Start by marking “Killer of Men (Long War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Killer of Men (Long War, #1)

Killer of Men

(Long War #1)

Arimnestos is a farm boy when war breaks out between the citizens of his native Plataea and and their overbearing neighbours, Thebes. Standing in the battle line - the wall of bronze - for the first time, alongside his father and brother, he shares in a famous and unlikely victory. But after being knocked unconscious in the melee, he awakes not a hero, but a slave. Betraye ...more
Published January 8th 2010 by Orion (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Killer of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer of Men

Ivan
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Since I'm starting second book I decided to polish a bit review for the first book.

I was planing on writing about this book for long time but I simply can't way to properly share fascination with this book so this review might be edited when I find a way do this book justice.

After finishing Red knight I wanted to see authors other work and this book caught my eye right away.

Killer of men is historical fiction but I can't help being reminded of fantasy book, most of all grimdark and military fant
Kyle
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

From the way it started, I didn't think I'd enjoy it but it ended up being a really good story.

So the whole book is this father telling his daughter about his life as she writes it down. At first, I thought, "No way is this going to be interesting," but very quickly it drew me in and had me hooked. Even though there are a couple of places where the story loses a bit of momentum they didn't last long. The main character, Arimnestos, is tremendously interesting. Growing from a small boy to a you

S.J.A. Turney
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
To begin at the beginning… How many series have you read where you pick up the first book to find an iron-hard, three-dimensional, experienced and world-weary hero awaiting you? They are, barring the anti-hero, the best characters to both read and write. But how often do you get to see that hero created?

That is what Killer of Men is. In terms of superhero movies, this is a great hero’s ‘origin story’. It is the very creation of a hero. Or possibly not quite a hero. After all, an instinctive kill
Freakout
One of the best books I've read lately, highly recommended!!!
Liviu
Another excellent novel from the author after the 3 Tyrant books which i enjoyed all; a first person narration from Arimnestos of Plataea as told to his young daughter and companions, in the hero's old age when he seems to be a noble of some sort in Thrace

It covers his young years, training under an old soldier and killer of men himself and later his begging soldiering in the week of 3 battles when the Athenians and the Plateans face 3 enemy armies and defeat all

However young Arimnestos is wound
Bell
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have heard a ton of praise for Christian Cameron and had high hopes when I started to read "Killer of Men", my first novel by this ex-military aviator and intelligence officer.

Too bad it pretty much sucks. And it sucks in very particular way, it could have been kick-ass awesome "Men in Miniskirts" -novel with a lot bloody action and both land and sea battles. But the author does his damnest to irritate the hell out of you while reading this otherwise pretty cool story about a young farmer who
Andy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Style is that of an old storyteller - in this case the hero, who interjects every so oft into the story.

His story starts as a boy in Plataea, his father being a renowned Bronze Smith where after a period of scene setting of a peaceable life as a farmboy they encounter Miltiados & war soon looms as they ally with the Athenians.

There is plenty more to tell but wont spoil for you & will leave it to say that Spartans, phalanx warfare, slavery & servitude, Persians (Medes empire), Pho
John Gwynne
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great read. Loved the balance between character, pace and plot, with a complete sense of place. It read somewhere in between Bernard Cornwell and David Gemmell.
Loved it.
Tudor Ciocarlie
Probably the best historical-fiction novel I have ever read. I've loved how Cameron managed to create interesting female characters, with powerful agendas, even in that male dominated era. This should be a lesson for an important part of the epic-fantasy writers that uses the realism of the past as a stupid excuse to write atrocious acts and poor developed female characters.
Amanda
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: noery, up-next
I really like his other series better which prevented me from enjoying this book for the first 85%. The last 15% (after a long pause) was really good. Hoping to continue the series sometime soonish!
David Graham
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’d had ‘Killer of Men’ on my ‘to read’ shelf for quite some time. I like historical fiction, I’d say at a rough guess it constitutes between 10% and 20% of my total reading. When the genre is at its best in such books as Falls the Shadow, Shakespeare's Rebel (see my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) or Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae to name a few, it transports the reader to a different time and a totally different existence than modern day. ‘Killer of ...more
Patremagne
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Killer of Men is the first in Christian Cameron's The Long War series, which outlines the conflict between the Greeks and the Persians around the 5th century BC. Killer of Men is centered primarily around the Ionian Revolt, and it makes for a great story.

