Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Monthly Group Reads > Monthly Group Reads Polls and Voting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,367 (1367 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:41PM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments HI everyone,
I have sent out invites for our first group read polls.

If you didn't get your invite for the 2012 JULY group read it is because I stuffed some of the invites up. whoops. Sorry about that. Some will get them and some will not.

If you didn't get your invites, you can go to 'polls' in the group menu, or go here;
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/54...

Dawn and I have spent a week going back and forth trying to choose two books to represent the Ancient eras of the group and two books to represent the Medieval and later eras of the group.
The poll is for you to vote a winner in for each one, Ancient and Medieval.

Each month we will try picking two selections to go up against each other that will appeal to broad tastes and that are different from the previous months group reads. eg..In this case of July, we tried to make the July suggestions different to the June group read books.
We are also trying to pick at least one book in each poll that can be found in multiple languages.
In JULY 2012, those books are Martyr and Killer of Men. I am not sure how many languages they can be found in, but I know they are available in a few. Martyr more so.

Polls will run for a week and winners will be announced in the middle of the month so this leaves you two weeks to source your book or books for a 1st of the month start. Of course, you can actually start whenever in the month that you like.

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Gee, looking at the early votes on our two Group Read polls and they are going to be close I think. especially the Medieval 'or later' poll between Martyr by Rory Clements A Congregation of Jackals by S. Craig Zahler

I don't ever read westerns and I put up Congregation of Jackals when Dawn and I were discussing the selections, thinking it will push me out of comfort zone and others may enjoy that too. It also sounds interesting and rates well.
I would still love to read Martyr too.

I don't think it matters which books win, I will happily read whatever two books are nominated by the group out of those four. :)

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Both of these selections are pushing me out of my comfort zone but I'm excited to try either one. My library has Martyr and I can get The Congregation of Jackals on kindle so I'm good either way.

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments The only one I can't get from the library is Taming Poison Dragons Taming Poison Dragons by Tim Murgatroyd .
If that one wins I shall have to buy it. Any of the other three win and I am set and so is Dawn. Her library had all but Taming Poison Dragons also.
We felt that was a good sign that people in the US might have better luck finding the July group reads than they did finding the June ones. :-)

message 5: by Simona (new)

Simona | 1447 comments Rory Clement is the only one available from my library, but I have already read it (it was good). So this time I'll take care of my TBR list and I'll follow your comments. If something will emerge as "very good", I'll buy it.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Oh, that's a shame. Dawn and I went with Martyr because it was available in Italian, so you could read it if it won.
At least now we are on each others friends lists so I can see what you've read when we research the books.
Even though your library only has Martyr, is their an Italian edition of Killer of Men?
There were other translations I saw such as Spanish and I thought maybe it was available in Italian too.

Would your library do inter library loan or buy it in for you? Or does it not interest you much? (I won't be offended if it doesn't interest you...:-) ..)

message 7: by Simona (last edited Jun 10, 2012 06:34AM) (new)

Simona | 1447 comments We actually have a sort of inter library, but quite limited. The books in their original version are really few. Our Lady of the Library NEVER buys a books that readers suggest (Itold you, she's grumpy). I didn't find the translation of Killer of Men available, but I plan to buy something on Kindle - Taming Poison Dragons expecially sounds good.

Or maybe I should give a try to this Uthred, to see what this guy has got to make you sound all girly about him!

message 8: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Hehe. He's got bad boy attitude. :-) Which is a weakness of mine.

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments YOnly a few more days to vote. I'd say we have our winners though.
Unless there is a sudden rush on the polls, these will be our winners for July.
Killer of Men by Christian Cameron Martyr by Rory Clements

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I think it is safe to call it as the polls are not long off finishing.
Those two mentioned in my last post are our winners for July.

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments The AUGUST polls are open everyone.

Here are the books this time around.

Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood, #1) by James McGee The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

The Virtues of War A Novel of Alexander the Great by Steven Pressfield Roman Blood (Roma Sub Rosa, #1) by Steven Saylor

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I knew that the Ancient poll was going to be close, but I never realised it was going to be THIS close. Last I looked it was 12 votes to 13. In fact, they have been neck and neck since I opened the poll.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I will say now that if the one I voted for doesn't win I'll read it anyhow.

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments You voted for Pressfield's Alexander didn't you? So did I.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

My lips are sealed. (But it sounds like a really fine book! Even if it does have a silly cover...)

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments I wasn't expecting it to be so close either. I voted for Roman Blood but I'd be happy to read either.
I'm actually finding it tempting to read all four books, no matter what wins. :)

message 17: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Dawn wrote: "I wasn't expecting it to be so close either. I voted for Roman Blood but I'd be happy to read either.
I'm actually finding it tempting to read all four books, no matter what wins. :)"

Lol. If only I didn't have some books on flying to read in August then I may have tried to fit in more than 1 too.

