Start by marking “That's Not What Happened” as Want to Read:
That's Not What Happened

That's Not What Happened

It's been three years since the Virgil County High School Massacre. Three years since my best friend, Sarah, was killed in a bathroom stall during the mass shooting. Everyone knows Sarah's story--that she died proclaiming her faith.

But it's not true.

I know because I was with her when she died. I didn't say anything then, and people got hurt because of it. Now Sarah's par
Published August 28th 2018 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about That's Not What Happened, please sign up.
Erica Actually, there was a living witness to Rachel's death. I believe it's likely she did die professing her faith. But either way, the most important…moreActually, there was a living witness to Rachel's death. I believe it's likely she did die professing her faith. But either way, the most important thing is how Cassie and Rachel lived. They said "yes" through their actions. https://www.google.com/amp/s/attackth...

jv poore
Huge thanks to the student that added this on Goodreads!

Having donated other Keplinger books to their classroom library, I was particularly excited to see this on a To-Read shelf, so I quickly ordered a copy to donate. When it arrived, I realized I really needed to read it. Right now, before it even made it to the classroom. And it was amazing and awe-inspiring and thought-provoking and I cannot wait to hear students' thoughts.
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok

“Sometimes it’s okay to believe things that aren’t true. Sometimes it’s necessary.”

I have been a Kody Keplinger fan since The DUFF, which still finds its way into my re-read rotation. Ms. Keplinger’s characters, banter, intelligence, and strong messages that tie right into current events and moods make her one of my favorite voices. But That’s Not What Happened did not work for me.

Three years ago, 6 teenagers survived a school shooting at Virgil County High School. This is their story. Their tru
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I didn't even KNOW Kody Keplinger had a new book releasing holy shit
Kelly
Inspired by the story of Cassie Bernall after Columbine, Keplinger's book is a story about who controls the narrative in the aftermath of tragedy. It's a searing exploration of voice: who has it and who has it taken from them.

Lee -- who is asexual -- begins the story three years after a surviving a school shooting. It's just her and five others, though only four others are still around. One of them, Kellie, left town before the school reopened following the tragedy. Kellie, however, will end th
Luu
TÁTO KNIHA NIE JE NIČ Z TOHO, ČO SA VÁM ANOTÁCIA SNAŽÍ NAKECAŤ.
Masaker na strednej škole, tajomstvo za smrťou najlepšej kamarátky, odhaľovanie minulosti, ktorá môže všetko zmeniť, atď atď atď... NIE. Celú americkú anotáciu môžete rovno chytiť a zahodiť do koša, lebo ňou chce vydavateľ akurát tak zahrať na city publiku, aby si kúpili knihu o nejakej aktuálnej a tragickej téme s nádychom záhady a množstva emotívnych scén. Nie. Nie. NIE.

Anotácia v mojom prevedení:
Ubehli tri roky od streľby na mies
Ryan Buckby
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
actual rating: 3.5/5 stars

This book was very heavy and is very relevant to whats happening this days in America which is sad and i have a feeling more books like this will be coming up more.

Plot: this book follows six teenagers who all survived a school shooting that happened three years prior to this book starting. We follow the lives of Leanne *lee*, Ashley, Eden, Miles, Denny and Kellie as they try continue their lives after all living through this terrible incident. So books likes this
Fafa's Book Corner
Mini review:

DNF

Trigger Warning: Trauma from school shooting. Up till the point I read.

I am a huge fan of Kody Keplinger! When I heard about this book I was so psyched. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it.

Upon starting the book I realized that the story wasn't for me. I did some skimming and couldn't connect to any off the characters. After that I lost interest in the book.