The story is told in the first person, though it's one where the protagonist narrates from old age. There seems to be an influx of novels that do this and it can be very hit or miss as to whether they turn
Paul Bennett
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I put off too long starting The Long War series by Christian Cameron. Killer of Men is the first installment of the epic story of East vs West, pitting the Greek city-states against the might of the Persian King of Kings. That is the backdrop to this thoroughly entertaining tale of one man's journey from his home in Plataea becoming a feared warrior, a killer of men. The author deftly constructs the world of Miltiades of Athens and Darius the Persian; the descriptions of everyday life, the detai ...more
Terri
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On paper this looked like the kind of book I would eat up. Ancient setting, battles, swords and sandals type historical fiction. Yet, I couldn't finish it. In truth I barely started it having only reached page 120 (plus a flick through the next 100 pages to see if it improved).
I'm not going to hold anything against this book. It is written okay, but the author's 'storyteller' style was not compatible with me. I simply couldn't connect and it was disorienting.
Vaelin
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Christian Cameron book, will definitely read the next in the series as well as his other HF series!
Kimberly
Last month I had myself a real hankering for some historical fiction so after looking at the Toronto Public Library's website and I came across Killer of Men by Christian Cameron and thought why not? I love books written during this time period and it wasn't too long of a novel either.

So, despite having a multitude of other novels that had to be read first I couldn't resist the appeal of this book for long and I ended up starting it the same day I brought it home. Right away I was drawn into Ar
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review is from: Killer of Men (Hardcover)
When i started this book i was a little taken aback with the style, it was not what i had come to expect from Chris, that's not to say it was bad, it was just different, it was enough of a change to give me slight pause to think has the man lost it? should he have stuck with a winning formula like the tyrant series?
None of this should make you stop reading, because as you carry on reading you suddenly find your self being pulled into the world or Ari
Kareem
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the sixth book I have read by Christian and I am happy to report it didn't disappoint.

As with God of War and The Traitor Son Cycle I was impressed with how vividly his worlds come off the page. For me, there is no one who writes a battle quite like this man, but I am equally impressed with how committed I am to his main characters through their early development.

Arimnestos has many qualities ordinary people would not consider good, or even likable, but through Cameron's engaging story
Logan
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Exactly the kind of Historical Fiction I love to read. Awesome single POV character who is morally ambiguous- he is good but often does questionable things. I loved how the main character learns and grows throughout this book. I loved the time period and the supporting characters. Fantastic book, probably my favorite book so far this year.
Margareth8537
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story is told by an old warrior to his grandchild-so we know he makes it. Real old soldier's story. Battles, defeat, slavery and hopefully he gets his own back.
Very well written and nice to know there is another one available so you can move on.
James Cox
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic. It reminded me of Spartacus, similar concept in terms of hero being turned into a slave. I can't wait for the next book.
Anton
I was a big fan of Cameron's before I started this so I already knew I would like it, it's nice that he didn't disappoint me. The classical Greek world is not a period I know much about but this novel sure felt authentic and brought it to life in a very Sharpe-meets-the-Illiad type of way.
In spite of the immersive atmosphere and the vivid battle scenes I soured on it about halfway through, however. Arimnestos became such a cunt after a while that I almost lost interest in going on, I felt as if
Matt Heppe
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Killer of Men and Marathon Review

Characters: Killer of Men and Marathon are both first person accounts of the life of Arimnestos, the son of a Greek blacksmith who grows up to be a fearsome warrior-- a killer of men. The book takes the form of a story being recited to Arimnestos’ daughter by him. As such, we know that 1) he survives and 2) he becomes a great man. What we are left to discover are the trials and tribulations of his strife-torn life. I’ll leave it to say Arimnestos does not have an
Michael Da Silva
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Killer of Men was a book that caught me by surprise. I did not expect to enjoy this novel as much as I did, so I was pleasantly taken aback when I reached the end.

