5th Wave discussion

Leading a Buddy Read:
A buddy read where you either have a leading role or volunteer for a set of questions and comments.

Read to One Another:
Read the book out loud to others: a child, an elder, to the blind, in a reading group.

Revisiting a Buddy Read:
Read a former BOM or Buddy Read and get in touch with your inner Tomb Raider uncovering the discussion and answering the DQ's on your own. You never know what surprises it will bring.

Can't Resist a Buddy Read:
Some members don’t like structured buddy reads like ours or are true BR-addicts or simply can’t say no to a buddy read, so, feel free use buddy read books from any discussions or book clubs out there.

Series Chasers:
Be part of a book series discussion where the goal is the series per se and different readers can be at different paces (not the same book number).

Partner's choice:
A buddy read where your buddy picks a book for you to read and you choose for a buddy (doesn't have to be the same person).

Re-reading with a Buddy:
When you can say no to a buddy read even when you already have read the book.

Buddy Read Pal:
You and a reading partner choose a book to read and discuss. No outsiders. This one is just for two.

Self Buddy Read:
Read out loud in order to improve on your delivery. You can tape yourself reading to keep track on your progress.

Read and Watch:
Buddy read the book, watch the movie (or TV series, or musical, or play) - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. An example is One Day buddy read

Author’s Buddy Read:
Is a buddy read focused in the author. It can be an Author of the month buddy read with discussion threads about the different books/series by that author or a book-a-month author’s challenge like the Neil Gaiman - A book a month buddy reads

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Kristie (last edited Aug 31, 2013 10:14AM) (new)

Kristie | 3206 comments I'm definitely joining this one! I think I have more buddy reads planned than BOMs coming up! :)

Duration: TBD
Level: TBD
Completed: TBD

◈ Buddy Read:
The NBRC buddy reads have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. An example is The Eternity Cures buddy read

◈ Relaxed Buddy Read:
Is similar to our usual buddy reads except there are less questions and break points. Example: Magic Burns buddy read

◈ Informal Buddy Read:
Doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book Is similar to our usual buddy reads except there are less questions and break points. An example is The Night Circus buddy read

◈ Book of the Month Buddy Read:
Each month books which are nominated by members are entered into polls and voted. The book with the highest number of votes will become one of our books of the month. We then proceed as in a NBRC buddy read like in the 5th Wave discussion

◈ Leading a Buddy Read:
A buddy read where you either have a leading role or volunteer for a set of questions and comments.

◈ Read to One Another:
Read the book out loud to others: a child, an elder, to the blind, in a reading group.

◈ Revisiting a Buddy Read:
Read a former BOM or Buddy Read and get in touch with your inner Tomb Raider uncovering the discussion and answering the DQ's on your own. You never know what surprises it will bring.

◈ Can't Resist a Buddy Read:
Some members don’t like structured buddy reads like ours or are true BR-addicts or simply can’t say no to a buddy read, so, feel free use buddy read books from any discussions or book clubs out there.

◈ Series Chasers:
Be part of a book series discussion where the goal is the series per se and different readers can be at different paces (not the same book number).

◈ Partner's choice:
A buddy read where your buddy picks a book for you to read and you choose for a buddy (doesn't have to be the same person).

◈ Re-reading with a Buddy:

◈ Buddy Read Pal:
You and a reading partner choose a book to read and discuss. No outsiders. This one is just for two.

◈ Self Buddy Read:
Read out loud in order to improve on your delivery. You can tape yourself reading to keep track on your progress.

◈ Read and Watch:
Buddy read the book, watch the movie (or TV series, or musical, or play) - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. An example is One Day buddy read

◈ Author’s Buddy Read:
Is a buddy read focused in the author. It can be an Author of the month buddy read with discussion threads about the different books/series by that author or a book-a-month author’s challenge like the Neil Gaiman - A book a month buddy reads

update to follow

message 4: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments You beat me to create my spot! *grins*

Welcome to the challenge Kristie :o)

message 5: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments How To Be a Buddy Reader
Level TBD
Read 0 /TBD

message 6: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Hmmmm! Let me think what level I want

message 7: by Anima (last edited Nov 19, 2013 10:51PM) (new)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm definitely in, I think I have a similar situation to Kristie, more buddy reads than BOMs *grin*.

