Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Prodigy (Legend, #2)
This topic is about Prodigy
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Lu, Marie ; Prodigy (Legend #2); "Relaxed Buddy Read" (Start Date: October 10, 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Prodigy by Marie Lu

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers

Synopsis
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu Legend – Schwelender Sturm (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 14, 2013 12:37AM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
Start: Pages 1-121 (34%) and pause for comments questions
Middle: Pages 122-303 (86%) and then pause
End: Pages 304-end

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14450 comments Mod
FYI
Life Before Legend (Book #0.5) is a free novella available to read here

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments My copy is in transit to my library! Getting excited!

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

:D

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Logan wrote: "My copy is in transit to my library! Getting excited!"

Mine too!!

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

None of mine have it which is annoying! Another one to buy on my kindle :)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I jumped in early on this one. This time I have a physical copy from the library, and the blue text for Day is super annoying. : / I'm having a harder time getting into this one, even though it picks up right away from Legend. Now that they're working together it doesn't seem as tense, I guess?

message 9: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

:( You may be right that the tension slips.

I won't be starting this until tomorrow I think

message 10: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I already read this one, but wanted to get the audio CDs. They don't have any. They only have the download.

Lanaia (marjetica) | 30 comments I'm starting today. We don't have schedule and questions for this one?

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Doesn't look like it. Shall we say something like 50 pages a day for those of us who haven't started yet?

message 13: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Welcome Lanaia :)

We are doing this as a "relaxed" BR so will just have a few points to stop and discuss the book (and you can put comments at any stage using spoiler tags if required)

I'm thinking:
Start: Pages 1-121 (34%) and pause for comments questions
Middle: Pages 122-303 (86%) and then pause
End: Pages 304-end

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Logan, I have the large print copy from the library and that doesn't seem to have blue print, just different fonts like the last time around.

It's a good beginning but maybe I'm spoiled by reading 'Insurgent' recently. Day is not as compelling as Four ;)

message 15: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

So I'm just 47 pages in and I see what you guys mean. Day is, so far, being shown as pretty weak and vulnerable. Not at all the character I remember.
I also find their immediate inclusion into the Patriots a bit weird. They are trusting Day and June with an awful lot if information.
And do we smell a love triangle with Anden coming up? sigh.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Laughs. Oh Karen, I shouldn't find it funny, but I questioned the love triangle element as soon as Tess walked back onto the scene.

Not sure I have a lot of hope for this one. And it's only a handful of chapters in so far.

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ah yes.... And there is Tess. Love square?!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments At least it's a different shape, potentially.

message 19: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol!

Angelina (angelinajewel) I'll get the book from my library. It's really good.

Lanaia (marjetica) | 30 comments I'm about a quarter in and I'm still waiting for this book to become more interesting.

Day had very long hair and they cut them to shoulder-length so the people wouldn't recognize him. Why didn't just cut them short? That was the part that bothered me most for now. Or maybe it just bothered me because I prefer guys with short hair, haha :D

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I struggled to see how shoulder length hair was a big improvement from straight out long hair too.

I'm almost halfway through now and I've been in for about 20 pages. It gets better, I suppose.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I really don't like Tess though. I see that she's like the Patriots angel and stuff, but from her interactions with Day, she just seems really shallow and two faced. Anyone else having this problem with her charcacter?

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Start (pages 1-121 / 34%)

Ok, so it seems to just be starting to pick up now.

- totally agree about Day's "disguise". In paricular, how Jeanine looked right at him and quite intently, but the different coloured hair, eyes and a small scar made him unrecognisable?!! I don't buy it. This is either really bad editing, or Jeanine did actually recognise him, but is now following him to see what they are up to. I hope this is the case because I hate bad editing

- I really like what they have done with Thomas' character. I didn't see that coming. Now we need to decide if we empathise with him or if he really is that monster. How interesting also that they added the love interest with Mattias into it.

