Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GMGR CHALLENGES > GMGR 2019 A to Z Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 140 comments Mod
The goal of this challenge is to read 26 middle-grade books during 2019, one for each letter of the alphabet. Some letters are trickier than others! If you need inspiration, scroll through this thread (participants will be updating their lists throughout the year), scan past years' lists, or scroll through these middle-grade alphabet lists.

Steps:

1. Create a comment on this thread.
2. Copy, paste, and edit the alphabet set in the first post below.
3. Update your comment throughout the year, adding the books you finish during 2019.

Guidelines:

1. Titles need to match a letter of the alphabet. Use the "add book/author" button to create links to the books here on Goodreads.
2. Drop "A," "An," and "The" from titles. For example, A Single Shard would be listed for S, and The Field Guide would be listed for F.
3. It's okay to add multiple titles under each letter, but there's no extra credit.
4. Only list middle-grade titles. No picture books, YA, or adult books about kids.
5. You can add a rating and review link. For example ***** My review is here.
6. For an added challenge, see if you can read your books in alphabetical order.
7. Have fun!

message 2: by C.J. (new)

Copy, paste, and edit this for your own list. You will then be able to search the thread for your name to find your list quickly.

[Your name here] 2019 A to Z List:
A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
H:
I:
J:
K:
L:
M:
N:
O:
P:
Q:
R:
S:
T:
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 3: by C.J. (last edited Aug 31, 2019 10:37AM) (new)

Middlegrade is where I do most of my reading, with definite fantasy/mystery/adventure leanings. Once again this year, my goal is to get through the alphabet twice!

CJ's 2019 A to Z List:

A: Anya's Ghost Vera Brosgol
Awkward Svetlana Chmakova
Almost Super Marion Jensen
Al Capone Shines My Shoes Gennifer Choldenko
The Adventurers Guild Zack Loran Clark
Aru Shah and the End of Time Roshani Chokshi
Ambush Obert Skye
B: The Boy and the Beast Mamoru Hosoda
Brave Svetlana Chmakova
C: Charlie Bone and the Time Twister Jenny Nimmo
Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy Jenny Nimmo
Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors Jenny Nimmo
Charlie Bone and the Hidden King Jenny Nimmo
Charlie Bone and the Beast Jenny Nimmo
Charlie Bone and the Shadow Jenny Nimmo
The Creeping Shadow Jonathan Stroud
Charlie Bone And The Red Knight Jenny Nimmo
Crush Svetlana Chmakova
The Crossover Kwame Alexander
The Cloud Searchers Kazu Kibuishi
Chasing Helicity Ginger Zee
Choke Obert Skye
The Coming of the Bear Lensey Namioka
D: Dealing with Dragons Patricia C. Wrede
Dragonsong Anne McCaffrey
The Door to the Lost Jaleigh Johnson
Danger! Tiger Crossing Lin Oliver
Death and Douglas J.W. Ocker
The Dark Lady Irene Adler
Den of the White Fox Lensey Namioka
E: The Empty Grave Jonathan Stroud
Estranged Ethan M. Aldridge
The Mystery Boxes Kazu Kibuishi
F: Fish in a Tree Lynda Mullaly Hunt
Flush Carl Hiaasen
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler E.L. Konigsburg
Fish Gregory Mone
G: Giant Pumpkin Suite Melanie Heuiser Hill
The Graveyard Book, Volume 1 Neil Gaiman
Ghosts Raina Telgemeier
Ghost Jason Reynolds
H: Hundred Percent Karen Romano Young
Hattie on Her Way Clara Gillow Clark
I: It's Raining Pigs and Noodles Jack Prelutsky
The Incredible Magic of Being Kathryn Erskine
In Real Life Cory Doctorow
The Invention of Hugo Cabret Brian Selznick
Island of Ogres Lensey Namioka
The Isle of the Lost Melissa de la Cruz
J: Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World Mildred Pitts Walter
Jinx's Magic Sage Blackwood
Jinx's Fire Sage Blackwood
K: Kenny & the Dragon Tony DiTerlizzi
Kristy's Great Idea Raina Telgemeier
Knights of the Kitchen Table Jon Scieszka
L: Legends of Zita the Spacegirl Ben Hatke
A Likely Place Paula Fox
The Legend of Sam Miracle N.D. Wilson
The Last Council Kazu Kibuishi
Lu Jason Reynolds
M: Midnight for Charlie Bone Jenny Nimmo
Moo Sharon Creech
The Minstrel in the Tower Gloria Skurzynski
My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights Brooks Benjamin
Mighty Jack Ben Hatke
Mighty Jack and the Goblin King Ben Hatke
Marco Impossible Hannah Moskowitz
Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman? Eleanor Updale
Morning Girl Michael Dorris
Mascot Antony John
The Maze of Bones Rick Riordan
The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly Rebecca Ansari
N: The Night Gardener Jonathan Auxier
New Kid Jerry Craft
The Not-So-Jolly Roger Jon Scieszka
O: Olive and the Backstage Ghost Michelle Schusterman
The Other Boy M.G. Hennessey
The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away Ronald L. Smith
Out of My Mind Sharon M. Draper
P: Pillage Obert Skye
The Prince and the Dressmaker Jen Wang
Patina Jason Reynolds
Punished! David Lubar
Q: Queen of the Bee Tonya Duncan Ellis
Queen Clarion's Secret Kimberly Morris
Quest for the Keys Stacia Deutsch
R: The Return of Zita the Spacegirl Ben Hatke
The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise Dan Gemeinhart
S: Serafina's Promise Ann E. Burg
The Stonekeeper Kazu Kibuishi
The Stonekeeper's Curse Kazu Kibuishi
Smile Raina Telgemeier
The Search for WondLa Tony DiTerlizzi
The Secret of Nightingale Wood Lucy Strange
Sunny Jason Reynolds
Sunny Side Up Jennifer L. Holm
Swing it, Sunny Jennifer L. Holm
Spy School Stuart Gibbs
The Soprano's Last Song Irene Adler
Song for a Whale Lynne Kelly
T: Takedown Laura Shovan
Touching Spirit Bear Ben Mikaelsen
This Is Not a Werewolf Story Sandra Evans
U: Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere Julie T. Lamana
An Unexpected Adventure Kandi J. Wyatt
V: The Valley of the Broken Cherry Trees Lensey Namioka
Village of the Vampire Cat Lensey Namioka
The Voyage to Magical North Claire Fayers
W: Wish Barbara O'Connor
The Wingsnatchers Sarah Jean Horwitz
Wonderstruck Brian Selznick
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase Joan Aiken
The Wild Robot Peter Brown
The Wooden Prince John Claude Bemis
X: The X'ed-out X-ray Ron Roy
Xander and the Dream Thief Margaret Dilloway
Y: You Go First Erin Entrada Kelly
Yang the Third and Her Impossible Family Lensey Namioka
Z: Zita the Spacegirl Ben Hatke
Zepha The Monster Squid Adam Blade

Chronological Order:

Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1) by Jenny Nimmo Kenny & the Dragon by Tony DiTerlizzi Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #1) by Ben Hatke Charlie Bone and the Time Twister by Jenny Nimmo Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy (The Children of the Red King, #3) by Jenny Nimmo Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4) by Jenny Nimmo Moo by Sharon Creech You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly The Valley of the Broken Cherry Trees (Zenta and Matsuzo Mystery #3) by Lensey Namioka The Minstrel in the Tower by Gloria Skurzynski My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights by Brooks Benjamin Pillage (Pillage, #1) by Obert Skye Kristy's Great Idea (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels #1) by Raina Telgemeier Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1) by Patricia C. Wrede The Night Gardener by Jonathan Auxier It's Raining Pigs and Noodles by Jack Prelutsky Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt The Incredible Magic of Being by Kathryn Erskine Giant Pumpkin Suite by Melanie Heuiser Hill Charlie Bone and the Hidden King (The Children of the Red King, #5) by Jenny Nimmo Dragonsong (Pern Harper Hall, #1) by Anne McCaffrey Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2) by Ben Hatke The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3) by Ben Hatke Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6) by Jenny Nimmo Hundred Percent by Karen Romano Young Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1) by Ben Hatke Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2) by Ben Hatke Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7) by Jenny Nimmo The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co., #4) by Jonathan Stroud Serafina's Promise by Ann E. Burg The Boy and the Beast (light novel) by Mamoru Hosoda Village of the Vampire Cat (Zenta and Matsuzo Mystery #4) by Lensey Namioka A Likely Place by Paula Fox Takedown by Laura Shovan Charlie Bone And The Red Knight (Children Of The Red King, #8) by Jenny Nimmo Space Boy Volume 1 (Space Boy, #1) by Stephen McCranie Space Boy Volume 2 (Space Boy, #2) by Stephen McCranie Queen of the Bee (Sophie Washington) by Tonya Duncan Ellis New Kid by Jerry Craft Flush by Carl Hiaasen The Empty Grave (Lockwood & Co., #5) by Jonathan Stroud The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang Awkward (Berrybrook Middle School, #1) by Svetlana Chmakova Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2) by Svetlana Chmakova Crush (Berrybrook Middle School, #3) by Svetlana Chmakova Olive and the Backstage Ghost by Michelle Schusterman Marco Impossible by Hannah Moskowitz Space Boy Volume 3 (Space Boy, #3) by Stephen McCranie Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere by Julie T. Lamana The Graveyard Book, Volume 1 by Neil Gaiman From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg In Real Life by Cory Doctorow The Crossover by Kwame Alexander The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick Montmorency Thief, Liar, Gentleman? (Montmorency, #1) by Eleanor Updale The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) by Kazu Kibuishi Wish by Barbara O'Connor The Wingsnatchers (Carmer and Grit, #1) by Sarah Jean Horwitz Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) by Kazu Kibuishi Smile by Raina Telgemeier Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates, #1) by Claire Fayers The Legend of Sam Miracle (Outlaws of Time #1) by N.D. Wilson The Search for WondLa (The Search for WondLa, #1) by Tony DiTerlizzi The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) by Kazu Kibuishi Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1) by Ben Mikaelsen The Secret of Nightingale Wood by Lucy Strange Chasing Helicity (Chasing Helicity, #1) by Ginger Zee The Last Council (Amulet, #4) by Kazu Kibuishi An Unexpected Adventure (Myth Coast Adventures #1) by Kandi J. Wyatt Fish by Gregory Mone Ghost (Track, #1) by Jason Reynolds The Door to the Lost by Jaleigh Johnson The X'ed-out X-ray (A to Z Mysteries, #24) by Ron Roy Patina (Track, #2) by Jason Reynolds Zepha The Monster Squid (Beast Quest, #7) by Adam Blade Almost Super (Almost Super, #1) by Marion Jensen Sunny (Track, #3) by Jason Reynolds Morning Girl by Michael Dorris Queen Clarion's Secret (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #16) by Kimberly Morris Quest for the Keys (LEGO Elves Chapter Book) by Stacia Deutsch Lu (Track, #4) by Jason Reynolds Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World by Mildred Pitts Walter Sunny Side Up (Sunny, #1) by Jennifer L. Holm Swing it, Sunny by Jennifer L. Holm Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2) by Gennifer Choldenko The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) by Joan Aiken Mascot by Antony John Spy School (Spy School #1) by Stuart Gibbs Danger! Tiger Crossing (Fantastic Frame, #1) by Lin Oliver The Maze of Bones (The 39 Clues, #1) by Rick Riordan Hattie on Her Way by Clara Gillow Clark This Is Not a Werewolf Story by Sandra Evans Yang the Third and Her Impossible Family by Lensey Namioka Punished! by David Lubar Choke (Pillage, #2) by Obert Skye The Missing Piece of Charlie O'Reilly by Rebecca Ansari The Adventurers Guild (The Adventurers Guild #1) by Zack Loran Clark Death and Douglas by J.W. Ocker Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1) by Jon Scieszka The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio, #2) by Jon Scieszka Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1) by Roshani Chokshi Ambush (Pillage, #3) by Obert Skye The Wild Robot (The Wild Robot, #1) by Peter Brown Space Boy Volume 4 (Space Boy, #4) by Stephen McCranie Island of Ogres (Zenta and Matsuzo Mystery #5) by Lensey Namioka The Dark Lady (Sherlock, Lupin, and Me #1) by Irene Adler The Other Boy by M.G. Hennessey The Isle of the Lost (Descendants, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz The Soprano's Last Song by Irene Adler Jinx's Magic (Jinx #2) by Sage Blackwood The Coming of the Bear (Zenta and Matsuzo Mystery #6) by Lensey Namioka The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away by Ronald L. Smith Jinx's Fire (Jinx #3) by Sage Blackwood Den of the White Fox by Lensey Namioka Estranged (Estranged, #1) by Ethan M. Aldridge The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart The Mystery Boxes (Explorer, #1) by Kazu Kibuishi Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1) by John Claude Bemis Song for a Whale by Lynne Kelly Xander and the Dream Thief (Momotaro, #2) by Margaret Dilloway

**SEPTEMBER 1 - I've run out of characters. More books in another comment. ~ CJ

message 4: by Jaylyn (last edited Dec 27, 2019 12:04PM) (new)

Jaylyn (jaylynya101) jaylyn's 2019 A to Z List: I read more books than this this year but these are just all of my middle-grade books.

A:
B: ben and me
bud not buddy
the babysitter's club
C: crush
D: drama
E: echo's sister
F: fish in a tree.
G: ghost
H: Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone
I:
J:
K: Kristy's great idea
L;
M: Middle school is worse than meatloaf
Mustaches for maddie
the miscalculations of lighting girl
meet molly
N: number the stars
O: operation redwood
P: peak
Q:
R: The Remarkable Journey of Charlie Price.
real friends
S: The Secret fire
save me a seat
smile
T: tom sawyer
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 5: by Camille (last edited Dec 05, 2019 12:38AM) (new)

Camille Caliman (camillecalimanauthor) | 17 comments *crackles knuckles and rolls neck* Let's do this. Haha, no. But in all seriousness, I hope I'll do better this year. :) C.J. your preferences somewhat mirror mine, and I only read middle grade too. Although I don't know if I'll do the list once let alone twice.

