2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2012 > *NEW* Buddy Reads Introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 344 (344 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Buddy reads are a good way for members to choose which books they would like to read and discuss with other members in the group. Beginning in July we are going to change up the Buddy Read section a bit to make it less limited!

Buddy Reads

This section is for all of our members who are interested in reading with a buddy or 2 or 3! All you have to do is:

1)Post which book you would like to read (Link or cover is fine).
2)Post the dates you intend to read the book (ex: Month of July, July 1 - July 15, etc.).
3)If you are interested in joining a nominated book, post which book you are interested in reading (Name and Link/Cover of Book).
4)I will create a thread for discussion of each of the Buddy Reads for the book and those interested.

This new way of Buddy Reads takes away the limit of three per month (series/non-series). Feel free to join in more than one buddy read at a time. In fact, it is highly encouraged. The more participation we have the more fun we will have!

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Ashley, can we still do The Pearl for July? It's short, so maybe we can just do two sections: Chapters 1-3 and Chapters 4-6?

message 3: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Sara wrote: "Is anyone interested in reading Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore with me? I'm looking at starting it towards the end of this month (I'm on the wait list at my library right now for it). It's a trilogy, so if ..."
I have the trilogy on my tbr-soon list but I'm pretty stacked up for June... maybe late late June/early July?

message 4: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Sara wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Sara wrote: "Is anyone interested in reading Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore with me? I'm looking at starting it towards the end of this month (I'm on the wait list at my library right now fo..."

Ok, let's do it then! I'll put all 3 in for July, maybe we'll see how far we can get?

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kara, I will make a thread for The Pearl since that was already chosen as a buddy read for July. :)

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Connieb wrote: "Sara wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Sara wrote: "Is anyone interested in reading Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore with me? I'm looking at starting it towards the end of this month (I'm on the wait list at my library..."

Connie and Sara, would you like me to make you a thread for the "Graceling Trilogy" for July?

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley These are books nominated before. If you would still like to make these a buddy read, we'll get you all set up! :)

Series Nomination Books
A Discovery of Witches - Nominated 6/2/12 (Interest)
Shadow of Night - Nominated 6/2/12 (Interest)
The Tea Rose - Nominated 6/2/12 (Interest)
Kitty and the Midnight Hour - Nominated 6/5/12
Dead Until Dark - Nominated 6/5/12
The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Nominated 6/5/12
Heroes of Olympus Series - Nominated 6/5/12

Non-Series Nomination Books
The Pearl - Nominated 6/2/12 (July Buddy Read)

message 8: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Ashley wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Sara wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Sara wrote: "Is anyone interested in reading Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore with me? I'm looking at starting it towards the end of this month (I'm on the wait li..."

Sure!

message 9: by Nathan (last edited Jun 11, 2012 05:34PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Just saying, while The Mysterious Affair at Styles is technically a series book, I wouldn't say it is. It is the first Hercule Poirot book, but if we did a buddy read, I wouldn't say that we had to keep going (since there are about 40 or something of them!).

That (long rant) said, however, if there is more interest I'd be willing to do a buddy read of The Mysterious Affair at Styles. It'll be a re-read for me but I remember quite liking it! :D Maybe for July? or August? Either summer month is good for me, depending on what the other interested people want.

message 10: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Ashley wrote: "These are books nominated before. If you would still like to make these a buddy read, we'll get you all set up! :)

Series Nomination Books
A Discovery of Witches - Nominated 6/2/12 (Interest)
Shad..."

I was going to try to read A Discovery of Witches before Shadow of Night comes out in July (10th). Is anyone interested in trying to read these 2 sometime in July/August?

message 11: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Sara wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Ashley wrote: "These are books nominated before. If you would still like to make these a buddy read, we'll get you all set up! :)

Series Nomination Books
A Discovery of Witches - N..."