Duration: 09/02/13 - until completed

Level: Born to read 21+ books

Completed: 25/21+

◈ Buddy Read:

◈ Relaxed Buddy Read:
Ender's Game discussed
Siege and Storm discussed
Magic Bites discussed
Insurgent discussed
Doctor Sleep discussed

◈ Informal Buddy Read:
The Book Thief discussed

The Mysterious Affair at Styles discussed
The Prophet discussed
The Cuckoo's Callingdiscussed
Etiquette & Espionagediscussed

◈ Leading a Buddy Read:

◈ Read to One Another:

Before I Go To Sleepdiscussed
Rebeccadiscussed
Daughter of Smoke & Bonediscussed
Unwind discussed
A Week in Winter discussed
Scarlet discussed
Allegiantdiscussed

◈ Series Chasers:
Dark Lover
Storm Frontdiscussed
Magic Burnsdiscussed
Fool Moondiscussed
Magic Strikesdiscussed
Grave Surprisediscussed
Grave Sightdiscussed

◈ Partner's choice:

A Game of Thrones
The Great Gatsby

◈ Buddy Read Pal:

◈ Self Buddy Read:

◈ Read and Watch:

◈ Author’s Buddy Read:
Coraline discussed
The Graveyard Book discussed
American Gods

message 8: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3206 comments Lol Sonia! Sorry. ;)

Yay Anima! I think we are in many buddy reads together over the next few months. :)

message 9: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments Kristie, yes, we are, and I'm really happy about it :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Kristie wrote: "Lol Sonia! Sorry. ;)

Yay Anima! I think we are in many buddy reads together over the next few months. :)"

I think I am right there with you gals:)

message 11: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments That is really great, Sarah :), he have a nice buddy reads' company :D

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3206 comments I think so Sarah! Are you joining the challenge?

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments No. Just saying "hey."

message 14: by Nicole (last edited Aug 31, 2013 07:25PM) (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Man, watch me storm this challenge in the month of September.

These can be BRs from other groups too, right?

message 15: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3206 comments Nicole wrote: "Man, watch me storm this challenge in the month of September.

These can be BRs from other groups too, right?"

Hi Nicole! I had the same question, then I noticed that there is a category called "Can't Resist A Buddy Read" and it states that you can use buddy reads from other clubs there. :)

message 16: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3206 comments Oh, a related question I have though is - Would BOMs for other clubs go under "Book of the Month Buddy Read" or "Can't Resist A Buddy Read"?

message 17: by Nicole (last edited Sep 05, 2013 05:07PM) (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Righto! Let's get this underway.

Duration: TBA
Level: Born to Read ► 21+ books
Completed: 0/21

1. Paper Towns - "Can't Resist a Buddy Read"
2. Magic Bites - "Series Chasers"
3. The Emperor Mage - "Re-reading with a Buddy"
4. One Day - "Relaxed Buddy Read"
5. Summer Knight - "Partner's Choice"
6. Written in Red - "Partner's Choice"
7. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - "Author's Buddy Read"
8. Insurgent - "Relaxed Buddy Read"
9. Scarlet - "Relaxed Buddy Read"

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Dec 16, 2013 11:50PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14256 comments Mod
Clearly I'm in for this one too ;)

Duration: 1 Sept 2013 - 14 Dec 2013
Level: Born to Read ► 21+ books
Completed: 21/21

◈ Buddy Read
Prodigy read 17/10/13
Insurgent read 26/9/13

◈ Relaxed Buddy Read
Siege and Storm read 6/9/13
Ender's Game read 2/1//13
Magic Bites read 12/9/13

◈ Informal Buddy Read
The Book Thief read 4/10/13
Allegiant` read 14/12/13

◈ Book of the month Buddy Read
Coraline read 24/9/13
The Cuckoo's Calling read 15/10/13
The Firebird read 8/12/13

◈ Leading a Buddy Read
Shades of Earth read 3/9/13

◈ Revisiting a Buddy Read
Daughter of Smoke & Bone read 19/10/13

◈ Can't resist a Buddy Read
The Hundred-Foot Journey read 15/9/13

◈ Series Chasers
Storm Front read 19/9/13
Fool Moon read 24/9/13
Magic Burns read 15/10/13
Magic Strikes read 8/12/13

