Brooke — brooklynnnnereads's Reviews > That's Not What Happened

That's Not What Happened by Kody Keplinger

First, before I get into my thoughts on such an intense and powerful read, I have to put a disclaimer out there. As stated, this book is an intense and difficult read containing many triggers that necessitate a trigger warning. Some of these warnings are around topics such as: PTSD, Depression, Anxiety, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, and Gun Violence. This list of warnings are just a brief list of some of the topics involved in this novel and if you are concerned with reading this book, I suggest to read a few different reviews and do your research prior to reading. It's better to be safe than sorry so if you are worried about your reaction to this book: do your research first.

With that disclaimer aside, I have to say that although this was an extremely difficult story, it was very powerful and important. It exposes a topic and situation that unfortunately is becoming more and more frequent in the world that we live in. It's a fictional story that is terrifyingly realistic.

In regards to this novel, and the topic in general, I think many people will have varying opinions. There are multiple discussions that can be created from a story like this whether it be surrounding gun violence and gun laws or the discussion surrounding the motivation/factors of that individual who committed this violence. It's a very, in-depth and controversial topic that many people have different opinions on.

Overall, I think it's an extremely important read that is also very thought provoking. It's painfully emotional and very powerful but at its core it's just so important because these stories need to be told in the hopes that someday there will be a change.

***Thank you to Scholastic Canada for sending me an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That's Not What Happened.

August 31, 2018 – Started Reading