Start by marking “Allegiant (Divergent, #3)” as Want to Read:
Preview

Allegiant (Divergent #3)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  452,915 ratings  ·  53,057 reviews
Grca badge winner
Dual narration by Tris Prior and her beloved Tobias. Their faction-based dystopian society is broken by violence and power struggles, scarred by loss and betrayal. Beyond the fence is even more alarming. Old discoveries are meaningless. Explosive new truths change those she loves. Again she faces impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
Hardcover, UK Hardcover, 526 pages
Published October 22nd 2013 by HarperCollins Children's Book's (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Allegiant, please sign up.

Jillian I, too knew the outcome. And YES! Totally worth it. Don't let others dissuade you. BE BRAVE. I have to admit, I didn't want to read the series at…moreI, too knew the outcome. And YES! Totally worth it. Don't let others dissuade you. BE BRAVE. I have to admit, I didn't want to read the series at first. Because of the reviews. I resisted reading them for the LONGest time. I was being downright stubborn about it! And I love to read! But I own my own business and my free time is precious. So when I do get the rare opportunity to indulge in a novel, I don't want to waste my time on bad literature. So I tend to read reviews before I ever "open the cover," so to speak. I read many, MANY, reviews of these books- probably too many than recommended (or normal), ignoring the Spoiler Warnings. I gave reading it an awful lot of thought... which should have been my first clue, as I dove deeper into the world, without having read a single page. Yet. I should have known then, I was already hooked.

But all those reviews? The conclusion? Everybody LOVED Divergent. Everybody LOVED Insurgent, which was left on such a cliffhanger, that they HAD to read Allegiant.... and that's where the ending was lost on many of the fans. The so-called "loyal" fans, saying that Allegiant ruined the entire series for them. Urging newcomers to read Divergent as a stand-alone and then give up, or in most cases, urging newcomers to not read the books at all. I read such heated, angry, and devastated reader reviews, that I resolved to NEVER read this series. After Mockingjay, I just didn't want to be disappointed in another trilogy, again. :-/

But then my cousin read the series. And then my sister (who NEVER reads anything), read the series. Then my friend (and her mother)… and they all loved the series, and all thought for sure that I would love it, too. So I did something which probably would make every author cringe. I read the entire series summary on Wikipedia. So I knew the basis of the storyline, and I knew the sad ending that everybody hated. But still I resisted.... And THEN....

.... and then. I was going on vacation... and I needed something to read during my travels. As I scrolled through eBooks for sale on my Kindle, there it was again, ever-tempting me. So... I bought the Trilogy. There. Done. No turning back now.

I read couple chapters of Divergent the first day of my vacation, and then, wouldn't you know? I did not have another opportunity to read any further until my flight back home a week later. I read it on the plane, I read it during my layover in Atlanta, and on the final leg into Daytona. I couldn't wait to get home, where I binge-read the rest of the book into the wee hours of the morning. Divergent, done.

I liked it! I loved it, even. But I was expecting to like it. Reviews were unanimous there, so it was no surprise. I began to read Insurgent the next day. It took me a couple days to get through it, in between my work, but still read until past 4am one day to finish it. And there, just where people said it would be, was that dreaded cliffhanger….

I remember thinking it would take a great lot of courage on my part to begin Allegiant. As I mentioned, I had already read the entire plot summary. I had read all of those angry reviews, the ones with the spoiler warnings. I knew basically what would happen in every scene, including the ending. :( All I was missing was the details.

I knew two things. One, I already expected to hate it. And two, I already expected to be sad. I reasoned that, since I already knew those two things, that I couldn't be all let down and disappointed at the end, since I already knew it was coming. So I bit my lip and dug in. I began to read it. And I kept reading it. I read it two days straight until I could barely keep my eyes open. I sobbed my way through the end, and all through the epilogue, (with a mixture of tears and a smile), and then something unexpected happened….

Yes, I was sad. It was sad, yeah. But I did NOT hate it as I had expected to! It was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated, or that all those reviews made it out to be. I was not nearly as disappointed as I thought for sure I would be. It made perfect sense to me.

As I think on all those reviews that had me convinced that my time would be better spent reading something else, ANYthing else… I realize that all those readers most critical about the ending of Allegiant were… pardon me... no better way to say it… young. Young enough to still think life is easy, who still believe every ending must be a happy one. But I know better.. As a grown woman, I know better. Having experienced life a bit more. Having experienced true love… and true loss.