Camille's 2019 A to Z List:
A:
B: Betwixters: Once Upon a Time by Laura C. Cantu (about three kids who trespassed in an infamous wood and get themselves looped into something they didn't know existed)
C: Crab Cake: Turning the Tide Together (about a crab who bakes cakes and brings his community together)
D:The Dark Lady by Irene Adler (the first story in the series about Sherlock, Lupin and her solving mysteries from Irene's point of view)
E: The Emperors Gem vol. 01 by Emiko Nakano (the first book in a series about a commoner girl who unknowingly takes care of an assassin who turns out to be the exact opposite and becomes his best-friend)
F:
G:
H:
I: It's Not Jack and the Beanstalk by Josh Funk (a jack and the beanstalk retelling that puts a modern spin on the classic)
J:
K: Kuro Hakushaku wa Hoshi o Mederu 1 by Hisamu Oto (the first book in series about a girl who gets picked up off the street by a count to become his bride, turns out he's a vampire hunter and she is a dhampir that can detect vampires)
L:
M:
N: The Neighbors (about a girl living in a apartment building with very fantastical neighbors)
O: Ocean Meets Sky (about a boy's trip on his self-made boat to a mystical land where ocean meets sky)
P:
Q:
R:
S: Saving Winslow by Sharon Creech (about a caring boy who takes care of a sickly donkey)
T: The Thorn Queen by Elise Holland (about a girl who has to find a cure for a sick prince to earn her freedom but finds so much more)
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 6: by Justine (last edited Dec 16, 2019 03:26AM) (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 319 comments Justine's 2019 A to Z List:

A:Amina's Voice 2.5* About a third-culture Pakistani-American girl living in both cultures.
B:The Bubble Boy 3* About a boy stuck in hospital because he has no immune system.
The Boy, The Bird and The Coffin Maker 4* Fairytale-like story about them.
The Book of Boy 4* A hunched boy follows a pilgrim in search of St Peter's relics.
The Bronze Bow 3.5* Set in the time of Jesus, an orphan boy living under Roman rule plans revenge for his parents.
C:Cluck Chook Farm 2.5* Compendium of short stories about life on a farm in Beatrix Potter style
The City of Secret Rivers 2.5* A girl sorts out a faulty plumbing in her flat and gets entangled in a magical world to rescue her kidnapped mother.
Coraline 3.5* A girl's new home has a mysterious door that leads to her alternate-universe home.
D:The Dog Who Saved the World 3* A canine-origin pandemic breaks out shortly after a talented programmer convinces Georgie to visit her house.
E:Esperanza Rising 3* A Mexican girl comes to terms with her loss of family fortune around the Great Depression
F:Flashback 3* Keeper of the Lost Cities 7th book. The Elfin world continue their battle with underground societies of Black Swan and Neverseen
Fuzzy Mud 4* Ecological disaster in a small town.
G:Gathering Blue 4* After her mother's death, an orphan girl moves to the village leaders' residence, tasked to mend and embroider the Singer's garment.
The Golden Butterfly 3* A girl goes in search of her Magician grandfather's secret legacy.
H:Hoot 2* About a new boy entangled with a new restaurant's building site.
The House with Chicken Legs 4* A girl rebels against her destiny to guide spirits to the afterworld.
I:Inside Out & Back Again 4* A Vietnamese girl resettles in America after the fall of Saigon
Island of the Blue Dolphins 3*A island girl left behind learns to survive on her own for several years.
Itch: The Explosive Adventures of an Element Hunter 1.5* In his quest for elements, a boy stumbles upon a dangerous rock.
The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day 2.5* A girl wakes up on her birthday home alone. All is not right in the universe.
J:The Jamie Drake Equation 4* The son of a famous astronaut struggles to make sense of the universe - both his own and in space.
K:Knights and Bikes 3* Two girls seek the cursed treasure, a legend of their island.
L:Love from Lexie 3.5* A girl tries to saves her local library from closing with her motley band members.
The Last Duchess 3.5* A ladies' maid rescues her mistress in a mystery story where Andromeda meets Welsh dragon.
The Line Tender 4* About a girl, grief and sharks.
Lalani of the Distant Sea 4* A girl runs away to find the paradise island in the north after she brings more woe to her already troubled village
M:Mold and the Poison Plot 3* About a boy with a nose like a dog going on a rescue mission.
The Matilda Effect 3* A girl sets out to right the wrong done to her grandmother-in-STEM
The Many Worlds of Albie Bright 4* A grieving boy travels to his parallel universe in search of his mother.
N:Night Shade 3* Book 5 of Star Friends series Four friends and four magical animals solve the case of a mysterious shade.
O: Olive's Ocean 3* A young middle grade book that delves into the psyche of a twelve-year-old- girl.
P:Pie in the Sky: 4* A Chinese boy migrates to Australia and his struggles with the new language.
Q:
R:Refugee 4* Three children from three different continents and generation make journeys to escape the current horrors in their lives.
S: Short 3* A small-built girl gets into the theatre world.
Smile 4* Memoir about being socially awkward with braces, friends and boys.
Sky Song 3* Adventure in a magical wintry setting, where two children thwart the Evil Queen's plan to rule the world.
Shadowsmith 2.5* Two children thwart the plans of evil warlocks when they summon beings from the other side.
Serafina and the Black Cloak 4* An outcast risks her life to save her new friend from a black cloak.
T:
U:Under the Egg 4* A girl tries to make sense of the cryptic last words of her grandfather.
V: Vote for Effie 3* Effie starts at a new school and runs for student council to bring equality to the school.
W: The Way Past Winter 3.5* A mash-up of The Snow Queen and The Piper Piper of Hamelin.
The Wolf Wilder 2.5* About a girl who resettles wolves back into the wilderness going on a rescue mission to save her mother.
WildSpark 4* About four girls recruited as apprentices to the Guild in the city of Medlock, where they will be trained to advance the cutting edge of personifates.
X:
Y:
Z:

message 7: by Jemima (last edited Dec 19, 2019 02:43PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1461 comments Mod
Let's hope I do better than last year!

Jemima's 2019 A to Z List:
A:
B:
C: Cosmic Colin: Hairy Hamster Horror 5*
D: The Dark Portal - Deptford Mice series; 3* very gory also Deeplight a new release - brilliant 5*; and Dragon's Gate much better second half than first :) 4*
E: the Earthkeepers good story really well told 5*
F:
G:
H:
I:
J:
K:
L: The Lie Tree 3* another very dark and horrific story. Is this really MG?
M:
N:
O:
P: A Pinch of Magic 4*
Q:
R: Rebel of the Sands it might be a bit old for MG, though.
S: Shirley Link & the Party Poopers Shirley Link 4; a bit disappointing, the rest of the series is brill. The secrets of the great fire tree Highly recommended! 5*
T:
U:
V:
W: Witchbone Book One : The Goblin's Winter 5* Best MG I've read since Lockwood & Co
X: Boy X 4* very exciting
Y:
Z:

message 8: by Kim (last edited Jan 02, 2019 04:13PM) (new)

Kim (flychickadee) | 2 comments Kim's 2019 A to Z List:

1/26

A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
H:
*I : If This Were a Story (1.1.19)
J:
K:
L:
M:
N:
O:
P:
Q:
R:
S:
T:
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 9: by Elza (last edited Jan 18, 2020 04:00PM) (new)

Elza Kinde (elzakinde) | 6 comments I generally enjoy standalone stories with magic, friendship, quirky houses, a bit of mystery, something tasty, the odd eccentric, and a fair amount of humor (bonus points if it's a bit dry).