◈ Re-reading With a Buddy
One Day read 19/9/13

◈ Read and Watch
The Princess Bride read 11/12/13

◈ Author's Buddy Read
The Ocean at the End of the Lane read 18/10/13
The Graveyard Book read 15/11/13

Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth RevisSiege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh BardugoMagic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona AndrewsOne Day by David NichollsCoraline by Neil GaimanProdigy (Legend, #2) by Marie LuEnder's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) by Orson Scott CardThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert GalbraithThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Princess Bride  by William GoldmanThe Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. MoraisInsurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica RothStorm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim ButcherFool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim ButcherThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) by Ilona AndrewsDaughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini TaylorAllegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth The Firebird (Slains, #2) by Susanna KearsleyMagic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I never doubted it, Karen ;)

message 20: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh, a related question I have though is - Would BOMs for other clubs go under "Book of the Month Buddy Read" or "Can't Resist A Buddy Read"?"

Only the first 3 categories are exclusive of NBRC. All the others can be from other groups. So any BOM, as long as it's decided by a poll, can be used for "Book of the Month Buddy Read"

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I can't resist a buddy read or another challenge so of course I'm in. This is also a good way for me to keep track of my buddy reads, hehe. I have no idea what level I'm going for. I need to figure out all my BR first, LOL! Just count me in and I'll figure this out. :)

Duration: Eternal
Level: Undecided

Rules and stuff and other assorted ideas to come...

message 22: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "I can't resist a buddy read or another challenge so of course I'm in. "

Wait, you mean there is someone that can resist challenges and buddy read?

*gasps of shock*

message 23: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments Welcome to the challenge Ezi, Anima, Nicole, Karen & Teresa!!!

*says hi back to Sarah*

message 24: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments How to Be a Buddy Reader
~Nothing But Reading Challenges Style~

Duration: You set the pace
Level:Born to Read ► 21+ books
Completed: 0/21

◈ Buddy Read:
The Eternity Cure

◈ Relaxed Buddy Read:
Bitten

◈ Informal Buddy Read:

Coraline
The Cuckoo's Calling

◈ Leading a Buddy Read:
The Orphan Master's Son

◈ Read to One Another:

The 5th Wave

Ink
The Testing

◈ Series Chasers:
Tangled Threads

◈ Partner's choice:
Mind Games
Rock Chick
Slammed
One Foot in the Grave
The Golden Lily
Wallbanger

Magic Bites
Grave Sight

◈ Buddy Read Pal:

◈ Self Buddy Read:

◈ Read and Watch:

◈ Author’s Buddy Read:
The Graveyard Book

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Coraline by Neil Gaiman The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4) by Jennifer Estep Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost The Golden Lily (Bloodlines, #2) by Richelle Mead Wallbanger by Alice Clayton Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

message 25: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3206 comments Sonia wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, a related question I have though is - Would BOMs for other clubs go under "Book of the Month Buddy Read" or "Can't Resist A Buddy Read"?"

Only the first 3 categories are exclus..."

Thank you Sonia!

message 26: by Christine (last edited Sep 01, 2013 06:26AM) (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 1050 comments Yay! I am certainly IN!

Duration: 01.09.2013 -
Level: TBD

Levels:
Leading the Way ► 16 to 20 books
Born to Read ► 21+ books

►Categories may overlap, for example, City of Bones buddy read can be used as a NBRC buddy read (BR), a Revisited BR or a Read and Watch BR but can only be used once in this challenge.

◈ Buddy Read:

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) by Julie Kagawa Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3) by Beth Revis The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith

◈ Relaxed Buddy Read:

◈ Informal Buddy Read:

Emperor Mage (Immortals, #3) by Tamora Pierce The Realms of the Gods (Immortals, #4) by Tamora Pierce Ink (Paper Gods, #1) by Amanda Sun The Testing (The Testing, #1) by Joelle Charbonneau Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

The Prophet (Graveyard Queen, #3) by Amanda Stevens

◈ Leading a Buddy Read:

The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1) by Moira Young Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2) by Leigh Bardugo

◈ Series Chasers:

◈ Partner's choice:

◈ Buddy Read Pal:

◈ Self Buddy Read:

◈ Read and Watch:

One Day by David Nicholls

◈ Author’s Buddy Read:

Coraline by Neil Gaiman The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

message 27: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments Welcome to the challenge Christine.

