Comfort Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Chit Chat > Daily Chat

Comments (showing 401-450 of 13,251) (13251 new)    post a comment »

message 401: by [deleted user] (new)

I had my face-to-face bookclub last night (discussed The Book Thief and I Am the Messenger), and I am exhausted today. I stayed out too late, and had some wine and too many sweets...but it was fun.

message 402: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks So, Christine, what kind of book club do you prefer, a face-to-face one or an online one? I think I will have to put The Book Thief and some of the other books discussed in this group on my to-read list, it's just never going to get any real dents put into it ...

message 403: by [deleted user] (new)

I love the online ones because they are always there, and I love talking to people that I wouldn't meet any other way. The face-to-face thing is new for me. It was just our 3rd meeting, and we are really casual...it's just hanging out with the girls. I started it so I know everyone (but they didn't know each other...luckily they clicked).

message 404: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Lee (LeeKat) | 3959 comments Mod
Years ago I was in a face to face book club and it was exactly like Christine described. We ate, drank wine, gossiped and barely touched on the book but it was a lot of fun. I'd like to join one again but it takes time to find a group of people who you are compatible with I guess.

message 405: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Abigail wrote: "Where Mt TBR only goes in one direction..."

Oh, so, so true!!!

message 406: by Paula (new)

Paula | 184 comments Lee wrote: "I'd like to join one again but it takes time to find a group of people who you are compatible with I guess. ..."

I completely agree. I've tried two, and they both failed because the members just weren't compatible where books were concerned, primarily because a few people only wanted to read their favorite genres. Would love to try another one, but finding the people is hard.

message 407: by Lisa (last edited Feb 02, 2010 10:58AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) I really enjoy my real world book club. It's been going for 4 years. We have 9 members, 5 are original members, 4 have joined in at various times. We're all pretty flexible about what we read, and I've read a lot of books I wouldn't have otherwise read, and I've enjoyed almost all of them. None of us knew each other when we started out, and I wouldn't say any of them are friends, but I like them all. I never thought the club would last so long, and I'm not sure how long it will last, but for now it's fun. We meet only 8 times a year and read one book each time. We're very different but it helps that 7 of the 9 of us are vegan and one is lacto-ovo vegetarian and everyone is vegan friendly: we eat all vegan food at our meetings.

You can see our bookshelves here:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 408: by [deleted user] (new)

Paula wrote: "Lee wrote: "I'd like to join one again but it takes time to find a group of people who you are compatible with I guess. ..."

I completely agree. I've tried two, and they both failed because the ..."

I know I got lucky. I realized that I could invite 6 people who I was very good friends with that all loved to read, and one of them brought a friend. These are people who I have swapped books with in the past so our tastes are similar. I know it's usually harder to set these things up than that.

message 409: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Yes, people have to be willing to go outside their comfort zone when choosing books for it to work. That's the great thing about Goodreads, if you only like to read science fiction, historical fiction or romance you can join a genre specific book club. I notice that face to face book clubs tend to choose more general fiction. I guess it goes that way in order to please as many people as possible.

message 410: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Yes, people have to be willing to go outside their comfort zone when choosing books for it to work. That's the great thing about Goodreads, if you only like to read science fiction, historical fi..."

That is exactly what I like about goodreads. It is hard to find a face-to-face group that reads what I prefer to read. I was in a group last year, but we mostly chatted about a variety of topics and drank coffee!

message 411: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks You can do that only for so long. If I want to discuss a book, I usually want to get into the nitty-gritty, like historical significance, philosophy etc. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy it.

message 412: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Heeaaaaaaw! Yay for Goodreads!

message 413: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks I second that!!!

message 414: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Thirded! ;-)

message 415: by Paula (new)

Paula | 184 comments Fourthed! =)

message 416: by [deleted user] (new)

off topic....
Daughter going to take placement test for high school math + Son who is really sick and has to go along = Crazy Mother

Signed, Crazy Mother

message 417: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "off topic....
Daughter going to take placement test for high school math + Son who is really sick and has to go along = Crazy Mother

Signed, Crazy Mother"

Good luck to all 3 of you!

message 418: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Thanks for my morning giggle Crazy Mother. I hope all goes well.

message 419: by Mary (new)

Mary | 245 comments Fifthed for Goodreads!!

message 420: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Christine wrote: "off topic....