I think we should just live next door to each other and be neighbors, lol.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Connie and Sara, would it be alright if I joined in with A Discovery of Witches for July? I was supposed to read it this month, but I'm not going to get to it. :)

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Jun 11, 2012 07:10PM) (new)

Ashley This is just a reminder to me for threads I need to create for July so far.

Sara/Connieb - The Graceling Trilogy
Connieb/Sara/Ashley - A Discovery of Witches
July BR for Group - The Pearl
Trevor/Ashley/Sara - And Then There Were None

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Trevor wrote: "Just saying, while The Mysterious Affair at Styles is technically a series book, I wouldn't say it is. It is the first Hercule Poirot book, but if we did a buddy read, I wouldn't say that we had to..."

I will read The Mysterious Affair at Styles with you. I've been wanting to read an Agatha Christie book. Never read her before...Can you believe it?!? Haha

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Anyone else that wants to join in any of these books or to add your own, feel free to join in! :)

message 16: by Ashley (last edited Jun 11, 2012 06:38PM) (new)

Ashley Sara wrote: "Ashley, I haven't read any of her books either, but I tend to shy away from mysteries. Maybe I'll have to pick this book up though, since she's such a classic author :)

Would you like to be added to the buddy read? It is only about 170 pages long. You'd have it done in no time I believe. :)

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) WHAT!!! Sara and Ashley haven't read an Agatha Christie before??? You're in for a treat! But, I have to say, if this is your first, I think we should change it to And Then There Were None, which is my favorite and one of the best. If y'all are okay with that, of course!

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Are you setting up threads or groups of threads for the buddy reads now?

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I am ok with it. It is your buddy read choice, and if you think we will enjoy it better as a first then I'm all for it. :)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Trevor wrote: "Are you setting up threads or groups of threads for the buddy reads now?"

Not right at this minute. I will probably set up the July reads the last week of June just to get everything prepared. That way on July 1 we can dive right in.

message 21: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Ashley wrote: "Connie and Sara, would it be alright if I joined in with A Discovery of Witches for July? I was supposed to read it this month, but I'm not going to get to it. :)"
Oh goodness yes, please do, everyone's welcome!!

message 22: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Sara wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Sara wrote: "Connieb wrote: "Ashley wrote: "These are books nominated before. If you would still like to make these a buddy read, we'll get you all set up! :)

Series Nomination Boo..."

It's genetic I think ;) I grew up surrounded by books and now my house looks just the same! Not everyone feels this way about reading... I imagine they wouldn't be GR members though, lol.

message 23: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Ashley wrote: "Trevor wrote: "Are you setting up threads or groups of threads for the buddy reads now?"

Not right at this minute. I will probably set up the July reads the last week of June just to get everythin..."

Oh, I know. Sorry, I meant are you going to set up singular threads or a group of them for the books, when you do. I said now, but I meant now that the buddy read rules have changed.

message 24: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Ashley wrote: "I am ok with it. It is your buddy read choice, and if you think we will enjoy it better as a first then I'm all for it. :)"

It actually wasn't my choice. I can't remember who first suggested it, actually...

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I will probably be making single threads. Then those who signed up for the buddy read can discuss how they want to read and discuss...if that makes sense. I'd like you all to have more freedom with the buddy reads.

message 26: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) @Ashley. Single threads is fine as long as people hide their spoilers!! ;)

Since I don't remember who first suggested it, then I guess it's alright to change it, right?

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Haha, I think it is alright. We can add the other book as well if others want to join in. I hope I'm not getting in over my head. I was just trying to find a way to get some more participation, lol.

message 28: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I would be up for Agatha Christie as well but maybe later, since it´s not long since I read Since Then There Were None, it is good!

message 29: by Ana (new)

Ana | 131 comments I am so happy you want to read series as buddy read especially because except the first one all of them are on my TBR shelf:) and i really wanted a buddy read. Hope we'll try to read some of them this summer.

message 30: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Ashley wrote: "Haha, I think it is alright. We can add the other book as well if others want to join in. I hope I'm not getting in over my head. I was just trying to find a way to get some more participation, lol."

