Start by marking “Here Lies the Librarian” as Want to Read:
Here Lies the Librarian

Here Lies the Librarian

Peewee idolizes Jake, a big brother whose dreams of auto mechanic glory are fueled by the hard road coming to link their Indiana town and futures with the twentieth century. And motoring down the road comes Irene Ridpath, a young librarian with plans to astonish them all and turn Peewee’s life upside down.This novel, with its quirky characters, folksy setting, classic cars ...more
Published April 20th 2006 by Dial Books

Annet
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to know the author Richard Peck from A long way from Chicago and A year down yonder and The teacher's funeral. Loved these books and this one is no different. Fun & quirky and 'darn' entertaining. Around 3.8. Have to select a new Richard Peck from his considerable list of books for next year.... Fun! Great distraction from the 'heavier stuff'. 'Quirky characters, folksy setting, deliciously wicked comedy, classic cars and hilariously larger-than-life moments'.... vintage Peck that is! ...more
Melki
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
When a twister touches down in a small Indiana town in 1914, it sets off a strange chain of events.

Though the old library building stood abandoned, the storm broke out the front window. But the only book known to escape was Tales from the New Testament Retold for the Littlest Christians. It sailed down the street to knock the sign off the pool hall. Certain local elements said it was the hand of providence.

Now, that library had been closed since the formidable librarian, Electra Dietz, had died
Kimberly Francisco
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Kimberly Francisco by: my mother
This is a great little book that I breezed through very quickly. It's an historical fiction set in early 20th century USA, when the automobile was just beginning to make its mark. After the old librarian dies in a twister - "Heaven stamped her overdue" - four new librarians from Butler University show up to take her place and bring some excitement to the town. The story is narrated by 8th grader Peewee McGrath and is set in a rural town in Indiana, a place so small it doesn't even have its own n ...more
Patricia
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Richard Peck loves librarians. Librarians love Richard Peck. I think that he wrote this book to dispel the notion that all librarians are mean, dowdy, and old. That description applies to the old librarian whose grave is shown on the cover (with a gravestone that says Shh!).

A small town in Indiana is shamed into hiring a new librarian, and ends up hiring three -- they come as a package deal with the money that will pay for them. These three librarians are educated, kind, and beautiful, and they
Emma Jane
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another GREAT Richard Peck story. (By the way, it's officially official: Richard Peck is my new favorite author.) I loved the quirkiness and old-timey-ness of this one. And it's about librarians, so duh. The only thing that disappointed me is that I wish Jake would have married Irene instead of Grace. I think Irene deserved him. But that's just my opinion.
Rebecca McNutt
Quite a strange story, but I really enjoyed reading it. With its 20th Century nostalgia and witty humor, it's definitely unforgettable.
Evil Little Chocolate Chip
Here Lies the Librarian is my least favorite book.

Ever.
I hate it.
Everything about it.
I hate.
I wish I'd never picked it up.

Now, I'm going to be honest: I read this last year - 2016 - and I hardly remember anything about it. I remember it took me more than a month to finish. I know I didn't like anything about any of the characters. I don't even remember the protagonist's name. I know that I found all the characters to be odd and unlikeable and bland. I distinctly remember things like squashing a
Michael Fitzgerald
I found this to be a very weak also-ran when compared to Peck's previous book, The Teacher's Funeral. Crucial elements of the story were predictable - and not believable, to boot. This one isn't about teachers in early 20th century Indiana, but librarians and also incorporates automobile repair and racing. Like the earlier book (and Peck's Illinois books), this has pranks and hijinks and elderly "characters." But I'm not sure how many of these books (certainly those written by Peck) the world ne ...more
Jim
May 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Here Lies the Librarian, by author Richard Peck, is a coming-of-age young readers story set in rural 1914 Indiana, where women's suffrage and the brass (Edwardian) era of automobiles were the real cat's meow. So if you enjoy the literary combination of women's lib' and racing lore then this book will blow your freaking mind! If you don't find that tour-de-force of genre mixing interesting, well... too bad! Because that's what you get in this thrilling novel!

Peewee McGrath is a 14 year old tom-bo
Steve
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA readers of any age
Set in pre-WWI rural Indiana, this is the tale of a small town’s pair of parentless youngsters, older brother Jake, in his older teens, taking care of his younger sibling, Peewee. Jake has an automobile service business in a ramshackle shack not from the home he shares with Peewee. Peewee helps in the garage, too, and while their lack of parents is alluded to in a few wistful remembrances of the past, it is not explained in any detail. From a neighboring house, the owners of the former livery st ...more
Nicole
Dec 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: tomboys...and well, anyone
Typical Peck. By which I mean, Typical Greatness. No one pulls off the middle-grade deadpan humor quite like Peck. For example, as the neighbors gather in the storm cellar during a tornado, the protagonist states that at least this time the Colonel (an elderly adle-minded man) was wearing pants. This simple line is sandwiched in with all the rest of the sentences, given no special attention, and yet instantly calls to mind hysterical images of pantless old men flying around in a twister. Pricele ...more
Blaine DeSantis
A cute little YA book about a young girl and her brother in rural Indiana and the things that go on in their life, and the changes brought to their town by a group of young Librarians who arrive from Library Science School at Butler University. It is up an down in terms of plot and could use another 50 pages to properly wrap up the book since everything is rushed to a conclusion.
I found this book in a box of books I had in my home and read it because of and in honor of my daughter who next year
Rachel Marie
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Here Lies the Librarian Book Review This is a bizarre little book and I think the title is very misleading. It has very little to do with librarians and the library but much more about a young girl wanting to be like her older brother.

