Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
This topic is about Ender's Game
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Card, Orson Scott - Ender's Game (Ender's Saga #1), "Relaxed Buddy Read" Start Date 20 October 2013

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

Synopsis
In order to develop a secure defense against a hostile alien race's next attack, government agencies breed child geniuses and train them as soldiers. A brilliant young boy, Andrew "Ender" Wiggin lives with his kind but distant parents, his sadistic brother Peter, and the person he loves more than anyone else, his sister Valentine. Peter and Valentine were candidates for the soldier-training program but didn't make the cut—young Ender is the Wiggin drafted to the orbiting Battle School for rigorous military training.

Ender's skills make him a leader in school and respected in the Battle Room, where children play at mock battles in zero gravity. Yet growing up in an artificial community of young soldiers Ender suffers greatly from isolation, rivalry from his peers, pressure from the adult teachers, and an unsettling fear of the alien invaders. His psychological battles include loneliness, fear that he is becoming like the cruel brother he remembers, and fanning the flames of devotion to his beloved sister.

Is Ender the general Earth needs? But Ender is not the only result of the genetic experiments. The war with the Buggers has been raging for a hundred years, and the quest for the perfect general has been underway for almost as long. Ender's two older siblings are every bit as unusual as he is, but in very different ways. Between the three of them lie the abilities to remake a world. If, that is, the world survives.
Ender's Game is the winner of the 1985 Nebula Award for Best Novel and the 1986 Hugo Award for Best Novel

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Movie Tie-In) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card El juego de Ender (Saga de Ender, #1) by Orson Scott Card

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 21, 2013 03:05AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
Chapters 1-4 (pages 1-27) : pause to discuss (start)
Chapters 5-12 (pages 28-159): pause to discuss (middle)
Chapters 13-15 (pages 160-end): discuss end

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14340 comments Mod
Just before the film's release!

The film will first be released in the United Kingdom and Ireland on October 25, followed by the United States of America on November 1, 2013, Australia on December 5, 2013, New Zealand on December 26, 2013 as well as eight other countries on October 30 and 31

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in :)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments In Poland it is going to be released on November 1, 2013.

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

You get it nice and early then :)
Sorry that Poland wasn't included on the list that I copied that info from!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments No worries, I've learnt that some of the release dates are close to those in the US, while some are a few weeks later, so I tend to check it just out of habit :)

message 8: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3234 comments I'll try to join this read. I've been wanting to read this, but I also seem to be running a bit late on all my reads! I keep overbooking myself. :)

Corey (coreyhuffman) | 389 comments I would love to take part in this, give me yet another reason to re-read the book, it has been awhile, sadly I can't remember the specifics anymore.

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I would love to take part in this but need to see if I can fit it in first!
I've been wanting to read this book for ages.....

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Welcome Corey!
Same here Michelle - I'm going to squeeze it in somehow ;)

message 12: by Fictitious1 (new) - added it

Fictitious1 | 66 comments I've been meaning to read this for ages and I really want to read it before I see the film. This buddy read is exactly what I need to stop the procrastinating. :)
Fantastic timing.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Good stuff :)

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2 comments First buddy read and something said to be fantastic?

I'm ready!

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Oct 21, 2013 12:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

There are 15 chapters to the book so I am thinking:

Chapters 1-4 : pause to discuss (start)
Chapters 5-10: pause to discuss (middle)
Chapters 11-15: discuss end

Feel free to set your own pace, and use spoiler tags if commenting at more frequent intervals than above

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Start - Chapters 1-4

Interesting premise so far, although I'm having trouble getting my head around Ender only being 6 years old. That doesn't ring true to me right now.
I also feel a bit nostalgic reading this as it reminds me of similar stories/movies that were written around this time period (mid 80s) and how innocent they are compared to "modern" stories in this genre.

Enjoyable enough, I'm looking forward to the next part

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I ended up having to read this early for my book club at the start of the month, so I'm going to chime in mostly as responses to others' posts.

Start - Chapters 1-4

I agree Karen. Ender never sounded like a child - and even for a genius child he should still have different speech patterns or thoughts that are age appropriate.

I also wish we got to see a little more of Ender's home life. I am so curious about his relationship to his parents and what kinds of secrets he shares with his siblings.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm a little bit late, I started yesterday, but went to taking out the monitor, so I feel I need to read some more to have some thoughts on this book.

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter 6 - Giants Drink

I have to admit to being a bit shocked by the racial slurs that were bandied about in this chapter. Perhaps these terms are more sensitive these days than when the book was written. Did anyone else feel that? I wonder if this was edited in newer versions?

Samantha Leighanne (sleighanne) I have been meaning to read this book for ages and I'm finally going to start it. I'm behind you all, but I will catch up this evening when I get off work!

