2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Yearly Challenges > The Listopia Challenge January-December

Comments Showing 1-50 of 255 (255 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments The Listopia Challenge:

Goodreads features a number of user created lists which can be found here:

http://www.goodreads.com/list

Besides the featured and popular lists on the main page you can see lists your friends have voted on as well as search for lists with topics that interest you. I've been experimenting a bit with it in the past few days and let me tell you, there's a list for nearly everything!

This challenge is all about reading through those lists.

The number of lists you choose and the number of books you read from each is entirely up to you. One person might choose to read the Top 100 books from one list, another person may choose to read the Top 5 books from 10 lists. You decide and mix it up any way you like.

Rules:
1. Choose your list(s) and the amount of books you plan to read from each. Post the list name(s), a link to the list(s) and the number of books you plan to read.
2. For any books on the list read prior to 2012: You do not need to reread these! Optionally you can list them with your rating or mention any that you particularly enjoyed.
3. For books read in 2012: Go ahead and list these as part of the challenge and count them in your total.
4. Any format of book, cross challenging etc. are all fine.
5. Please update your list with the date read and a rating (review optional).
6. You can keep track in your Member's Corner but are encouraged to check into the thread on occasion to let us know your progress.
7. Optional: Once you've finished off a list, vote on your favourites.

Duration: Backdated to Jan. 1st, 2012-Dec. 31st, 2012

Challenge Leader: Ashley (Thanks so much for both the idea and agreeing to lead this challenge!)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, Happy Reading :)

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Me too! I'll have to find a list soon.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Woo hoo! So excited. There are so many lists, haha.

message 4: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited May 10, 2012 09:53AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I love this challenge! I just discovered listopia, and I'm super jazzed to dive in.

For each, I plan to read the first five books that I haven't yet (or that I read so long ago that I can't remember them anymore).

LIST ONE
Favorite Magical Realism Novels
My five are: Like Water for Chocolate , The House of the Spirits, Garden Spells, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, and Practical Magic
(Which would take me to reading the top 11 and 30 of the top 100.)

LIST TWO
Best Science Fiction Books
My five are: Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse Five, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? , I, Robot, and The Stand (Which would take me to reading the top 22 and 34 of the top 100.)

LIST THREE
Best Books of the 20th Century
My five are: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Hobbit, Gone With the Wind, Catch-22 , and Lolita (Which would take me to reading the top 28 and 60 of the top 100.)

COMPLETED: 5/15

message 5: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I started a list of my own but didn´t get enough voters so I chose another: Best Series.

My goal will be 33 books read from this list (and I will continue more next year). I will track my progress in my member´s corner. I have not chosen the series to start with yet..

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kara wrote: "I love this challenge! I just discovered listopia, and I'm super jazzed to dive in.

For each, I plan to read the first five books that I haven't yet (or that I read so long ago that I can't rememb..."

I love the idea of breaking it down into several lists! Good job!

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Mar 04, 2012 07:37PM) (new)

Ashley Participants So Far!

Kara - 2/15
Sara - 0/20
Johanna - 0/33
Ashley - 1/17
Adriana - 0/10
Alicia - 0/20
Nikki - ?/? (Searching)
Tatum - 2/32
Anna - ?/? (Searching)
Trevor - 0/20
Ronda - 4/15

Total Completed Books: 9/182

message 8: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments I am in on this one, but I may have gotten a little "list fever" while checking out Listopia in preparation for putting this up and I possibly now have a folder of bookmarked pages to go through and cull down to a get to a realistic list number. I am thinking I am going to use smaller numbers from several though.

message 9: by Nikki (new)

Nikki I am in too. I will have to still decide what one I want too.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Welcome everyone! I'm so glad there are so many who are interested in this challenge!

Happy Reading!!

message 11: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Ooh, that reminded me to check out the cyberpunk list. Hmmm...maybe 20 books would be overstretching myself for this first challenge. I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew, so I'm going to stick to my 15 for now.

Can I edit and add another list later?