Signed, Crazy Mother"

Christine, Ah! That's the lovely thing about this thread: Nothing is off topic. I hope that you son gets better soon and that your daughter does very well on the test.

message 421: by [deleted user] (new)

Math test went very well + son's fever is going even higher = Happy and Worried Combo

Signed, Crazy Mother

message 422: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Yuck! I hate when they have fevers. So worrisome. Sending healing thoughts your way Christine.

message 423: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "Math test went very well + son's fever is going even higher = Happy and Worried Combo

Signed, Crazy Mother "

Take care! Fever will most likely go down with a bit more rest. Let us know.

message 424: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks And, make sure that your son drinks enough fluids; that often helps.

message 425: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 03, 2010 11:07AM) (new)

Lee wrote: "Yuck! I hate when they have fevers. So worrisome. Sending healing thoughts your way Christine. "

I hope that this doesn't sound awful, but it's driving me batty today. My son is autistic, and he tends to perseverate (get stuck on something, repeating)....so I have heard, "Mom, I'm sick!" about 68342869410093427578329 times today already. And it's only lunchtime.

message 426: by Paula (new)

Paula | 184 comments Dear Crazy Mother,
I don't think it sounds awful at all, I think it sounds honest. Parents who never admit to frustration just don't see quite healthy to me. I hope he feels better soon!

message 427: by [deleted user] (new)

Christine wrote: "Lee wrote: "Yuck! I hate when they have fevers. So worrisome. Sending healing thoughts your way Christine. "

I hope that this doesn't sound awful, but it's driving me batty today. My son is ..."

No, it does not sound awful! You love him, but he can still make you crazy. That's what kids can do especially well some days! :)

message 428: by [deleted user] (new)

Paula wrote: "Dear Crazy Mother,
I don't think it sounds awful at all, I think it sounds honest. Parents who never admit to frustration just don't see quite healthy to me. I hope he feels better soon!"

Thank you! As I type this he is walking in saying, "Mom! I'm still sick!" Really? I had no idea. But I do feel so bad for the poor little dude even if I am looking forward bedtime in a big way.

message 429: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Hang in there, Christine, and vent here. I have an aged father with dementia, and some days he drives me round the bend. Not only that, but I have his genes!

message 430: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Christine, I feel your pain. I hear "can I have a treat?" at least 50 times a day. I know it's not quite the same amount but it does drive me up the wall.

message 431: by Sandy (last edited Feb 03, 2010 03:02PM) (new)

Sandy | 24 comments Paula wrote: "Lee wrote: "I'd like to join one again but it takes time to find a group of people who you are compatible with I guess. ..."

I completely agree. I've tried two, and they both failed because the ..."

Lee wrote: "Years ago I was in a face to face book club and it was exactly like Christine described. We ate, drank wine, gossiped and barely touched on the book but it was a lot of fun. I'd like to join one ..."

Hey Christine and Lee, I attend an established book group in my small town. It has been going for about 15 or more years, almost everyone in it has known each other the decades they've lived in the town.... I joined about 9 years ago (lived in town that long too). The women are very nice and we get along although none of them are people I would call up to socialize with out of the group..... nothing wrong with any of them, just the way it goes. We get together at each others homes and chat, visit, have tea or wine or food or whatever. Eventually we DO get to the book and discuss it for an hour or so. It's a nice group of women and I find I do look forward to it each time even if there is not much beyond it socially. I've been a member of a writing group as well and with that group I find I really need to connect with the women more as it is a deeper intimate engagement to hear their personal writing and read my own.... I've grown to trust the women in my reading group and I know I could read my stuff to them but I still wouldn't.... but it's great for talking books! Anyway, just interesting observations about reading groups....If you end up looking, I hope you guys find groups that works for you sometime!
Ciao!

