Cozy Mysteries discussion

Reading Challenges > The Twelve Towers Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 11, 2018 07:18PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
I thought it was time for something a little different. I've borrowed this challenge from the folks over at Nothing But Reading Challenges. You can find there group here:

]https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

How to Play:
You can choose your own time frame for finishing the challenge, but the goal is to read a total of 78 books. There are a total of twelve towers, or stacks of books. The description for each is described below and you get to choose the time you will to climb each of the towers. You may work on them simultaneously or at different times. The choice is up to you. You can start this challenge at any time. Just for your own records, mark your start date.

Rules
- Any media allowed (book, audio, ebook, graphic novel, etc.).
- A book only counts once, even if it fits more than one tower category. You choose where to put it.
- You can use books for this challenge as well as using them in other challenges. That's fine.

Levels and Duration
Slow and Steady - up to 5 years
Eyes on Target - up to 3 years
Quick as a Bunny - up to 2 years
Need for Speed - up to 18 months
Fast and Furious - Up to 1 year.

Mystery levels
As with all of our challenges, it is not restricted to only mystery novels, however that is an option and can make it more challenging. [I had a lil fun naming the awards after tv fictional detectives, private investigators and amateur sleuths.)

1 to 14 mystery novels - Maxwell Smart Award (Get Smart)
15 to 29 mystery novels - Thomas Magnum Award (Magnum P.I.)
30 to 49 mystery novels - Jim Rockford Award (Rockford Files)
50 to 77 mystery novels - Cagney & Lacey Award (Cagney & Lacey)
78 All mystery novels - Sherlock Holmes Award (Sherlock)
78 All cozy mystery novels - Jessica Fletcher Award (Murder, She Wrote)

The Twelve Towers

12 books that you've acquired most recently (from start date).

11 books that you never find time to get around to or that have been on your shelves the longest (pre-choose these).

10 books you randomly select from your shelves (such as by using random.org -- as you go, or pre-choose.) For a little extra bit of random fun, let someone else pick them for you off your shelves. If you've already read them, they can go on category 3, or have them choose again.

9 sequels, series continuations, or spin-offs.

8 novellas or short-stories - they can be part of anthologies, you don't have to read the whole book in this case.

7 books that everyone seems to have read but you.

6 anticipated releases (release dates after your start date).

5 books that were recommended to you via Goodreads.

4 books that you started but never finished.

3 book that you've already read before.

2 books with covers that you don't think fit the storyline or that you don't like the covers of but everyone raves about the books.

1 book that intimidates you.

SUGGESTIONS:
If you have a tower/stack that just won't work for you (ie no unfinished books, etc.), you may take a suggested tower/stack from the list below and substitute it for one of the above. The new tower must then have the same number as the tower your replacing so the overall total stays the same at 78 books.

Chunkster(s) (a book over 450 pages)
Author(s) new to you
Second Chance Authors. Retry authors who you gave up on.
A book(s) that was borrowed or that was given to you.
Award Winning Book(s)
[Multiple lists of various mystery book awards http://stopyourekillingme.com/Awards/]

message 2: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3790 comments Mod
My God, Briansgirl! This looks complicated... But let's try to be Sherlock Holmes or Jessica Fletcher 😉

I think I'll begin this weekend... with the choices. Some cathegories are going to be complicated (some of them I've not even records for them).

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

I've got a notebook where I wrote each of the different towers into, and my start date. I'll fill in as I go, except for the pre-choose towers, which I have to work on to write in soon. Remember, there is no official start date, and you can take up to 5 years to finish. So there is no need to rush unless you want to.

I thought this might be a nice change from challenges where you end up, sometimes, with books you really don't want to read. (Author whose name starts with an X! lol) It shouldn't be too terribly hard to find books to fit the different towers, within whatever genres you want to read, or what you already have on your shelves at home. It's just time consuming, as it has 78 books on the list.

Recommended via Goodreads can be books you learn about from our group.

Books that are on your shelves the longest - you can sort your TBR list here on GRs by date entered. I've got so many, I'm just going to go through those gathering dust and see what looks interesting. Conversely, you can sort by date added and find your most recently added books as well. But you aren't restricted to using just those.