Yes, it was sad, the ending. But I was satisfied. I thought, "Of course! This had to happen!" I felt that, to have kept true to the characters... there was no other logical way for it to end. Any other way, would have been a cop out - a lame attempt to get readers to like her. And am I ever impressed that she didn't fall into that trap! Bravo, Veronica!

There was no other way for it to end. And I realized... I've known it all along. Not from reading the summaries and reviews, but from those details between the lines, the hints which had been whispering to me from the very beginning. It was brilliant! Tragic and brilliant. A tragic and brilliant ending… and so very real. I have never been so thankful to have been proven wrong.

I hope this helps other readers who are on the fence about whether to read the series. I say again, BE BRAVE!(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
1st out of 2,466 books — 12,471 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
1st out of 1,517 books — 10,549 voters

More lists with this book...

Andi
The book starts off with this epigraph from the Erudite faction manifesto:

"Every question that can be answered must be answered or at least engaged. Illogical thought processes must be challenged when they arise."

And then fantastically misses the mark.

Allegiant was so chock full of plot holes, unrealistic situations, contrived character "development", laughable explanations, and a whole load of "wtf" moments. And that's not even including the disastrous ending of this book. How this book manage
Laurel
1.5 Stars

Books are a magical thing. They get you invested in people, worlds, scenarios that aren’t even real or plausible and they make you care about them. If done correctly, I should say. Allegiant was certainly the final book of a hype-copter of a series that left millions of readers invested. Like a few other books this past year, it has left a feeling of doubt, anger, and a lot of crying.

But for me, I was left with a sort of empty feeling. Some of the emptiness was filled by frustration, an
Kruti
Dec 14, 2013 Kruti is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Mid-book review cos I'm struggling to finish this. So far Katy Perry does a good job summing this book up:

"You change your mind
Like a girl changes clothes.
Yeah, you, PMS
Like a bitch
I would know
And you over think
Always speak
Critically

I should know
That you're no good for me

[Chorus:]
'Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white
We fight, we break up
We kiss, we make up
(you) You don't
Rimsha Salam
Click Here to see the full review :)

After Reading:

I just don't know how I feel right now!

Before Reading:

Edit#3:
Here's another awesome cover by a fan <3 brilliant work !!!

Edit#2:
Ok this is so freaky 600 likes guys awesome!!! :*

Edit#1:
They are probably looking for a title other than those above that's why they haven't named it yet!

who rated this? I mean seriously the second part isn't even out yet and people rated a book that is probably not even written yet!

I think the cover of this book
Kate
Ten Hours later...

When I don’t like a series ending, I tell myself it’s partially my own fault - that the book suffered from my expectations. In the case of Allegiant, I think it went a little beyond that. Hours after finishing and sleeping on my crushing disappointment, I have to admit that very little of this book worked for me. So I’m turning to the device that I always turn to when I’m stressed or overwhelmed with something: lists. As always in a review of this nature, there will be MASSIVE
Ain020596
description

I may never be happy ever again.

The fun and laughter is over. I have finally read Allegiant, and I feel empty inside. Empty but accepting, and understanding.

This book makes Mockingjay feel like Dr Seuss. I had a few problems with it (mainly that it spelled out a bit too much for the reader, lacked finesse with the handling of themes, and was sometimes pretty predictable) but the character development was breathtaking, the plot was heart-pounding and since it's a young adult novel, I think Veroni
Nataliya
If in your story the word 'genetics' could have just as easily been replaced with the word 'magic' or 'voodoo' or 'pepperoni', your premise may seriously need some rethinking.
Why do I care? Well, education took me on the path from biology to medicine, and so I don't take f*cking with genetics lightly.

Well, now against all odds (and against my self-preservation sense) I finished this series. And it was not very good. Really, it wasn't.

It could have been somewhat salvageable - if only the autho
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
one of the coolest thing I saw at tumblr. haha

______________________________

Q: Anything else you want to add about the trilogy?
VERONICA ROTH: The third book will be called Detergent , and the tagline will be One Choice Can Disinfect You. Okay, that’s a lie.

LOL...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I understand why people are so upset with this book, but I personally thought this book was raw, realistic, and heartbreakingly beautiful. A stunning end to a fantastic trilogy. Great job, Veronica.
Danielle.
Veronica Roth:

Well, I tried writing this review without there being any spoilers, but it’s rather impossible – for me, at least. So, readers beware.

