Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Team Challenge Introduction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
We're a matter of hours away from our next read-a-thon! One of the most exciting parts of the event are our team challenges.

This time around we're taking the amazing suggestion of one of our members (shout out to Kathryn!) and doing a QUEST! That means we will start the week with one challenge and you will move on to different games as your team completes the challenge.

If you have't already signed up, head on over here and we'll add you to a team.

description

Book Shelves Team Challenge
The first stop of your quest is an ATY Bookshelves Challenge. For this stop, teams will be reading books for each of the book shelves listed below. Like in team challenges past, you will need to communicate with your team to determine who is reading a book for which shelf so nothing gets missed and you don't spend time all reading the same shelves. Finish off 15 shelves in order to advance to the next stop. Like any true quest, you won't know what's coming until you get there.

Rules
1. In order for the book to count for the challenge, the shelf must be listed on the first page of your book's top shelves (i.e. the first 100 shelves).
2. Shelves must match exactly. For example, "to-buy" is not the same as "want-to-buy" and "loved" is not the same as "loved-it."
3. Your team can only read a book once per shelf so you will need to coordinate and communicate to be certain you're not reading over one another. One book per shelf. If two team members are reading the same book, each member must choose a different shelf for that book.
4. Books need to be 125+ pages to count. If you're already in the middle of a book before the read-a-thon starts, you can count it for this challenge as long as you have at least 125 pages to go.
5. Have fun! This challenge is about reading more, working together, and having a good time. Lets keep the easy-going, helpful, considerate vibe our group is well known for along with the spirit of competition. :)

If you're not familiar with where to find the book shelves for your Goodreads books, there is a link to "top shelves" listed below the genres on the right column of the page. See the screenshots below:

description
description

Tips
· Look at the shelves for the books you're most likely to read in the net day or two and let your team know what possible shelves you could fill.
· If you're looking for a specific book to fit a specific shelf, you can use the genre search bar to search for specific shelves by name. It will display results for the books most popularly assigned to that shelf. You can also click the links provided for each shelf to go directly to that shelf's popular books page. NOTE: You still need to double check the first page of top shelves for any books you find there to make sure it qualifies.

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 06, 2019 04:59PM) (new)

Team Cake
Traci (co-leader)
Jillian (co-leader)
Samantha
Devin
Deborah
Chrissy
Jill
Veronica
Sarah
Alaina

Team Cookie
Kathy Jo (co-leader)
Emily (co-leader)
MKay
Lesa
Jackie
Kathy
Edie
Storm
Jackie
Sarah E

Team Brownie:
Karissa (co-leader)
Brittany (co-leader)
Jen K (co-leader)
Cali (co-leader)
Khristina
Rachel
Joan
Samantha
Vanessa
Kelly Brown

Team Pie:
Johanne (co-leader)
Kathryn (co-leader)
Ellie
Trish
Mini
Hilde
Lieke
Ira
Marina
Hannah

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments How exciting! The quest sounds great, mods!

Just a couple of questions.

If someone says a book of theirs can fit a shelf, and then we realise it would fit into a more obscure shelf, can it be moved around?

And you said the shelves must match exactly. I'm assuming that goes for hyphens as well e.g. standalone isn't the same as stand-alone?

message 5: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Sep 06, 2019 07:04PM) (new)

Yes and correct.

I think it’s fine to move them around as much as you like.

message 6: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 818 comments Does "finish off 15 shelves in order" mean the person who is reading a book for 2019 Reading Challenge needs to finish the book before the person reading for Cover-love? If so, how would you move a book around?

message 7: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 6924 comments Mod
Ahhhh I love this! I’m working right now but I’ll put together a spreadsheet for the teams to use when I get home in a few hours, unless someone gets to it first!

message 8: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

No just “in order to” advance. They don’t need to actually be in order :)

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Laura wrote: "Yes and correct.

I think it’s fine to move the, around as much as you like."

Great, thanks, Laura!

message 10: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Team cake has a spreadsheet people are welcome to look at, link is in message 4.

message 11: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Traci wrote: "Team cake has a spreadsheet people are welcome to look at, link is in message 4."

Thank you, Traci! I'm not the spreadsheet wizard many of you are, although with a bit of time, I can normally do what I want in Excel, but nor am I proficient in Google Drive!! Perhaps my offer to co-lead wasn't too well-thought-out!!

I made a copy of your spreadsheet for Team Pie, took out all your info in the copy and clicked "share with the same people", so I'm hoping it will work!!

message 12: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Kathryn wrote: "Traci wrote: "Team cake has a spreadsheet people are welcome to look at, link is in message 4."

Thank you, Traci! I'm not the spreadsheet wizard many of you are, although with a bit of time, I can..."

My team added some good improvements to my basic structure!

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Traci wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Traci wrote: "Team cake has a spreadsheet people are welcome to look at, link is in message 4."

Thank you, Traci! I'm not the spreadsheet wizard many of you are, although with a bi..."

A team effort, then! It does look good!

message 14: by Jillian (last edited Sep 06, 2019 08:53PM) (new)

Jillian | 1630 comments I'm looking at the books for the shelf September 2019. I am a bit concerned that this is a very limit set of books and that it make be US published based. After following the link, the books that fit the first page are showing up being published Sept. 3rd, 10th or later in the month. I'm just wondering if there really are more books than what I am seeing.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Jillian wrote: "I'm looking at the books for the shelf September 2019. I am a bit concerned that this is a very limit set of books and that it make be US published based. After following the link, the books that f..."