To me the hardest 2 towers will be "Books that everyone seems to read but you" and "Books with cover that you don't fit the storyline or that you don't like the covers of but everyone raves about the books." I finally read "Fifty Shades of Grey", just to see what the hype was about, so can't use that again.

Also, I usually finish books, so it's rare to find one I started that has a bookmark in it that I intend to finish but haven't. I have a few I've given up on and have no intention to finish! lol But heck, I got 5 years, I'm sure I'll run across one here or there.

message 4: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

For me, those are difficult towers too... and books you've begun but not finished. When that happens, I use to remove them from the ereader and I don't remember if I've begun them.

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

The ones I have bookmarks in still lying around are things like Chicken Soup for the Soul, or a Jeremy Clarkson book about cars (He's one of the Top Gear/Grand Tour guys and my husband being British loves him.) Definetly not mysteries, lol, but would fit the category. I also read some mysteries that aren't cozy (like Stephanie Plum series), but it has a new release out this fall Look Alive Twenty-Five. I'm awaiting the first book in the All Soul's Universe Time's Convert, but that isn't a mystery either. I've got a few books to catch up on the Aunt Dimity series, then I can get it's new release due out, Aunt Dimity and the King's Ransom comes out July 24th.

Glad I have up to 5 years on this one. lol Although I doubt it'll take that long. It would take longer, of course, if you were to read only cozies.

message 6: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I agree. I think I'm going to try cozies in the beginning... and we'll see how it evolves.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments This looks like a lot of fun, but is there a way to skip tower, or maybe substitute something else instead? I *never re-read books, and like Marisa, if I don't finish a book, I have no intention of ever returning to it. I hate to skip the challenge because of seven books, but I know I won't finish those towers, even if I had twenty years to finish!

message 8: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 09, 2018 11:15PM) (new)

Hi Barb, I'd suggest that you substitute a different tower/stack into your challenge to replace the one you can't do, that's similar to the others but different. I'll think of a substitution or two and add them above.

message 9: by Barb (last edited Jul 10, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Barb | 892 comments Thanks :) For the books you started but never finished, what about revisiting authors you previously gave up on?

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (truebeliever831) | 16 comments It will probably take me all five years, but I will give it a go. I will make a cool chart

message 11: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Copp (caitkom) | 199 comments This sounds awesome, I'm in!

message 12: by Barbara (last edited Sep 23, 2019 04:59PM) (new)

Barbara Sousa | 53 comments Start Date: 7/15/18
Duration: Eyes on Target (3 years - 7/14/21 hopefully)
Goal: Cagney & Lacey or Sherlock Holmes

Tower 12 - 12 Books That I've Most Recently Acquired: - COMPLETE
1. Bikinis in Paradise by Kathi Daley (audio - 7/15/18)
2. Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam by M.C. Beaton (audio - 7/22/18)
3. **American Pharoah: The Untold Story of the Triple Crown Winner's Legendary Rise by Joe Drape (audio - 7/30/18)
4. Musseled Out by Barbara Ross (9/18/19)
5. Tightening the Threads by Lea Wait (audio - 10/31/18)
6. Sugar Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke (audio - 11/1/18)
7. After Anna by Lisa Scottoline (audio - 12/11/18)
8. Plantation Shudders by Ellen Byron (audio - 1/18/19)
9. Tart of Darkness by Denise Swanson (audio - 2/8/19)
10. Pulse by Felix Francis (audio - 3/24/19)
11. Leave No Scone Unturned by Denise Swanson (3/12/19)
12. Murder Once Removed by S.C. Perkins (4/9/19)

** Not a Mystery

Bikinis in Paradise (Tj Jensen Mystery #3) by Kathi Daley Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10) by M.C. Beaton American Pharoah The Untold Story of the Triple Crown Winner's Legendary Rise by Joe Drape Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3) by Barbara Ross Tightening the Threads (Mainely Needlepoint, #5) by Lea Wait Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6) by Joanne Fluke After Anna by Lisa Scottoline Plantation Shudders (Cajun Country Mystery, #1) by Ellen Byron Tart of Darkness (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #1) by Denise Swanson Pulse by Felix Francis Leave No Scone Unturned (Chef-to-Go Mystery #2) by Denise Swanson Murder Once Removed by S.C. Perkins