message 432: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments I was really honoured to be the guest speaker last year for the 90th anniversary of the Dickens Book Club in my hometown. With past members, some in their 90s, attending this reunion, there were well over 60 women present. The scariest part was that I knew most of them! - former teachers and mothers of old friends.

message 433: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 24 comments Gabriele, what fun! a) to be speaking at a group of neat and interesting women and b) to know so much about Dickens that you were chosen for such an event! I think it is terrific and I really hope the Dickens Book Club lives longer than your mom's generation. Happy reading!

message 434: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Actually, Sandy, the Dickens Club reads all kinds of books (including mine!). I expect that the original club, formed in 1919, focussed on his books, but then probably ran out!

message 435: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

Isn't that amazing that the club was founded in 1919 and is still going strong? Wow!

message 436: by Gabriele (last edited Feb 04, 2010 07:42AM) (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Yes, and there's an even older one in town called "The Fortnightly Club", founded in the 19th C. I believe, although they now meet monthly instead of bi-weekly. Both clubs are limited to 12 members, and are by invitation only - through a referral from one of the other members. You can imagine how long some of these women are together as a group. Retired members are invited back for a yearly reunion. And no, I was never invited to join while I lived there. : (

message 437: by Lee, Mod Mama (new)

That is an incredible tradition! Wouldn't it be wonderful to be a part of something like that?

message 438: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "That is an incredible tradition! Wouldn't it be wonderful to be a part of something like that? "

It's hard for me to imagine staying in one place for so many years. It seems to be the norm these days to move around a lot. The book groups sound lovely.

message 439: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Cat lovers... you may be interested in my blog today.

message 440: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) Gabriele wrote: "Cat lovers... you may be interested in my blog today."

hahaha! You nailed it, Gabriele!
Cute kitties.
^-^

message 441: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Thanks, Hannahr. I really miss them!

message 442: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) Gabriele wrote: "Thanks, Hannahr. I really miss them!"

Understand completely. I lost my Budroe over 17 years ago, and he's still in my mind.
Best-cat-ever..

message 443: by [deleted user] (new)

Gabriele wrote: "Cat lovers... you may be interested in my blog today."

I added myself to your followers.

message 444: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Thank you, Christine! : )

message 445: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments My new Kindle arrived yesterday. It was supposed to have been a Christmas present, and would have been a Christmas Kindle. : ) Yes, I hear the groan from fellow German speakers!

message 446: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) Gabriele wrote: "My new Kindle arrived yesterday. It was supposed to have been a Christmas present, and would have been a Christmas Kindle. : ) Yes, I hear the groan from fellow German speakers!"

haha!
Hope you enjoy it. Everyone seems to like these things, but I'm not ready for one. While I understand the advantages they sport, I still like to hold a book in my hands and smell the pages!

message 447: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks "A Christmas Kindle" Gabriele, I've got to remember this, it's cute.

message 448: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Hannahr wrote: "Hope you enjoy it. Everyone seems to like these things, but I'm not ready for one. While I understand the advantages they sport, I still like to hold a book in my hands and smell the pages!
..."

I do, too, Hannahr, but since I'm going to have to e-publish my books, I need to be au fait with the technology. Looking forward to having research texts handy and searchable, though. Yup, this baby is definitely not coming into the bath with me.

message 449: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (HannahR) Gabriele wrote: "Yup, this baby is definitely not coming into the bath with me...."

heehee- That would NOT be advisable - yikes.

I can see the advantages of it to you as a writer, and I imagine that in the not to distant future, paper books will be a thing of the past :(

message 450: by Gabriele (new)

Gabriele Wills (Muskoka) | 178 comments Hannahr wrote: "I can see the advantages of it to you as a writer, and I imagine that in the not to distant future, paper books will be a thing of the past :( "

I hope not!!!!! Hey, books are a better decoration than wallpaper! : )

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Out Stealing Horses (other topics)
My Family and Other Animals (other topics)
Not Me (other topics)
Firefly Lane (other topics)
Clouds of Witness (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dorothy L. Sayers (other topics)
Sue Grafton (other topics)
Patricia Cornwell (other topics)
Alston Chase (other topics)
Anna Quindlen (other topics)
More...