Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Princess Bride
This topic is about The Princess Bride
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Goldman, William - The Princess Bride - Relaxed Buddy Read (read the book & watch the movie)- Start December 7, 2013 REVISIT JUNE 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 28, 2013 02:50PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Princess Bride by William Goldman

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

Read the book and watch the movie
For those interested, once we have read the book, we will watch the movie and discuss the similarities/differences

Synopsis

What happens when the most beautiful girl in the world marries the handsomest prince of all time and he turns out to be...well...a lot less than the man of her dreams?

As a boy, William Goldman claims, he loved to hear his father read the S. Morgenstern classic, The Princess Bride. But as a grown-up he discovered that the boring parts were left out of good old Dad's recitation, and only the "good parts" reached his ears.

Now Goldman does Dad one better. He's reconstructed the "Good Parts Version" to delight wise kids and wide-eyed grownups everywhere.

What's it about? Fencing. Fighting. True Love. Strong Hate. Harsh Revenge. A Few Giants. Lots of Bad Men. Lots of Good Men. Five or Six Beautiful Women. Beasties Monstrous and Gentle. Some Swell Escapes and Captures. Death, Lies, Truth, Miracles, and a Little Sex.

In short, it's about everything

The Princess Bride  by William Goldman The Princess Bride by William Goldman The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William Goldman The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William Goldman The Princess Bride by William Goldman The Princess Bride by William Goldman The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure The "Good Parts" Version, Abridged by William Goldman
The Princess Bride by William Goldman The Princess Bride by William Goldman The Princess Bride  by William Goldman The Princess Bride by William Goldman La princesa prometida by William Goldman La principessa sposa by William Goldman

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Dec 07, 2013 09:28PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30837 comments Mod
December 7 - start reading!

Introduction & Chapter 1: pause for comments/discussion

Chapters 2-5 : pause for comments/discussion

Chapters 6- end : pause for comments/discussion

Feel free to read at your own pace, just try and remember to stop by at these 'pause' points for some discussion. Clearly mark what section you are referring to when making comments or use spoiler tags :)

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14263 comments Mod
I have seen this movie so many times that I am looking forward to finally reading the book!

Kristie | 3215 comments Me too!

Leslie | 149 comments I'm in!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I just reread the book last year. Or was it the year before that? LOL! So, I'm out.

I think there are DQs at the back of the book. At least in my edition.

I might have to watch the movie, though... yet again! LOL!

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

haha LK. Why not?! The movie is such fun

That's good to know about the questions. I'll have to see what editions the library has

☆Joycedale☆ i just read the book and watched the movie last month lol

Sera (seracatty) I read the book last month too, but it was a fun read so I hope you'll all enjoy it :)

Mollie | 393 comments Oooh, I'm in. My son and I have been talking about making this his bedtime book. This will be an excellent excuse.

message 11: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well you both can still drop in on the discussion Jocedale and Cecile :)

And sounds good to me Marlene!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I have the DQs at the back of the book on GRs somewhere. I'll post them in the Mods group, Karen, so you can do what you want with them.

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great - thanks LK!

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 705 comments Love to join.....have had the book on Kindle for a while. I haven't seen the movie in years either :-)

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great, welcome JoLene!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I don't think I've read this since I was age 10 or so. It would be fun to come back to it as an adult!

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Welcome ladies! Yes I agree it should be fun as an adult (I've never read it either, but love the movie) ;)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I used to watch the movie on rainy days at school, bought the book from an op shop years ago and still havent read it. So I'm in.

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great :)

message 20: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (celtic_girl) | 646 comments This sounds fun! I'd love to join :)

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Welcome!

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments I'm excited that it's getting close to time for this one! It seems like we talked about doing this forever ago, Karen.

message 23: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess (jmor) I'd like to join in on this one. I put a library hold on this book, I hope it comes in time.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

It was forever ago Ash! Can it really be almost December?!

Welcome Jessica - it's ok to join "late" too :)

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Karen wrote: "It was forever ago Ash! Can it really be almost December?!

Welcome Jessica - it's ok to join "late" too :)"

I'm pretending it's just "second July" and hoping the holidays pass me by unscathed lol. I'm a grinch!

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I saw Mandy Patinkin at the Sydney Opera House this week (he does a show with Nathan Gunn) and not only was he fab, but he also pulled out the "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya..." at one point. Awesome :)

Becca (lupingirl) | 20 comments Karen wrote: "I saw Mandy Patinkin at the Sydney Opera House this week (he does a show with Nathan Gunn) and not only was he fab, but he also pulled out the "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya..." at one point. Awe..."

WHAT?! I am so jealous of that!

Ashley Marie (darlingdoor) | 1733 comments Becca wrote: WHAT?! I am so jealous of that! "

Ditto! That's awesome, Karen!

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

We loved it :)

message 30: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney (melo_yelo) | 50 comments I'm in. I have never read this or seen the movie. I know what rock have I been under???