I think you've gotten your wish! ;)

message 31: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 816 comments I second Dead Until Dark but I won't be able to read it until mid-September :(

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley That's ok Lilac. We can wait until September should others want to do it then. :)

message 33: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (georginathelibrarian) Hello, I'm new here, but I'd love to join in on And Then There Were None. I actually wrote my undergrad dissertation on Christie's works and have read all her Poirot and Marple ones but need to catch up on the others.

message 34: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Georgina wrote: "Hello, I'm new here, but I'd love to join in on And Then There Were None. I actually wrote my undergrad dissertation on Christie's works and have read all her Poirot and Marple ones but need to cat..."

Yay! I love Agatha Christie. I'm trying to make my way through all of her books right now. I own quite a few I haven't read yet and I love finding really really old ones in used book stores. The more worn-out, the better!! :)

We'd love to have you involved in the buddy read for And Then There Were None. I'm not sure when we're starting it, sometime this summer anyway...

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Johanna wrote: "I would be up for Agatha Christie as well but maybe later, since it´s not long since I read Since Then There Were None, it is good!"

i would also love to read agatha christie anytime but i also will have to pass on And Then There Were None (only because i just read it last month lol) it's a great book!

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i was also planning on reading Gone Girl
between july 15-august 15. i don't buy a lot of hardcover books but this one looks great and i've heard good things about it- would anyone else like to read it with me?

message 37: by Ashley (last edited Jun 25, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Ashley I made those that signed up for a buddy read a thread. It is under the folder July Buddy Reads. If I have missed you or you would like to join in one of the buddy reads already listed let me know and I will add you.

For the new buddy reads to work, I will need those who want to nominate a book to give dates when they would like to read the book.
For those wanting to read a book nominated, I need you to say you want to join in the buddy read.

If it will be easier for everyone, I can start making deadlines for sign ups for each month. Just let me know what you think.

message 38: by Ana (new)

Ana | 131 comments Aren't we going to finish percy jackson and the olympians?

message 39: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Ana, there hasn't seemed to be a lot of interest in finishing (I think I will, but it seems pretty quiet in the threads). If you're interested, maybe we can rally a group together. :)

message 40: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments Rachel wrote: "i was also planning on reading Gone Girl
between july 15-august 15. i don't buy a lot of hardcover books but this one looks great and i've heard good things about it- would anyone else like to rea..."

I've read reviews on this book and sounds good. I'll be happy to read it!

Ashley, would you be able to make a thread for this?

message 41: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments Sadly, it looks like Rachel left the group.

message 42: by Nathaly (new)

Nathaly | 356 comments :( I'll put it on my TBR shelf. no big, thanks

message 43: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I'd be willing to read Gone Girl with you, Nathaly. But not until September! I'm 231 on the hold list at my library. If that's too far away for you, it's no problem at all. :)

message 44: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3965 comments If you guys are going to read it in September, I can join you. :) I just definitely can't read it in July.

message 45: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I would love to read The Tea Rose I've had it on my bookshelf for ages and need to get to reading it! What about July15-July 31 for anyone interested?

message 46: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Kelsi wrote: "I would love to read The Tea Rose I've had it on my bookshelf for ages and need to get to reading it! What about July15-July 31 for anyone interested?"
I want to read The Roses too! I'm not sure I can swing The Tea Rose the end of July, but I can at least try to get a start.

message 47: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments That's fine! how about July 15-August 15? A month?

message 48: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Kelsi wrote: "That's fine! how about July 15-August 15? A month?"
Could we open the thread for July and August? You may get some others interested that way too! I just have some committments in July and then during the Olympics.

message 49: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Sure! Im kind of new to goodreads, so i dont know how to do that, but that works because classes start mid august and i am sure i will commit to a bunch of other books!

message 50: by Connieb (new)

Connieb (otherwordly) | 82 comments Hey mods, help!! I'm losing track of things ;) Wasn't The Tea Rose (or all of the Roses) put up for a BR a while back?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7