Start by marking “The Two Princesses of Bamarre” as Want to Read:
The Two Princesses of Bamarre

The Two Princesses of Bamarre

(The Two Princesses of Bamarre #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  64,553 ratings  ·  2,288 reviews
When plague strikes Bamarre, Princess Addie must fulfill an ancient prophecy.

Brave and adventurous, Princess Meryl dreams of fighting dragons and protecting the kingdom of Bamarre. Shy and fearful, Princess Addie is content to stay within the safety of the castle walls. The one thing that the sisters share is their unwavering love for each other.

The tables are turned, howe
Published April 24th 2012 by HarperCollins (first published March 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Princesses of Bamarre, please sign up.
Ashley Stangl No, it's set in a different world with very different magical creatures. However, there is a prequel, "The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre" coming out later…moreNo, it's set in a different world with very different magical creatures. However, there is a prequel, "The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre" coming out later this yeat.(less)

·  64,553 ratings  ·  2,288 reviews

Lola

Follow Princess Addie as she is overcoming her fears in order to find a cure for her sister who had the mischance to fall into the claws of the Gray Death. This is a charming adventure brimming with princesses, dragons, elves, fairies, ogres, sorcerers and magic! Over and above that, it explores the themes of sisterly love and courage. Even a coward can be transformed into a knight. It can absolutely make a beautiful storytelling for children.
Emilyn
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Madie
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: some-of-the-best
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT BOOK!!!!!!
Fables&Wren
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

Starting off the new year correctly with a book about two sisters. One sister is a courageous blonde ready to find the cure to Sir Grey Death and the other is a brunette who is a coward who has to find her strength.

Meryl is the older sister. She dreams of fighting the dragons and rescuing her people from all the foes, including those small enough like Sir Grey Death.

The Grey Death is a long, drawn out processes that eventually kills its victim. With the cure prophesied, there i
Brigid ✩
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Ella Enchanted
I love this book!!! Even though Ella Enchanted is Gail Carson Levine's most well-known book, I think that The Two Princesses of Bamarre is her best book. It's really exciting, but also well-written. If you love Ella Enchanted, this is the book for you.
Naomi Brist
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've grown up with this story. To say that it has had an impact on my life is an incredible and unforgivable understatement. Everyone knows this author because of Ella Enchanted, but I believe that this book is much, much greater. It has romance, monsters, action, magic, and adventure; all things that people look for and enjoy in a good book. But what really makes this story great is not any of those things. What makes it great is how a young woman who is afraid of everything ventures out into a ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls who are into those wimpy Disney princesses and anyone who wants to read a good adventure
Shelves: young-adult
This book is so good!

It did take me a while to get into it. The first half or so of the book is kind of slow going. Two sisters. One is bold. One is shy. Yawn.

But then in the middle, when the shy sister has to leave the castle to save her beloved sister's life, it gets REALLY exciting. Specters. Gryphons. Dragons. Battles. WOW! I could hardly put it down at that point.

There's also a story within a story, a legend of the kingdom, and it is as well done as the main story.

The almost end had me bawl
Victoria Lynn
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually liked this one better than Ella Enchanted or Fairest. Now one of my fave fantasy stories!
C.B. Cook
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites, own
Review to come!
Corinna
Loved the sibling dynamic of this book. I read this years ago, but that still sticks out to me.
Sabrina Stoutamyer
This book is one of the first fantasy novels I ever read. It's one I loved from beginning to end, and it's one that I never tire of reading over and over again. It's the only book I've read more times than I can count on my one hand and several more on the other. This is an awesome read with great morals about finding courage in a world that is against you doing so. It's about family and the beauty of being there for each other, even if you're not quiet the same. It's got poetry, dragons, action ...more
Sydney Cornwall
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eng-356
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
I didn't think that Gail Carson Levine could write anything more spectacular than Ella Enchanted. I'm not going to say that The Two Princesses of Bamarre was better than Ella Enchanted, but it definitely was as good as it.

Addie and Meryl had such a great relationship. I loved reading about them, and how Addie was willing to risk her life to save her sister from the Gray Death.

Rhys...sigh. Oh, Rhys. He's a very attractive sorceror, and I loved him! Gail Carson Levine created a romance that wasn
Katie
I THINK I read this before, but I can't say for sure.

Anyway, this was good, but I don't think it entirely holds up for an adult reader. I needed the relationships to be fleshed out more, both the romance and the sibling relationship.

But I did like the bare bones of the story a lot.

Re-read February 2016

Hahaha, well, this time I KNOW I read it before, but I couldn't remember much at all about it until I started reading. Then I remembered more.

I do think it's not quite subtle enough for my adult ta
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Someone wise once said, “Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision.” Today, I applaud just how true this statement is.