Tower 11 - 11 Books that I Haven't Found Time For/On Shelves the Longest: - COMPLETE
1. Murder at Honeychurch Hall by Hannah Dennison (8/4/18)
2. The Advocate's Daughter by Anthony Franze (audio - 8/12/18)
3. Boiled Over by Barbara Ross (8/28/18)
4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (audio - 9/24/18)
5. Murder in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon (audio - 12/4/18)
6. The Twelve Dogs of Christmas by David Rosenfelt (audio - 12/29/18)
7. Memory Man by David Baldacci (audio - 1/25/19)
8. Triple Crown by Felix Francis (audio - 2/13/19)
9. Buried in a Bog by Sheila Connolly (audio - 3/30/19)
10. **Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado (audio - 3/31/19)
11. Killer Green Tomatoes by Lynn Cahoon (audio - 4/2/19)

**Not a Mystery.

Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1) by Hannah Dennison The Advocate's Daughter by Anthony Franze Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2) by Barbara Ross And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Murder in Christmas River (Christmas River #1) by Meg Muldoon The Twelve Dogs of Christmas (Andy Carpenter, #15) by David Rosenfelt Memory Man (Amos Decker, #1) by David Baldacci Triple Crown by Felix Francis Buried in a Bog (County Cork, #1) by Sheila Connolly Anxious for Nothing Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado Killer Green Tomatoes (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #2) by Lynn Cahoon

Tower 10 - 10 Randomly Selected Books: - COMPLETE
1. Without Precedent by J.D. Trafford (Audible TBA) (audio - 5/28/19)
2. The Ex by Alafair Burke (50 books that have been on my goodreads TBR the longest) (audio - 6/2/19)
3. Espressos, Eggnogs, and Evil Exes by Harper Lin (Hoopla digital wishlist) (audio - 6/13/19)
4. Class Reunions Are Murder by Libby Klein (goodreads TBA list -- from 2017) (audio - 6/25/19)
5. Penne Dreadful by Catherine Bruns (NetGalley shelf) (7/14/19)
6. Pane and Suffering by Cheryl Hollon (kindle tbr) (7/16/19)
7. Collared by David Rosenfelt (from Audible library TBR) (7/25/19)
8. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie (from classics tbr) (7/30/19)
9. Tea Cups and Carnage by Lynn Cahoon (kindle TBR) (finished 8/6/19)
10. Crisis by Felix Francis (Audible TBR - 9/22/19)

Without Precedent by J.D. Trafford The Ex by Alafair Burke Espressos, Eggnogs, and Evil Exes (A Cape Bay Cafe Mystery #7) by Harper Lin Class Reunions Are Murder (A Poppy McAllister Mystery #1) by Libby Klein Penne Dreadful (Italian Chef Mysteries #1) by Catherine Bruns Pane and Suffering (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #1) by Cheryl Hollon Collared (Andy Carpenter, #16) by David Rosenfelt The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1) by Agatha Christie Tea Cups and Carnage (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #7) by Lynn Cahoon Crisis by Felix Francis

Tower 9 - 9 Sequels, Series Continuations or Spinoffs: - COMPLETE
1. End Game by David Baldacci (Will Robie #5) (audio - 7/20/18)
2. Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell by M.C. Beaton (Agatha Raisin # 11) (audio - 8/10/18)
3. Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came by M.C. Beaton (Agatha Raisin #12) (audio - 9/6/18)
4. The Moonstone Castle Mystery by Carolyn Keene (Nancy Drew #40) (9/22/18)
5. Sprinkle with Murder by Jenn McKinlay (Cupcake Bakery #1) (audio - 10/1/18)
6. Eaves of Destruction by Kate Carlisle (Fixer-Upper #5) (10/15/18)
7. Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate by M.C. Beaton (Agatha Raisin #13) (audio - 10/26/18)
8. Thread the Halls by Lea Wait (Mainely Needlepoint #6) (audio - 11/10/18)
9. The Diva Runs Out of Thyme by Krista Davis (audio -11/17/18)

