The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Interplanetary Biscotti

Comments Showing 1-50 of 863 (863 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Interplanetary Biscotti

Team Members:

Daniela Zekotic - Captain
Christina - Co-captain
Ashley Elig
Lau maia
Ambi
SandyL
Jen
Natalie

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Daniela (last edited Jan 23, 2020 12:25AM) (new)

message 6: by Daniela (last edited Jan 22, 2020 01:27AM) (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments I know Christina already mentioned most of this in her post, this is just a quick overview:

📚 Only books STARTED after the challenge begins can count. The challenge starts on Friday February 1, 2020 at 7pm (Sydney, New South Wals Time)

📚 Books must be more than 100 pages in length. If it is a Childrens book or a graphic novel, we need to verify it is more than 25,000 words on arbookfind.com.

📚 Your finished books need to be on your UNO shelf AND marked as "read" for them to count.

📚 Please make notes of how your book may count. The more options we have the better! (Letters used in UNO are Z,O,T,H,F,I,V,E,S,N,K,P and of course if another team member has read the book before. Please friend our team members!)

📚 For book titles starting with an article (A/An/The), the article can be ignored or used. So The Hiding Place, for example, could be used as title starting with T or H

📚Re-reads are ok provided it has been more than 6 months since last read

📚 This is a social challenge, not a competitive one. We'd love to get points, but the main aim of the game is to have fun, read lots and get to know each other :)

message 7: by Daniela (last edited Jan 22, 2020 01:30AM) (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments Why not prepare yourself for the challenge by making biscotti ;)

Here's a recipe for 4 different kinds of biscotti. Let us know if you do make them :D

message 8: by Christina (last edited Feb 01, 2020 06:41PM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Important links for captains + team mates

📚 All about UNO
📚 FAQs
📚 spreadsheet

📚 current points
📚 tineye
📚 arbookfind

- all books must be started after the challenge officially begins (see countdown)
- minimum page count is 101, and 25k words (verified on e.g. arbookfind or for audiobooks longer than 3 hours) for children's books, plays, etc.
- finished books (the edition you read!!!) need to be marked Read and on your uno shelf and posted in this thread

Book posting layout:
- (cover if possible)
- Book title:
- Author:
- Date Completed:
- All cards it works for, and why:

message 9: by Christina (last edited Apr 25, 2020 05:58PM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Book suggestions
- red covers
- blue covers
- green covers
- yellow covers

Important note: Some books on these lists may not seem like the colour cover. This is because GR will show the default version. There may be a specific version that has been shelved that is the actual colour. The version you read is what you should shelve, and is what counts, for UNO.

message 10: by Christina (last edited Feb 04, 2020 04:59PM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments (for captains to check when members last posted)

Daniela's Comments
Christina's Comments
Ambi's Comments
Ashley's Comments
Jen's Comments
Lau's Comments
Natalie's Comments
Sandy's Comments

message 11: by Christina (last edited Jan 21, 2020 05:53PM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Hi everyone! *waves*

My name is Christina, I live in Austria, and this is my fourth time co-captaining with Daniela. I'm waiting tables in my family's restaurant and I love going to concerts, exploring the world and listening to audiobooks while walking my dog :)

I used to read thrillers/mysteries for the most part, but I also like contemporaries, especially lgbt and hard hitting ones, but none that focus on romance only. Occasionally I read other genres as well and of course I'm always open to suggestions.

A special welcome to our newbies this year - I know this might be a bit much at first, but please try to get familiar with the rules and don't hesitate to ask if you've got any questions.
Important links and infos are shared and get updated in the posts above.

For starters, please introduce yourselves and link your uno shelves :)

my uno shelf: uno-challenge-2020

message 12: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments Hello everyone! I'm Ambi. I live in Texas. This is my first time playing the UNO challenge and I'm really excited. I'm a student, still in high school, probably the youngest of the bunch. I love traveling, photography, film, and cooking.

I read most genres but I steer clear from romance, unless I have heard of great reviews. Sorry romance readers but if you have a recommendation, I will give it a try.

My shelf: uno-2020

message 13: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments I love this dessert theme they have going on. :)

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elig | 329 comments Hi all! Ashley here. I live in Ohio and this is my first time participating in the UNO challenge. I’m so excited to play and my sister is on one of the other teams. I hope she does well, but I also hope we beat her team! I am a mama to a 15 month old little girl and work part time as an assistant in a clothing boutique. I like to read obviously, but I also love tv and jigsaw puzzles.

I typically read a mix of suspense/mystery/thriller, contemporary, chick lit, and celebrity memoirs... but I will try most any genres.

My shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

(I can’t seem to figure out how to make it look pretty)

Looking forward to reading with you guys!

message 15: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments Hello :) as Christina already said, it's our fourth time being co-captains together. Christina is also a wizard regarding the spreadsheet, which makes my life easier :p

I'm from Austria, and I study german, english and maths to become a teacher. I also work as an english tutor for my city.

I read almost everything, but my favourite genres are mystery/murder. I decided to do the Popsugar Challenge this year, so I'll be reading basically any genre.

