Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Team Challenge Sign-up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Our next read-a-thon of the year starts on Saturday, September 7th and has a team challenge!

This read-a-thon we are incorporating some of your feedback. We will have smaller teams, and we will try to organize teams by time zone to facilitate better group coordination.

Info about the game will be posted in the next day or so.

For those of you who have done a read-a-thon for the this group in the past, this should look familiar. If you're new to this, allow us to explain!

What do I have to do to participate?
If you are interested in participating and can commit to actively engaging in the read-a-thon, then please sign up in the comments below. We have chosen the categories so this group activity is fair and fun for readers of all speeds.

Please only sign up if you can commit to checking in with your team (on Goodreads) at least 4 times during the time from September 7-15.

How many teams will there be?
We will be targeting smaller group size this read-a-thon, so the number of teams will depend on how many of you sign up.

For general information about the read-a-thon, visit the announcement post.

QUESTIONNAIRE (This helps us sort teams!)
1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week?
3. Which time zone do you live in?
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.)

Note: Teams will be assigned on Friday, September 6 in order to allow time to strategize and discuss the event more. You can still sign up after that date.

message 2: by MKay (new)

MKay | 55 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? slow
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1-2
3. Which time zone do you live in? CST
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No, work will get in the way of that

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 928 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? slow
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1 or 2
3. Which time zone do you live in? Pacific
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? yep
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) no

message 4: by Karissa (new)

Karissa | 440 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2, but my goal is 9 for the read-a-thon!
3. Which time zone do you live in? EST
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) Maybe a co-team leader as I have events to attend on both the 7th and 8th. The rest of the read-a-thon I will be available.

message 5: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 787 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow

0-1

CET (Europe)

4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?
Yes, I'll do my best

5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.)
No, sorry

message 6: by Kathy Jo (last edited Sep 04, 2019 09:36AM) (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 262 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium

3. Which time zone do you live in? Central

5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) I would rather not, but can if needed.

message 7: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 6 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Fast
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? Between 4-9
3. Which time zone do you live in? Central
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No...

message 8: by Trish (last edited Sep 05, 2019 12:10AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 468 comments QUESTIONNAIRE (This helps us sort teams!)
Medium to fast.

Four to six, depending on length

London

Saturday could be tricky, but the rest of the time, yes.

No. This would be my first read-a-thon, so I'm not sure how they work.

message 9: by Khristina (last edited Sep 04, 2019 10:08AM) (new)

Khristina (readingreckless) | 33 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
fast
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 8-9
3. Which time zone do you live in? EST
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? yup
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No thank you.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 440 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
medium
around 2, I'm on vacation the entire week though so I will probably (hopefully) get more reading in.
EST
yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) If need be, I'm tailgating on Sunday so I won't really be available too much that day, but I'm completely free the rest of the week.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (heirloomroses) | 211 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Slow. I did a test once and it was 174 words a minute.
3. Which time zone do you live in? USA, Central Standard Time
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No. My schedule tends to be all over the place.

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7207 comments Mod
- I'd say medium-ish.

- 1-2 but I currently have 5 books going at once so.... probably more.

- Central USA

- Absolutely

- I can if needed. I can definitely make the spreadsheets!

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? between 1-7ish
3. Which time zone do you live in? Mountain
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No but I don't mind helping the leader

message 14: by Devin (new)

Devin | 202 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 3-4 (I am trying to read a book a day for September though)
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dg_reads) | 327 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Fast
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? Probably 4 to actually finish (plus parts of several more)
3. Which time zone do you live in? PST
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No

message 16: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 401 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow to medium

two to three

EST

Yes

Happy to help but not sure I can commit to the time needed for single team leader

Really enjoyed the last one and happy to join again!

message 17: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2-3
3. Which time zone do you live in? CET

message 18: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium
2-3
GMT +2 (Europe)
Yes
No, sorry

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 547 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
right now I would say slow to medium

2 to 3

Mountain Daylight Time (GMT-6)

Yes I can. Work is busy right now so I wold be checking in more in the evenings than the day.

No thank you.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2672 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
About 100 pages per day during the week and more on weekends, so I'd say medium?

2-4, depending how the size of the book

EST

At least once per day

No

message 21: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 840 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
fast, but without tons of time to commit

3ish, maybe more for a readathon

PST

Yes, probably daily

Not this time, sorry

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2216 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-3

US - Central time

Yes

No

message 23: by Cali (last edited Sep 05, 2019 05:01AM) (new)

Cali (calim) | 79 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow to Medium

1-2

Eastern

Yes

Yes if it's clear what I need to do. I've never participated in a read-a-thon before.

edit to add - everyone else's comments are making me a bit nervous about being a team leader. I'm not sure the time commitment, but I can sign on 2-3 times per day.

message 24: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 954 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium? I never know how to answer this one.