Love your books, But Ink and The Testing aren't NBCR buddy reads, so they can't be used for the 3 first categories (buddy read, relaxed br and informal br).
However, you can fit them on "Can't Resist a Buddy Read"

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Sonia wrote: "ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "I can't resist a buddy read or another challenge so of course I'm in. "

Wait, you mean there is someone that can resist challenges and buddy read?

*gasps of shock*"

Crazy, right?? You would think in a group called Nothing But Reading Challenges, at least one person would have a little self control about joining challenges! ;)

message 29: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 447 comments I'm a little confused Bout this challenge. so for this challenge we have to join some buddy reada to complete it?

message 30: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments Yes.

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) wrote: "Crazy, right?? You would think in a group called Nothing But Reading Challenges, at least one person would have a little self control about joining challenges! ;) "

Hahaha!

message 32: by Kari (last edited Dec 01, 2013 03:25PM) (new)

Kari (mazuka) | 427 comments Update - 12/1/2013

Level - 1 read 2-5 books. (going to start light)

I have read 3 books so far for this challenge!

The Raven Boys The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater finished 9/2013

A Discovery of Witches finished 10/2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray finished Nov 2013 The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray

message 33: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments Welcome to the challenge Kari!

message 34: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments ❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Book it. "This" is my type of challenge. Unfortunately, my personal life is a mess of unpredictability at the moment..... and it's SERIOUSLY messing with my reading!Blah!

Have fun for me, all of ..."

Don't you hate it when RL decides that she's more important than our reading time? I do. I'm always arguing with mine about that.

I'll hope that yours stops giving you trouble real soon.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) ❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Book it. "This" is my type of challenge. Unfortunately, my personal life is a mess of unpredictability at the moment..... and it's SERIOUSLY messing with my reading!Blah!

Have fun for me, all of ..."

"Book it"? Is that some sort of nerdy bookworm curse phrase? LOL. That's how I read it, hehe. Like, "Darn it!" but instead, "Book it!"

message 36: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10168 comments ❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Oh, if you ever need someone to hold RL back so that you can give her a ghetto slap, call me and i'm there! "

deal!

btw, I love the "book it!"

message 37: by Logan (last edited May 07, 2014 09:58AM) (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm definitely in! :)

Duration: 9/1/13 - 9/1/14

Level: Born to Read (21+ books)

Progress: 21 out of 21+ - [DONE!]

◈ Relaxed Buddy Read:
Siege and Storm
Ender's Game
Prodigy

◈ Informal Buddy Read:
The Book Thief
Carrie
The Fellowship of the Ring

The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Etiquette & Espionage
The Firebird
Next
Steelheart

◈ Leading a Buddy Read:
The Mysterious Affair at Styles
Etiquette & Espionage

◈ Series Chasers:
The Dresden Files series
Kate Daniels series
Iron Druid Chronicles
Vampire Academy
Night Huntress series

Magic Bites

◈ Read and Watch:
One Day
The Princess Bride

message 38: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Welcome to the challenge, Kari and Logan!

message 39: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Just finished my first buddy read! Paper Towns Looking forward to the next one: Magic Bites

message 40: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Yay!

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Man, I have totally loved the last two days. I have managed to stay up and reading in bed until my eyes refused to keep focus on the words. Basically fell asleep with the words playing behind my eyelids both nights.

Bliss.

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Oct 05, 2013 04:01PM) (new)

I've read 10 books for this in a month. You guys are clearly a bad influence ;)

message 43: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Very bad! I think so too :) I was just thinking about how I needed to update this thread the other day...

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Whoops, forgot all about this challenge. So glad my notifications are actually showing it today! I need to figure out my qualifying buddy reads for this before too long.

message 45: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments **hee hee**

message 46: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

message 47: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Woohoo! Major congrats, Karen. That is quite an accomplishment.

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Thanks LK!

message 49: by Logan (new)

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Yay! Congratulations, Logan!

« previous 1