End Game (Will Robie, #5) by David Baldacci Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11) by M.C. Beaton Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12) by M.C. Beaton The Moonstone Castle Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #40) by Carolyn Keene Sprinkle with Murder (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay Eaves of Destruction (Fixer-Upper Mystery #5) by Kate Carlisle Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13) by M.C. Beaton Thread the Halls (Mainely Needlepoint, #6) by Lea Wait The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis

Tower 8 - 8 Novellas or Short Stories: - COMPLETE
1. Bullseye by David Baldacci (Will Robie #2.5 short story) (audio - 7/25/18)
2. Agatha's First Case by M.C. Beaton (audio - 7/29/18)
3. Rockets' Dead Glare by Lynn Cahoon (audio - 9/4/18)
4. Extraction by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (9/25/18)
5. A Deadly Brew by Lynn Cahoon (10/8/18)
6. The Hangman by Louise Penny (10/17/18)
7. Santa Puppy by Lynn Cahoon (audio - 11/19/18)
8. Corned Beef and Casualties byLynn Cahoon

Bullseye (Will Robie, #2.5) by David Baldacci Agatha's First Case (Agatha Raisin Mysteries) by M.C. Beaton Rockets' Dead Glare (A Tourist Trap Mystery #3.25) by Lynn Cahoon Extraction (Pendergast, #12.5) by Douglas Preston A Deadly Brew (A Tourist Trap Mystery #9.5) by Lynn Cahoon The Hangman (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6.5) by Louise Penny Santa Puppy (A Tourist Trap Mystery #9.75) by Lynn Cahoon Corned Beef and Casualties (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #6.25) by Lynn Cahoon

Tower 7 - 7 Books that Were Borrowed (REPLACEMENT): - COMPLETE
1. Deck the Hallways by Kate Carlisle (10/6/18)
2. Murder in Her Stocking by G.A. McKevett (audio - 12/1/18)
3. Mayhem in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon (audio - 12/6/18)
4. Christmas in Paradise by Kathi Daley (audio - 12/16/18)
5. Cremas, Christmas Cookies, and Crooks by Harper Lin (audio - 12/24/18)
6. Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke (audio - 12/28/18)
7. Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay (audio - 1/2/19)

Deck the Hallways (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #4) by Kate Carlisle Murder in Her Stocking (A Granny Reid Mystery, #1) by G.A. McKevett Mayhem in Christmas River (Christmas River #2) by Meg Muldoon Christmas in Paradise (TJ Jensen Paradise Lake Mysteries #4) by Kathi Daley Cremas, Christmas Cookies, and Crooks (A Cape Bay Cafe Mystery #6) by Harper Lin Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7) by Joanne Fluke Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1) by Jenn McKinlay

Tower 6- 6 Anticipated Releases: - COMPLETE
1. Shattered at Sea by Cheryl Hollon (8/28/18)
2. A Wrench in the Works by Kate Carlisle (1/23/19)
3. Deadly News by Jody Holford (11/5/18)
4. Thread Herrings by Lea Wait (audio - 11/15/18)
5. Violet Tendencies by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley (11/26/18)
6. The Gun Also Rises by Sherry Harris (2/23/19)

Shattered at Sea (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery #5) by Cheryl Hollon A Wrench in the Works (A Fixer-Upper Mystery Book 6) by Kate Carlisle Deadly News (Britton Bay #1) by Jody Holford Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7) by Lea Wait Violet Tendencies (Rose City Mystery, #2) by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley The Gun Also Rises (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #6) by Sherry Harris

Tower 5 - 5 Authors Who are New To Me (REPLACEMENT): - COMPLETE
1. Death by Chocolate Lab by Bethany Blake (audio - 8/9/18)
2. Single Malt Murder by Melinda Mullet (audio - 8/15/18)
3. A Muddied Murder by Wendy Tyson (audio - 9/16/18)
4. Circle of Influence by Annette Dashofy (audio - 10/12/18)
5. Assault and Pepper by Leslie Budewitz (audio - 10/20/18)

Death by Chocolate Lab (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery #1) by Bethany Blake Single Malt Murder (Whisky Business Mystery #1) by Melinda Mullet A Muddied Murder (A Greenhouse Mystery #1) by Wendy Tyson Circle of Influence (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #1) by Annette Dashofy Assault and Pepper (A Spice Shop Mystery, #1) by Leslie Budewitz

