Start by marking “Time Cat” as Want to Read:
Time Cat

Time Cat

Gareth's definitely no ordinary cat. For one thing, he can talk. For another, he's got the power to travel through time. And the instant he tells this to Jason, the two of them are in ancient Egypt, on the first of nine amazing adventures that Jason will never forget.
Published February 1st 1996 by Puffin Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Time Cat, please sign up.
holly Please, do not post what are obviously homework questions on here. Read the book as you are suppose to.

Jerry
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like cats.

I like time travel stories.

I like kiddie entertainment.

So, you'd probably expect I'd like this book...

...and I did!
Caitlin
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves cats
Recommended to Caitlin by: Mom
Summary: Gareth's definitely not an ordinary cat. For one thing, he can talk.For another, he's got the power to travel through time- Anywhere, any time, any country, any century, Gareth tells Jason. And in the wink of a very special cat's eye, they're off. From ancient Egypt to Japan, the land of young Leonardo da Vinci to the town of a woman accused of witchcraft, Jason and Gareth are whisked from place to place and friend to foe. Full of fun, excitement, and a good dose of history, here's a fa ...more
Tamara
Sep 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Okay I liked the premise but not the execution. They just seem to be jumping around to different times and countries without any real direction. Reads more like a series of short stories.
Manybooks
Although the general premise of Loyd Alexander's 1963 novel Time Cat looked both interesting and intriguing enough (as a talking feline with the ability to deliberately and with purpose travel through time sure did sound right up my proverbial alley so to speak), truth be told and sadly, I have seldom found a children's novel this tedious and massively yawn-inducing boring, For while I generally tend to enjoy episodic stories, I have never (and this since childhood) all that much appreciated for ...more
Amanda
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF at 54 pages. This wasn't for me. There was very little world building to this episodic book. I wanted to know why the cat took his boy to these different times, but it seemed random, like the author just thought they were cool and different places to explore. The episodes were also bland. The boy and cat are kidnapped and then have to teach the man who is holding them captive about cat behavior. He then has a positive relationship with cats and becomes a better person. The the boy and cat pe ...more
SuperHeroQwimm
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This was what I would consider a bunch of short stories, and while they were entertaining I'm super disappointed because it would have been so easy to connect them. It seems almost offensively lazy on the authors behalf lol
Kylie
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
I loved this book- Lloyd Alexander certainly knows a lot about history- and cats. He captures the quirky behavior and manerisms of cats perfectly, and really makes me want to go home and spend some good quality time with my own cats. In Time Cat, the reader follows a boy and his cat as they travel through time to experience many monumental moments in history. The book devotes two or three chapters to each time period- just enough to get the point accross and move on. It is also historically acur ...more
Rachel
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
All cats can talk if they want, but most cats don't wish to do so. Gareth, however, is unique: he talks to Jason, his boy companion (cats don't have owners), and takes Jason with him on nine adventures, one for each of his nine lives. They start in ancient Egypt, and travel forward through history in leaps and bounds, experiencing some of history's most pivotal ages and meeting some of its most colorful characters.

It's a delightful romp through history, and my daughter and I found occasion to p
Ally Mellinger
Aug 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Frankly, this story made me feel as though it had been written by a child. The plot was so thin I could've cut through it with a butter knife. To be honest, I couldn't even finish the whole book. Jason, a young boy around the age of nine, discovers that his cat can speak and time travel through simple conversation; he seems completely unfazed by this new development.

To be honest, our two time travellers seem like an adorable couple. However this avenue was never pursued, but simply hinted at t
Jacob
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, from_library
A nice, light romp through several historical vignettes from the perspective of cats in history. This is Alexander's first book written for youth and his style is very apparent, especially when he's writing dialogue between boys and girls. It's not as enjoyable as the The Book of Three series or the overlooked gem The Illyrian Adventure, but it's also quite possibly easier to enjoy for a slightly younger audience than those.

The story is of a boy who discovers that instead of having nine lives, c
Kevin Fanning
Oct 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Read this with Kinnell but gave up about half way through, neither of us was feeling it.

It's a book about a kid and his talking, time-traveling cat. They visit different historical eras (Ancient Egypt, Feudal Japan, etc) and...not really solve problems? Just kind of visit, meet some people, get semi-involved in cat-centric situations, and then take off? It's all kind of low-stakes, when things get hot they just move on to the next era. The portraits of the different historical cultures aren't o
Mom
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think it is a very good book for young children. Some books can bring something to all ages but this one is meant for children. The writer blends historical facts with an adventure story.
Kim
May 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
I had heard that I would enjoy Lloyd Alexander and, when I asked for his books, I mistakenly assumed that he wrote one long series... As a result, I ended up with this book, which is great for young readers. It walks you through different periods and famous people/locations (even if the descriptions are a bit unvaried and sterotypical). As an adult reader, it left something to be desired.
CLM
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to CLM by: Ward School Library
I read most of Lloyd Alexander at my grade school library, and this was my favorite other than the Prydain series.
Lara Mi

Jason's cat Gareth can speak to humans - if he wants to. Not only that, but he can travel through time. When he feels the time is right, he takes Jason on a journey that leads them from Ancient Egypt to the American civil war where they get tangled up in tricky situations and befriend more than just one other cat.