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kara wrote: "Ooh, that reminded me to check out the cyberpunk list. Hmmm...maybe 20 books would be overstretching myself for this first challenge. I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew, so I'm g..."

Sure! I'm sure quite a few of us will change our lists throughout the challenge :)

message 13: by Ashley (last edited Nov 22, 2012 07:42AM) (new)

Ashley Alright. I chose two lists. One looked fun and the other is an author I have heard is good but never read their books to find out!

Listopia Challenge

1. 100 YA BOOKS YOU MUST READ BEFORE YOU DIE
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12940.100_YA_Books_You_Must_Read_Before_You_Die#8306857
~City of Bones
~Unearthly
~Divergent
~Delirium
~City of Glass
~The Lightning Thief
~City of Ashes
~The Host
~The Iron King
~Hurricane
~City of Fallen Angels
**Completing Top 20 of this list..I have read 9 previously**
4/11 Completed

Total Challenge: 4/11 Completed

message 14: by Tatum (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:45PM) (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Listopia Challenge:

1. The Best Book Series: (Book 1 of Top 20 or next book in incomplete series)
Link: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/28...

1. Harry Potter (READ, Complete)
2. Lord of the Rings (READ, Complete)
3. Twilight
4. Chronicles of Narnia (READ, Complete)
5. The Hunger Games READ Book 1, Continuing Series. 03/03/12 *****
6. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (TBR Book 3)
7. The Mortal Instruments
8. Vampire Academy
9. Sookie Stackhouse (Read some, to re-read)
10. Eragon
11. His Dark Materials READ Book 1, Continuing Series, 03/05/12 ****
12. A Series of Unfortunate Events (READ Book 1, Not Continuing)
13. House of Night
14. The Uglies
15. Anne of Green Gables (READ, Complete, May re-read)
16. Black Dagger Brotherhood
17. Sherlock Holmes (READ, Complete, May re-read)
18. Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (READ, Complete)
19. Little House on the Prairie (READ, Complete)
20. Artemis Fowl
Progress: 0/12

2. Best Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Authors: (Top 10)
Link: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/40...

1. Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
2. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
3. Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
4. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
5. Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
6. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
7. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
8. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
9. Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton
10. Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Progress: 0/10

3. Best Cozy Mystery Series: (Top 10)
Link: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/38...

1. One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
2. Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke 02/10/12 **
3. Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett
4. Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie
5. Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson
6. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
7. What's a Ghoul to Do? by Victoria Laurie
8. The Trouble With Magic by Madelyn Alt
9. I Scream, You Scream by Wendy Lyn Watson
10. The Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton
Progress: 1/10

Total: 1/32

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 87 comments I'm in...just haven't decided on the list yet.

message 16: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Oh Anna, it's so hard once you start looking! Too many good lists lol.

message 17: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Diversity in Young Adult and Middle Grade

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/16...

10 books

American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes A Step from Heaven by An Na The Misfits by James Howe Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Lola by J. Torres Tall Story by Candy Gourlay The Great Wall Of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang Bitter Melon by Cara Chow Tantalize (Tantalize, #1) by Cynthia Leitich Smith

message 18: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Wait wait wait! I can count books I've already read towards the list? I guess not if it wasn't during this year though, right?

message 19: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments One down! Started and finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? from my science fiction list when I was home sick yesterday afternoon. It was a quick one. Four stars.

message 20: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments @Trevor: You don't have to re-read them if that's what you mean but the challenge isn't about completing a certain minimum total anyways.

Example:
I want to read the Top 20 of list A. I've already read 5 of those prior to 2012. So I would have 15 to read for my challenge. I read 3 in 2012 so my challenge would read Progress: 3/15 and I would list those 3 with date, rating etc.

message 21: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Tatum wrote: "@Trevor: You don't have to re-read them if that's what you mean but the challenge isn't about completing a certain minimum total anyways.

Example:
I want to read the Top 20 of list A. I've already..."