I do still recommend. I think this book is really important. Just wasn't for me.
ambsreads
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
this really lacked depth honestly

review to come
Dahlia
I liked the approach of this a lot - viewing a school shooting years later to pull apart the truths of it - and the fact that there was this whole friend group created with a unique bond as a result. It was definitely a fast read, too. For me, what didn't work quite as well, which I wanna discuss not to criticize the book (which I quite liked, by the way) but because I think it's an interesting discussion, is the span of time between Sarah's death and the book shopping that's the catalyst for Le ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it

First, before I get into my thoughts on such an intense and powerful read, I have to put a disclaimer out there. As stated, this book is an intense and difficult read containing many triggers that necessitate a trigger warning. Some of these warnings are around topics such as: PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, and Gun Violence. This list of warnings are just a brief list of some of the topics involved in this novel and if you are concerned with reading this book, I sugg
Tati
Eh...

This was an okay read. Yes, yes, call me cold-hearted for not enjoying a book about the aftermath of a school shooting. The thing is, while the situation itself is very traumatic, the writing didn't make me care about the characters, or what happened to them. To be honest, not even the mistery around the shooter's identity gripped me. Also, I was led to believe the secret that Lee was going to reveal would be much bigger.
Kate (beautifulbookland)
What a book.

This is one of those books that I’m going to shove in every single person’s face because YOU HAVE TO READ IT. It’s a book that, like I Am Thunder, is so relevant to today’s world that everybody should read it. It’s completely heartbreaking, and I’m not lying when I say that I had a box tissues next to me, but I absolutely loved it.

What it’s About

Three years ago, Lee’s best friend, Sarah, was killed in the Virgil County High School mass shooting. Three years since Sarah died proclaim
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, physical-2018
Ho

Lee

Chit

I need a moment to let that all sink in. Plus, a warm blanket, a big plate of comfort food, a hug, and a kitty to purr for me.

Sweet Christmas that was intense, powerful, and necessary.

---------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

This is one of those books that while it is very difficult to get through because of the topic, it is still needed and necessary.

Short recap: Lee and five other students survived a horrific school massacre. Every year on the an
Jessica
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting look at the truth behind a school shooting. Not at the shooter, whose name is never printed and whose motivations are never listed- because it's not about him. (I really liked that.) Instead, this is about the truth of the survivors: how they're doing months/years later. What they were doing at the time of the shooting. And how the truth about the victims gets skewed to fit the hero narrative. Some of the kids who died were jerks. One of the teachers was really great, but told t ...more
Lily Humphrey
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"That's not what Happened" by: Kody Keplinger is about a Junior named Leanne at Virgil County High School. Virgil County High School is best known for the mass shooting that happened there 3 years ago, where Leanne's best friend Sarah was shot and murdered in the bathroom of the school. Leanne was with her when it happened, she is one of the 6 survivors left that saw what happened. She saw what happened to Sarah, and it's haunted her for 3 years, she can't ever stop thinking about it no matter h ...more
BookishGeek
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Do you remember the story of Cassie Bernall? I bet you do - she is the girl of "she said yes" fame, who was gunned down during the Columbine shooting but is more well-known for professing her devotion to God right before her death. While Columbine is now almost 20 years behind us, school shootings are more prevalent than ever, and the stakes continue to climb as gun control legislature is fought over tooth and nail by the US government.

Keplinger's book is quite timely, right in the face of all t
Clau
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
That's Not What Happened es un libro acerca de los sobrevivientes de un tiroteo ocurrido en una escuela pública, en una pequeña localidad rural. A pesar de que han pasado 3 años desde la masacre, los 6 sobrevivientes siguen sufriendo y luchando por superar lo ocurrido.
Nunca había leído un libro que se centrara en este tipo de episodios violentos, que suelen suceder en Estados Unidos al menos tres veces al año. Y la verdad es que me gustó la forma en que la autora maneja lo sucedido. Sin embargo,
Alison
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
There seem to be quite a few books about school shootings at the moment but this is probably the first one I've been tempted to read. It's such a difficult topic and I really didn't want to read a book that was going to deal with such a heavy or emotionally charged subject. This however appealed to me firstly because of the author but mostly because this book focuses on the survivors and how they're coping (or not) three years down the line.

