Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Previous BRs - Authors; U - Z > Zusak Markus - The Book Thief ("Informal Buddy Read") revisit - Start Date Sept 20 2013; Jan 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 30, 2013 01:48AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Be prepared for Spoilers!

What is a buddy read?

About this buddy read
A “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

Synopsis:
The extraordinary #1 New York Times bestseller that will be in movie theaters on November 15, 2013, Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul.

It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.

Liesel Meminger is a foster girl living outside of Munich, who scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak, author of I Am the Messenger, has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time

Note: This book was BOM in December 2010 without discussion questions. The discussion is here. There are spoilers!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Book Thief by Markus Zusak A Menina que Roubava Livros by Markus Zusak La ladrona de libros by Markus Zusak La bambina che salvava i libri by Markus Zusak

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Questions to consider as you read the book. You can use these as a basis for your discussion

1) How do you like the author's writing style?

2) Who was your favorite character and why?

3) Did you have any favorite quotes?

4) What struck you the most about the book?

5) Was there anything that surprised you, that you hadn't expected?

6) What did you think of the ending? Was there anything that you wish had been wrapped up better?

7) What will you rate the book?

8) Have you read anything else by the author? If not will you do so in the future? In you have, which books and would you recommend them?

*Be prepared for spoilers*

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14217 comments Mod
Did you know there is a movie in the works? Release date is November 15, 2013 although I'm not sure if that is worlwide or just Australia

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments That was another reason I wanted to read it soon!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 149 comments I'm not sure I'll have the time to join in on this but I'm going to try.

Kristie | 3191 comments I saw the preview for this movie today! It looks good. I'd love to read this book before the movie comes out, but I'm not sure I'll have time to get to it. I'll certainly join the conversation if I can manage to fit it in. :)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in, I have had this book on my TBR for some time, and this buddy read is a great motivation to read it :)

message 8: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Diaz (literarygetaway) | 26 comments Will be joining for this buddy read!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Welcome everyone! I'm so excited!

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 149 comments I was planning on reading this but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to get my hands on the book.

Chatterjak It sounds like no one has actually started this yet - snap here! I keep seeing it popping up all over GR & the title & synopsis have hooked me! I'm also not sure how long it will take me as I'm a slow reader & have just started Oliver Twist as a September read in another group. I would love to do this as a side/buddy read though, if that's ok? If no one else has started yet, could we agree on no spoilers until we''re under way maybe? Only a suggestion :) xx

message 12: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Sep 07, 2013 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome Chatterjak!
This is an "informal" budy read which means that everyone can read at thier own pace. The "start" date for this one is the 20th September so you probably won't see much discussion on it before then.
For these types of buddy reads people usually mark the section they are talking about before writing comments, so that way if you are not up to that bit, you can not read the comment until later :)

Enjoy!

Chatterjak Thanks again! Spoilers are just too awful aren't they! Looking forward to it, hopefully Oliver will be finished with me by then! I know it's a bit crazy, but does anyone feel like they're 'cheating' on their current book if they start reading another book at the same time! I think I have an odd version of reading OCD, I just never feel right if I'm reading more than one book at a time!

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol I actually always have 3 books going at once - I just make sure they are all completely different types of books so that I don't get them messed up in my mind!

Chatterjak It's rare that I have even 2 on the go, I can't cope! ;)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm like Karen - I usually have 2 or 3 I read at the same time. :)

message 17: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10102 comments I'm not sure if I'll be able to join, since my September is a bit crowded, but this one is on my "some day" list for AGES, so I'll try :)

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sonia - you are such a sucker for BRs at the moment! :D

message 19: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10102 comments I just can't say no... *sigh*

Chatterjak So many book, so little reading time :)

message 21: by Sonia (new) - added it

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10102 comments So true

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I'm in!

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Hey Mod,
What do I need to do to get a cupcake for Team Cerulean when we do this buddy read?

And when is the BR date?

message 24: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Hey Mod,
What do I need to do to get a cupcake for Team Cerulean when we do this buddy read?

Tower Team Reading Challenge players earn a cupcake if they post a set of DQs, not just answer them.

Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "And when is the BR date?"

Looks like September 20th, per the top of the thread.

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Hey Mod,

Tower Team Reading Challenge players earn a cupcake if they post a se..."

Sorry I didn't notice the date. Thanks.

message 26: by Vi (new) - added it

Vi | 1421 comments I'll be joining the BR too - definitely need to get this book off my TBR!

Sarah | 3273 comments Me too. But I have had to forego other BR and BOTM reads for this month. But I am doing this one.

message 28: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Have you started the book yet?

Why did you decide to read this book? Is it what you expected?

What do you think of the author's choice of narrator?

message 29: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Sep 20, 2013 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote:

"Have you started the book yet?

Why did you decide to read this book? Is it what you expected?

What do you think of the author's choice of narrator?"

1) I had started the audiobook last month and kept stopping as I wasn't really paying attention. But I am determined to read it as it has gotten a lot of praise from GR friends. I will begin anew this weekend.

2) I wanted to flex my fiction wings as I tend to be a romance gal. So I am trying to diversify my reading portfolio :D

3) Death with a male's voice...not sure yet. I will have to come back to this question.