This book should be read by everyone, especially the young ones. It’s one great adventure and it teaches valuable life lessons! Princesses Meryl and Addie each know their strengths. I am pleased to report that at the end of the book, they find out that they are capable of doing more! Personally, my favorite is Addie’s transformation from a scaredy cat to a warrior princess.. and
Megan
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was really cute! It's written in the first person, which was a change, as few of the books I read are, and the protagonist of the story is Princess Addie, a sweet but cowardly girl who couldn't be more different than her sister, Meryl. Princess Meryl is courageous and longs for adventures where she can kill dragons, gryphons, and ogres. Addie would rather stay safe at home and wishes for peace, not wars like her sister. The two are even opposites in appearance. Addie has dark brown hai ...more
Audrey
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favortie-books
At first, I thought that since this book was going to be too princess-y, and medieval time-ish, I asked myself, "Why bother?"

My conscious had told me, "Suck it up and read it fool. You'll like it. You always like princesses, now."

And I did. Like it, I mean. This wonderful, original story has been on of my favorites. I loved it! I don't remember much, but I do remember about the princess thinking she was frail, weak, not strong at all like the older one, going on a bunch of journeys. She had
Haley S
In one of my very early post, I listed some of my favorite books. This book was, and still is, on that list! From the first time I read this to the most current, I still am intrigued every time I turn the first page. I mean, monsters, diseases, poems, heroes, dangers, desperation, romance—those few words definitely mean it has to be a good book.

Gail Carson Levine is just an amazing author. I love her books, Ella Enchanted and Ever. They are great. However, I can’t say that this is my favorite ou
Katie
Step follows step,
Hope follows Courage,
Set your face towards danger,
Set your heart on victory.

This was one of my favorite books growing up - I love the focus on the strength of family bonds and the idea that you can be afraid, yet still be brave and strong.
Rachel'sbookishworld
A fun, easy-to-read, feel-good fantasy.
Jessica
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 12 And Up
Shelves: fantasy
Cute and funny (like all of Gail Carson Levine's books! :D)!!

Gail Carson Levine here creates a fairy tale of her own and gives it a characteristic grrrl-power twist. Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a
Melanti
Why, oh why, do heroes with seven league boots never know trigonometry? It would save so much time when you only need to go five leagues...

Still, a very fun story. I forgive her for writing Fairest. In the afterword, Levine mentions that this story was originally envisioned as a re-telling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses tale. It's hard to imagine something more different than that story!
Lizzy
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dragons, ogers ,fairies this book is evrything!
Hallie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for the 2016 Book Battle, but didn't work for me. Partly because she's *twelve*, and his efforts at hand-waving the fact away don't work against the fact that he's an adult and she isn't.
Tara Higgins
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book so many times! I love it!
kai jiang
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember picking this book up once in fifth grade and not enjoying it very much, mind you, I didn't get too far into the story, but in the few pages I read, The Two Princesses of Bamarre didn't manage to capture my attention.

In the following years, I read many of Gail's other books and loved each and every one, but I was always a little wary of Two Princesses and never ended up giving it another chance. However, with the release of it's sequel, I finally decided that maybe I should pick it up
Loretta Marchize
Small Review
I've heard nothing but fantastic things about Gail Carson Levine, but for some reason I had it in my head that she wrote "simple" stories. Maybe they were good, but I just wasn’t expecting all that much from them. My only exposure had been watching the movie Ella Enchanted (cute, but nothing amazing) and one of her fairy short stories (again, cute, but forgettable). Granted, not a fair account, but that’s where I was. I had picked up this copy at a garage sale and finally decided to read it (ful ...more
Jami
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jami by: Shandi
I liked this book. It was a fairly fast-paced, fun adventure. Two sisters, the princesses of the kingdom of Bamarre, at first glance appear to be very different. Meryl is brave and desperate for adventure. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful of everything, particularly of losing her sister.

What transpires is that Addie must embark on an adventure to save her sister. She discovers her own courage, and in the end works with a small group of brave Bamarrians to save the day.

I liked the descriptio
Hayley Larson
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Gail Carson Levine captivated me once again with her tale, "the Two Princesses of Bamarre." This was also one of my favorite books in middle school and I read it more than once. I could really connect with the story because I also have a sister who I would do anything for and even though we are different, we get along and really help each other out. As you may have guessed the story tells about two sisters whose father rules over the kingdom of Bamarre which for some time has been plagued with t ...more

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
  • Princess Ben
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
  • Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella
  • Once Upon a Curse
  • Song of the Wanderer
  • Goose Chase
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • The Great Good Thing (The Sylvie Cycle, #1)
  • Wolf Wing (Claidi Journals, #4)
  • Close Kin (The Hollow Kingdom Trilogy, #2)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo

The Two Princesses of Bamarre (2 books)
  • The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #0.5)
“Step follows step,
Hope follows Courage,
Set your face towards danger,
Set your heart on victory.”
553 likes
“Drualt took Freya's warm hand,
Her strong hand,
Her sword hand,
And pressed it to his lips,
Pressed it to his heart.
Come with me,' he said.
Come with me to battle,
My love. Tarry at my side.
Stay with me