Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Team Brownie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 219 (219 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2019 05:39PM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Hello Team Brownie! This topic is just for you to discuss your strategy and progress throughout the week. Make sure to take a moment to read over the rules of the challenge here before you dive in.

Team Roster
Karissa (co-leader)
Brittany (co-leader)
Jen K (co-leader)
Cali (co-leader)
Khristina
Rachel
Joan
Samantha
Vanessa
Kelly Brown
Chinook
Allegra
Errlee

Quest #1 - Bookshelves Challenge
(view spoiler)

Quest #2 - Visiting Home

(view spoiler)

Quest #3 - The Scouts
(view spoiler)

Quest 4:

Sometimes we have to take a moment and just reflect on the journey. For the next stop, we'll focus on some of the books that have already been completed.

Read 15 books related to books that your team has read so far in this read-a-thon. Books must be connected by the following ways:
- 5 books published in the same year
- 4 books with the same word in the title [excluding A, An, and The]
- 3 books with a similar cover [color, object, etc.]
- 2 books set in the same location or written by authors born in the same locations [country]
- 1 book by the same author

Read 3 books [or books by authors] that are mentioned in a read-a-thon game.

Hint: If you're having trouble, it may be a good idea for members of your group to play the read-a-thon games ;)

This should equal 18 total books for quest 3.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Hello friends! Happy to be reading and defeating our first quest together! With a last name like Brown, Team Brownie seems like a good fit.

I am halfway through No One's Home by D.M. Pulley. The book just came out, so Mystery is the only shelf I found so far that matches our quest. I have more than 125 pages left to read, so it will count for our quest. Thank you to all of our leaders!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Well, I was already craving chocolate today, so I guess it's only fitting that I'm on Team Brownie, lol!

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 406 comments Also excited about our team name because football starts this week and I'm in Cleveland so its perfect. I'm really excited for this read a thon because I have been in a slump.

message 5: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments Hi team!!! I'm ready for the read-a-thon :)

I'm currently reading Rendezvous with Rama (at 35%) and The Fourth Protocol (on pag. 162 of 350).

Rendezvous with Rama would work for:
- sci-fi
- all-time-favorites

The Fourth Protocowould work for (well this shelves appear):
- Adventure
- Historical Fiction
- Mystery

I will start with Rendezvous with Rama

message 6: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Hey Team Brownie!

Excited to start the read-a-thon!

I attempted a spreadsheet to help track the reads. Please feel free if you have a better one or feedback to improve.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Hopefully everyone can edit?

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments Jen K wrote: "Hey Team Brownie!

Excited to start the read-a-thon!

I attempted a spreadsheet to help track the reads. Please feel free if you have a better one or feedback to improve.

https://docs.google.com/s..."

Thanks Jen, and yes, I can edit the spreadsheet

message 8: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Thanks for the count column addition! Super helpful!

message 9: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 433 comments Yay Team Brownie! Thanks Jen for creating the spreadsheet. I added a column to count the number of options we have for each bookshelf and also a sum for books read so we know when we reach the 15 needed shelves. Can't wait to start reading when I wake up in the morning!

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Sep 06, 2019 09:54PM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments With the way things are going with Spinning Silver for me, I have a feeling finishing that off will be all I end up reading on the first day of the read-a-thon for me. Unfortunately, I have about 100 pages left, not 125, so it can't even count toward anything. I have 3+ hours of work to do during the day too, so hopefully I can finish this one off and get at least a start on something else.

message 11: by Samantha (last edited Sep 07, 2019 01:16AM) (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments Hi Team Brownie! Excited to start reading with you all. I've picked two books to start with which cover quite a few options for shelves. I've added them to the spreadsheet (Thanks, Jen!) but I'll list them here too:

1. Welcome to the Dark House (Dark House, #1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz can cover either: Cover-Love, Wishlist, Stand-Alone, Contemporary, or Library-books

2. Vermilion by Molly Tanzer can cover either: Cover-Love, Wishlist, LGBT, Contemporary, Historical Fiction, Adventure, or Female-Authors

I will say that some of the shelves don't make a whole lot of sense for the books (Dark House is def. not a standalone) but I am just going by what Goodreads has listed.

I can also probably fit in a Retelling if we need it with Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

message 12: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments Hey - late joiner. I’m reading The God of Small Things right now.

I only use my phone generally so it’s hard to see the big picture on the spreadsheet. Are there categories no one has possibly covered right now? If so, which?

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 406 comments Chinook wrote: "Hey - late joiner. I’m reading The God of Small Things right now.

I only use my phone generally so it’s hard to see the big picture on the spreadsheet. Are there categories no one has possibly co..."

