Start by marking “Can You Keep a Secret?” as Want to Read:
Can You Keep a Secret?

Can You Keep a Secret?

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  298,822 Ratings  ·  9,663 Reviews
Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn't share with an ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Can You Keep a Secret?, please sign up.

Kim This book has a ton of swearing in it... mostly the f-word. It is used throughout the book and serves no real purpose. There are some sexual…moreThis book has a ton of swearing in it... mostly the f-word. It is used throughout the book and serves no real purpose. There are some sexual references but I would not classify it as a romance novel.
(less)

maricar
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
don't read this in public..especially if you're by yourself...

this book has been on my wishlist for years (apparently it was earning rave reviews from readers online) and yet everytime i come across this at bookstores i'd tell myself to postpone buying it since it had many copies on shelf. i never even bothered leafing through it. but one day i just decided to actually read its back cover and see what all the hoopla's about.

and then i saw the line, " Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the
Kat O'Keeffe
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so funny and cute! It didn't blow me away, but I was in the mood for a rom-com style read and that's exactly what this was! Definitely looking forward to reading more Sophie Kinsella when I need something lighthearted and fun.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
So...I really wanted to dislike this book. I was determined not to allow myself to be one of "those girls." You know...the ones who plan ladies night out to watch Sex and the City. I've never had a desire to read Bridget Jones' Diary or The Devil Wears Prada (although I do hate to admit that I actually liked Devil as a movie) I mean, it's Chick Lit. Fluff without the smut. What fun is that?

Turns out, it's more fun than I was expecting. The book started out in such a way that I was expecting to g
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Goal: Read a light book and laugh my ass off.

Result: Read a stupid book that made me want to cut it into little pieces.

Overall Goal: Happiness.

Overall Result: A sh*tty headache.

All my friends gave Can You Keep A Secret? a high score, all of them loved it, all of them asked me to read it.

So I did.

Yep. And I ended up having a headache. Literally. Mrs. Kinsella you owe me a pack of meds and a nice foot massage.

So why did all my friends love this book and I didn’t? I have no idea, to tell you the tr
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Alice
Two point five-ish stars ^^

Quirky, hilarious read about a 25 year old clumsy, silly, awkward Emma who is always caught in the most embarrassing situations and thinking she’s probably not yet embarrassed enough, spewed out every single one of her deepest, darkest most embarrassing secrets to a stranger on a plane when she thought they were going to die during a violent turbulence. The horrific result: strange man isn’t a stranger after all. LMAO!

While I wasn’t a fan of Emma (and of any other cha
Zoë
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun and entertaining book! I laughed out loud multiple times and I also cringed several times because of how embarrassed I was for Emma.
My only problem with this book is that I felt like it could have been longer! It felt rushed at times and I wished there was more of an ending. I wanted to know how it all came together and like, for example, how Kerry was doing (terribly, I hope).
Nevertheless, I really enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to read more of her novels in the
Beverly
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this book is laugh out loud funny, like sitting in my cubicle at work just giggling to myself. In the days, I spent reading this one I told numerous people about it because I was just so excited and happy to find a book that made me actual loud out loud. Some of my best friends raved about this book during our girls weekend last year and I was repeatedly told, you have to read this!

Emma Corrigan is a typical girl, just like us or me at least. She is awkward, inappropriate and just trying to
maybelline™
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to maybelline™ by: prag™

Gosh, this books was so much fun!!!

description

Often times when I’m told a book is funny, I usually find that it turns out being more painful to read than anything. But damn, is Sophie Kinsella hilarious!

Can You Keep a Secret follows the charismatic tale of Emma Corrigan. This woman is a hoot, let me tell you. She’s hilariously paranoid and completely outrageous. She is the “ordinary, nothing-special sort of girl” but oh, does she have her secrets.

Secrets that she probably shouldn’t have blurted out
Pang
“Can You Keep A Secret?” Are you serious?!!??!? NO! I’m gonna spill all your secrets to my friends, Emma. You cannot trust me on this! I’m a bitch, I know. hahaha

can2.jpg

1st secret: Guys.. this clumsy lady, Emma Corrigan is so damn lucky! She not that have much money, but she met an sweet-angel air-hostess so this sweetie air-hostess invite Emma to sit on the plane in Business class!!! She cheat!!! Without anyone else know! so she pretends to be businesswoman. See what she did!

BUT HAHAHAHAAAAAAA….