Elza's 2019 A to Z List:
A: About Average by Andrew Clements
B: Brave by Svetlana Chmakova
C: Crush by Svetlana Chmakova
D: Dramaby Raina Telgemeier
E: Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Midnight Visitor by Donald J. Sobol
F: The Fairy's Mistake by Gail Carson Levine
G: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente
H: Henry and Ribsy by Beverly Cleary
I: Indigo by Alice Hoffman
J: Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy by Barbara Park
K: Kimchi & Calamari by Rose Kent
L: The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
M: Mary Anne Saves the Day by Raina Telgemeier
N:
O: Ogre Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
P: The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
Q: The Queen's Nose by Dick King-Smith
R: Revenge of the Dragon Lady by Kat McMullan
S: Smile by Raina Telgemeier
T: The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill
U:
V: The Voyage to Magical North by Claire Fayers
W: Who Could That Be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket
X:
Y:
Z: Zinnia and the Bees by Danielle Davis

message 10: by Janet (last edited Jan 01, 2019 12:27PM) (new)

Janet Macreery | 11 comments Thank you for this great idea!
Janet's 2019 A to Z List:
A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
H:
I:
J:
K:
L:
M:
N:
O:
P:
Q:
R:
S:
T:
U:
V:
W: The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
X:
Y:
Z:

message 11: by J.S. (last edited Dec 28, 2019 04:31AM) (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 175 comments I talked about this so much last year that my nine-year-old daughter, Kassidy, wants to do it with my this year. I'll be tracking both of them here.

Stephanie's 2019 A to Z List:
A: Al Capone Shines My Shoes
B: Before We Were Free
C: The Copper Gauntlet
D: Davenport House
E: Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective
F: Fish in a Tree
G: The Girl with the Silver Eyes
H: Harold Peabody & The Magic Glasses
I: Inside Out & Back Again
J: Jake Ransom and the Skull King's Shadow
K: King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
L: Like Magic
M: The Mystwick School of Musicraft
N: A Night Divided
O: Odd and the Frost Giants
P: Passage to Avalon
Q: The Queen's Poisoner
R: Refugee; Resistance
S: Squint; The Screaming Staircase
T: Three Times Lucky; The Three Rules of Everyday Magic
U: Unstoppable
V: Vacation Under the Volcano
W: Wishtree; Wheels of Change
X: The X'ed-out X-ray
Y: Young Fredle
Z: The Zombie Zone

Kassidy's 2019 A to Z List:
A: The Absent Author
B: I Survived the Bombing of Pearl Harbor, 1941
C: The Crystal Caverns
D: Dolphins at Daybreak
E: I Survived the Eruption of Mount St. Helens, 1980
F: The Falcon's Feathers
G: I Survived The Great Molasses Flood, 1919
H: I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005
I:
J: I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011
K: The Knight at Dawn
L: Like Magic
M: Midnight on the Moon
N: I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944
O:
P: Pirates Past Noon
Q:
R:
S: I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906
T: Tonight on the Titanic
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

Very late in the year for updating my list, but I've been working on it all year. I let my daughter bend the rules and count all the name of the event for all the I Survived books she'd read because that's her favorite series.

message 12: by C.J. (new)

J.S. wrote: "I talked about this so much last year that my nine-year-old daughter, Kassidy, wants to do it with my this year ..."

Buddy system ... or friendly rivalry!? (I'll be cheering on Kassidy!) : D

message 13: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 175 comments C.J. wrote: "J.S. wrote: "I talked about this so much last year that my nine-year-old daughter, Kassidy, wants to do it with my this year ..."

Buddy system ... or friendly rivalry!? (I'll be cheering on Kassid..."

She's very competitive so I'm sure she'll try to beat me done! :)

message 14: by Sandy (last edited Nov 24, 2019 07:41AM) (new)

Sandy | 15 comments Sandy's 2019 A to Z list

A: Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson,
B: Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson
C: Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate, A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban, The Cloud Searchers by Kazu Kubushi, Crystal Keepers by Brandon Mull
D: The Dark Talent by Brandon Sanderson The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper, Death Weavers by Brandon Mull
E: Escape from Lucien by Kazu Kubushi
F: Fish in a Tree by Lynda Hunt, Firelight by Kazu Kibuishi, Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, Fridays with the Wizards by Jessica Day George
G: Ghosts by Reina Telgemeier, Greenwitch by Susan Cooper, The Grey King by Susan Cooper Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull
H:
I: I survived The Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 by Lauren Tarshis
J:
K: The Knights of Crystallia by Brandon Sanderson
L: The Last Council by Kazu Kibuishi
M: The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick
N: A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home by Henry Cole
O: Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper
P: Prince of the Elves by Kazu Kibuishi
Q:
R: Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix, Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson, The Rogue Knight by Brandon Mull, Rise of the Evening Star
S: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi The Stonekeeper's Curse by Kazu [Kibuishi, [book:Supernova|34199189] by Kazu Kibuishi Sisters by Raina Telgemeier Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder, Smile by Raina Telgemeier, The Scrivener’s Bones by Brandon Sanderson The Shattered Lens by Brandon Sanderson, Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper, Sky Raiders by Brandon Mull, Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty, Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull, Saturdays at Sea
T: The Trouble with Tuck by Theodore Taylor, Time Jumpers by Brandon Sanderson, Thursdays with the Crown by Jessica Day George
U:
V:
W: Wild Wings by Gill Lewis, The Witches by Roald Dahl, Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
X:
Y:
Z:
Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt Crenshaw by Katherine Applegate The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) by Kazu Kibuishi The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) by Kazu Kibuishi A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban The Cloud Searchers (Amulet, #3) by Kazu Kibuishi The Trouble with Tuck (Tuck, #1) by Theodore Taylor The Last Council (Amulet, #4) by Kazu Kibuishi Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5) by Kazu Kibuishi Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6) by Kazu Kibuishi Firelight (Amulet, #7) by Kazu Kibuishi Supernova (Amulet, #8) by Kazu Kibuishi A Nest for Celeste A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home by Henry Cole Wild Wings by Gill Lewis Behind Rebel Lines by Seymour Reit Sisters by Raina Telgemeier I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 (I Survived, #7) by Lauren Tarshis Shades of Gray by Carolyn Reeder The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg by Rodman Philbrick Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Smile by Raina Telgemeier The Witches by Roald Dahl Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians (Alcatraz, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Scrivener’s Bones (Alcatraz, #2) by Brandon Sanderson The Knights of Crystallia (Alcatraz, #3) by Brandon Sanderson The Shattered Lens (Alcatraz, #4) by Brandon Sanderson The Dark Talent (Alcatraz, #5) by Brandon Sanderson Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper Greenwitch by Susan Cooper The Grey King by Susan Cooper Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper Sky Raiders (Five Kingdoms, #1) by Brandon Mull The Rogue Knight (Five Kingdoms, #2) by Brandon Mull Crystal Keepers (Five Kingdoms, #3) by Brandon Mull Death Weavers (Five Kingdoms, #4) by Brandon Mull Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1) by Brandon Mull Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2) by Brandon Mull Time Jumpers (Five Kingdoms, #5) by Brandon Mull Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina, #1) by Robert Beatty Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3) by Brandon Mull Wednesdays in the Tower (Castle Glower, #2) by Jessica Day George Thursdays with the Crown (Castle Glower, #3) by Jessica Day George Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4) by Brandon Mull Fridays with the Wizards (Castle Glower, #4) by Jessica Day George The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin Saturdays at Sea (Castle Glower, #5) by Jessica Day George

message 15: by Jenny (last edited Dec 20, 2019 04:16AM) (new)