Veronica can do so much better than this, so so much. The second Tobias’ PoV was introduced I knew Tris was going to pull some heroic sacrificial bullshit and get her ass killed. I fucking knew it. Not a tear was shed from me… not a single fuck was given. Yes, dear readers, call me a Satanist slash sadist for all I care. I saw no point in this move –
Miguel :Bookpanda:
:(((((((((((

My Fan-Made Cover: (Before the real title, Allegiant, was revealed.)
Mitch
Obviously, I just don't get it.

What a Divergent fan apparently sees:
531 pages of awesome!

And what I see:
Faction crap. Faction crap. Faction crap. Tris and Four. Faction crap. Faction crap. Tris and Four. Some nonsense with genetics. Faction crap. Wtf moment. The end.

~

Admittedly, I've always been a skeptic of Veronica Roth's books - Divergent was nonsense dressed up as a dystopian, Insurgent pretty much failed at everything except piling on the bullshit - but, as I predicted in my Insurgent revi
Joey

I feel disappointed. And betrayed.

Mockingjay. The Death Cure. Requiem. I can't say I didn't see it coming. But I was really hoping Roth would prove me wrong. I was really hoping...

I had my hopes set so high, and it just...I just feel really crushed right now. This makes me question ever reading another dystopian trilogy.

(view spoiler)
♥ Becky  22
UPDATE: Veronica Roth just announced that 'Allegiant' will be from Tris AND Four's perspective!!!!!

There's this post on Veronica Roth's blog, where she says that she would have preferred it if Harry had died in the last HP book, because it would have been "by far the most powerful moment of the entire series. And beyond that, an incredible act of heroism."

...This scares me. A lot.

Please, Veronica, don't kill Tris and DON'T KILL FOUR. Please. PLEASE. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

Here's a link to her b
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
AFTER READING (EDIT)
Okay, I know I had another one of these earlier(as in a few months earlier), but I wrote that when I was really emotional so I'm back so that I can clarify some things!

The ending was not the only reason why I was so upset about this book.
Yes, I cried. And yes, it still makes me want to cry and while I believe I forgive Veronica Roth for the ending, I am still grieving. The reason as to way I am saying this is because I don't want to seem like someone who gets upset at a boo
Oct 27, 2013 Laura is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw the cover, I have to admit, I was pretty dissapointed. I mean, no Faction reference? Just waves? It looked kind of bland.

But as I took another glance...

And another...

...And another...

I realized it was fine.

***

pewdiepie gif photo: pewdiepie gif pewcry-1.gif
My reaction after the end of Insurgent

Yes, I think I am going to be out of comission until this book comes out.

Just think of me like I'm in a coma - or at least until I can figure out WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

God. I'm a wreck.

But - before I start to spiral - I think
karen
do i understand why people are all angry at this book?

oh, yes. i understand.

but i loved it.

i loved it for two reasons.

reason number one:

reason number two.

there were things about divergent that were completely unrealistic but i accepted them so that i could enjoy the book. i always thought the factions were silly and reductive and were more like limitations and rules in a game a young child designed. they didn't really make sense, but when you are playing a game with a little kid, you play by
J.m. Darhower
Five motherfucking stars. If I could give this ten stars, I would.

Veronica Roth, I want to high-five you for your courage to end it as you saw it ending and not cave to 'standards' or 'expectations'.

It was HARD to read. I'm not going to sit here and lie and say it was all sunshine and roses. I sobbed more than once. I stared blankly in disbelief. I GRIEVED. And then I hugged my Divergent books, because wow. Just fucking wow. I can't even say anything else. Not at all what I expected (because it'
Emma
edit: i've had a few hours to process this book. all i can say without spoilers is that i wish i had never started this series. i enjoyed the new characters and it was definitely entertaining. but veronica roth is a cruel woman.

the constant switch between POV's was a little annoying, but i do appreciate seeing things from tobias's perspective that we wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. my review with spoilers below is pretty harsh.

(view spoiler)
Emily May
On this highly productive Friday afternoon, you will be delighted to hear that I have made - wait for it... a book-themed faction quiz!

You answer the questions, keep a note of your answer number, tally up your score and find out which reader faction you belong to! It's revolutionary, really. No peeking ahead at the scores either; this is serious, people. So...

What’s your favorite genre?