Mass shootings and gun control are very topical at the
Zoe
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I could not put this book down. Going to be one of those books published at the right time, what with the school shootings in America. This book takes a look at the survivor stories and what they have to go through, even 3 years later. A fab read!
Shannon Dyer
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Round up to 4.5 stars. Such an intense and insightful read!
Sadie
I liked this one for many reasons: First and foremost because of its main topic - the aftermath of a school shooting (more on that in the last paragraph) -, but also because of other issues tackled plus the execution of it all.

The story is told by Lee, a girl who survived a school shooting and now tries to do (her kind of) justice by helping the truth surrounding the event and what happened afterwards come to light (the blurb gives more info, basically one of the victims got wrongfully martyred
Gary Anderson
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sadly, there is now a YA genre of school shooting books. Kody Keplinger’s That’s Not What Happened is an important addition to that tragic collection. Lee Bauer, Keplinger’s narrator, is a survivor who held the hand of her best friend Sarah as she was shot to death in a school bathroom. The shooter killed eight others, but his motives are consciously downplayed in That’s Not What Happened. The focus instead is on what happens to the truth after the shooting. Sarah’s parents are publishing a book ...more
Jaelithe
I received an ARC of this at BookCon. I almost didn't read it, because the subject felt so heavy, and not like my normal taste in books. But I like Kody Keplinger, and figured I'd give it a try.

1) It's not even really about "a school shooting." It's about what happens to a group of people, how they all react, when they've been directly or indirectly affected by a tragedy. The tragedy happens to be a school shooting, which looks a little bit like ones we've all heard about, but comes from real re
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
Complicated feelings. I didn't realize this was a Cassie Bernall of Columbine retelling & that felt sort of unoriginal. Also, I didn't like the characters or the way this book felt almost scared to say anything at all. I'd probably give it 2.5 stars if I'm being honest.
Paula  Phillips
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A trope that I like to read about is school shootings, being in New Zealand we don't experience it, and I'm sure if I had ever actually experienced one I wouldn't like reading about them as much. In Kody Keplinger's latest read, we experience the aftermath of the shooting. The book is set three years later, with the last of the survivors graduating. The book is told mainly from Lee's perspective as she has an idea sparked that the truth needs to be revealed as after their class - the shooting wi ...more
Bookphile
This is, hands down, one of the best books I've read in some time.

"It's a good story. And you know what people like way more than the truth? A good story."

I don't usually quote books in my reviews, but when I reached that one, it was such a perfect summation of the book that I knew I would have to use it. It encapsulates everything Keplinger is trying to get across with this novel. Yes, this is about the aftermath of a school shooting, but in many ways this book isn't even about school shootings
Dorathy Dotson
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good, and really made me think. Though the book ended up seeming a little prejudiced towards religious people, the storyline and characters were engaging, and the pacing was done well, keeping a lot of the mystery until it was necessary for another plot twist. Deals very well with PTSD. I recommend it.
Suziey
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Lee has put together her thoughts, notes, and letters by her and other survivors of a school shooting to fix the media's (and others') narrative of the event.

This is an interesting book. It's been a few years since the shooting and the survivors have banded together, united by the same trauma. Well, all but one. Kellie. Kellie and her family were chased out of town when everyone took her truth for a lie.

I read this book because the synopsis reminded me of Cassie Bernall and Valeen Schnurr. After
Moni Lareva
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Se me ha hecho un poco pesado que se repitiera tantísimo el tiroteo desde los distintos puntos de vista.
No ha conseguido emocionarme ni he conectado con los personajes. Una vez llegué como a la mitad del libro tan solo tenía ganas de acabarlo.
  • Run, Riot
  • The Chaos of Now
  • Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee
  • Blink
  • I Am Out With Lanterns
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • What You Left Me
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • The Universe Is Expanding and So Am I (Virginia Shreves #2)
  • Positively Beautiful
  • For This Life Only
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • Small Spaces
  • The Resolutions
I'm a 19-year-old college student and young adult author. My first book, THE DUFF, debuted on September 7, 2010. I write books for teenagers and strive to be honest and true-to-life. For more info, check out my website.