Chatterjak I haven't started yet, but I'm almost ready! Another few days should see Master Twist put to bed, and then I'll begin (and will answer those questions!). I've got 2 books on the go at the moment, I normally can't read more than one at a time, I definitely can't cope with 3 at a time! I'm glad I gave it a whirl though, I'm actually enjoying Catch 22 better in shorter chunks!

message 31: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 149 comments Was finally able to get my hands on a copy of the book today. Going to try to start reading it tonight or tomorrow,

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I have my copy, but still finishing my other reads, so I will be able to start this book at the beginning of the next week.

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

@ Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron

I hope you enjoy the book! I have gotten out of my comfort zone a bit recently too and found some great books

@ All - Sounds like everyone will be starting at about the same time, but if you can clearly state the section of the book you are referring to before commenting that will help everyone I think. Happy reading!

message 34: by Parvathy (new) - added it

Parvathy | 242 comments Hi, I am joining this one. Just wanted to know whether there is any schedule :)

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi Parvathy - No, this one is being done as an informal buddy read so there is no set reading schedule or discussion leader. Although I will pop in now and again with some general questions to kick off some discussion

message 36: by Parvathy (new) - added it

Parvathy | 242 comments Thanks for letting me know :)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm in 37% and I'm gripped by the story. I've decided to read this book due to discussions and recommendations from Goodreads friends and members of the groups I'm in. I'm not a huge fan of II WW literature (I'm from Poland and it is still a painful part of our national history), but I must admit that I'm hooked mainly because of the choice of a narrator. (view spoiler)

Sarah | 3273 comments I have only just started, already the premise seems different, and intriguing. Hopefully I can get some reading done tonight.

Anima - I have only started to learn more about WWII and Poland. Wow what your country has been through. It is really painful and scary and I am sure still very raw. I am with a black man and it has opened me up to a lot of the wounds that are still left over from slavery and segregation in my own country.

message 39: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anima - I understand, as Sarah says, it must be still very raw.
I'm glad you're hooked on the book so far. Such a good point about the narrator and taking the weight of the events

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Sorry for the late start on my end. I read through the prologue over the weekend and am diving in full force today. The narration style is going to take some getting used to, but my friend who recommended it said to stick with it for at least 150 pages.

How are you guys liking the narration?

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I've finished today, and I must say that I'm familiar with the books and films of similar topic, but the writing style and narration are unique, both in their mastery and being paradoxally ideal to enhance emotional impact of the story.

I also needed some time to get used to it, but my patience was greatly rewarded.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments That's what I keep hearing, Anima, so I'll forge ahead. I'm glad you liked it!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I'm very interested in your opinion on that book, Logan, keep posted your observations while reading, I will gladly compare with mine :)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I have also finished this one and I have a few discussion questions...

1) How do you feel after this book?

2) Why do you think Death was so fascinated by Liesel?

3) Did any of you listen to it as opposed to reading it...what did you think of the narration (the voice of death, if you will)

4) Do you think it was realistic that Liesl didn't "slip" and mention the man in her basement?

5) What did you think about Max & liesel's connection?

6) Was I the only one who thought Rudy and Liesel would end up together and married?

Ezinwanyi Chinyere Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: " Questions to consider as you read the book. You can use these as a basis for your discussion

1) How do you like the author's writing style?
It felt like I was listening to the movie. The narration even had some musical chime thing going on. Also, the narrator had a whimsical feel to his voice, like he was in on a joke

2) Who was your favorite character and why?
Liesel of course...though I felt for Max a lot

3) Did you have any favorite quotes?
hmmm, gotta think about that one

4) What struck you the most about the book?
Liesel's inner fortitude and strengh. I like when she went off on the Mayor's wife. She basically told her to get off her pity potty when everyone else's life was crappy too

5) Was there anything that surprised you, that you hadn't expected?
I have to admit that I didnt expect her to "live to be an old woman" nor did I expect to see Max again.

6) What did you think of the ending? Was there anything that you wish had been wrapped up better?
More about Max

7) What will you rate the book?
I am torn. I think I will give a ★★★★, but I don't ever want to read this again.

8) Have you read anything else by the author? If not will you do so in the future? In you have, which books and would you recommend them?
Never read this author before. He's a good writer. It will depend on the book and subject matter if I were to pick up a book from him again

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Finished it in a marathon session today. I'm still not sure my exact feelings on this one, but I echo the sentiment that I don't want to read it again. I got caught up in the emotional ending, especially with Max in the street, but overall the story was hard for me to really connect with.

Death made an interesting narrator, and I think Anima's right in that his humor and perspective allows us to see the story in a unique way. I do think at times it was too cold for me, and I hated how he kept giving away what was going to happen. I thought the story really dragged in the middle.

I loved Liesel and Hans. They were my favorite characters, with Rudy a close third. And Max, too. So many wonderful characters!

I was glad that Max lived - I was not expecting that. I do wish we'd learned more of his story after the war.

I resisted this book for a long time, and even though I thought it was well written and overall a good, important book...I'm not so sure I can say I'm glad I read it.

Sarah | 3273 comments Movie comes out in November - just watched the preview last night.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Thinking of starting this tomorrow. Anyone in this thread still reading / about to read?

Sarah | 3273 comments Yeah Nicole. Welcome. Yes I am here.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Fantastic! Whereabouts are you up to (what page am I aiming to catch up to?)

« previous 1 3 4