Start by marking “Kensuke's Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Kensuke's Kingdom

Kensuke's Kingdom

When Michael is washed up on an island in the Pacific after falling from his parent's yacht, the Peggy Sue, he struggles to survive on his own. But he soon realises there is someone close by, someone who is watching over him and helping him to stay alive. Following a close-run battle between life and death after being stung by a poisonous jelly fish, the mysterious someone ...more
Published 2005 by Egmont (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Kensuke's Kingdom, please sign up.
Andrew Sammut Kensuke is an old man who is kind and caring. He was a doctor during the war after all. He experiences some traumatic experiences throughout his life …moreKensuke is an old man who is kind and caring. He was a doctor during the war after all. He experiences some traumatic experiences throughout his life and learns some very valuable lessons. I rated it 5 stars because it was written brilliantly and fast-paced. I could also feel like I was one of the characters!!(less)

Start your review of Kensuke's Kingdom
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what's happening. Almost every book I picked up to read this week is making me cry. Do I regret it? Heck, no! I am so glad it's happening.

This book is so good. Being a children's book, I thought I would love it for the innocence in the writing and the illustrations. But heck, no (again!) I enjoyed it for what it is. Full of adventure, full of Robinson Crusoe vibes. The book offers a story about family, pets, animals, the sea and its numerous creatures, an island nestling a forest an
MissInformation
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grade 4-6
Shelves: jbooks
Kensuke’s Kingdom is an adventure story about an eleven year old boy and his dog who get ship-wrecked on a remote island. The boy Michael has been on a pleasant sail around the world with his parents when suddenly he falls overboard in the middle of the night. Awakening on a beach, he has few survival skills and little hope. Mysteriously, food and water appear near his cave. Michael is not alone on the island, but his benefactor chooses to remain hidden. Only when the boy tries to build a signal ...more
Anna
Sep 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: My friends
This book was amazing, anyone who reads it at first might or probably will find it boring, however it soon begins to get exciting. Plus the more you read it, the more you want to carry on reading. I found this book very fascinating and interesting and what i think of Michael Morpurgo is that he is a very talented writer and i do know that he has written many other books and he really has inspired and encouraged me to read more of his books. I really would recommend this to anyone aged from 9-11 ...more
Dem
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dem by: My Son
My son is reading this book at school with his class and I decided to read it as well as he said he would like to be able to discuss it with me because he found it so exciting, I love to read a Michael Morpurgo book every now and again as I love his writing and one of my favourite books by Michael Morpurgo is Private Peaceful so was quite happy to read Kensuke's Kingdom.

The story is about Michael a twelve year old boy who gets washed up on an island in the pacific, Michael struggles to survive
Tahera
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kensuke's Kingdom is a story of an eleven year old boy Michael who gets washed up on an island on the eve of his 12th birthday and meets an old man by the name of Kensuke who has lived alone on the island for 40+ years. During the months Michael is stranded on the island, he and Kensuke form a bond of close friendship and learn to live together as a family but at the same time Michael never loses faith and hope that he will meet his parents again one day.

I have made a pact with myself to read as
James
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A deceptively simple and straightforward story - so brilliantly written and without a doubt up their with Morpurgo's very best. As with all classic 'children's literature' this transcends any confines of the genre.
HP Saucerer
A wonderfully stirring story of companionship, love, hope and anguish, brilliantly told through the eyes of Michael - the book’s brave protagonist. There are light-hearted moments of joy and laughter, yet also moments of great sadness. An utterly compelling read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A recommended read for children in Upper KS2.
Paula
Oct 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
this book follows michael and his parents on a trip of a lifetime around the world. they give up thier jobs, pack their belongings onto the 'peggy sue' and off they set. sounds like a fairy tale doesn't it...

michael falls over board and ends up being washed up on an island with only one other inhabitant - kensuke!

this story is one of immense emotion and explores friendship and loyalty. it shows the true spirit of human nature and will bring a tear to the hardest 11 year old (yes, i cried too!)

ev
Rachel
Aug 23, 2019 marked it as not-sure
Shelves: 100-pages, books-mg
Note to Self - to read depends on what Scarlett thinks when she is finished with it. 😊
GoldGato
Children should always have at least one book about far-off adventures that involve the treacherous seas. This slim volume about a boy and his dog and orangutans on an island is just about a perfect read for child and/or adult.