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

No probs Samantha - we are all at different places and I'm reading slowly :)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments @Karen - It definitely bothered me. What was the purpose of such harsh language, from out of nowhere, that does nothing to advance the plot? I took it as the author's true colors showing. I already don't like him because of his anti-marriage equality stance, but this? Disgusting.

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Glad it wasn't just me Logan, although I had hoped newer version of the books had removed it.

You may be right about the author. I must admit, I had no idea until Steven highlighted that to me. Such a shame because it has coloured my view of his books (the only other one I have read is The Lost Gate which was an awesome concept with an ordinary execution)

I'm a bit slow with this book, but I will get a bit more reading done this weekend

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I wonder if this book ever gets banned. Probably not, because that scene is the only time I remember being really offended or anything. It especially bothered me because I was reading a teacher friend's classroom copy, and I know they market this books to middle-grade aged readers.

I am looking forward to the movie, though. Overall I liked the book a lot. I felt the training scenes got a bit repetitive, especially in the last half of the book, but it was neat. I think I read that they cut his brother and sister's subplot almost entirely out of the movie.

message 25: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Interesting

I will certainly see the movie as I always like seeing how they adapt books. Now I just need to catch up on our E&E BOM so I can read a bit more of this!

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Seven

I keep reading Bonzo as Bozo so I am glad we have moved on from Salamander. I'm still not convinced about this book, but I don't necessarily dislike it and so I plough on

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I hated that name too! And they said how to pronounce it too late, so I kept thinking it like gonzo.

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I start chapter six. So far the book is gripping, but frightening. I hate bullies and the way this school is structured and the authorities are manipulating students is horrible.

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

So true Anima.

I just started chapter 9

The sub plot here between Ender's siblings is interesting. I am thinking of the comment above how the sister isn't in the movie. That seems even stranger to me now seeing the big role she has in this chapter.
The story is thrilling in many ways, but the age of the kids is a mental barrier for me to find it believable. I'm trying to get over that and just read the story!!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments The age thing threw me so much too Karen! Plus they don't sound like kids at all, which is weird.

The brother and sister are in the movie, but I think they'll just have much smaller roles. Valentine plays such an important role in Ender's story that I can't imagine they could do the movie without her. I think they probably just won't spend as much time on them as the book does, especially later on.

message 31: by Anima (last edited Oct 28, 2013 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I finished and I must say it was an unexpected read. I liked the book, but at the same time it was really depressing, the ending gave me some hope, but all in all, I was shocked by the idea how easily people can influence one another to gain certain goals.

I liked the writing style, although in some parts author's colour and some prejudice were noticed too strongly. I also found the ending a little bit too hasty, but on the other hand it allowed some closure. It reminded me a little about The Long Earth by Pratchett and Baxter.

Karen, I also couldn't get to the idea of those kids being so young, I cannot believe such stress and weariness are bearable even for adults, but when I tried to forget about their age, the story was far more real.

Altogether, four stars. And I'm really glad that I've read this book as it is perceived as classic sf story.

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

You read so fast Anima! This will probably take me another week :)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm curious about your thoughts, post anytime you can :)

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm in chapter 11 at the moment. I am definently more sucked in to the story than I was earlier on, but I still don't find the characters "believable". Oh well, on I go!

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapters 13-15 (pages 160-end)

I found the book really whipped through to the end and then just kind of tried to tie everything up. I was a bit disapointed that the Valentine and Peter sub-plot was not expanded more. I also thought the "twist" wasn't much of a surprise.
I liked this book from the standpoint of a moral story on war and colonisation. I struggled a bit knowing the author's personal opinions on certain topics that I find hateful and ignorant and I felt this did seep into his writing.

Overall 3.5 stars for me

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I saw the movie today with my book club. We all agreed it was okay - good but not great. They left all of the Valentine/Peter blog stuff. Cool visuals though! They shortened the timeline so he's the same age the whole time. I liked it.

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah I don't know that I will see the movie having read it. I imagine it is more about the 'games' than anything else.

Anyone intending to read the rest of the books in the series? I don't think I will - I'm not sure I connected enough with the characters to want to join them again in the future

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I feel the same, Karen, I'm not willing to read next installments, somehow I feel this one book satisfied my need to "meet" Ender. I think the next books won't bring anything new in this respect.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I don't plan to read any of the others either. I'm glad I read it, but I don't really care about Ender enough to continue on. I guess there's also a spinoff series that follows Bean, which might be interesting.

The movie compressed the games into 3 rounds - when they first go in, and then his game with team Salamander under Bonzo, and his game as commander of team Dragon. That's the only time they spend in the battle room. I found myself wishing we'd seen more of them, if only because they were cool to look at. They also limited the time we see him at Command school to only one or two scenes of him working with his team and then obviously the final battle. I really liked what they did with the Mind Game - it was very much how I'd pictured it with the giant and the castle.

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ah well I guess if there are cheap tickets my curiosity will get me to watch it :)