Christina already mentioned it, we share everything important above, so you won't have to jump between group chats. I ask everyone to read through our posts above at least a few days before the challenge starts.

message 16: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments Oh and what I forgot to mention; everyone should read whatever they want, you don't need to reserve certain cards, everything will find its place :) only thing we should be planning are coloured cards!

message 17: by Ichebi (new)

Ichebi Hi Everyone,

I'm Lau and I'm from Portugal. This is my first time participating in UNO but I've been participating in other team challenges.
I have a 22 month old at home and I work part time at a call center and hate it :)

My favourite genres are non fiction, fantasy, romance and generally ya but I read mostly anything.

My shelf
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Waves at ambi :)

message 18: by Ichebi (new)

Ichebi And how should we plan for coloured cards?

message 19: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments Lau Maia wrote: "And how should we plan for coloured cards?"

Christina put the coloured cards we need in the comments above. So if you find a book with a green, blue or yellow colour, which also works for the certain letter each colour has, let us know.

she also put up book suggestions, so there might be a book you'd like to read? :) it's also fine not to read for a coloured card

message 20: by Ichebi (new)

Ichebi Ok, let me know anytime if you need me to cover for any card that's difficult :)

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elig | 329 comments Daniela wrote: "Lau Maia wrote: "And how should we plan for coloured cards?"

Christina put the coloured cards we need in the comments above. So if you find a book with a green, blue or yellow colour, which also w..."

If we plan to read something that would work for a colored card, do we comment on Christina's post where those are listed? Or how do we plan for those? I know that I plan to read a book with a yellow cover in February and it should work for one of the colored cards!

message 22: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments Hey Lau Maia. So glad to see a familiar face. :)

If everyone has the same number of hands, then how does one win?

message 23: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments @Ashley this is what this group is for, just post it in here :) we only communicate through this chat

message 24: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments @Ambi some cards give more points, f.e if we have lots of coloured cards we overall get more points. There will also be mini challenges for extra points. Not every team will finish all of their cards or the whole mini challenge

message 25: by Ichebi (new)

Ichebi I've flagged it nevertheless

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elig | 329 comments I will be reading The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren for another book group in February. It has a yellow cover and one of the main characters is named Ethan, so it should work for 8 Yellow. I figured I might as well just put that out there since I know I will be reading it and it works for a colored card.

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Ashley wrote: "I will be reading The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren for another book group in February. It has a yellow cover and one of the main characters is named Ethan, so it should work for 8 Yellow. I f..."

yay Ashley! I've already seen that The Unhoneymooners is on your priority tbr and was hoping you would read it in February after finding out it has an E character ;) I'll put you down for it both in my post #9 and in the spreadsheet, alright?

message 28: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Ambi wrote: "I love this dessert theme they have going on. :)"

it makes me crave all those sweet things though x)

message 29: by Ashley (last edited Jan 22, 2020 11:00AM) (new)

Ashley Elig | 329 comments Christina wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I will be reading The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren for another book group in February. It has a yellow cover and one of the main characters is named Ethan, so it should work fo..."

Sounds good! I'm not sure what else I'll be reading yet, due to other challenges, but I can definitely commit to that one now!

message 30: by Christina (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:34PM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments if I didn't mess up the chart in our spreadsheet we have to read 80 books in total in February. Definitely sounds achievable as a team :)
There's no need to claim 'normal' cards, but we do ask you to give us all the options your book works for whenever you finish one so we can do some switching around if needed.

The only cards up for claiming are the coloured cards, Wild Draw 4's and perhaps the Reverses (reading a book that another member of our team has read before) as they're harder to find.

In February we need to cover (one of each):
- 8 (letter E) Yellow - claimed by Ashley (ch Ethan - The Unhoneymooners)
- 9 (letter N) Yellow
- 1 (letter O) Green
- 4 (letter F) Green
- 7 (letter V) Blue
- 8 (letter E) Blue
- 9 (letter N) Blue

AND additionally six Wild Draw 4's which means we have to duplicate 6 of the coloured cards - but each coloured card can only by duplicated once!

message 31: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments I don’t really plan books beforehand. However, I can find a quick read if you want some of the more difficult tasks done. Like 7 Blue. Let me know.

Also, can we make a list of our recommendations, so we can use it for Reverse and at the same time enjoy what others have read.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everybody! I'm Natalie!
This is my first time playing Uno, so I'm super excited to get started!

I'm currently in high school (Ambi you aren't alone!) and I love art of any kind. I love playing tennis, playing the guitar, reading (obviously), swimming, and travelling. Also I'm obsessed with anything Disney ;)

I mainly read YA books, but also like mystery, fantasy and dystopians.

My shelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen (book_worm23) | 175 comments Hi everyone! My name is Jen.
This is my 3rd time playing Uno, yay.

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I work full time as an IT Admin Assistant, and I go to school full time as well. Life is busy but I always make time for books. I'm excited to be doing this another year, UNO is one of my favourite challenges.

My favourite genre depends on my mood. So anything from mystery to YA, SciFI, Fantasy, to even the occasionally cringe romance.

I look forward to this challenge starting.

I will also note that while I am always reading a book, because my schedule is a bit busy I may get behind on posting when I finish. So forgive me if I disappear infrequently.