Jenny | 13 comments Jenny's 2019 A to Z List:

A:Aquicorn Cove by Katie O'Neill ****, Awkward by Svetlana Chmmakova ***
B:Begone the Raggedy Witches by Celine Kiernan***, Baker's Magic by Diane Zahler ***, The Bookwanderers by Anna James****
C:Camp by Kayla Miller***, City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab****
D:A Dreadful Fairy Book by Jon Etter***
E:Estranged by Ethan Aldridge****, Even for a Dreamer Like Me **
F:Fake Blood by Whitney Gardner***
G:Guardian of the Green Hill by Laura L. Sullivan***, The Girl with the Dragon Heart by Stephanie Burgis****, The Greatest Gift by Kallie George****, The Great Wiz and the Ruckus by Joey McCormick **, Glitch by Sarah Graley ***, Guts by Raina Telgemeier ***
H:A Hint of Hydra by Heidi Lang***, Hicotea by Lorena Alvarez***, The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan****
I:Into the Nightfell Wood by Kristin Bailey***
J:The Jewel of the Kalderash by Marie Rutkoski***, Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling****, Junior High Drama by Louise Simonson***
K:The Wizards of Once: Knock Three Times by Cressida Cowell ****
L:The Last Bogler by Catherine Jinks***
M:Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke *****, The Midwinter Witch by Molly Knox Ostertag****
N:New Kid by Jerry Craft ****, Nightbooks by J. A. White
O:Oakwing: A Fairy's Tale by E. J. Clarke (I read it under the American title. I didn't realize it was different until I looked it up on Goodreads)***The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner*****
P:Pilu of the Woods by Mai K. Nguyen****
Q:
R:The Red Maze by Mark Siegel et al.****
S:The Stonekeeper's Curse by Kazu Kibuishi***, Shadow Magic by Joshua Khan****Slither by Joseph Delaney**, Stargazing by Jen Wang**
T:Twice Magic by Cressida Cowell*****, The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill*****
U:Unicorn of Many Hats by Dana Simpson****
V:The Vengekeep Prophecies by Brian Farrey****
W: Wildings by Eleanor Glewwe****, Wicked Nix by Lena Coakley***
X:
Y:
Z:Zac and the Dream Stealers by Ross MacKenzie ***
Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once, #2) by Cressida Cowell Unicorn of Many Hats (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #7) by Dana Simpson Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill #2) by Laura L. Sullivan Aquicorn Cove by Katie O'Neill Estranged (Estranged, #1) by Ethan M. Aldridge Even for a Dreamer Like Me (Nola's Worlds #3) by Mathieu Mariolle Wildings by Eleanor Glewwe The Girl with the Dragon Heart by Stephanie Burgis Wicked Nix by Lena Coakley A Dreadful Fairy Book by Jon Etter The Stonekeeper's Curse (Amulet, #2) by Kazu Kibuishi Awkward (Berrybrook Middle School, #1) by Svetlana Chmakova Shadow Magic (Shadow Magic, #1) by Joshua Khan Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1) by Celine Kiernan The Greatest Gift (Heartwood Hotel, #2) by Kallie George The Jewel of the Kalderash (The Kronos Chronicles, #3) by Marie Rutkoski The Red Maze (5 Worlds, #3) by Mark Siegel Baker's Magic by Diane Zahler Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling Into the Nightfell Wood (The Silver Gate #2) by Kristin Bailey Oakwing A Fairy's Tale by E.J. Clarke The Last Bogler by Catherine Jinks The Great Wiz and the Ruckus by Joey McCormick Fake Blood by Whitney Gardner Junior High Drama by Louise Simonson Pilu of the Woods by Mai K. Nguyen A Hint of Hydra (Lailu Loganberry #2) by Heidi Lang Camp by Kayla Miller Glitch by Sarah Graley New Kid by Jerry Craft The Vengekeep Prophecies by Brian Farrey Zac and the Dream Stealers by Ross MacKenzie Nightbooks by J.A. White Guts by Raina Telgemeier City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake, #1) by Victoria Schwab Slither (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #11) by Joseph Delaney Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4) by Ben Hatke The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill Hicotea (Nightlights #2) by Lorena Alvarez Gomez The Wizards of Once Knock Three Times by Cressida Cowell The Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2) by Rick Riordan The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner Stargazing by Jen Wang The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3) by Molly Ostertag The Bookwanderers (Pages & Co., #1) by Anna James

message 16: by Louie (last edited Dec 30, 2019 11:24PM) (new)

Louie | 73 comments Louie's 2019 A to Z List: Read 21/26

A: Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
B:The Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
C: Cinderella Liberator by Rebecca Solnit
D: Drama by Raina Telgemeier
E: Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery
F: Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
G: Guts by Raina Telgemeier
H:
I: Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
J: Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
K: Kneeknock Rise by Natalie Babbit
L: The Last Ever After by Soman Chainani
M: Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina
N: The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani
O: Ozy and Millie by Dana Simpson
P: The Pistachio Prescription by Paula Danziger
Q:
R: The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart
S: Sheets by Brenna Thummler
T: TBH, This May Be TMI by Lisa Greenwald
U: Unicorn Theater by Dana Simpson
V:
W: Wonder by R.J. Palacio
X:
Y: A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
Z:

message 17: by SaraKat (last edited Dec 31, 2019 03:08PM) (new)