I guess if no one in your team is inclined to read any of those books, it doesn't necessarily matter too much, Jillian - I think I counted about 25 or 26 shelves, and we only need to complete 15 of them to progress onto the next task.

message 16: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1630 comments Kathryn wrote: "Jillian wrote: "I'm looking at the books for the shelf September 2019. I am a bit concerned that this is a very limit set of books and that it make be US published based. After following the link, ..."

I guess, I should have counted the shelves posted. I thought we had to complete all of them.

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Jillian wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Jillian wrote: "I'm looking at the books for the shelf September 2019. I am a bit concerned that this is a very limit set of books and that it make be US published based. After foll..."

I hadn't counted them myself until now - but when I saw we needed to finish 15 shelves, I knew there was a bit of leeway!

message 18: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I've taken the spreadsheet and updated it for my team (and the way my brain works) with two separate tabs to track all of the books we've completed for the challenge vs. our planning tab.

If you're interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Emily wrote: "I've taken the spreadsheet and updated it for my team (and the way my brain works) with two separate tabs to track all of the books we've completed for the challenge vs. our planning tab.

If you'r..."

Is there a way, Emily (or anyone with more knowledge of Google spreadsheets than me), to add totals in a column without numbers? So if a column has 3 boxes with text (the name of a book), is there a way to count those 3 boxes?

So with Traci's sheet, which I've set up for Team Pie: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/..., she has column B set up for a the final book chosen for a particular shelf. I'm wondering if cell B31 can have a formula in it so we can see how many shelves have been finished??

message 20: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

If you use the following formula, it should work:

=COUNTA(

It will count all cells that have something in them... just make sure no one goes into a box and hits space without realizing it, because it will count it there.

message 21: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

In Team Cookie's spreadsheet, I've added an opening column to our Read-A-Thon Completions tab that will allow us to track how many books we've read for each quest, and how many books we've read total.

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 562 comments Emily wrote: "If you use the following formula, it should work:

=COUNTA(

It will count all cells that have something in them... just make sure no one goes into a box and hits space without realizing it, becaus..."

Perfect!! Thanks, Emily!!

message 23: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Kathryn wrote: "Emily wrote: "I've taken the spreadsheet and updated it for my team (and the way my brain works) with two separate tabs to track all of the books we've completed for the challenge vs. our planning ..."

I was just looking at the same thing after Jillian pointed out we didn't have to complete all the shelves (which I completely missed). Glad Emily could help out!

message 24: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments Does the order have to be the same?
I found reading challenge 2019 instead of 2019 reading challenge.

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 211 comments I'm reading A Single Man. This works for the LGBT shelf.

message 26: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

The shelves should be an exact match, all except for the capitalization.

And to confirm, there are more than 15 shelves so you can pick and choose which ones you want to complete.

message 27: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments With the hyphens - I thought that all shelves always had a hyphen if it was more than one word?

Like I thought female authors would be turned into female-authors?

message 28: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Chinook wrote: "With the hyphens - I thought that all shelves always had a hyphen if it was more than one word?

Like I thought female authors would be turned into female-authors?"

Yes, that’s correct.

message 29: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Just to confirm, we can use a book for Read in 2019 if it is tagged the same with hyphens: Read-in-2019?

Thanks for clarifying!

message 30: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Yes, those are the same thing.

message 31: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 393 comments Laura wrote: "Yes, those are the same thing."

Thanks!!!

message 32: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments I'm confused. Some multiple-word shelves have hyphens, some don't. Do the hyphens have to match or not?

message 33: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Oh that's probably what you answered... I thought the hyphens had to match as well?

message 34: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

When searching bookshelves, all spaces are automatically turned into hyphens. So while this list has spaces, bookshelves will have hyphens.

So ignore capitals, and turn the spaces into hyphens, and everything else has to match exactly.

message 35: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Thanks Emily!

message 36: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 428 comments What if the bookshelf matches except for the fact that it's in a different language? Septiembre-2019 instead of September-2019

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Karissa wrote: "What if the bookshelf matches except for the fact that it's in a different language? Septiembre-2019 instead of September-2019"

Yep, that totally works.

message 38: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments That just makes things so much easier!

message 39: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Question: Can books finished during quest #1 that aren't used, be used in the next quest? (We'll just keep them in our bags of items till we need them)

message 40: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I answered in your team thread but for the sake of the other teams:

Books finished in quest 1 can be used for later quests, assuming they fit one of the later prompts. Just make note of them somewhere.

message 41: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Thanks :)

message 42: by Cali (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments What do we do once we've finished the quest? Team Brownie has 15 shelves completed now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 43: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1630 comments One member of our team was wondering: "Does anyone know the rule about Graphic Novels? Mod Sophie has Nimona as a 5 star fav"

message 44: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Graphic novels work as long as they meet the page requirement.

message 45: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1630 comments Thanks!

message 46: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Hey mods, team pie finished quest #1. Can you confirm quest #2 is the same for all teams (and is this the best place to contact you with this or? First time as co-teamleader)

message 47: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I’ve been monitoring team threads so I will see your progress if you just post there :)

message 48: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments I’m very curious what the third quest is going to be 😄

message 49: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 941 comments Hey mods, I noticed Team Pie got their 3rd quest, can Team Cake also get ours please? We're excited to see what it entails!

message 50: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I'm working on updating quests now. I had to break for dinner :)

« previous 1