AH I see. Alright, thanks! :)

message 22: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Listopia Challenge - List: Best Science Fiction Books
Goal: 20 (more) of the first 100 (I've read 9 already)
Completed: 0

message 23: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Sounds like we'll probably be reading some of the same books, Trevor! Let me know if you'd like to chat about them.

message 24: by Nathan (last edited Mar 02, 2012 11:27AM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Kara wrote: "Sounds like we'll probably be reading some of the same books, Trevor! Let me know if you'd like to chat about them."

Oh, ha, I didn't even realize we had the same list! Sure, I'm definitely up for discussing. I won't be starting to work on this challenge until April because March Madness has me pretty busy. I've already read Fahrenheit 451 before. You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you're done!

message 25: by Ronda (last edited Jul 01, 2012 06:15AM) (new)

Ronda (aunt_nonna) | 107 comments I am in!!!
1. Chick Lit for the beach (LOVE Chick Lit and the Beach so I had to!

*1. Something Borrowed read pre2012 5/5
*2. Twilight read pre2012 5/5
3. Can You Keep a Secret? 3/5 (6/05/2012)
4. Confessions of a Shopaholic
*5. Summer Sisters 4/5 (6/14/2012)
6. Bridget Jones's Diary 3/5 (4/10/2012)
7. Good in Bed
8. Pride and Prejudice (Yes, I know, shocking that I haven't read this already)
*9. Remember Me? 4/5 read April 2012
10. One for the Money
6/10

2. Best for Book Clubs

Top 5
*1. The Help Read 5/5 2011
*2. Water for Elephants Jan 2012
*3. The Kite Runner 6/8/2012
*4. The Time Traveler's Wife 6/30/2012
*5. The Book Thief 5/24/2012
5/5

3. Best Adult Female Friendship Books

Top 5
1. Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
*2. The Help 5/5 2011
3. The Secret Life of Bees
*4. Divine Secrets of the YA-YA Sisterhood 5/5 Read April 2012
5. Where the Heart Is
2/5

total of 20 books to read 13/20

message 26: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments That reminds me--I've always wanted to read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. I'll add that to my to-read list. Thank you!

message 27: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments The Secret Life of Bees is Amazing! Have fun (:

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I agree Adriana. I read the Secret Life of Bees in one sitting. It was very good!

Welcome new-comers to the challenge!

**PS: I've already changed one of my lists. There were just too many on the other list I would end up having to buy and that is just impossible at the moment. So, I went and chose another list I was looking at where I have all of the books**

Hope everyone is having fun with the challenge so far! :)

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ronda wrote: "I am in!!!
1. Chick Lit for the beach (LOVE Chick Lit and the Beach so I had to!

I am going to read top 10.
*1. Something Borrowed read pre2012 5/5
*2. Twilight read pre..."

I'm reading The Book Thief right now! It is a quite interesting concept! I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think of it whenever you read it. :)

message 30: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments From the "Best Book Series" list I read #5, Book 1 of The Hunger Games Trilogy.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 03/03/12 5 stars.

Total: 2/32 (What have I gotten myself into, lol?)

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Tatum wrote: "From the "Best Book Series" list I read #5, Book 1 of The Hunger Games Trilogy.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 03/03/12 5 stars.

Total: 2/32 (What have I gotte..."

You are doing good!! At least the challenge goes through the end of the year. You can do it! :)

message 32: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Yeah, but with that Best Series list... I already know I wanted to finish off Percy Jackson, now I want to read the other 2 Hunger Games... if all the series are good on it I will have added more like 70-80 books!

message 33: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I love that Like Water for Chocolate counts for both yearly challenges that I joined. Two of 15!

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Congratulations, Kara! You're doing great!

@ Tatum: I'm reading the first book of the Percy Jackson series right now. I'm loving it!

message 35: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I so wanna read Percy Jackson again, I just read The Demigod Files and remembered how good they are!

message 36: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I will most likely re read the whole series this year, just don´t know exactly when yet :)

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I completed The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. I absolutely loved this book and can't wait to read the rest of the series!! (5 stars)

I have completed 1 of 17.

message 38: by Ashley (last edited Mar 08, 2012 08:50PM) (new)

Ashley Participants So Far!