The story is a pretty typical hero's journey, with young Arimnestos, a farmer turned warrior-god, fighting, sexing and generally fluking his way through the beginnings of the Greco-Persian war.

I would liken this book to the Kingkiller Chronicles or the Gentlemen Bastards series in that it follows a very capable, but utterly flawed pro
Mike
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was quite good. I expect good things from Christian Cameron (whom I know better as Miles Cameron), and this delivered.

Cameron does medieval combat reenactments professionally, and his hallmark has always been a real knowledge of what medieval combat and tactics were actually like. Dude knows what it's like to fight in armor because it's literally his day job. Killer of Men brings the same authenticity, but this time to the Bronze Age Greco-Persian Wars.

So the battles and all were really qui
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic book by Christian Cameron is the 1st volume of the "Killer of Men" series.
As this has been my very first encounter with this author I have to admit that I'm truly fascinated now, simply because his way of writing is absolutely tremendous about the ancient history of the Greeks, the wars between the Greek states themselves as well as their struggles and brutal battles against their ferocious enemy, the Persians.
The book has a lot of historical details, an expansive glossary, an inf
Ron
Killer of Men is the first installment of Long War series by a military historian Christian Cameron, some of you may know him as Miles Cameron.

Narrated from old age by the protagonist Arimnestos of Plataea to his daughter and her friends. The story started at Boeotia when he was still a boy, dreaming of becoming a bronzesmith like his father but was instead educated with swords and spears and letters. He was betrayed and sold into slavery, but his masters were rich and treated him well, he got t
Albert Llop
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I picked these up because I'm a huge fan of Cameron's The Traitor Son Cycle, and it's been my first adventure into the lands of Historical Fiction. I've read all 6 books in the series, but wanted to leave a special review in the first book for those of you deciding wether to pick this up or not.

I've read mostly Fantasy and Science Fiction in my life, but the Long War saga has shown me something I didn't even know existed. I liked those genres because I thought the real world wasn't enough, but i
Hazel
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I don't know why I chose this from an e-book collection. I'd never heard of it or its author and was clueless as to content. Didn't see the cover either. Perhaps it was the title's contrast with 'fisher of men'? But I'm loving it so far. I read the first 23% steadily last night, before deciding I should come up for air.

I am far from blood-thirsty and war stories are not my thing. But I am interested in human behaviour, and the reasons that we do what we do. So I am interested in war (human beha
Carlos
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was not OK in the first pages but It got better the more I read. So my advice to You is just this: Keep on reading!
What I have in favor of this book: I love Herodotus, The best book I have ever read (and I have read hundreds of 'em) It's The Illiad of Homer and this guy knows his stuff.
Against: It could have been better written (It is confusing at times), There's to much resemblance of this hero to Uhtred of The Last Kingdom.
I will keep reading the saga. I love ancient Greece as much as
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Memnon
  • Hannibal: Enemy of Rome
  • The Bleeding Land (Bleeding Land Trilogy #1)
  • The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Fire in the East (Warrior of Rome, #1)
  • Eagle in the Snow: A Novel of General Maximus and Rome's Last Stand
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • The Assyrian
  • Pride of Carthage
  • King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus, #1)
  • Strategos: Born in the Borderlands (Strategos, #1)
  • Dawn Of Empire (Eskkar Saga, #1)
  • Traitor's Blood (Civil War Chronicles, #1)
  • Warlord  (The Outlaw Chronicles, #4)
Aka Miles Cameron. Also publishes as Gordon Kent with his father Kenneth M. Cameron.

Christian Cameron was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1962. He grew up in Rockport, Massachusetts, Iowa City, Iowa,Christian Cameron and Rochester, New York, where he attended McQuaid Jesuit High School and later graduated from the University of Rochester with a degree in history.

After the longest undergraduate

Long War (6 books)
  • Marathon: Freedom or Death (Long War, #2)
  • Poseidon's Spear (Long War, #3)
  • The Great King (Long War, #4)
  • Salamis (Long War, #5)
  • Rage of Ares (Long War, #6)
“...there is no such thing as a ferocious charge uphill.” 4 likes