Start by marking “Flush” as Want to Read:
Flush

Flush

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  27,629 ratings  ·  2,649 reviews
Take a romp in the swamp with this New York Times bestselling mystery adventure set in the Florida Keys from Newbery Honoree Carl Hiaasen!

Noah's dad is sure that the owner of the Coral Queen casino boat is flushing raw sewage into the harbor--which has made taking a dip at the local beach like swimming in a toilet. He can't prove it though, and so he decides that sinking t
Published September 13th 2005 by Alfred A. Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

·  27,629 ratings  ·  2,649 reviews

Start your review of Flush
Barbara
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it

This is one of Carl Hiaasen's middle-grade books. Like the author's adult novels, it tells an amusing story while addressing the topic of environmentalism and conservation in south Florida.🌴🌺🐠

*****

Eleven-year-old Noah Underwood's dad, Paine Underwood, is an environmentalist who's very protective of the Florida Keys - where the family lives.

So when Paine learns that Dusty Muleman - crooked owner of the casino-boat Coral Queen - regularly (and illegally) dumps the ship's toilet waste int
Lars Guthrie
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might come to ‘Flush’ with two preconceptions.

Carl Hiaasen writes adult thrillers with a satirical tenor, often featuring characters from the trailer trash end of the social spectrum. So it’s likely that his children’s books will retain a bit of that edge.

Those adult thrillers, and Hiaasen’s books for younger readers, focus on environmentalism, so it’s likely that ‘Flush’ centers on that kind of issue.

Your preconceptions would be proven true.

The tone of ‘Flush’ is sardonic. It features a ba
Lauren
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Flush is a very good book it shows what people could risk for animals and nature. The boy in this book has a Dad that has been in jail many times when he was trying to protect wildlife. Wach him take a step while his dad is in jail and to prove that his dad is right.
Carmen Tryka
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lord
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
A tenacious book which addresses to one of the global issues nowadays - pollution. The rate of pollution in every country is so alarming and despite of the support of the goverment to alleviate or rather eradicate the pollution cases, still there are individuals who would not participate. This book is best fit in educating children upon the effects of pollution. Such an effective way in conveying moral lessons to the young readers.

3.5 stars.
Carol Baldwin
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FLUSH: An Example of What Every Book Should Include

I can't help myself. Whenever I read a book I'm always analyzing how the author pulls it off. How does he or she weave together the different elements needed to produce an engaging book for young readers?

My recent read, FLUSH by Carl Hiaasen, is a great example of this type of book. It has:

A great beginning that hooks the reader

The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my s
Neil (or bleed)
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flush is a page-turner middle grade novel. It's an adventure on saving the environment, facing family struggles, and overcoming your bullies. It's an enjoyable read for an adult like me. But, I agree, with some of the reviews I've read that sometimes the book is too crass for children. ...more
Andrea
After reading Hoot, I couldn't resist reading all of Carl Hiassen's young adult fiction for myself. I blew through this book in two nights. Absolutely fantastic! Another tale of environmental activism by young people and how it changes the world around them. I want to read this to my son before he loses that "I can do ANYTHING!" feeling that only the young and unscarred possess.

The book starts with Noah visiting his father in jail. He's there because he sank a casino boat after finding out that,
Shelley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No offense to you guys in Florida, but y'all weird. I have a theory that the weirdness is caused by not participating in winter and residents having an excess amount of vitamin D. Cohabitating with dinosaurs in the form of alligators, various snakes and lizards, and manatees might also play a factor. Carl Hiaasen does a great job of capturing that weird essence.

Flush is a fun story about sinking a casino boat because human waste was being dumped into protected water. If you have ever worked on
August
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good book. It is about a rich person illegally hurting nature. Great book.
Caitlin L
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recently finished, "Flush" by: Carl Hiaasen. It starts out kind of slow, but the more you read, the more you want to know! "Flush" is about a curious, determined boy, Noah Underwood, his tough, persistent sister Abbey, and their peculiar father who will stand up for anything that he thinks is right. Noah's dad gets put in jail for sinking skinflint Dusty Muleman's casino boat, The Coral Queen. Noah's dad didn't do this for no good reason at all, the truthful reason is that he thinks Dusty is f ...more
Angela
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, read-in-2018
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It was a quick and easy read, and made me laugh out loud!
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)

Another enjoyable story set in my part of the world.

This review and others like it can be found at Lazy Day Literature

Noah Underwood's father has ended up in jail for sinking a casino boat that he swears is dumping raw sewage into the harbor. But Paine Underwood failed to obtain proof beforehand and before they know it the boat is repaired and back in working condition. Knowing their father is telling the truth, Noah and his little sister, Abby, attempt to catch Dusty Muleman and his
John
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed a piece of light fluff to read after the last novel I tackled, which erred somewhat on the worthwhile'n'earnest side. In Flush I found exactly what I sought . . . with the added bonus of a worthwhile'n'earnest subtext to assuage my conscience.

On the Florida Keys, teenager Noah Underwood's dad has the bad/good habit of going ballistic when crass, greedy people destroy the environment. His latest escapade, scuttling a casino ship whose owner has, to save money, been pumping the craft's ra
Alex
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
If this is his first into the kids genre then I understand it's flaws, I do not forgive them but I understand. If this is not his first kids book then he totally messed up on this one. His crassness is unnecessary, and his approach to things like murder and alcoholism was ham handed. His other two that I've read were better and if you are a kid and you have a super love for Hiaasen then I guess go ahead and read this, but don't make this your first.