Tower 4 - 4 Books That I Started But Didn't Finish: - COMPLETE
1. Doubt by C.E. Tobisman (8/8/18)
2. Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle (audio - 4/16/19)
3. Someone Always Knows by Marcia Muller (5/6/19)
4. Whisper: How to Hear the Voice of God by Mark Batterson (5/19/19)

Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1) by C.E. Tobisman Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Mystery, #1) by Kate Carlisle Someone Always Knows (Sharon McCone #31) by Marcia Muller Whisper How to Hear the Voice of God by Mark Batterson

Tower 3 - 3 Award-Winning Books (REPLACEMENT): - COMPLETE
1. The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny (Best (Mystery) Novel - Macavity 2010, Anthony 2010 and Agatha 2009) (audio - 10/15/18)
2. A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny (Best (Mystery) Novel 2012 (Macavity, Anthony) (audio - 3/5/19)
3. Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews (Barry, Anthony and Agatha awards for Best First Novel; Lefty Award) (audio - 4/24/19)

The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5) by Louise Penny A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7) by Louise Penny Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1) by Donna Andrews

Tower 2 - 2 Chunksters Over 450 Pages - COMPLETE(REPLACEMENT):
1. The Poet by Michael Connelly (510 pages) (audio - 11/21/18)
2. How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny (544 pages) (7/12/19)

The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1) by Michael Connelly How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9) by Louise Penny

Tower 1 - 1 Book that Intimidates Me: - COMPLETE
1. A Mother's Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold (finished 8/29/19)

A Mother's Reckoning Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold

message 13: by Barb (last edited Mar 14, 2019 04:30PM) (new)

Barb | 892 comments Thanks for the alternate categories, Briansgirl! I'm going to try for the Sherlock Holmes level, but I may have to settle for the Cagney & Lacey level instead, at the Slow & Steady pace :)

THE TWELVE TOWERS, starts 7/12/18
12/12 CATEGORIES COMPLETE | SHERLOCK HOLMES LEVEL

12 BOOKS THAT YOU'VE ACQUIRED MOST RECENTLY (from start date)
1. 7/16/18 : Plain as Day (Amish Mystery #5.5), by Laura Bradford, finished 7/19 ★★★.5
2. 7/13/18 : Halloween Murder (Lucy Stone #3 and #16), by Leslie Meier, finished 8/6 ★★★.5
3. 9/6/18 : Glitter Bomb (Scrapbooking #15), by Laura Childs, finished 9/10 ★★★.5
4. 10/11/18 : Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23), by Joanne Fluke, finished 10/18 ★★★
5. 11/2/18 : Death and Daisies (Magic Garden #2), by Amanda Flower, finished 11/4 ★★★.5
6. 11/4/18 : Night of Miracles (Arthur Truluv #2), by Elizabeth Berg, finished 11/7 ★★★★
7. 11/12/18 : In Peppermint Peril (Book Tea Shop #1), by Joy Avon, finished 11/14 ★★★.5
8. 11/15/18 : The Whispered Word (Secret, Book & Scone Society #2), by Ellery Adams, finished 11/18 ★★★.5
9. 11/23/18 : Yule Be Dead (Victoria Square #5), by Lorraine Bartlett, finished 11/25 ★★★.5
10. 11/25/18 : Just Plain Murder (Amish Mystery #6), by Laura Bradford, finished 11/30 ★★★★
11. 12/1/18 : Killer Classics (Book Barn #5), by Kym Roberts, finished 12/2 ★★★.5
12. 12/4/18 : Murder in Her Stocking (Granny Reid #1), by G.A. McKevett, finished 12/6 ★★★★
Plain as Day (An Amish Mystery #5.5) by Laura Bradford Halloween Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery) by Leslie Meier Glitter Bomb (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #15) by Laura Childs Christmas Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen #23) by Joanne Fluke Death and Daisies (A Magic Garden Mystery #2) by Amanda Flower Night of Miracles (Arthur Truluv, #2) by Elizabeth Berg In Peppermint Peril (A Tea and Read Mystery #1) by Joy Avon The Whispered Word (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #2) by Ellery Adams Yule Be Dead (Victoria Square, #5) by Lorraine Bartlett Just Plain Murder (An Amish Mystery, #6) by Laura Bradford
Killer Classics by Kym Roberts Murder in Her Stocking (A Granny Reid Mystery, #1) by G.A. McKevett