SaraKat | 173 comments Mod
SaraKat's 2019 A to Z List:
A: A Summer to Die Beautiful coming of age story.
B: The Blood of Olympus Final book in the Heroes of Olympus series.
C: Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean A graphic nonfiction book about coral reefs and their important roles in ecosystems and the world. Pretty good.
D: Science Comics: Dogs: From Predator to Protector A great nonfiction graphic form book that teaches all about genetics, heredity, and the evolution and breeding of dogs.
E: El extraño caso del Doctor Jekyll y Mister Hyde Spanish graphic novel adaptation of the classic tale of Jekyll and Hyde.
F: Front Desk Beautiful story of a Chinese immigrant girl who wants to make her family's and other immigrants' lives better.
G: The Green Glass Sea Interesting view of the Manhattan project through the eyes of children living at Los Alamos during WWII.
H: Hatchet A survival story featuring a 13 year old boy who survives a plan crash in the Canadian wilderness.
I: The Illyrian Adventure I like the writing, but not the character.
J:Jackaby Hilarious and fun supernatural historical fiction/ mystery
K:Kensuke's Kingdom Nice deserted island adventure
L: Leaving Gee's Bend 1930's historical fiction about a poor sharecropper community from the POV of a 10 year old girl.
M: The Mark of Athena Third book in the Heroes of Olympus series which is a follow-up series to the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
N: The Night Gardener A creepy fantasy set in England during the Irish potato famine. Loved it!
O: Bone, Vol, 1: Out from Boneville A graphic novel collection of the Bone comics. Cute series for middle graders.
P: Parker Bell and the Science of Friendship Nice integration of the scientific method into everyday life by this elementary protagonist.
Q: The Queen's Nose Magic wishes granted for a ten-year old. Of course things don't go as planned.
R: The Raft A quick survival at sea story.
S: The Sword of Summer The first in Riordan's Norse Mytholody series.
T: Three Times Lucky I love this mystery series!
U: The Unwanted: Stories of the Syrian Refugees Wonderful graphic nonfiction explaining the Syrian refugee crisis.
V: Vive La Paris Very touching story. Absolutely loved it.
W: Wishtree A simple fantasy that teaches lessons about acceptance of others.
X: The XYZs of Being Wicked Another Eleven-year-old-gets-an-invitation-to-attend-Magic-School story.
Y: You Go First Super cute book about nerdy, smart kids learning how to do the whole "friendship" thing.
Z: The Zoo at the Edge of the WorldA disappointing end to my A to Z challenge.

message 18: by Harley (last edited Dec 15, 2019 08:19PM) (new)

Harley Bennett | 100 comments Harley's 2019 A to Z List:
A: The Ambrose Deception***** by Emily Ecton
B:
C: The Cabinet of Earths***** by Anne Nesbet
The Collector** by K. R. Alexander
The Curse in the Candlelight***** by Sophie Cleverly
Coraline***** by Neil Gaiman
City of Ghosts***** by Victoria Schwab
D: The Dance in the Dark***** by Sophie Cleverly
The Dollhouse Murders***** by Betty Ren Wright
The Devil's Arithmetic***** by Jane Yolen
Dolphin Song***** by Lauren St. John
E: The Escape from Home***** by Avi
The Explorer*** by Katherine Rundell
F: The Family Under the Bridge**** by Natalie Savage Carlson
G: The Gawgon and the Boy* by Lloyd Alexander
The Ghost of Fossil Glen***** by Cynthia DeFelice
Guardians of the Taiga***** by Stacy Plays
A Gift of Magic***** by Lois Duncan
Granted***** by John David Anderson
The Ghosts of Tupelo Landing***** by Sheila Turnage
The Girl in the Locked Room: A Ghost Story***** by Mary Downing Hahn
H: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix**** by J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince**** by J. K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows**** by J. K. Rowling
Hearts of Ice***** by Adi Rule
Hear the Wind Blow***** by Mary Downing Hahn
I: Incident at Hawk's Hill***** by Allan W. Eckert
Island of the Blue Dolphins**** by Scott O'Dell
J: Jake** by Audrey Couloumbis
K:
L: The Lost Island of Tamarind* by Nadia Aguiar
The Lost Twin***** by Sophie Cleverly
The Lights Under the Lake***** by Sophie Cleverly
Lord Kirkle's Money***** by Avi
The Law of Finders Keepers***** by Sheila Turnage
M: Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day***** by Gary Paulson
The Mad Wolf's Daughter***** by Diane Magras
The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle**** by William Arden
Mrs. Smith's Spy School for Girls***** by Beth McMullen
Mystery in the Mansion**** by Lauren Magaziner
N:
O: Orphan Island***** by Laurel Snyder
The Old Willis Place***** by Mary Downing Hahn
Onion John* by Joseph Krumgold
The Odds of Getting Even***** by Sheila Turnage
The One and Only Ivan**** by Katherine Applegate
P: Pure Magic**** by Elizabeth Coatsworth ( The Werefox)
The Parker Inheritance**** by Varian Johnson
Q:
R: The Railway Children***** by E. Nesbit
S: Speak***** by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Serpent's Secret*** by Sayantani Dasgupta
Secrets of the Shopping Mall***** by Richard Peck
Shadows on the Sea***** by Joan Hiatt Harlow
The Secret of Roan Inish***** by Rosalie K. Fry (original title: The Secret of the Ron Mor Skerry)
Small Spaces***** by Katherine Arden
Serafina and the Black Cloak***** by Robert Beatty
Serafina and the Twisted Staff***** by Robert Beatty
Serafina and the Splintered Heart***** by Robert Beatty
Serafina and the Seven Stars***** by Robert Beatty
T: Time Cat* by Lloyd Alexander
The Two Princesses of Bamarre***** by Gail Carson Levine
2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious***** by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale
Turn Left at the Cow***** by Lisa Bullard
Three Times Lucky***** by Sheila Turnage
Three Legends***** by Paul Gallico
Tallahassee Higgins**** by Mary Downing Hahn
U: The Unicorn in the Barn *** by Jacqueline K. Ogburn
V:
W: The Witch of Blackbird Pond***** by Elizabeth George Speare
Winterhouse*** Ben Guterson
When the Butterflies Came***** by Kimberly Griffiths Little
The Whispers in the Walls***** by Sophie Cleverly
The Whale Rider***** by Witi Ihimaera
The White Giraffe***** by Lauren St. John
War of the Realms***** Kate O'Hearn
X:
Y:
Z:

message 19: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 100 comments Sandy wrote: "Sandy's 2019 A to Z list

A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
H:
I:
J:
K:
L:
M:
N:
O:
P:
Q:
R: Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix
S:
T:
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:
[bookcover:Running Out of Time..."

Good book to start the year with.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15 comments Thanks, I really enjoyed it. I am trying to read all of books on this year's Battle of the Books list. Hopefully being able to discuss them with my students will encourage them to read them themselves. I liked Running Out of Time enough I think it will be my next read aloud for my class.

message 21: by Georgie (last edited Jun 25, 2019 12:09PM) (new)

Georgie | 39 comments Right then, here we go....

A Avoid Being a World War Two Pilot! by Ian Graham ****
B The Boy of a Thousand Faces by Brian Selznick *****
C
D The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken *****
E Eragon by Christopher Paolini *****
The End by Lemony Snicket *****
F The Fugitive by John Grisham *****
G The Grim Grotto by Lemony Snicket *****
H The House with Chicken Legs by Sophie Anderson *****
I The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick *****
J
K
L
M The Mighty Crashman by Jerry Spinelli *****
N Now by Morris Gleitzman *****
O Once by Morris Gleitzman ****
P The Paradise Trap by Catherine Jinks *****
The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket *****
Q
R
S The Scandal by John Grisham *****
Step by Wicked Step by Anne Fine ***** One of my favourites. :)
T: Tales of Terror from the Black Ship by Chris Priestley ****
Then by Morris Gleitzman *****
Treasure Hunters by James Patterson ****
U: Uncanny! by Paul Jennings *****
V
W The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner
The Wilderness War by Julia Green *****

Waterslain Angels by Kevin Crossley-Holland *****
X
Y
Z

message 23: by Carmel (last edited Dec 22, 2019 01:29AM) (new)