My shelf:
uno-2020

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Jen wrote: "I will also note that while I am always reading a book, because my schedule is a bit busy I may get behind on posting when I finish. So forgive me if I disappear infrequently."

Don't worry about it Jen, just make sure to check in at least once a week and post your finished books before the month is over :) (also, as I'm sure you know there usually are mini challenges halfway through each month so try not to miss those ;))

message 35: by SandyL (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:47PM) (new)

SandyL | 336 comments Hi! I'm Sandy and this is also my 3rd time playing Uno. I live near Los Angeles, CA and I do taxes, so this challenge always falls during my busy time, but it's too much fun to let it pass by. I'm also fostering some puppies right now, so my life is a bit crazy at the moment, and reading is what keeps me sane. I mostly read romance, but I read other genre's for challenges.

I'm looking forward to getting started!

My shelf is uno-2020

message 36: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments SandyL wrote: "Hi! I'm Sandy and this is also my 3rd time playing Uno. I live near Los Angeles, CA and I do taxes, so this challenge always falls during my busy time, but it's too much fun to let it pass by. I'm ..."

and there's Sandy :) I was just about to post that I'm sure you'll check in soon but my internet is a mess and didn't post lol. I love that you're fostering puppies <3 what breed are they?

message 37: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments so I'll go ahead and claim 9 Yellow with The Hunting Party (character Nick) for now :)

message 38: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments Welcome Sandy and Jen! Ooh puppies....

Yeah go ahead Christina.

message 39: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments Welcome Natalie, Sandy and Jen :) I'm happy that everyone already checked in!

Especially for newbies: If you have questions, ask away, that's what we are here for. And I want to remind everyone that this is a social challenge! Of course we want to win (duh ;)), but it's more important that everyone has fun reading, and that we get to know our teammates better. :)

message 40: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments where do you guys usually get your books from? do you just have stacks of them lying around at home, or do you also use websites like scribd, audible or your libraries? :)

message 41: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments Mostly my libraries. I have a local library which does not have that many options or the latest releases so I also get books from another library. Occasionally, I buy books but I'm a little intimidated to do that because what if it was not worth it. And the rate I go through books I definitely need free resources or else I would go broke. :)

What about you?

message 42: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Elig | 329 comments Christina wrote: "where do you guys usually get your books from? do you just have stacks of them lying around at home, or do you also use websites like scribd, audible or your libraries? :)"

I have an overflowing bookshelf with hundreds of unread books at home that I'm trying to focus on this year. (I'm on a book buying ban until I get through a good chunk of them.) I also check out a decent amount of books from the library and get audiobooks and ebooks from there as well through the Libby app. I just started doing ebooks and got a Kindle paperwhite for Christmas!

message 43: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments I love how many people are using libraries, and I'm so glad I can use 'mine' through the Libby app as well. It's super handy, but I also got a scribd subscription as they have lots of audiobooks available I won't be able to find at my library.
I do have quite a lot of unread books on my shelves at home, but for some reason I hardly ever read any of those 😬 I don't buy as many books as I used to buy though, so that's at least something lol, right?

message 44: by Ichebi (new)

Ichebi I have a lot of books lying around that I want to get to read and I'm trying to do that this year. Along with it I have an e reader and I do audiobooks when cleaning so that's it for me.

message 45: by Daniela (new)

Daniela Zekotic | 883 comments I desperatly need to get my library card renewed for this challenge

message 46: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 336 comments My foster puppies are mixes - the mom was a golden retriever but none of them look anything like her, and they are all a bit different from each other, so it looks like multiple dads and mom isn't talking!

I don't read too many physical books anymore. I use my kindle and audible. I mostly get my books from either Overdrive, either ebooks or audio, and then I have a subscription to audible. I occasionally buy an ebook if it's something I really want to read or need it for a challenge and I can't borrow it from OD. Several of the groups I belong to post regular listings for free books, so I've got a ton on my kindle.

message 47: by Jen (new)

Jen (book_worm23) | 175 comments I have a large pile of physical books and eBooks, my friend and I also tend to pass books back and forth when we have the chance because we have similar tastes in books, so if one of us buys a book and likes it we will usually lend it to the other. But I definitely spend way too much on books.

message 48: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments Daniela wrote: "I desperatly need to get my library card renewed for this challenge"

that's exactly what I did when I went to Vienna last week ;)

(btw they had Floored in the main library back then which is Yellow and works for quite a few numbers/letters ;) I've read it last year and there are 7 main characters or so!)

message 49: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1007 comments SandyL wrote: "My foster puppies are mixes - the mom was a golden retriever but none of them look anything like her, and they are all a bit different from each other, so it looks like multiple dads and mom isn't ..."

you're welcome to share photos of the pups if you want to ;) we have a Belgian/German sheperd mix and she's a scaredy cat lol but I love her so much <3

I'll need to check out Overdrive, but scribd is pretty nice too. and I'm on a vendetta against amazon lol.

message 50: by Ambi (new)

Ambi | 172 comments What are your favorite books? It may also come in handy while reading for the Reverse Card.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18