2rd se
Dija
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dija by: Kissa, Jasprit, Jessica, Madu, mrsj, and Aly.
Rating Breakdown:
Enjoyment - 5 stars
Story - 3 stars
Emma - 3.5 stars
Jack - 2 stars
Side characters - 5 stars
Ending - 2.5 stars

The average is 3.5 stars, but since enjoyment is my number one reason for reading in the first place, I'll round it up to 4 stars.

This book is, hands-down, the funniest book I've ever read. I laughed so hard, I had tears in my eyes and cramps in my tummy throughout. This book should come with a warning label, something like, Can You Keep a Secret?... AKA The Sole Cause of
Cait • A Page with a View
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have a stack of Sophie Kinsella books I'm working my way through, which might be the greatest choice I've made so far this year. This read like a rom com screenplay and was HILARIOUS. I skimmed Confessions of a Shopaholic a few years ago before I saw the movie but I'm probably going to go back and read it now because the characters in this book had such real voices. Like I might not have the same personality as Emma, but I could still relate to her just because she was so entertaining and lika ...more
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
I swear the moment I was done with this book...I was just so..soo..

SO DAMN FRUSTRATED

The ending seemed so...lacking? Disappointing? Hell !

Fr the first time,in my history of reading books.I actually ended up hating the hero Jack,(view spoiler) instead of the heroine,along with her cousin Kerry (who basically STOLE THE HEROINE'S ENTIRE CHILDHOOD) and her fashion/mommy obsessed roommate Jemima (who basically spent the whole b
Cecily
Jul 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
My first - and almost certainly last - foray into chick lit. Very shallow, contrived and implausible, albeit in a self-conscious ("ironic"?) way.

Although the "plot" may excuse the improbable co-incidences, there is no justification for the ludicrously artificial dialogue. I find all the "poor fluffy little me struggling to bluff it in the big bad grown up world" nauseating. Not as funny as it thinks because the humour, such as it is, is entirely reliant on very cliched stereotypes.

If it were w
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was really cute and funny! A great lighthearted read. Review to come!
Megs ♥
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Megs ♥ by: Jasprit

First of all thank you, Jasprit, for insisting I read this one. A couple of days ago I was sick and in bed all day. I had just finished another book and was wondering which book to start next. I saw this on my Nook and remembered you said it's her best book. This book really made me feel better when I was under the weather.

Emma is 25 and has been through many jobs. She has had a job in marketing for over a year now, and although she does okay, she's not exactly moving up the corporate ladder. Sh
Sara
This book was hilarious. The basic idea is, imagine what would happen if in a moment of panic you were to spill all your darkest secrets to a perfect stranger and of course that stranger was extremely attractive and turned out to be a new big shot at your company, genius uh?
When Emma spills it all out it makes you want to cover your eyes with your hands and tell her:

The fun, as always with Kinsella standalone novels, is guaranteed and the romance is just witty and cute.
(view spoiler)
Anuradha

Alright, I've been reading romance novels off late. It's one of those phases. And this is one of my favourites. Did Emma get on my nerves by whining too much? Sure. Was Jack way, way out of her league? Sure. But thing is, this woman knows how to pen chick-lit. She gets you right in the feelers and doesn't let go until you're sucked dry.

Emma, who I'm sure suffers from some form of anxiety, spills all her secrets to the gorgeous American sitting next to her. What transpires next is a ser
Sophia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok

"it was ok" is seriously such an accurate description of this book. good job, description-that-hovers-over-the-2-star-rating!

emma, our main character, is monumentally irritating. she compulsively lies about things that she shouldn't have to lie about, and is so horrendously unprofessional in her workplace, it's a wonder that she's maintained her job for as long as she has. and yet, somehow, she's an interesting and genuine person in the eyes of a multimillionaire. ok.

i think there's a
valee
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cont-romance
Worst book I have read in a LONG, long time. Seriously, How could so many of you like this book? Now I remember why I hate chick-lit so much. After having read and adored Something Borrowed and Something Blue I thought I wasn't giving enough credit to this genre, I thought there were some good books on it out there. Because of this, I went to a list with the best chick-lit books and added them to my TBR pile. This is the first one I try and I completely abhorred it.

I found this read and most of
Muse-ic ♬
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Emma doesn't like airplanes.
In fact, she's terrified of them.

One day she's on a flight when the airplane hits turbulance.
Emma being Emma freaks out and begins to babble, thinking it was her last moment of life, she spilled all of her secrets to the stranger next to her.
Her darkest secrets.
Her deepest fears.
Her most intimate thoughts.

But it's not such a big deal, because she's never going to see him again, right??

LOL!!!

