Start by marking “Esperanza Rising” as Want to Read:
Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  57,855 ratings  ·  5,445 reviews
Esperanza thought she'd always live with her family on their ranch in Mexico--she'd always have fancy dresses, a beautiful home, and servants. But a sudden tragedy forces Esperanza and Mama to flee to California during the Great Depression, and to settle in a camp for Mexican farm workers. Esperanza isn't ready for the hard labor, financial struggles, or lack of acceptance ...more
Published September 27th 2002 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Esperanza Rising, please sign up.
Sarina I have sympathy for Marta and I admire her courage to stand up for her cause, but that doesn’t mean I like her.
Ingrid This book isn't too hard to understand so I guess this book would be alright but she should ask questions if she doesn't understand something .

Michelle
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book with my class today...couldn't read that last sentence because I cried...the kids cried too. That hasn't happened to me before with a read aloud...great story.
Brina
I read and lesson planned this book when I student taught Spanish I to 7th and 8th graders. Any review I write will not do the book justice because it's been a long time and deserving of a reread. Definitely a great learning tool and Hispanic historical novel to read to middle school students.
Whitney Price

Reading level Interest level 13-15
Potential hot lava:
racism

General response/reaction:
My first response to this book was that I wanted it to be longer. I wanted to read more about the relationships Ezperanza makes and to see if anything evolves between her and Miguel. I really e
Naz (Read Diverse Books)
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I adored Esperanza, her family, and their story. <3
Jenny
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
An inspiring story of struggle, hardship, and hope, Esperanza Rising gave me and my children much to discuss. This is a great work of historical fiction for children based on the life of the author's grandmother.

Esperanza, the daughter of a wealthy landowner, and her mother must leave their home in Mexico and start over as farm workers in California after the death of her father. Set in the early 1930's, this book gives you a feel for the struggles of the Great Depression as well as California H
Rebecca
A wonderful story. I listened to the audiobook but I want to read it again with a paper copy at some point.
Courtney
Though Esperanza comes from a privileged background, she and her mother are forced to flee Mexico after her father dies. She must work as a farm laborer (despite her upbringing and education) in southern California during the Great Depression.

The characterization is lovely; they are well rounded with realistic concerns and struggles. This novel illuminates the unique plight of Mexican-American laborers during the Great Depression, including forced deportation, labor strikes, competition from th
S
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Xueting
What a beautiful and beautifully simple story! I love the angles of perspective, the rich culture and largely ignored history of the Mexican repatriation, that the author explores. It's even better to learn that the author based the story largely on very true events of her grandmother's time. Esperanza is a lovely young heroine who matures so believably and admirably. I really like that she started as a pretty ignorant, hot-tempered and slightly spoiled child, so we can see that the Mexicans don ...more
||Swaroop||
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
"Aguántate tantito y la fruta caerá en tu mano," her father said. "Wait a little while and the fruit will fall into your hand. You must be patient, Esperanza."

Esperanza Rising is my 2nd book of Pam Muñoz Ryan. The 1st book was the awesome Echo.

Esperanza Rising has been a wonderful read. One of the first thoughts I had, after finishing the book, was that, this book should have been slightly more longer.

Did you know if you lie down on the ground and stay very still, you can feel the Earth's heart
Elaine
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a powerfull story. Need I say that I spent an hour in tears as I was reading the book. Woke up with puffy eyes the next day. Unfortunately students only get to experience the Grapes of Wrath in high school. How marvelous would it be to also introduce them to Esperanza Rising, perhaps as part of an immigration unit and then have them analyze the different experiences of these two groups, the "Oakies" and the Mexican immigrants.
I was so moved by the selfless act of Ramona to give up all t
Kelsey
Mar 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10-13
This book was wonderful! I started reading it a while ago, but stopped because I thought it was too sad. (I was at the part about the papayas) I just picked it up again and couldn't put it down! This was, by far, one of the best books I've ever read!
Lata
I really enjoyed this story about young Esperanza, whose life is turned upside down after her father's death. Going from a privileged, comfortable life in Mexico on her father's ranch, or a difficult, hard life in California, Esperanza starts out naive and entitled, but undergoes tremendous growth and strength of character by the end of this novel. Plus, I got to learn a little about Mexican workers in California around the Depression: the racism they encountered, their efforts to gain better ri ...more
Catherine
Nov 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I wanted to like this book, but I struggled with liking the characters. There was not one character I really cared about. I found I cared more about the roses they were transplanting than the people who were transplanted. I did like the growth I saw in Esperanza.

This story was too didactic. Munoz didn't trust her reader enough to figure out what was right; she felt she had to tell them. She also had too many plot lines going that seemed to go nowhere at all. Murdered father, greedy and mean unc
Emily
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is GREAT! I read it with school and at first to be honest I hated it! Esperanza was annoying and snobby! But in the end she was a really like able person!
Linda
I’m well aware of the privileges I hold simply by accident of birth. And I’m also aware that a turn of circumstance, like devastating illness or unemployment, could suddenly take away many of the comforts I take for granted.