Kristie | 3215 comments I started this and it did not start the way I expected it to. There is an intro part that tells the reason for the book being abridged. I've only read a few pages of the Princess Bride part of the story and that is a bit different too, but so good and I can't wait to continue. (All the parenthesis can be funny, yet a bit annoying.)

message 32: by Sera (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sera (seracatty) Kristie wrote: "I started this and it did not start the way I expected it to. There is an intro part that tells the reason for the book being abridged. I've only read a few pages of the Princess Bride part of the ..."

I had a bit of trouble getting through the first part as well (at first I was seriously researching if I had the wrong book). But the actual story after that section is really good.

Kristie | 3215 comments Cécile wrote: "I had a bit of trouble getting through the first part as well (at first I was seriously researching if I had the wrong book). But the actual story after that section is really good."

Yes. I'm on page 50 and really enjoying the part of the book that I was expecting. The first part was ok, but the author did not make himself likable at all. The book definitely got better already.

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol Courtney!

And you guys have the jump on me, I haven't started yet but will this weekend :)

Kristie | 3215 comments I'm a slow reader. You'll probably finish before me anyway. :)

message 36: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (magicb) | 0 comments Just got the book and I am going to start reading tomorrow.

Becca (lupingirl) | 20 comments So is there a schedule or timeline for this one or is it less formal than that? Just curious! :)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments No time-line, Becca. This one is "relaxed." I'm not sure where the three break-points will be. That hasn't be discussed.

Becca (lupingirl) | 20 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "No time-line, Becca. This one is "relaxed." I'm not sure where the three break-points will be. That hasn't be discussed."

Okay, thanks!

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Dec 07, 2013 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sorry I just started this today (a bit late!), and I just posted a schedule in message 2 that gives suggested break points

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Introduction & Chapter 1

Ah yes Kristie I see what you mean. Have you seen the movie? I think if I wasn't at all familiar with the story then the introduction would have annoyed me as I wouldn't know where it was all going! I have finished the first chapter and there is all that cheesy humour and 'fairytale' quality I was expecting. The parenthesis can be a bit annoying! I hope we don't have too many 'interruptions' to the main chunk of the story by the italics or parenthesis

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I read the book a year or two ago for the second time. I'm not going to read it again; but, I may watch the movie! LOL!

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teehee
Any excuse to watch the movie I say ;)

Becca (lupingirl) | 20 comments Introduction & Chapter 1

I can't say I was annoyed by either the intro or the parentheses, but I've read this a few times already so I knew what to expect. I can't remember what I might have thought about them on first reading. I do love the description of Buttercup's character and her own assumptions about Westley. It made me laugh when she didn't understand his grain of sand analogy after calling him a dullard!

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Becca
I think the intro is just so unexpected! I liked it though, quite unique way to start a book. I'm not sure that I would've felt the same if I didn't know where the book was going though.
I agree about Buttercup. Oh she is just so... Buttercup...lol

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Introduction & Chapter 1

My copy has the introduction to the 25th anniversay edition in it as well. For those who don't have this edition, it starts "It's still my favourite book in the all the world. And more than ever, I wish I had written it." Which is even funnier when you google S. Morgenstern and realise he wasn't a real person and William Goldman did actually write everything. I did find both introductions funny, but I did plough through them to get to the "real" story.

Buttercup comes across as a bit of a ditzy blond, but still likeable. She didn't realise she wanted Westley until she thought she might lose him. I would have been devestated too if I'd made a declaration like that to then had the door closed in my face without a word.

Kristie | 3215 comments Karen wrote: "Introduction & Chapter 1

Ah yes Kristie I see what you mean. Have you seen the movie? I think if I wasn't at all familiar with the story then the introduction would have annoyed me as I wouldn't k..."

I have seen the movie! I can't even say how many times. I love it. In the movie I always thought "what a nice grampa coming over to read his grandson a story when he's sick". But, I also like that it was the dad in the book reading to his son even though it was difficult for him and thought it was funny that the author never read the book for himself and was surprised to find out that his dad had skipped big chunks.

The intro didn't bother me. I was just surprised by it for some reason. I was happy to get to the Buttercup / Westley part though. :)

Kristie | 3215 comments Renee wrote: "Buttercup comes across as a bit of a ditzy blond, but still likeable. She didn't realise she wanted Westley until she thought she might lose him. I would have been devestated too if I'd made a declaration like that to then had the door closed in my face without a word."

I thought the same thing. I'm sure I would have been completely humiliated having a door slammed in my face that way and I certainly would have suspected the worst.

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes Kristie, I always thought that about the "nice grandpa" too! I love how the intro shows the author in a not-so-flatering light. Too funny

And the door slamming! I agree with you Kristie and Renee. Not really the response you expect after pouring out your heart!

message 50: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess (jmor) Introduction and Chapter 1

@ Cecile, I agree I didn't expect the intro at all. It's so strange how Goldman is mixing fiction and fact; he talks about the movie and tells stories with the actual actors then he pretends like Florin actually exists. I'm still sort of thrown by it. Maybe it adds to the strange tone of the book, which so far seems to be a mix of dry wit and silly fairy tale.

I'm really enjoying the actual story so far, even the parenthesis.

« previous 1