The boy and his parents decide to set aside the usual landlubber life and take off on a voyage aboard their sailboat. Everything goes well until the boy and his dog fall off the boat and end up on an island full of mystery. There seems to be someone else living there, a re
Stella❤️ 孔凡星
2.5* read this for french class
Kathi
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filip, borrowed
4,5! I enjoyed this so incredibly much! If only it were a bit longer, so I could've spent more time with Michael and Kensuke instead of leaving them so early. The book reminded me of The Island of the Blue Dolphins (one of my favourite books as a child) in the best way possible, and I can't get over what an adorable and mesmerzing read it was. Truly magical in its beauty, with just the perfectly right amount of bittersweetness, melancholy and emotion without being too sappy or on-the-nose at the ...more
Fred
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: birthday-2017
Received this reread for my birthday. Would highly recommend, it is a great book!
Derek
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This enchanting tale is full of emotive storylines throughout - love, compassion, hope, despair, envy, trust, fear and jealousy are just some of the feelings that are expertly portrayed by the inimitable Michael Morpurgo.

The story tells of a 12 year old boy, Michael who lives with his parents and his dog - Stella Artois - in a normal family home. One day Michael's father loses his job, and as there are no more available where they live, the family decide to follow a dream and use dad's redundanc
Jim
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
For a long time Michael, his parents and the fourth member of the family a dog named Stella are having a great time sailing around the world in their yacht the Peggy Sue. Sure they had some rough times, very natural when you decide to do something like that, but they always had each other. Till one day, during a storm, Michael and Stella fell off Peggy Sue. When Michael opens his eyes again he finds himself in a very small island in the middle of nowhere.

That's where he will meet Kensuke and tha
Foster.
Nov 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Year 4 =.=
ooo i didn't like this at the start but then it got quite exciting then boring again.
but an OKAY book.
Caroline
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Kensuke's Kingdom is a wonderful story of survival and friendship as it takes you away as Michael, a boy out with his family on the ultimate adventure. Michael and his family are going to live aboard the Peggy Sue, (boat). His family consists of a mother, father, and dog, Stella Artois. Drifted away in a storm, Michael and Stella end up on an island and are reluctantly accepted into Kensuke's, (a World War II veteran who hasn't left the island since the war was over) world. Personally, the novel ...more
Jx PinkLady Reviews ♡ @bookwormthoughts

"𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙞𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙘𝙤𝙡𝙙 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙚𝙖 𝙗𝙚𝙛𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙄 𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣 𝙤𝙥𝙚𝙣 𝙢𝙮 𝙢𝙤𝙪𝙩𝙝 𝙩𝙤 𝙨𝙘𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙢."

A modern day Robinson Crusoe story for young people (9+) and their family. A really fab read, that I enjoyed reading with my children. I found it prompted lots of discussion which is a really great thing when reading with kids.

#recommendedread #adventurestory

Mathew
The first thing that struck me, before I remember reading the story was seeing a picture of one of Michael Foreman's waves and noting that it looked a lot like the painting 'The Great Wave Off Kanagawa' with Mount Fuji in the background. This is a metaphor, somewhat, for ying and yang and I liked the idea of Japanese culture being inherently there, in the background at all times.