2 - 3, one audio, but I read a lot more during read-a-thons (more like 8-10)

Pacific

Yes

I'm seeing a lot of no's here, so sure. I prefer not to if it seems like a race like June's did...that stressed me out being team leader.

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill | 572 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium but for some reason during read-a-thons I seem to pick up the speed.
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? No thank you

message 26: by Alaina (new)

Alaina Rodriguez 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

1-3

Mountain Time

Yes

No thank you

message 27: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium??
2 - 3
AEST (Australia)
Yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group?
Possibly as a co-leader, if needed - this is only my second read-a-thon, so I'm not sure I have a handle on how things work yet!

message 28: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1540 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? With this group I'd have to classify myself as slow to medium
3. Which time zone do you live in? Eastern
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No unfortunately I don't have that kind of time during the week.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 797 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Sloooow
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes. I'll be out of town a few of the days (8- 10) but will check in when possible
No, particularly since I'll be out of town a few days

message 30: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium to fast, depending on the book. More medium lately.
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? I average 2 1/2 books per week
3. Which time zone do you live in? Eastern (EST)
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? At least a few times, if not daily
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) Not for this readathon

message 31: by Ira (last edited Sep 04, 2019 11:16PM) (new)

Ira | 284 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?Medium
3. Which time zone do you live in? CET. I live in Norway

message 32: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

1-2

CET (Europe)

Yes

No I would rather not

message 33: by Mini (new)

Mini (mini_sagas) | 66 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium
0-3
BST/GMT+1
Yes
No, thank you.

message 34: by Edie (new)

Edie | 835 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? likely to be slow this time
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2
3. Which time zone do you live in? CDT
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Will do my best. Having surgery on Monday but didn't want to miss the fun. There are likely to be several days I won't be available to participate.
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? Not this time.

message 35: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed?
Medium.

1-2, depending on the book.

CLT (Chile Standard Time) UTC/GMT - 4 hours

Yes

No, thank you.

message 36: by Hannah (last edited Sep 05, 2019 07:19AM) (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium.

1 - 2 books, although I've been in a reading slump lately.

CET / Europe, Germany.

Yes.

Rather not, since I'm not sure how busy work will keep me during the week.

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow

1 to 2

Eastern- USA

Yes- everyday, at least!

No, thank you

message 38: by Storm (new)

Storm 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
fast
completely depends on the week
central
yes
Not this time

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments It’s Friday here in Australia...!! Ready to read for the read-a-thon - except for having to do some work as well :-(

message 40: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1303 comments Mod
medium
I'm probably going to read 3 books next week
CST
Oh I'm on GR at least once a day ;)
it's a no from me dawg

message 41: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1729 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-3

BST

Yes

I'm worried that we won't have any team leaders... I'd rather not as when I co-lead most the activity happened when I wasn't around and I don't think I'd be that great leading a US based team! But I can help out daytime BST a bit...

message 42: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Yeah I´m a bit worried about that too. I guess I could jump into it and be a team leader (arrghhh!), assuming Emily makes the spreadsheet (?)
I´m based in Europe (Denmark GMT +2), if the groups are arranged by time zone.

message 43: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 375 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

3-4 but I try to read a lot more during read-a-thons

BST

Yes

No

message 44: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7207 comments Mod
Johanne, you probably shouldn't take on being a mod of this AND turf wars! Hopefully they will have plenty of people who are willing to share the responsibilities.

message 45: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Emily, maybe it's a language thing, but what is this turf wars you speak of? I just said I could be a team leader for a read-a-thon team.

message 46: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments ahh, are you referring to the whole Greenland affair thing? Because then I get it now...

message 47: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments Kathryn wrote: "It’s Friday here in Australia...!! Ready to read for the read-a-thon - except for having to do some work as well :-("

I realised late last night I got the date wrong for the read-a-thon (another group I'm in starts read-a-thons on Fridays, so I think I was getting mixed up), but it is NOW the morning of Saturday the 7th!! And no work to go to - although there are still some errands to run and a wedding to go to this afternoon :-/

message 48: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments Start reading what you feel like Kathryn, readathon is here!

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments Johanne wrote: "Start reading what you feel like Kathryn, readathon is here!"

I will! Woohoo!

As for the turf wars thing - I'm not sure, but I see Emily is in another group that has a game that I think is called turf wars and perhaps she might have thought you were in that group as well, and offering to be in charge of a team for it? If you aren't, maybe there's another Johanne she was mixing you up with...

message 50: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1614 comments yeah that's what I thought at first. Johanne/ Joanne/ Joanna are really common. She'll tell us when she sees this :) I'm off to bed and then it's soon readathon for me as well.

« previous 1