11 BOOKS THAT YOU NEVER FIND TIME TO GET AROUND TO OR THAT HAVE BEEN ON YOUR SHELVES THE LONGEST (pre-choose these)
1. G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril #5), by Maddy Hunter, finished 7/25 ★★★
2. Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak #6), by Chris Grabenstein, finished 7/16 ★★★★
3. A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard #8), by Philip R. Craig, finished 8/13 ★★★★
4. If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile #2), by Kate Carlisle, finished 10/11 ★★★.5
5. Thread End (Embroidery #7), by Amanda Lee, finished 10/25 ★★★★
6. Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon #3), by Nevada Barr, finished 10/31 ★★★.5
7. Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot #5), by Susan M. Boyer, finished 11/5 ★★★★
8. Cold Front (Tory Bauer #5), by Kathleen Taylor, finished 11/8 ★★★
9. Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple #17), by Carola Dunn, finished 11/26 ★★★.5
10. Play with Fire (Kate Shugak #5), by Dana Stabenow, finished 12/9 ★★★★
11. I'm a Fool to Kill You (Rat Pack #5), by Robert J. Randisi, finished 12/29 ★★★.5
G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril, #5) by Maddy Hunter Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6) by Chris Grabenstein A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8) by Philip R. Craig If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery, #2) by Kate Carlisle Thread End (An Embroidery Mystery, #7) by Amanda Lee Ill Wind (Anna Pigeon, #3) by Nevada Barr Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer Cold Front (Tory Bauer Mystery #5) by Kathleen Taylor Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17) by Carola Dunn Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5) by Dana Stabenow I'm a Fool to Kill You (Rat Pack Mysteries, #5) by Robert J. Randisi

10 BOOKS YOU RANDOMLY SELECT FROM YOUR SHELVES
1. Swamp Sniper (Miss Fortune #3), by Jana DeLeon, finished 7/13 ★★★★
2. Thereby Hangs a Tail (Chet & Bernie #2), by Spencer Quinn, finished 8/7 ★★★★
3. Beside Still Waters (Psalm 23 #4), by Debbie Viguié, finished 8/14 ★★★.5
4. Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse #14), by Cleo Coyle, finished 8/26 ★★★.5
5. North of Clever (Hannah Garvey #3), by Suzann Ledbetter, finished 10/7 ★★★.5
6. Deader Homes and Gardens (Claire Malloy #18), by Joan Hess, finished 10/12 ★★★.5
7. A Toast to Murder (Wine Lover's #6), by Michele Scott, finished 10/22 ★★★.5
8. Twelve Angry Librarians (Cat in the Stacks #8), by Miranda James, finished 10/27 ★★★★
9. The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts #4), by Clare O'Donohue, finished 10/29 ★★★.5
10. Freezer I'll Shoot (Vintage Kitchen #3), by Victoria Hamilton, finished 12/26 ★★★.5
Swamp Sniper by Jana Deleon Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #2) by Spencer Quinn Beside Still Waters by Debbie Viguié Once Upon a Grind (Coffeehouse Mystery, #14) by Cleo Coyle North of Clever (Hannah Garvey Mystery #3) by Suzann Ledbetter Deader Homes and Gardens (Claire Malloy, #18) by Joan Hess A Toast to Murder (A Wine Lover's Mystery, #6) by Michele Scott Twelve Angry Librarians (Cat in the Stacks, #8) by Miranda James The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4) by Clare O'Donohue Freezer I'll Shoot (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #3) by Victoria Hamilton