- Tess' character I am not so sure about. I'm with you there Nicole. She has kind of become a bit uber cool

- I'm glad the author found a way to seperate June and Day so now we have that tension playing into the book again. I must admit that first bit with them together was a bit of a *yawn*fest

- Does anyone else think that the Elector won't fall for this trap? Isn't it a bit obvious? I also think the Patriots are being awfully trusting with information to June and Day. Thoughts?

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Start (pages 1-121 / 34%)

I also thought the opening chapters were pretty boring. It's picking up now that they have infiltrated the Republic. I'm worried at this point that the Patriots are going to turn on June and Day. I don't trust the Pats any more than I do the Republic at this point. It's keeping me on the edge of my seat and anxious to find out what happens next, though, so I guess that's good. :)

I find it a little lame that after a few weeks Tess seems like a completely different person. Months, maybe. But weeks? Don't buy it.

I too liked the new perspective on Thomas. It'll be interesting to see if he experiences a change in heart toward Jameson and the Republic.

I was also very relieved and happy to learn that Ollie is okay!

The expanded world building and history is nice to have now that they're out from under the Republic's confines. It makes me wonder if this is what it's like in North Korea or other similar regimes. You can have all the power if you control the information. Thank God for freedom of the press, right?

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Middle: Pages 122-303 (86%)

It's hard not to like Anden. For some reason I trust him right off the bat, even though I probably shouldn't. I want to believe that he is trying to do right by the Republic.

The lie detector scene reminded me of the testing from Divergent. Wouldn't they have suspected June could beat the test though?

The little boy on the train was really heartbreaking.

Everyone is so busy driving wedges in between everyone else that my head is spinning! Tess, Baxter, June, Razor, Kaede - is anyone being honest? Is revolution even a good choice if no one knows what they want it to accomplish?

I have to push on to see where this all ends!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh Logan I'm so glad it wasn't just me thinking the truth test shared traits with Divergent.

message 28: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Logan
re: start
Ah yes, Ollie! Forgot about him :)
And I agree it has that North Korea aspect for me

I haven't read your "middle" yet as I'm only at 50% at the moment. Sorry I'm a bit slow with this one. IRL and the other BOM are in the way ;)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Well I'll hold off on my end thoughts until you guys catch up. It'll be more fun that way. :)

message 30: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Finally downloaded the book. Logan said, "I find it a little lame that after a few weeks Tess seems like a completely different person. Months, maybe. But weeks? Don't buy it."

I don't know. Tess went through a lot. Everything she believed was proven to be false. The government she loved ordered that her entire family be killed. She learns people who don't pass the testing are killed. Her brother's best friend, whom she thought she could trust, actually performed her brother's assassination. I can't imagine she'd go unchanged.

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisarenee - I think you are confusing Tess with June who had all those things happen to her ;)

Tes was 10 when her family abandoned her, and then Day took her in. She is only meant to be 13 so I find her sudden maturity and the romantic affection towards Day has also come out of nowhere. I'm with Logan on this... her character has changed substantially in just a few weeks. I'm only at 50% of the book, but I feel like it is obvious this is a fairly new author and that is one example. I am still enjoying it, but it isn't exactly a literary masterpiece

message 32: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Oct 17, 2013 10:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Middle - pages 122-303 (86%)

I like Anden too. I understand why June put a stop to the plan, but it was also EXTREMELY trusting of her - and of Day to trust her enough too

I like where the story has headed. Things aren't so green on the other side if the fence. And of course, the reason everything seemed a bit whack with Razor and Day not being recognised have now come together

Kaede also has an important role in this book. I hope we get more info on her in the next

Only 35 minutes of reading to go! Must push on :)

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pages 304-end

I ended up being really very impressed with this book! Despite the whole YA love triangle biz that doesn't float my boat, I loved how she developed the characters. Marie Lu really developed herself as a writer through that process I feel.
This was not a "meh" book 2 for me, as so many of them are. I ended up giving it 4 stars because I think it was a good book in its own right and sets up book 3 nicely.
How unfortunate that just as I thought Kaede would be a good character for book 3...well... !