It was a fun book for the most part. There were times when I was annoyed with
Zain Otoom
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR WITH AKIRA! Bo this was fun!
I really liked this book! It was hilarious and Despite the second hand embarrassment it was very funny! Emma herself as a character is very flawed and might make you face-palm every other page or so, but nonetheless, she's very likeable.
I enjoyed the romance very much! Jack is a sweetheart.
The only thing that bothered me a bit is how every fucking time when shit seems to go smoothly a problem arises. And it's more annoying because you already know what kind of en
Shannon (leaninglights)
*full review to come*
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

This was kind of fun but also kind of awful, as expected the heroine was an utter idiot and the plot was beyond silly, but I have to admit that there were some funny moments and the story despite being nonsensical was easy to get through and somewhat entertaining.

-Who the hell would reveal ALL their secrets to a total stranger? The heroine (Emma) blurted out every little detail of her life to some random guy sitting next to her just because the plane she was on was going thro
Paige  Bookdragon
What to say about this book?

I remember when my friends and I went to Cebu (another BIG island next to ours. Philippines is composed of of 7,107 islands..)

We went to a supermarket before going to our campsite to buy some basic stuffs.
One of my friends, Jeffrey was with me.(I don't know why he keeps on tagging along with me)

I know my period is just around the corner so I was looking for some tampons.

Now, tell me ladies. Can you buy a tampon with a straight face if one of your very male, very
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Another fun book from Sophie Kinsella!

I always have such a great time with her books, they always put a smile on my face and make me chuckle, and this book is no exception!

I loved the premise of this story, telling a complete stranger all your secrets in a moment of panic, thinking your secrets are safe then BOOM that stranger isn't a stranger anymore! I think it such a fun idea and as always I really enjoyed the characters. I found I could relate with Emma and I enjoyed hearing her story and t
Natalie Monroe
Can You Keep a Secret is possibly my favorite Kinsella standalone.

It follows the story of Emma, an ordinary, slightly ditzy girl (think Anna from Anna and the French Kiss) who accidentally spills all her secrets to a stranger on the plane. And that stranger later turns out to be her boss.

In honor of this book—and because I absolutely suck at writing reviews for books I love, I am going to spill to you, strangers of the Internet, all of my secrets. Okay, not all, but five.

1. I used to be majorly
Arlene
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Absolutely hilarious and entertaining!

Can You Keep a Secret is the type of novel you pick up to relax your imagination and enjoy the ride. I laughed throughout this entire book as Emma Corrigan stumbled through life tripping on mishap after mishap! She was an absolute delightful disaster!

In this novel, Emma Corrigan has high hopes for herself. She’s given an opportunity to represent her corporation in an important client campaign meeting. When the meeting falls apart, that’s only the beginning
Kate
Nov 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I completely forgot I read this book until I saw some reference to Sophie Kinsella and thought, "Wait, didn't I read something by her?" That's exactly what this book was: mildly entertaining and completely forgettable.
Serena
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anna Horner
Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret?" blew me away with its wit and humor. There were times when I roared out loud with laughter and there was a time near the end of the book where I wanted to weep. This book surpassed my expectations. After reading the Undomestic Goddess, I was expecting a book that was similarly amusing, but Emma is a much funnier character.

***Spoiler Alert***

When we meet Emma Corrigan she totally messes up a "slam-dunk" business meeting and is headed back to London from
Hippo dari Hongkong
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mereka yang pengen ketawa, gak peduli cewe ato cowo
sebuah pengakuan.. um.. setengah pengakuan lebih tepatnya

chiklit.. chicklit.. cik ah
okay.. okay.. gw baca chicklit juga ahirnya.
kesan pertama baca chiklit gw jadi punya perasaan udah ngintip kehidupan seorang cewe dan rahasia-rahasia mereka. oo.. jadi gini kalo cw lagi ember, oo.. jadi gini cewe kalo lagi dandan, oo.. jadi gini kalo cewe lagi ngegosipin cowo, oo.. jadi gini kalo cewe lagi ngadat, tanpa bermaksud untuk menyamaratakan cewe, jadi maaf kalo ada cewe yang merasa gak seperti itu ya..
  • Boy Meets Girl (Boy, #2)
  • Sleeping Arrangements
  • Miranda's Big Mistake
  • A Girl Like You
  • The Single Girl's To-Do List
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)
  • Babyville
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Be Careful What You Wish For
  • Alphabet Weekends
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
  • A Total Waste of Makeup (Charlize Edwards, #1)
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Sophie Kinsella...
“Relationships are all about trust and equality. If one person shares, then the other person should share, too.” 466 likes
“The truth is, some relationships are supposed to last forever, and some are only supposed to last a few days. That’s the way life is.” 337 likes