A boy and his sister are trying to prove that
Richard Due
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Carl Hiaasen juvenile books are dream reads. Dream reads are those special books where you open the pages and fall into a story so convincingly real it's like you're standing next to the characters, smelling what they smell, seeing what they see, and feeling what they feel. Thank you, Mr. Hiaasen, for taking me to Florida and showing me a place I haven't been to since I was a boy. ...more
Valerie
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ian
I thought this book had one of the most brilliant opening lines of any YA book. I read it aloud to #1 son, and he snatched the book from my hands and proceeded through Hoot as well.
The Captain
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! A while back I was introduced to this author because of a cat on the cover of scat. I enjoyed that book so much that I decided to listen to all of Hiaasen’s other juvenile books. This be a review of the other four books: hoot, flush, chomp, squirm. These books have some common themes. All of them involve a young boy who lives in Florida, gets bullied, loves animals, has a quirky sense of humor, makes new friends, and saves the day. Weird names also seem to be a trend. While ...more
kylie (allegedly)
im pro-abbey and anti-poop. this is the only book i've ever read that made me consider liking florida ...more
Victor The Reader
Flush: My Kindle Review

While “Flush” nearly has the same premise as “Hoot” but instead centering on illegal dumping in public waters and a jailbird dad, it’s still a wildly exciting read for anyone who likes a “good guys vs bad buys” story. A (100%/Outstanding)
Angie Miles
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I forgot how funny it was, and I was rooting for them the whole time the operation was underway!
Reed
Apr 28, 2017 added it
This book really gives insight to readers on what is wrong with the real world. The characters show emotion and really tie everything together with each character having a certain role. There are character you will love and characters you will loathe. You love to hate Dusty and his son. You feel bad for the father and realize that he is perfectly sane.
Chloe O'neal
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Noah's dad tries to get back at Dusty, for putting the holding tank in the ocean, by sinking his casino ship, Coral Queen. He has to go to jail on fathers’ day. Noah and Abbey try to prove that there dad is right by making up this crazy plan that includes sneaking into the Coral Queen. Read the book to find out what happens next.
The main characters in the book are Dad and Noah. Dad, Paine, he has some anger issues. When he gets something on his mind he will do whatever it takes to get them t
Lexi
May 19, 2011 added it
Mike French
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Carl Hiaasen once again has written a tremendous book for the entire family!Grandparents,Parents,kids and grandkids will enjoy this book. Very enjoyable and entertaining for all!
Beatrix Haase
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-like, 2015
2/5 stars

I did not like this book because it was to predictable and easy. I did not enjoy it.

xoxo,
Bebe

I am going to give Hoot a try. I am probably not going to like it though.

Chance Lee
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, j-fic
I listened to this on a particularly slow day substituting at the library. The reader has a nice voice, although he has a tendency to rush a bit. Maybe it comes with the genre, trying to sound excited?
I don't know.

I didn't finish it, but the plot was entertaining. This book tows the line between J and YA fiction tropes. The main character's dad isn't completely absent but, as a hot-headed environmental activist, often gets his family into trouble, leaving the kids to clean it up. However, unlike
Stephanie  Weatherly
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this middle grades read. A nice mixture of mystery, adventure, & humor.
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read Hoot by Hiaasen and absolutely loved it, so I was excited to continue on with Hiaasen's middle grade series and read this book. I didn't like Flush quite as much as Hoot, there just wasn't as much mystery. That being said it was still a very good and entertaining book; it touches heavily on environmentalism, corrupt business practice, and family issues.

Noah Underwood's father has sunk a gambling ship and been thrown in jail. Noah's dad is positive that the gambling ship is emptying sewage
Nathan Sapal
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I was fairly entertained by it and everything that happened in it.

The story started with boy named Noah Underwood who lives a easy life in the Florida Keys with his family. Then suddenly his dad goes to jail, while visiting him in jail he finds out that his dad went to jail for sinking a gambling boat called "The Coral Queen". His dad did this because he find out that the boat was dumping their sewage into the marine, and so his dad told him and shoe was all for taking down "
Play Book Tag: Flush by Carl Hiaasen 3 stars 1 4 Oct 31, 2020 03:24PM
The Midnight Readers: Flush (Aria & Shea) 8 51 Jul 30, 2020 05:32PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover. 2 13 Jun 09, 2020 08:00PM
Zeta Book Recomme...: Flush Review Isabelle Crespo 1 3 Feb 06, 2019 06:54PM

• Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • Poached (FunJungle, #2)
  • World Without  Fish
  • Guts & Glory: The Vikings
  • Big Game (FunJungle, #3)
  • Bud, Not Buddy
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation (Charlie Thorne #1)
  • Space Case (Moon Base Alpha, #1)
  • Tyrannosaurus Wrecks (FunJungle, #6))
  • The Book of Blood: From Legends and Leeches to Vampires and Veins
  • Spy School Revolution
  • Al Capone Does My Shirts (Tales from Alcatraz, #1)
  • The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi
  • Finding the Worm (Twerp Sequel)
  • A Mango-Shaped Space
  • Ungifted (Ungifted, #1)
  • Spy School Secret Service (Spy School, #5)
  • My Very UnFairy Tale Life (My Very UnFairy Tale Life, #1)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida, he joined the Miami Herald as a general assignment reporter and went on to work for the newspaper’s weekly magazine and prize-winning investigations team. As a journalist and author, Carl has spent most of his life advocating for the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family live in southern ...more