Carmel | 72 comments Carmel 2019 A to Z List:
A: Awful Auntie by David Walliams *****
B: Kensy & Max: Breaking News by Jacqueline Harvey **
Beverly, Right Here by Kate DiCamillo *****
C: Cicada by Shaun Tan *****
Coraline by Neil Gaiman *****
D: The Dog Runner by Bren MacDibble *****
Detention by Tristan Bancks 4.5*
E: Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan ***
F: Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry ***
G: Give Peas a Chance by Morris Gleitzman
H: Hour of the Bees by Lindsay Eagar **
Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
I: Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World by Ashley Herring Blake *****
The Ice Monster by David Walliams *****
Ice Wolves by Amie Kaufman ****
Ice Dogs by Terry Lynn Johnson 3.5*
J: Jinxed!: The Curious Curse of Cora Bell by Rebecca McRitchie **
K: Keara's Raven: Escape by Mindy Klasky
L: Lenny's Book of Everything by Karen Foxlee *****
M: Mr Bambuckle's Remarkables by Tim Harris ****
N: The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani ****
O: Out of My Mind by Sharon M., Draper ****
P: Patina by Jason Reynolds ****
Q: The Quest of the Cubs by Kathryn Lasky ****
R: Refugee by Alan Gratz ****
Reaching for the Moon: The Autobiography of NASA Mathematician Katherine Johnson ****
S: The Skylarks' War by Hilary McKay 3.5*
T: This is My Song by Richard Yaxley ****
The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
U: Unexpected Twist: An Oliver Twisted Tale by Michael Rosen **
V: Verify by Joelle Charbonneau ****
W: Where the Heart Is by Jo Knowles ****
Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend *****
A Waltz for Matilda by Jackie French *****
X:
Y: You Must Be Layla by Yassmin Abdel-Magied ***
The Year We Fell From Space by A.S. King
Z: The Cursed First Term of Zelda Stitch. Bad Teacher. Worse Witch. by Nicki Greenberg ***

message 25: by Gayle (last edited Sep 19, 2019 05:30PM) (new)

Gayle | 2 comments Sounds like a fun challenge. Should be interesting...

2019 A to Z List:
A: Angel and Bavar by Amy Wilson
--The Ambrose Deception by Emily Ecton
B: The Blue Witch by Alane Adams
--Beauty by Robin McKinley
--Bluefish by Pat Schmatz
C: The Chocolate Factory Ghost by David O'Connell
D: Dragonrider by Cornelia Funke
E: Eye of the North by Sinead O'Hart *****
--East by Edith Pattou *****
--The Elsewhere Emporium by Ross McKenzie *****
F: The Flight of Swans by Sarah McGuire *****
--The Frame Up by Wendy MacKnight *****
G: The Girl with a Dragon Heart by Stephanie Burgis
H: The House with Chicken Legs by Sophie Anderson
--Halfway Normal by Barbara Dee *****
I: Insert Coin to Continue by John David Anderson *****
J: The Junction of Sunshine and Lucky by Holly Schindler *****
K: The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie Lloyd *****
L: Lynn Visible by Julia DeVillers
M: A Most Magical Girl by Karen Foxlee
N: The Nowhere Emporium by Ross Mackenzie *****
O: Once Upon A Marigold by Jean Ferris
P: The Princess Curse by Merrie Haskell
--Princess of the Wild Swans by Diane Zahler
Q:
R: Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise by Dan Gemeinhart
S: The Storm Keepers Island by Catherine Doyle *****
T: The Train to Impossible Places by P.G. Bell
U: The Unteachables by Gordon Korman *****
V: The VanGogh Deception by Deron Hicks *****
W: Wed Wabbit by Lissa Evans
X:
Y: You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly
Z: Zinnia and the Bees by Danielle Davis

The Eye of the North by Sinéad O'Hart The Nowhere Emporium by Ross MacKenzie The Unteachables by Gordon Korman The Van Gogh Deception by Deron R. Hicks The Flight of Swans by Sarah McGuire The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1) by Catherine Doyle The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie Lloyd Insert Coin to Continue by John David Anderson The Junction of Sunshine and Lucky by Holly Schindler Halfway Normal by Barbara Dee East (East, #1) by Edith Pattou The Elsewhere Emporium by Ross MacKenzie The Frame-Up by Wendy McLeod MacKnight

message 26: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments C.J. wrote: "Middlegrade is where I do most of my reading, with definite fantasy/mystery/adventure leanings. Once again this year, my goal is to get through the alphabet twice!

CJ's 2019 A to Z List:

My intent is to reply to CU's post but as I am at the bottom of the page, I wonder if I selected the right "reply" Button. CJ, your goal and number of books read so far is impressive. Any chance that you could do a star rating for the books? It would be interesting to discover books that you think are particularly good.

message 27: by C.J. (new)

Trudy wrote: "C.J. wrote: "Any chance that you could do a star rating for the books? It would be interesting to discover books that you think are particularly good...."

I do always rate & review the books I read. Friending me or following my reviews would mean 1) you'd see those reviews in your feed and 2) when you click on any book, reviews/ratings by your friends are prioritized and show up directly under the book's meta-data. (Very useful, especially if you find someone with similar story tastes.)

I won't be adding stars because (I am not even kidding) last year I ran out of characters for my A-Z list. I had to keep editing out details like series names & even "by" before the author's name in order to stay under the limit. Go figure! : )

message 28: by C.J. (new)

Trudy wrote: "C.J. wrote: "It would be interesting to discover books that you think are particularly good...."

On a related note, we do a monthly wrap up post with the heading "The Best Book I Read in [Month]" ... and my personal favorites (along with a short summary/rationale) always show up there. (I've often bumped books closer to the top of my To Read pile after other GMGR members mention them on those threads.)

message 29: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Wow, the list space limits add an extra challenge to the A-Z reading challenge!

message 30: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Thanks. Now following you and I always look forward to "The Best Book I Read...."

message 31: by Jemima (new)

C.J. wrote: "...I won't be adding stars because (I am not even kidding) last year I ran out of characters for my A-Z list. I had to keep editing out details like series names & even "by" before the author's name in order to stay under the limit..."

Gosh, I didn't know you could run out of space! You must have set a record as nobody's mentioned that in the seven years I've been here :)

message 32: by C.J. (new)

Jemima wrote: "Gosh, I didn't know you could run out of space! You must have set a record as nobody's mentioned that in the seven years I've been here :) "

What can I say? I love to read. Especially middle grade books. This group is the best!

message 33: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 100 comments C.J. wrote: "Trudy wrote: "C.J. wrote: "Any chance that you could do a star rating for the books? It would be interesting to discover books that you think are particularly good...."

I do always rate & review t..."

You may run out of space because you are listing titles and displaying covers.

message 34: by C.J. (new)

Harley wrote: "You may run out of space because you are listing titles and displaying covers."

Well, sure. That's part of it. : )

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
I’m kind of boggled. I have apparently read only 2 MG books so far this year.

message 36: by Jemima (new)

Rebecca wrote: "I’m kind of boggled. I have apparently read only 2 MG books so far this year."
I'm behind you :(

message 37: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Chambers (jeanniechambers) | 10 comments This seems like fun- my first time. I'm a fairly slow reader, but I'll try.
I've only read 1 MG this year, and the title starts with The. I read the first post, and for most books that will work fine, but the one I read is The 47 people.... So, do I ignore the rule and log as T, or log as F for forty, spelling out the numerical?