Hi Chinook, looks like nature, faves, music, retellings, September, September 2019, and Inspirational are all have zero options at this time.

message 14: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 433 comments There are some shelves on the spreadsheet without options right now, but we also only have to complete 15 out of the 26 shelves so we've got a decent amount of wiggle room. I would suggest just reading anything that has a few options of where it can fit at this point.

message 15: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Good morning! I have a couple of quick reads that I should be able to finish today. Looks like we are making good progress on a variety of books.

message 16: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 433 comments I read New Erotica for Feminists: Satirical Fantasies of Love, Lust, and Equal Pay this morning which barely squeaked into the challenge at 131 pages. I'm going to post it into 2019 Reading Challenge since it's currently the only option for that shelf. The mods said we could change the order though so if we need to move it, it could also fit in: Read in 2019, wishlist, female authors, and library books.

message 17: by Vanessa (last edited Sep 07, 2019 06:43AM) (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments Good morning Team!

I hope finish almost 1 book today

Karissa wrote: "There are some shelves on the spreadsheet without options right now, but we also only have to complete 15 out of the 26 shelves so we've got a decent amount of wiggle room. I would suggest just rea..."

Ohhh, I missed this... I imagine that when the 15 shelves were completed, others would be unlocked

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Vanessa wrote: "Good morning Team!

I hope finished almost 1 book today

Karissa wrote: "There are some shelves on the spreadsheet without options right now, but we also only have to complete 15 out of the 26 shel..."

The next quest will be an entirely different game ;)

message 19: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments Has y'all seen emily's spreadsheet? I'm thinking about update ours to have 2 tabs as well (planning & completed). Thoughts? I'm not sure how co-leading works and if I'm stepping on anyones toes :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 20: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 406 comments Cali wrote: "Has y'all seen emily's spreadsheet? I'm thinking about update ours to have 2 tabs as well (planning & completed). Thoughts? I'm not sure how co-leading works and if I'm stepping on anyones toes :)
..."

Go for it Cali, I'm really go with the flow so I'm pretty cool with anything.

message 21: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments Also forgot to mention, I'll probably finish both books I'm working on either today or tomorrow am. They fit in a lot of categories so I'll just pick whatever is emptiest then

And thank you Brittany :)

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 406 comments I started You this morning and have no plans except for reading for today. Fingers crossed I get it finished today because I'm tailgating tomorrow and heading out at 5 in the morning so I highly doubt I'll be doing any reading tomorrow.

message 23: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I started All Systems Red this morning and I’m fairly sure it’ll be finished today - though we have a kindergarten birthday party to attend as well, so...

message 24: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments @ Cali, definitely go for it with the spreadsheet. I do not have those skills and appreciate the adjustments!

message 25: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments I just finished Every Heart a Doorway. I will look for a good spot but it can be changed as we complete other books.

message 26: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Putting Every Heart a Doorway for coming-of-age for now since the other books in the category fit other areas with less options.

message 27: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Just finished Long Way Down and put it in for read in 2019 since that one was free.

message 28: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments wooo Jen you're on a roll!

message 29: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 433 comments I just finished The Poet X which I had 77% of the audiobook left to listen to (roughly 275 pages). I put it in Diverse Books since there were no other options, but it would also work for Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Read in 2019, Coming of Age, Wishlist, LGBT, 5 Stars, Library Books, and All Time Favorites.

message 30: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments I finished Rendezvous with Rama and I put it in Sci-fi, but it would work for all-time-favorites.

message 31: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments I finished The Heart's Invisible Furies a bit ago and am ~1hr from finishing my audiobook The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming. I put The Heart's invisible furies into Family since the other book had multiple open shelves.

As we finish more categories I'm happy to switch around titles as needed if you don't feel like doing it yourself - just let me know. I'm a spreadsheet nerd and since I spend most of my job in google sheets no one will notice if I'm doing it at the office ;)

message 32: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 163 comments Hi guys - I'm late to the party but just got assigned to the team. I've never done one of these before so bear with me ... also never even looked at a bookshelf so just figuring that out now.

I'm currently reading The Overstory by Richard Powers (250 pages in, 250 to go - it's for the book over 500 pages prompt), and that would fit in Nature I think. I haven't looked at the spreadsheet yet, so will do that next (I'm not super familiar with working with those either ... bit of a Luddite over here).

Also started Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town by Jon Krakauer so I'll see if that might slot in somewhere too.

message 33: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments Errlee wrote: "Hi guys - I'm late to the party but just got assigned to the team. I've never done one of these before so bear with me ... also never even looked at a bookshelf so just figuring that out now.

I'm..."

Hi Errlee! I added your books to the spreadsheet. I just finished another book and wanted to see what it should count for. Both of your books have a lot of matching shelves so it shouldn't be difficult fitting them.

I just finished The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming and added it as nature. I'll start Love & Other Carnivorous Plants and will pick another audio book for tomorrow.

message 34: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Nice work on all the books read! We are about half way on Quest 1!

@Cali, jealous of the impressive spreadsheet skills!