1)Classics
6)I read everything

Do you ever read more
Ferdy
Spoilers

FUCK THIS BOOK! I absolutely fucking HATED it, to say it was a huge disappointment would be an understatement. I actually quite enjoyed Divergent even though the world building was largely unimpressive, and I wasn't a fan of Insurgent, but I was really hoping that Allegiant would amaze me. It didn't. None of it worked for me — the story, the world building, the main characters, and especially not that bastard awful ending. I think a lot of readers will be divided on Allegiant — some will
Lola
(Success! I actually managed to write this review without including any spoiler! WOW.)

description

2.5 stars. WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED? Oh boy. While I was (very straightforwardly) spoiled, a part of me did not want to believe what I had been told. I mean, come on…no way Veronica Roth could have done that. But, you know, before starting this intense read and just after finishing Insurgent, I did not believe that I could ever hate this because of how dear the characters became to me, especially Tris. Lucky me,
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It!
Allegiant was one of my anticipated books of 2013, I really didn't know how Veronica Roth could wrap up the series successfully. Allegiant was panned by fans and many fans felt that this book ruined the entire series for them. Then there's me, one of the few "black sheeps" who actually enjoyed this book and felt that it was extremely necessary that it ended this way.

Allegiant is nearly impossible to describe because there's just so many subplots going on at the same
Kat O'Keeffe
I don't know how to rate this yet. I both loved and hated it. I need more time to process and organize my thoughts. Right now I am just emotionally drained!
Shelley
Ms. Roth is indeed dauntless. I know it is her story and she can tell it the way she wanted; I wish she showed a bit of more of abnegation and provided a final book that did not make me want to regret reading the whole series. No movies for me.
Genocide criminal genius & master of all villainy Unknown

IS IT HERE YET?

WHEN WILL IT COME OUT!

description

WHEN IT COMES OUT I WILL BE WAITING....

CONTINUES WITH LIFE...

Julie
Spoiler free review (read before release date)

Life damages us, every one. We can't escape that damage. But now I am also learning this: We can be mended. We mend each other.

Brace yourselves initiates. I'm an absolute emotional wreck right now so this review could very well turn into a mess of incoherent babble. I'm still reeling from that climax. It burned with the finality of a dying match, an inevitable conclusion to a well-loved series, an end I didn't see coming despite all the theories I
Misericordia
Ok, definitely worth reading once it gets written and I get my hands on it.

Update: some of the fanmade (?) covers for the book, as follows:

description

I'm wondering, which one this is going to be:
1) Convergent,
11) Plangent,
12) Strident,
13) Ascendent,
14) Resplendent,
15) Codependent, (fitting more than in 1 way, actually)
16) Erodent,
17) Dissident,
18) Indulgen
Rose
Initial reaction: I think a reader's reaction to this book will largely hinge on how attached to the narrative they are, and what kind of story they were expecting versus the one that came across. But I had a lot of issues with this story aside from the ending it puts across, and my rating will probably hinge on what my meditation lends in consideration with all these factors.

That said, I'm probably not going to give this higher than 2-stars.

Full review:

"I'm looking for something to live for
I'm
Julie
description

I don't think the reality of this situation has really hit me entirely yet. Don't ask me why, I'm a bit perplexed myself. I should be inconsolable now, right? One of my favorite series in the history of ever is over, right? Yet, all I feel is this weird numbness and a sinking feeling of, you guessed it, the dreaded d-word (not that one, perv): disappointment. *cue violins and melodramatic sighing*

WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL, ALLEGIANT? You were supposed to make my life come to a standstill until I fini
Book Ending/Movie Ending 519 1927 15 hours, 16 min ago
Veronica Roth *Spoilers* 8 29 15 hours, 21 min ago
Let's Talk Love S...: Allegiant - Buddy Read 2 4 Apr 19, 2015 07:36AM
The thread: This book or that book? 1457 781 Apr 18, 2015 12:37PM
A Million More Pages: 3 - Allegiant (Divergent): Apr 30 4 5 Apr 18, 2015 05:24AM
Some questions about Tris and Four *Spoilers* 3 35 Apr 13, 2015 07:24PM
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)
  • Fragments (Partials, #2)
  • Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)
  • The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • The Eve (The Eden Trilogy, #3)
  • Shards and Ashes
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
Veronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy, ALLEGIANT, will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of ...more
More about Veronica Roth...

Divergent (3 books)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Divergent (Divergent, #1) Insurgent (Divergent, #2) Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5) Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)

34 trivia questions
16 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.” 2667 likes
“I fell in love with him. But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me.” 2417 likes