Thanks,

message 38: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Chambers (jeanniechambers) | 10 comments Jeannie's 2019 A to Z List:
A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
H:
I:
J:
K:
L:
M:
N:
O:
P:
Q:
R:
S:
T:
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 39: by C.J. (new)

Jeannie wrote: "...the one I read is The 47 people.... So, do I ignore the rule and log as T, or log as F for forty, spelling out the numerical?"

I suppose it's simplest to file it under "F" for forty. Go with that. : )

message 40: by Jemima (new)

C.J. wrote: "Jeannie wrote: "...the one I read is The 47 people.... So, do I ignore the rule and log as T, or log as F for forty, spelling out the numerical?"

I suppose it's simplest to file it under "F" for f..."

I'd agree with that.

message 41: by Becca (new)

Becca (lupingirl) | 3 comments Becca's 2019 A to Z List:

A:
B:
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:
H:
I:
J:
K:
L:
M:
N:
O:
P:
Q:
R:
S:
T:
U:
V:
W:
X:
Y:
Z:

message 43: by Diana S (last edited Mar 15, 2019 12:20PM) (new)

Diana S | 5 comments Diana S' 2019 A-Z List

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S The Secrets of Blueberries, Brothers, Moose & Me by Sue Nickerson (1/21/19) ☆☆☆☆
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

The Secrets of Blueberries, Brothers, Moose & Me by Sara Nickerson

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
C.J. wrote: "Jeannie wrote: "...the one I read is The 47 people.... So, do I ignore the rule and log as T, or log as F for forty, spelling out the numerical?"

I suppose it's simplest to file it under "F" for f..."

Yes. Use standard alphabetizing: drop “a” and “the” from the beginnings of titles, and spell out numbers.

message 45: by Nicole (last edited May 02, 2019 07:23AM) (new)

Nicole M. Hewitt (nicolemhewitt) | 2 comments I'm late to the game, but I thought I'd join in and see how far I get. Here are the books I've read so far this year. I chose my favorite from each letter, since I have some repeats. (I'll add as I go):

A: Alistair Grim's Odditorium by Gregory Funaro
B:
C:
D: Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee
E:
F: A Friendly Town That's Almost Always by the Ocean! by Kir Fox & M. Shelley Coats
G:
H: Hurricane Season by Nicole Melleby
I:
J:
K:
L: The Lonely Ones by Kelsey Sutton
M:
N: Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray by Jess Keating
O: Operation Frog Effect by Sarah Scheerger
P: Peasprout Chen, Future Legend of Skate and Sword by Henry Lien
Q:
R: The Revenge of Magic by James Riley
S: Song for a Whale by Lynne Kelly
T:
U:
V:
W: The Whispers by Greg Howard
X:
Y:
Z:

message 46: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 319 comments Moderators, this thread seems to have disappeared from the landing page. It's not under the 'Challenges' sections on the right-hand menu either. Can you reinstate it so it's easier to find when I want to update my entries? Thanks.

message 47: by C.J. (new)

Justine wrote: "Moderators, this thread seems to have disappeared from the landing page...."

Interestingly enough, this happens when there's been no new activity for a while. (Updating past comments doesn't count.) By commenting, you've basically refreshed the thread. It should show up again. : )

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 13 comments Refresh!

message 49: by C.J. (last edited Jan 01, 2020 06:31AM) (new)

C.J. wrote: "Middlegrade is where I do most of my reading, with definite fantasy/mystery/adventure leanings. Once again this year, my goal is to get through the alphabet twice!"

Nine months in, and I ran out of characters in my previous comment. So this is my addendum.

CJ's 2019 A to Z List (Part Two):

A: April Adventure Ron Roy
B:
C: Clementine Sara Pennypacker
Cool! Michael Morpurgo
The Changeling King Ethan M. Aldridge
The Cathedral of Fear Irene Adler
Crane Jeff Stone
D:
E: The Enchantress Returns Chris Colfer
EndGames Ru Xu
Escape from Lucien Kazu Kibuishi
Eagle Jeff Stone
F: The Fog Diver Joel Ross
Firelight Kazu Kibuishi
G:
H: Hatchet Gary Paulsen
I:
J:
K:
L: Locomotion Jacqueline Woodson
The Last Gargoyle Paul Durham
Lost and Found Orson Scott Card
M: The Mystery of the Scarlet Rose Irene Adler
Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl Ben Hatke
Monkey Jeff Stone
Mouse Jeff Stone
N: A Nest for Celeste: A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home Henry Cole
NewsPrints Ru Xu
O:
P: Plain Kate Erin Bow
Prince of the Elves Kazu Kibuishi
Q:
R:
S: Swordbird Nancy Yi Fan
The Star Thief Lindsey Becker
Stargazing Jen Wang
Snake Jeff Stone
T: Twilight of the Elves Zack Loran Clark & Nick Eliopulos
The Tea Dragon Festival Katie O'Neill
Tiger Jeff Stone
U:
V:
W: Winterhouse Ben Guterson
Words of Stone Kevin Henkes
Will Sparrow's Road Karen Cushman
X:
Y:
Z:

The Enchantress Returns (The Land of Stories, #2) by Chris Colfer Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1) by Gary Paulsen Winterhouse (Winterhouse, #1) by Ben Guterson Words of Stone by Kevin Henkes Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson Clementine (Clementine, #1) by Sara Pennypacker Cool! by Michael Morpurgo April Adventure (Calendar Mysteries, #4) by Ron Roy A Nest for Celeste A Story About Art, Inspiration, and the Meaning of Home by Henry Cole Plain Kate by Erin Bow Swordbird (Swordbird, #1) by Nancy Yi Fan Twilight of the Elves (The Adventurers Guild #2) by Zack Loran Clark The Fog Diver (The Fog Diver, #1) by Joel N. Ross The Mystery of the Scarlet Rose by Irene Adler The Star Thief by Lindsey Becker The Last Gargoyle by Paul Durham Lost and Found by Orson Scott Card Stargazing by Jen Wang Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4) by Ben Hatke The Changeling King (Estranged, #2) by Ethan M. Aldridge NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1) by Ru Xu EndGames (NewsPrints, #2) by Ru Xu The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill The Cathedral of Fear by Irene Adler Prince of the Elves (Amulet, #5) by Kazu Kibuishi Escape from Lucien (Amulet, #6) by Kazu Kibuishi Tiger (Five Ancestors, #1) by Jeff Stone Firelight (Amulet, #7) by Kazu Kibuishi Will Sparrow's Road by Karen Cushman Monkey (Five Ancestors, #2) by Jeff Stone Snake (Five Ancestors, #3) by Jeff Stone Crane (The Five Ancestors Series #4) by Jeff Stone Eagle (Five Ancestors, #5) by Jeff Stone Mouse (Five Ancestors, #6) by Jeff Stone

**Officially completed my goal of getting through the alphabet twice on August 31, 2019. (Took me that long to get around to another "X" book!)

message 50: by Carmel (new)

Carmel | 72 comments Wow! 😲 Wonderful! Yes, I’d appreciate seeing your star ratings if you have time.

« previous 1