Part of the narrative format is through diary entries and maps - I imagine children would enjoy plotting the route of
Zanna
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this with a student and enjoyed the story. The book has very attractive illustrations, and it kept an cynical and ultra fidgety 13 year old well entertained, if not still
Luke Nicholls
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
SBC3 2020

I'm a big fan of Morpurgo's work, particularly his earlier novels. I think this is one of his strongest, perhaps behind only Why The Whales Came, and Private Peaceful. It's a gripping adventure story- but lends itself brilliantly to deeper study and reflection, as there are many other novels and narrative threads to be found under the surface.
Alex  Baugh
It’s 1988 and Michael, 11, is a pretty content kid until the day a letter arrives laying off both of his parents. After that, a “creeping misery” settled over the house, until the day Michael’s dad heads south to seek new opportunities. New opportunities are a total surprise to Michael and his mother when they arrived somewhere near Southhampton and discover his dad has bought a bought and has plans for the family to sail around the world.

And sail they do, even bringing along Stella Artois, the
Hassan Ali
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book review 10 – Kensuke’s Kingdom – Michael Morpurgo

I first saw this book on the bookshelf in a year 6 classroom. The whole class was doing a ‘big writing’ piece on the text so I took the book home and was surprised it’s flowing and gripping nature. Kensuke’s Kingdom will have an appeal for both young and old and it is an exciting adventure story about a boy called Michael. Michael, Stella Artois (his pet dog) and parents, set of on the ultimate adventure on-board Peggy Sue (a boat) and they s
Lisa
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-children
It has a dog on the cover, so I have to put it on my list to read!

Despite the dog on the cover, the book is mostly about a boy that is a castaway on an island with his dog. This is currently a Book Bowl book for Henrico County 5th graders. It is easy to read and very interesting. I really enjoyed reading it!
Silvia Cachia
Mar 20, 2018 added it
Shelves: ya
I loved this book. I just remembered I read it to the girls several years ago.
Francesca Lee
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
This book tells the story of a young boy called Michael who ends up going on an adventure after getting lost at sea thrown overboard om the boat he is staying on with his Mum and Dad sailing around the world. After reading this book in school as a class with my teacher a few years ago now I decided to read it again to refresh my memory as I remembered really liking it. I found it strange reading it from being an adult now but still found it just as enjoyable. The book would be easy for primary s ...more
Kirsty
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Kensuke's Kingdom is one of my absolute favourite childhood books. I first read almost the entirety of it aloud when it was chosen for our class reading time in Year Six, and have been enraptured in the wonder and adventure of the story each time I have picked it up since. A wonderful novel, with fantastic passages of writing, and an engaging narrator.
Merri Jordan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Studied this when I was at school in year 5, I remember thoroughly enjoying the unit of work on this book.
Shaun
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kensuke’s Kingdom, winner of the children’s book award is one I was fortunate to read and work with whilst employed as an LSA in 2012. Within a year 5 class we studied every inch of this book for over a month as a literacy topic. Given this time frame the book was enthralling from beginning to end and left every child wanting to know more everytime the book was put down. This to me is the telling sign of an excellent read.

There are 5 main characters in the book, Michael, Mum, Dad, Stella Artois
Lyvia
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it

Kensuke's Kingdom is a touching children's book about friendship and the price we pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place.

The story follows twelve year old Michael, who washes up on an island in the Pacific Ocean. While struggling to survive and to find a way back home, Michael soon discovers that he is not alone on the island...

This was a short read with an easy language level, yet I still wished the plot would have moved a bit faster at some points.
Neverthele
family bonds, war 1 1 Mar 26, 2020 09:10AM

• An Inspector Calls
  • Good Night, Mr. Tom
  • Street Child
  • Varjak Paw  (Varjak Paw #1)
  • Journey to the River Sea
  • The Amazing Tale of Ali Pasha
  • Gangsta Granny
  • Skellig (Skellig, #1)
  • Hetty Feather (Hetty Feather, #1)
  • Candyfloss
  • The Beast of Buckingham Palace
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
  • Stig of the Dump
  • My Sister Jodie
  • The Twits
  • Viking Boy
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
Sir Michael Andrew Morpurgo, OBE, FRSL is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the Second World War, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, ...more