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Diana wrote: "My lips are sealed. (But it sounds like a really fine book! Even if it does have a silly cover...)"

Diana wrote: "My lips are sealed. (But it sounds like a really fine book! Even if it does have a silly cover...)"

Your lips maybe sealed, but you vote wasn't. :D
One only needs click on each poll to see the members and their votes in the right hand column.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? I didn't see that. Must go back...

And the cover IS silly.

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I checked the Ancient poll. 21 votes for each book! This is going to be fun to watch.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments It was at 18 each about 5 hours ago so it's staying really close.

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments It's like watching a race! :D

message 23: by Tasha (last edited Jul 08, 2012 04:30PM) (new)

Tasha I think it may have been my vote that broke the tie...at least for now...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Terri wrote: "Your lips maybe sealed, but you vote wasn't. :D
One only needs click on each poll to see the members and their votes in the right hand column..."

That only works for mods...

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Works for everyone, you have to click on either the votes beside the book or total votes under the list of books and it will tell you who voted and for what. :)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

(Quivering voice)

Is nothing sacred?!

message 27: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Tasha wrote: "I think it may have been my vote that broke the tie...at least for now..."

I saw that. Lol. :-)

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments Diana wrote: "(Quivering voice)

Is nothing sacred?!"

No secrets here.... :)

message 29: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Yep, so you can drop the towel. :-)

message 30: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Still so close, but I think two winners are starting to squeek away into the lead.

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jul 12, 2012 01:54AM) (new)

Terri | 19503 comments It could still change with a few days left to vote, but I think these will be our two August group Reads.

The Virtues of War A Novel of Alexander the Great by Steven Pressfield The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

message 32: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm just excited that my library has all the book choices so I'm in with any winners.

message 33: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Although I prefer the two in the lead....

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I prefer one of the two in the lead. :-) I voted for Ratcatcher.

If those two stick then I'll be on Virtues of War and Dawn will be on Sleepwalkers. Although, Dawn did say she may fit in both.

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 5208 comments The library had three of the books and I've got Roman Blood on order from ILL.
I'm pretty excited about Sleepwalkers, I think it's gonna be a good one. If anyone wants to do a buddy read of Ratcatcher I'd be up for that later in August.....or vice versa if the polls go the other way. :)

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I'd be up to reading Ratcatcher at some stage. Probably after august though. :-) August was extremely booked for me and it is probably for the best that it didn't win in the poll.

message 37: by Chris F (new)

Chris F | 419 comments Dawn wrote: "The library had three of the books and I've got Roman Blood on order from ILL.
I'm pretty excited about Sleepwalkers, I think it's gonna be a good one. If anyone wants to do a buddy read of Ratcatc..."

I enjoyed Ratcatcher when I read it and went on to read the second and third in the series as well. I'm looking forward to reading the forth,which is sitting in one of my bookcases, but I keep getting distracted by other good books. So far I think the third has been the best in a good series.

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Unfortunately Ratcatcher lost in the group read poll. :( It'll be a while before I get to it now.
Group Reads are sometimes the push in the back that I need to read books that aren't on my immediate hitlist.

message 39: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments These are our winners for August!

The Virtues of War A Novel of Alexander the Great by Steven Pressfield The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

message 40: by Chris F (new)

Chris F | 419 comments I've just finished Captain of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #2) by John Stack and found it better overall than the first in the series Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1) by John Stack . Have requested Killer of Men by Christian Cameron from the library, but should really do some work reading till it arrives.

message 41: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I'll be starting Killer of Men tomorrow morning (Australian time). :-)

message 42: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 797 comments The Virtues of War A Novel of Alexander the Great by Steven Pressfield will be my read as I read and really liked The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman .
My library has it and I just put it on hold.

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Glad to have you along with me on Virtues, Anne.

message 44: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I don't know why I never thought of this before, but I have finally added an Ancient & Medieval shelf (named it A&M Group Read) to my profile to put the group reads in.
Been doing one or two of our group reads every month since earlier this year, and I have only NOW added a bookshelf to my profile??

No-one can call me slow. :)

message 45: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Funny. :)

message 46: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments Got 4 good and diverse books lined up for the September Group Read Poll. Dawn and I have spent much time agonising, researching, suggesting, eliminating.
The final four are looking reallllly good. :) they may not all be something you would read, but they still look interesting and should be fun to vote on.

Of course, you have to wait until approx the 7th of August before we put the two polls up to vote on for September.

Just thought I'd drop in and mention that the 4 books have been decided on. And soon it will be up to all of you to give us our winners for September.

message 47: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us!!

message 48: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19503 comments I am busting at the seams to tell. But I shall hold my tongue! :D

message 49: by Tasha (new)

Tasha :P

message 50: by Bobby (new)

Bobby (bobbej) | 1366 comments Standing by!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28