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I just finished Spinning Silver, but I only had 100 pages left by the start of the readathon, so I don't think I can count it toward anything :(

message 36: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments Hello All -
Sorry to check in late. I was being extremely lazy today and I binged watched season 3 of 13 Reasons Why.

I'm currently reading The Thorn Birds and still have 347 pages left. It looks like it can count for the Family prompt.

I'm still catching on to how the spreadsheet works but I'll take a stab at it and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't figured out what else I'm going to attempt this week.

I'm looking forward to working with you all!!

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Hello all! Just checking in for the day.

I am still reading No One's Home. I have about 100 pages left. I will hopefully get it done tomorrow so our Mystery spot will be filled.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday, and great job so far!

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I also started Quiver. 84 pages in currently, and hoping to read a good chunk of it (or even finish it) tomorrow.

message 39: by Allegra (last edited Sep 07, 2019 10:45PM) (new)

Allegra | 131 comments Hi, all. Just assigned to the team.
I'm currently reading ttfn (Library Books, Wishlist, Coming of Age). I just started Catch-22 (Historical Fiction, Wishlist), but it's audio so I should be able to push through if we need HistFic.
I'll try to look at the list tomorrow to see what if I can fill any gaps with other books I have lined up
And let me know if I'm using the spreadsheet properly. Thanks

message 40: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments Hi Team Brownie. I finished Welcome to the Dark House! I put it under 'Cover-Love' on the spreadsheet because it was one of the options it fit that had the fewest other potentials. Obv it can be moved if need be.

While I am now sorely tempted to dive straight into the sequel, I will instead start (and hopefully power through) Vermilion to see if I can fill in the 'Female-Authors' shelf.

message 41: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 433 comments I finish Sing To It: New Stories by Amy Hempel and put it under Library Books. It could also fit under wishlist and contemporary.

message 42: by Jen K (last edited Sep 08, 2019 06:06AM) (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Good morning and welcome to those just joining! We are so close to making it to Quest 2!

I should finish Sweet Spot: An Ice Cream Binge Across America today. It only qualifies for "wishlist' but at least it qualifies and I need to get it back to the library.

message 43: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments Good morning Team!!!

I am still readig The Fourth Protocol.

message 44: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments I'm about halfway through Love & Other Carnivorous Plants and am starting Me Talk Pretty One Day. I have some family obligations this afternoon but will check in on my phone. I'll hop on a computer once we have 14/15 books done to do some tetris with our shelves if needed.

message 45: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 163 comments Cali wrote: "Errlee wrote: "Hi guys - I'm late to the party but just got assigned to the team. I've never done one of these before so bear with me ... also never even looked at a bookshelf so just figuring that..."

Thanks Kali - just fyi, I finished The Overstory this morning, so that one is good to slot in where it fits best. But won't be finished Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town for the next couple of days I don't think so that shouldn't go on yet ... seems like we might meet the task without that one anyways. I am going to go look at the spreadsheet now - I wasn't having any luck with it last night.

message 46: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 163 comments So just looking at the spreadsheet - are we supposed to cross it off (strike a line through it) when we have finished a book? Or should we just post that we have finished it and let one of the captains take care of it - I am finding it a bit confusing, sorry.

message 47: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments @ Errlee, all options are acceptable! I'm happy strike it through and post the completed book for you. Historical Fiction okay?

Did you enjoy it? I have it on my list to read.

message 48: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 163 comments Jen K wrote: "@ Errlee, all options are acceptable! I'm happy strike it through and post the completed book for you. Historical Fiction okay?

Did you enjoy it? I have it on my list to read."

Sure thanks - although I think the historical fiction bookshelf is an odd place for it - I don't think of the 80s-present day as historical, but maybe that shows my age :) Still, it's on the list so good enough for the task!

I have mixed feelings about it - it wasn't exactly a quick read and I took a break halfway through and started it up again this week ... the writing was good and characters interesting, and the environmental and tree components thought provoking but I'm just not sure it was an overall enjoyable read? I go back and forth - I don't regret reading it but I think it could have been shorter and just as effective.

message 49: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments @ Errlee, I wouldn't consider the '80's historical either!! Feeling old now. I'm still intrigued but is a shame that some books go on too much. Hope the next one is more enjoyable!

Only 4 MORE books until the next Quest, Let's go Team Brownie!!!

message 50: by Allegra (last edited Sep 08, 2019 12:01PM) (new)

Allegra | 131 comments Finished ttfn last night, and it looks like Wishlist is still not crossed out. I'm not sure if I should adjust spreadsheet, as I"m not even on the roster at this point.

Also, I'm trying to look at the "open" shelves before I start my next book, but I'm finding the search, um, tedious. Is there a better way to see what qualifies than scanning all those tiny smashed-together words to find perfect matches? I feel as though I must be doing this wrong

« previous 1 3 4 5