Peewee has always wanted to be just like her older brother Jack. So much so that people sometimes mistake her as a boy. They run their own auto garage and are ready to become mechanics. Then the new librarian comes to town and their lives are forever changed.

Over
Jenne
Oct 22, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, teens, reviewed
From the Newbery award winning author of “A Year Down Under”, comes an uproariously funny tale of classic automobiles, librarians and small town life.

Meet Peewee (Eleanor McGrath) a 14 year old stubborn, courageous and steadfast tomboy. She and her adored brother Jake run a struggling gas station "way out in the weeds." that rivals the bigger, wealthier and underhanded Kirby establishment. All Peewee wants is to work on cars. Jake has big dreams though, and not even a few robberies and set backs
twice_baked✌️
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, rtc
Annette
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
A sweet, simple and funny book. This one about automobiles, Indiana and independent females in 1914.
Natalie Barnes
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I laughed out loud. It's quirky and fun and I finished in a day. I loved all of the characters.
This is the second book by Richard Peck I've read and it definitely felt like the same style of writing as "The Teacher's Funeral." "I got better and better at being myself because who wants to be everybody else?"
Camie Hillegonds
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun! Basically read this in a day! A quick read that I couldn’t put down!
Karen GoatKeeper
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Exit Miss Dietz, librarian, found under the card catalog with cards clutched in her cold hand. Enter four newly graduated sorority sisters librarians in a little rural town in 1914, a town that wonders whether or not it can afford to pay for a library let alone a librarian.
Meet Peewee and Jake, orphans and proprietors of a garage fixing flats and engines for those driving by who have problems on the rutted rugged dirt roads. Except Peewee is Eleanor and 14, wanting to stay Peewee but wishing to
Mary Karlee
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Before I say anything about the book, I would like to say the title is quite misleading. This is hardly a horror story, but rather, great fiction about small town life watching their world evolve from horse and buggy to the "hard road" and the automobile. I loved the writing style and found the main character easy to identify with. I also liked that this book featured an era that I hadn't known a lot about. Fun story. :)
Vanessa
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved it! Always wanted to be a librarian as a kid. This book showed that librarians can be all that and a bag of chips!! ha ha. Little girl is a strong female character I loved to learn about. Enjoyed the "library song" and just the way Peewee talked about everything. Glad she had a good role model of a librarian. Hope that I can do that for children. read for summer reading program 2 hrs
Dawn
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Richard Peck as an author. Like his other books, this tale is funny, sometimes touching, and set in the rural midwest of the past. Peck is a master storyteller. His prose is delightful and there are some good lessons under the humor. The story also includes a surprising twist or two. This was a great one to listen to. I wasn't perfectly pleased with the ending, but it was still good.
Daria
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From the first line of this book you are automatically hooked. This book takes you back into the world of ninteen fourteen Indiana when automobiles and horses shared the roads and women were seeking suffrage. The main character, Pee-wee, is a fabulous storyteller. She brings her world to life and makes it seem like yesterday, not almost a century ago. A good book for anyone who wants a quick read.
Wendy
Aug 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tracey, Flori, Heidi, Karyn, Rose, Jenny, Mom, Jahnelle, Judy, Kris, Catherine, Emily
LOVED it. What a great audiobook (or read-aloud)! Thoughtful, funny, feminist, and historically interesting. Having lived in Indiana for 3 years, I got a big kick out of the geographical references--Crawfordsville, Terre Haute, even Beanblossom (my single most favorite place name on the map!). I'm definitely going to read more Richard Peck!
Tiana
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tiana by: Mom
Why wasn't this required reading at IU SLIS?! A book involving beautiful Library Science co-eds in Indiana? How did I missed this? It was a delightful, quirky read--made all the better by references to libraries and Indiana and libraries in Indiana. So fun!
Denise R
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect girl power book for 4th grade on up. This book kept me rolling with the funniest little comments scattered throughout. Set back in the days before women got the vote, this little book holds a big message. You can do whatever you put your mind to! All my girls are going to read this.
Stephanie
Historical fiction (set in Indiana just before WW1) centered on the changes brought to the life of a young girl by a couple of librarians new to her town (there are 4 new librarians, but we really only get to meet 2 of them). Gentle read by an author whose work never disappoints.
Cinnapatty
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book pulls you in right from the first pages. The main character reminds me a lot of Flavia de Luce, only in a back woods, countrified, grease monkey kind of way. I was chuckling at the subtle wit and humor throughout this book. A great diversion.
Carol
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fun read.
Barb
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very fun read; made me laugh and I loved that :)
Madison Mega-Mara...: #82 - Here Lies the Librarian 1 4 May 05, 2015 02:05PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #19 Here Lies the Librarian 1 1 Mar 16, 2015 04:10PM
USA Geography Cha...: Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck 1 1 Dec 29, 2014 12:58AM
  • Born to Fly
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Chicken Boy
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • A House of Tailors
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • Free Baseball
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow
  • The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had
  • Iron Thunder: The Battle Between the Monitor & the Merrimac
  • The Misadventures of Maude March (Maude March Misadventures #1)
  • The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
  • The Loud Silence of Francine Green
  • The Weirdo
  • Black Duck
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Full of Beans
Richard Peck was an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder. For his cumulative contribution to young-adult literature, he received the Margaret A. Edwards Award from the American Library Association in 1990.

“But put two librarians' heads together, and mountains move.” 25 likes