I'm so interested in what she will do in book 3. Will Anden really be the golden child? Is Day's prognosis real? Will June work it out? Will Tess get a grip?

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Pages 304-end

Yes! The loss of Kaede was so sudden and shocking. Here I thought we'd get a lot more of her finally. Lu spent so much time setting her up that it didn't seem fitting for Kaede to disappear so quickly.

I wasn't that happy with where this ended. I'm not feeling much motivation to read book 3. I had a similar experience at the end of Insurgent - what was supposed to be a big reveal to turn things on their head for the next stage ended up falling flat for me. As much as I really liked this book, do I care whether June and Day end up together? Or whether June and Anden lead the Republic to a better place?

Of course, I felt little motivation to keep reading after Legend, too. And I ended up loving this one anyway. :) Maybe it's just a sign that the trilogy thing is getting to me.

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I like your new picture Logan :)

Yes, it seemed off that Kaede was set up that way to be killed off. I know how you feel about this being similar to the Divergent series. Although I actually preferred this series more so far. I also don't care so much about June and Day getting together, but I would like to see what happens with the Republic.

message 36: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Karen wrote: "Lisarenee - I think you are confusing Tess with June who had all those things happen to her ;)

Tes was 10 when her family abandoned her, and then Day took her in. She is only meant to be 13 so I f..."

You're right I was. Oops!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Karen wrote: "I like your new picture Logan :)

Yes, it seemed off that Kaede was set up that way to be killed off. I know how you feel about this being similar to the Divergent series. Although I actually prefe..."

Thank you! I got sick of my old one, and for my birthday this year one of my Facebook friends added the unicorns and rainbows to my profile pic. It makes me smile every time I look at it, so I made it my Twitter pic, and I figured why not GR too? Hee. It reminds me of those old Lisa Frank folders and Trapper Keepers.

I definitely prefer this to Divergent, but then again, I harbor ill-deserved animosity toward that series. Something about the hype just rubs me the wrong way.

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Very cool about your photo!
and I must admit I am frequently surprised by what books get "hype" while others remain unknown.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I think I missed all the hype to do with Divergent, so I don't have that bias.

I know I had this conversation with Karen already, but ultimately I jut don't think I had the connection to the characters that I've had in other books like Divergent and Delirium especially. Even when interesting things were happening at the end, it was ruined because Marie Lu hadn't quite had me invested in her characters, sadly.

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I find that intriguing Nicole as I felt that way with Legend, but I thought she really developed her writing skills more in this book to bring the characters to life much more. In saying that, I feel she still has alot of work to do on refining her writing ability, but I was impressed with the improvement between the books

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I read Legend before I read those other books I listed. That might be another reason for not seeing the improvement ;)

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well I sure understand that - especially compared to Lauren Oliver who is a marvellous writer!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Delirium just made me squeal over every single page.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Me too Nicole! Her writing is breathtaking. I actually liked Pandemonium and Requiem better.

message 45: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pandemonium was my favourite.
I HIGHLY recommend Before I Fall. That's where I fell in love with her writing

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I think I'll grab before I fall if I can find a copy. I wasn't a big fan of Pandemonium, sadly, (again because of characters) but in this thread I feel like quite a harsh critic ;)

message 47: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

lol! Diversity of opinions are always good :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I agree!

Karen, you're in Sydney, aren't you? How close are you to the fires? I hope not too close!

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about 50km from the fires, but I work out that way so many of my colleagues were evacuated and some have lost their homes (actually one of my colleagues is the Blue Mountains Mayor!) so if has been a worrying week that's for sure. The last fires I remember that we're this bad were in 1993 and I was stranded up the coast surrounded by fires

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments That's so scary! Stay safe!