This book is easily summed up by calling it a disappointment. It's certainly not a bad book or story - it's just that it had so much promise but ultimately turned out to be neither her
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Guest Review by Emma age 8
Time cat is about a boy named Jason and his cat Gareth. One day, Jason is sent to his room for punching his little brother. Frustrated and angry, he says “I wish I had nine lives.” And to his surprise, Gareth says “I do too.”

This is the start of nine magical adventures for Jason and Gareth that take them from Ancient Egypt to America just before the Revolution.

What I liked best about this book is that it’s very suspenseful. I couldn’t put it down! I really cared about t
Christian
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Essentially nine fables wrapped in a thin frame tale. But when there are both cats and time travel involved, how could it not be fun?

Here's the first paragraph, to give you an idea of the Lloyd Alexander style:

"Gareth was a black cat with orange eyes. Sometimes, when he hunched his shoulders and put down his ears, he looked like an owl. When he stretched, he looked like a trickle of oil or a pair of black silk pajamas. When he sat on a window ledge, his eyes half-shut and his tail curled around
Rosemary
Alexander's first children's book. The writing was good, but I felt the premise was weak - Gareth the cat says that he didn't see much sense in time travelling as a tourist, then proceeds to do just that.

The Prydain Chronicles by the same author are much better.
Julia
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful coming-of-age tale that is unmatched by any other. In this simply written book the author doesn't only take the opportunity to use the mysterious happenings of his own cat to come up with an idea but also takes the local lore and the history of the cat to provide the reading with a daring adventurous read that will also allow them to have a clean starting look into our own history even as we learn more about ourselves.

The author's writing is simple and easy to follow while there sh
Erin Park
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summary: One day, Jason finds Gareth talking, and Gareth tells Jason the myth of cats having nine lives is actually false, but he can take Jason to nine different places and times. They visit countries from Egypt, Rome, to Japan, and America in the time scene of ancient times from 2700 B.C. through 998 A.D. to 1775. All of these settings have the connection of cats and they differ a lot. Some of them believe the cats are their gods and some think they are evil creatures. This book gives a wide-r ...more
A reread of something I enjoyed as a kid. My sister spotted this one at a sale and grabbed it for me as she does most books that are fantasy, cat, or child related anymore. I was happy to see this again as it's probably been 20 years(?) since I read it.
I'm going to be keeping it on my self for my children, especially since we have a black cat of our own and I love seeing the historical lessons woven in.
Shaun
A charming journey through time with a cat for a tour guide. It's a fairly fun and lighthearted look at several moments in history. The moments themselves are not terribly connected, but have similar themes running throughout. I'd suggest it to any kid interested in history or cats for that matter.
Kara
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Llloyd Alexander never fails to provide a wonderful tale with some beautiful language.

"When he sat on a window ledge, his eyes half-shut and his tail curled around him, he looked like a secret."

I'll admit that I'm focusing on shorter books so I can get some semblance of a finished goodreads challenge this year, but Lloyd Alexander is always a treat.
Selah Pike
A great series of adventures but we were disappointed by the ending.
Monique
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a reread of a book from childhood. It's a very cute idea - a time traveling cat with a symbolic ankh marked on his chest - but it's definitely for younger readers, never quite reaching the epic potential that I would have liked to experience reading it as an adult.
JoJo
I liked this book, it's a good book for children. I wish I had read this book when I was younger.
Irinel Finco
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
DNF at pg 99. Life is too short to waste it on this kind of books when there are really good books waiting to be read.
Margie
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
You think a cat has nine lives, but this story explains a cat has nine visits to any place or time period. Britain, Eygpt, etc. Cute stories.
Luann
If your cat could time travel, which nine places and times would he choose to visit? Well, Lloyd Alexander's cat would go to Egypt in 2700 BC, Rome and Britain in 55 BC, Ireland in 411 AD, Japan in 998 AD, Italy in 1468, Peru in 1555, The Isle of Man in 1588, Germany in 1600, and America in 1775. Lloyd Alexander's cat would also take his friend, Jason, along with him on these nine time traveling visits.

This is not your typical type of time travel. As part of his cat's time travel magic, Jason is

• Perloo The Bold
  • The Humanistic Tradition: Prehistory to the Early Modern World (The Humanistic Tradition, #1)
  • Spices: A Global History
  • Catwings Return (Catwings, #2)
  • Dangerous Games (The Wolves Chronicles, #5)
  • The Alhambra
  • The Grand Escape (Cat Pack #1)
  • The Dragon's Boy
  • Tea: A Global History (The Edible Series)
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • The Princeton Dictionary of Buddhism
  • The Violet Fairy Book
  • Gardner's Art Through the Ages, Vol 1, Chapters 1-18 (w/Artstudy Student CD-ROM & Infotrac)
  • Kokopelli's Flute
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Merlin
  • The Mabinogi and Other Medieval Welsh Tales
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
Lloyd Chudley Alexander was an influential American author of more than forty books, mostly fantasy novels for children and adolescents, as well as several adult books. His most famous contribution to the field of children's literature is the fantasy series The Chronicles of Prydain. The concluding book of the series, The High King , was awarded the Newbery Medal in 1969. Alexander's other books ...more
“Books can truly change our lives: the lives of those who read them, the lives of those who write them. Readers and writers alike discover things they never knew about the world and about themselves.” 168 likes
“The only thing a cat worries about is what's happening right now. As we tell the kittens, you can only wash one paw at a time.” 58 likes