Esperanza is an adolescent girl who suddenly has to face a future where all the things in her life are suddenly taken away from her. It’s the story of her new perspective, her new path forward.

It’s also a story of immigration, of racism, of classism, of family. It’s the story
Lars Guthrie
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A really great book on so many levels. There are so many connections you can make with kids while reading 'Esperanza,' but learning about the Great Depression, and Mexico, and farm workers, and how fruits and vegetables get to our tables, and California geography, are all side benefits to this Cinderella-in-reverse story that still ends up happily. It's a classic, and should be in every collection of children's books. Highly recommended.
Rebecca McNutt
Esperanza has to unfortunately face losing everything and toiling away for net to nothing during the Great Depression, but throughout the book, her story is told with vibrancy and honesty, recalling her beloved Mexico home despite living in the grit and determination of an uncertain era.
Megan Tsosie
Apr 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
That starting over is not always bad, bad things may happen but we somehow manage to survive.
Rachel Aranda
Wow this is such a powerful story on so many levels. There are so many teachable moments that can be made with kids while reading Esperanza Rising. A few of these teachable moments deal with the Great Depression, immigration, farm working conditions, how fruits and vegetables get to our tables, racism, and many more. Another side with this story are how this story has a similar Cinderella-in-reverse plot that still ends up happily. I used to hear it's a classic when I was a kid but rereading thi ...more
Karina
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5... It was a sweet story of hope and dignity. A girl and her mother go to CA from Mex due to tragic life changing events. Born with land and money she has to abandon it all to start a new life in poverty, living in farm camps where the work is hard and there is a constant fear of getting deported for striking whether one has citizenship or not. Fast, easy read for an adult. 4th grade plus book.
Cherie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very inspirational story about the author's family and how they came to the United States to work in the early 1920's in central California.
Erin 신애린 Shin
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is really heart-warming.
Cinthia
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandra Deaconu
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De mult nu am mai găsit într-un roman atâta candoare, dragoste și optimism! M-a făcut să-mi fie dor de vremea când mergeam cu bunicii și părinții la câmp. Mâncam la prânz ouă fierte dimineața și ținute sub pom, la umbră, până atunci, iar sarea era într-un flacon de medicamente, normal. Mă întreb ce ar fi zis bătrânii dacă scoteam atunci o sticluță cu dezinfectant și niscaiva șervețele umede. Dacă vă e dor de bunici, dacă ați pierdut pe cineva, dacă viața v-a obligat să vă maturizați prea devreme ...more
Rachel Aranda
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Genetta
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this as an audible book. What a beautiful voice narrator Trini Alvarado has! Her reading was a captivating performance, carrying me into the story even more than if I had read it myself.

When disaster visits wealthy Esperanza Ortega and her family who live on a ranch in Mexico, she and her mama escape to California where they adjust to life as peasants and migrant workers during the Great Depression. Soulful, dramatic, lyrical, and extraordinary are the first words that come to mind
Jamie Ayres
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this book with my seventh grade students the first quarter and was pleasantly surprised. It was interesting to view the Great Depression through a Mexican immigrant's eyes, working on a farm in California. My students and I learned a lot.
Colleen Houck
An inspirational story that will stick with you. I love Esperanza. She changed so much in the course of the book. I loved immersing myself in her world and her culture. A must read!
Bekah Andrews
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, heartfelt, emotional. I cried and cried. Particularly relevant these days.
Book Review 5 1 1 Nov 02, 2018 06:37PM
Historical Fiction 1 2 Sep 17, 2018 11:32AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan - Starting 14th August 2018 17 136 Aug 14, 2018 09:40PM
Play Book Tag: Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan - 4 stars 4 16 Jun 15, 2018 06:33AM
  • The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom
  • Just in Case
  • Before We Were Free
  • Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez
  • The Liberation of Gabriel King
  • Gathering the Sun: An Alphabet in Spanish and English: Bilingual Spanish-English
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • Freedom Summer
  • Ninth Ward
  • Keeping Score
  • Our Only May Amelia (May Amelia, #1)
  • Homeless Bird
  • Bird in a Box
  • Day of Tears
  • Breaking Through
  • Dona Flor: A Tall Tale About a Giant Woman with a Great Big Heart
  • Elijah of Buxton
  • Nory Ryan's Song (Nory Ryan, #1)
Pam Muñoz Ryan is the author of the New York Times Best Seller, ECHO, a 2016 Newbery Honor Book, and winner of the Kirkus Prize. She has written over forty books for young people—picture books, early readers, and middle grade and young adult novels. She the author recipient of the NEA's Human and Civil Rights Award, the Virginia Hamilton Literary Award, the Willa Cather Award, the Pura Belpré meda ...more
“We are like the phoenix," said Abuelita. "Rising again, with a new life ahead of us.” 75 likes
“The needle rocked awkwardly and at the end of her beginning rows, Isabel held up her work to show Esperanza. "Mine is all crooked!"

Esperanza smiled and reached over and gently pulled the yarn, unraveling the uneven stitches. Then she looked into Isabel's trusting eyes and said, "Do not ever be afraid to start over.”
44 likes