Kara - 2/15
Sara - 0/20
Johanna - 0/33
Ashley - 2/17
Adriana - 0/10
Alicia - 0/20
Nikki - ?/? (Searching)
Tatum - 3/32
Anna - ?/? (Searching)
Trevor - 4/30
Ronda - 4/15
Brianna - 3/35

Total Completed Books: 18/227 as of 3/5/12

message 39: by Nathan (last edited Mar 13, 2012 05:47AM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) I changed my goals to include an additional list, so here it is:

Listopia Challenge
List 1: Best Science Fiction Books
Goal: 6 more (I read 9 previous to 2012)

List 2: Booklist for Trans Youth
Goal: 24 more (I read 1 previous to 2012)
Completed: 4

1. Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher | Rating: 4 stars
2. Luna by Julie Anne Peters | Rating: 3 stars
5. I Am J by Cris Beam | Rating: 5 stars
10. Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde | Rating: 3 stars

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Trevor wrote: "I changed my goals to include an additional list, so here it is:

Listopia Challenge
Goal: 20 (more) of the top 100 (I've read 9 already)

List 2: Bo..."

So, Trevor, I just want to get this right. You are reading 20 books from one list and 32 from the other to make a total of 52 books?

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess B | 11 comments I plan to take part in this too (and am quite excited about it)! Now I just have to narrow down the lists I'd like to choose reading from. :)

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Yay! The more the merrier! Welcome to the Listopia challenge. I will add everything up as soon as I get everyone's goals. :)

message 43: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments From Best Book Series List:

I read #12 His Dark Materials Book 1: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, rated 4 stars, review in personal thread. I will be continuing with the series.

Progress: 3/32

message 44: by Nathan (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Ashley wrote: "Trevor wrote: "I changed my goals to include an additional list, so here it is:

Listopia Challenge
Goal: 20 (more) of the top 100 (I've read 9 already)
Completed..."

yknow what, let's go with 6 of the first list, 24 of the other. that's 30 total, seems more plausible; I've edited my post above to reflect the change. And it's on my member's corner as well.

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Tatum wrote: "From Best Book Series List:

I read #12 His Dark Materials Book 1: The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, rated 4 stars, review in personal thread. I will be continuing w..."

I have two more books to finish before I can start The Golden Compass. I'm glad you liked it. I'm still excited to read it! :)

I'll get you updated!

message 46: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Trevor wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Trevor wrote: "I changed my goals to include an additional list, so here it is:

Listopia Challenge
Goal: 20 (more) of the top 100 (I've read 9 alr..."

Gotcha! :)

message 47: by Tatum (new)

Tatum | 459 comments I am actually (I think) going to take a little break from reading new things off that Best Series list because so far both ones I have read I want to continue the series, plus I already wanted to continue the one I'd read previously.

So instead I think I will concentrate on reading the other 2 from Hunger Games, the 2 from Dark Materials and the 3 remaining of Percy Jackson... great books all of them, but man that list is proving to be trouble lol.

message 48: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Tatum wrote: "I am actually (I think) going to take a little break from reading new things off that Best Series list because so far both ones I have read I want to continue the series, plus I already wanted to c..."

I understand. You get soooo interested in the series! So, how would you like me to adjust your goal?

message 49: by Tatum (last edited Mar 05, 2012 11:18PM) (new)

Tatum | 459 comments Oh I don't need it adjusted, I am just going to avoid the new ones for a bit. I have till the end of the year. You'll know I've over-extended myself if you get panicked private messages from me in late November lol.

ETA: I realize now that I may have mistook your meaning and you think I want to adjust the challenge number up... I am not willing to do that at the moment either, because I don't think I could get all those series done. If I read more than I think I will, I'll let you know though :)

message 50: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Tatum wrote: "Oh I don't need it adjusted, I am just going to avoid the new ones for a bit. I have till the end of the year. You'll know I've over-extended myself if you get panicked private messages from me in ..."

Gotcha! :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6