9 SEQUELS, SERIES CONTINUATIONS, OR SPIN-OFFS
1. Independence Slay (Celebration Bay #3), by Shelley Freydont, finished 7/20 ★★★.5
2. Guilty as Cinnamon (Spice Shop #2), by Leslie Budewitz, finished 7/31 ★★★.5
3. Premeditated Peppermint (Amish Candy Shop #3), by Amanda Flower, finished 9/23 ★★★★
4. Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Sisters #1), by Miranda James, finished 10/2 ★★★★
5. The Lacemaker's Secret (Chloe Ellefson #9), by Kathleen Ernst, finished 10/5 ★★★.5
6. Midsummer Mayhem (Potting Shed #7), by Marty Wingate, finished 10/13 ★★★★
7. The Colors of All the Cattle (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency #19), by Alexander McCall Smith, finished 10/17 ★★★★
8. Cinnamon Toasted (Spice Shop #3), by Gail Oust, finished 11/16 ★★★★
9. Eggs on Ice (Cackleberry Club #8), by Laura Childs, finished 12/11 ★★★★
Independence Slay (Celebration Bay, #3) by Shelley Freydont Guilty as Cinnamon (A Spice Shop Mystery, #2) by Leslie Budewitz Premeditated Peppermint by Amanda Flower Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Ladies Mystery #1) by Miranda James The Lacemaker's Secret by Kathleen Ernst Midsummer Mayhem (Potting Shed Mystery, #7) by Marty Wingate The Colors of All the Cattle (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency #19) by Alexander McCall Smith Cinnamon Toasted (Spice Shop Mystery #3) by Gail Oust Eggs on Ice by Laura Childs

8 NOVELLAS OR SHORT-STORIES
8 BOOKS BY NEW-TO-ME AUTHORS
1. author Janel GradowskiPies & Peril (Culinary Competitions #1), finished 7/23 ★★★
2. author Christine DeSmetFirst-Degree Fudge (Fudge Shop #1), finished 7/30 ★★★
3. author Claudia BishopA Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls #1), finished 8/22 ★★★★
4. author Claire DonallyThe Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow #1), finished 8/31 ★★★★
5. author Peggy E. EdelheitThe Puzzle (Samantha Jamison #1), finished 9/18 ★★.5
6. author Diane NobleThrough the Fire (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #1), finished 9/21 ★★★.5
7. author Edith MaxwellA Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods #1), finished 10/14 ★★★★
8. author Cécile ChabotThe Merchant of Death (Cycle of Xhól #1), finished 10/28 ★★★
Pies & Peril (Culinary Competition, #1) by Janel Gradowski First-Degree Fudge (A Fudge Shop Mystery #1) by Christine DeSmet A Taste for Murder (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #1) by Claudia Bishop The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1) by Claire Donally The Puzzle (Samantha Jamison Mystery #1) by Peggy A. Edelheit Through the Fire (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #1) by Diane Noble A Tine to Live, A Tine to Die (Local Foods Mystery, #1) by Edith Maxwell The Merchant of Death A Mayan Mystery (The Cycle of Xhól #1) by Cécile Chabot

7 BOOKS THAT EVERYONE SEEMS TO HAVE READ BUT YOU
1. Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat #5), by Richard Castle, finished 9/4 ★★★.5
2. Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree #1), by Colin Cotterill, finished 9/9 ★★★.5
3. The Fix (Amos Decker #3), by David Baldacci, finished 9/24 ★★★★.5
4. Fun House (John Ceepak #7), by Chris Grabenstein, finished 11/12 ★★★★
5. Vengeance in Death (In Death #6), by J.D. Robb, finished 11/19 ★★★.5
6. Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot #9), by Agatha Christie, finished 11/20 ★★★
7. Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite #2), by Robert Dugoni, finished 11/28 ★★★★.5
Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat, #5) by Richard Castle Killed at the Whim of a Hat (Jimm Juree, #1) by Colin Cotterill The Fix (Amos Decker, #3) by David Baldacci Fun House (John Ceepak Mystery, #7) by Chris Grabenstein Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6) by J.D. Robb Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9) by Agatha Christie Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2) by Robert Dugoni

6 ANTICIPATED RELEASES (release dates after your start date)
1. The Vanishing Box (Stephens & Mephisto #4), by Elly Griffiths, finished 7/27 ★★★★ – released 11/17 in the UK, 9/18 in the US
2. The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench #9), by P.J. Tracy, finished 8/9 ★★★★.5 –released 8/23 in the UK, 9/11 in the US
3. Shattered at Sea (Webb's Glass Shop #5), by Cheryl Hollon, finished 8/18 ★★★★ – released 8/28/18
4. Silver Anniversary Murder (Lucy Stone #25), by Leslie Meier, finished 8/24 ★★★.5 – released 9/25
5. Hitting the Books (Library Lovers #9), by Jenn McKinlay, finished 8/27 ★★★★ – released 9/11
6. Read and Gone (Haunted Library #2), by Allison Brook, finished 9/3 ★★★.5 – released 9/11
The Vanishing Box (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #4) by Elly Griffiths The Guilty Dead (Monkeewrench, #9) by P.J. Tracy Shattered at Sea by Cheryl Hollon Silver Anniversary Murder by Leslie Meier Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9) by Jenn McKinlay Read and Gone (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #2) by Allison Brook

5 BOOKS RECOMMENDED TO YOU VIA GOODREADS
1. In the Drink (Mack's Bar #3), by Allyson K. Abbott, finished 8/21 ★★★.5
2. Mai Tai One On (Tiki Goddess #1), by Jill Marie Landis, finished 8/29 ★★★
3. Gnome on the Range (Gnome series #1), by Jennifer Zane, finished 9/5 ★★.5
4. Scene of the Climb (Pacific Northwest #1), by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley, finished 10/10 ★★★
5. Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage #1), by William Dietrich, finished 12/5 ★★★
In the Drink (Mack's Bar Mystery, #3) by Allyson K. Abbott Mai Tai One On (A Tiki Goddess Mystery, #1) by Jill Marie Landis Gnome on the Range by Jennifer Zane Scene of the Climb (Pacific Northwest #1) by Kate E. Dyer-Seeley Napoleon's Pyramids (Ethan Gage, #1) by William Dietrich

4 BOOKS THAT YOU STARTED BUT NEVER FINISHED
4 BOOKS THAT HAVE WON AN AWARD
1. 2017 Gold Dagger Award : The Dry (Aaron Falk #1), by Jane Harper, finished 11/9 ★★★★
2. 1992 Agatha Award : The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Ballad #2), by Sharyn McCrumb, finished 2/7 ★★★
3. 2000 Anthony Award : The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe #1), by Raymond Chandler, finished 2/14 ★★★★
4. 2008 Agatha Award : The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #3), by Louise Penny, finished 3/13 ★★★★
The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (Ballad, #2) by Sharyn McCrumb The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1) by Raymond Chandler The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3) by Louise Penny

3 BOOKS THAT YOU'VE ALREADY READ
3 CHUNKSTERS (over 450 pages)
1. 593 pages : The Guilty (Will Robie #4), by David Baldacci, finished 10/4 ★★★★
2. 484 pages : The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch #3), by Michael Connelly, finished 10/19 ★★★★
3. 464 pages : The Final Cut (Brit in the FBI #1), by Catherine Coulter & J.T. Ellison, finished 1/23/19 ★★★★
The Guilty (Will Robie, #4) by David Baldacci The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3) by Michael Connelly The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1) by Catherine Coulter

2 BOOKS WITH COVERS THAT YOU DON'T THINK FIT THE STORYLINE OR THAT YOU DON'T LIKE THE COVERS OF BUT EVERYONE RAVES ABOUT THE BOOKS
1. cover doesn't fit storyline : The Abduction (Theodore Boone #2), by John Grisham, finished 9/11 ★★★.5
2. don't like the cover : Aunt Bessie Assumes (Isle of Man #1), by Diana Xarissa, finished 12/28 ★★★.5
The Abduction (Theodore Boone, #2) by John Grisham Aunt Bessie Assumes (Isle of Man #1) by Diana Xarissa

1 BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES YOU
1. Royally Dead (A Stitch in Time #3), by Greta McKennan, finished 8/12 ★★★
I didn't really care for the first two in this series, so I wasn't looking forward to reading this one
Royally Dead (A Stitch in Time Mystery) by Greta McKennan

***** CHALLENGE COMPLETE 3/13/19 *****

message 14: by Meg (last edited Sep 08, 2019 09:39PM) (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 966 comments Love it - thanks for another good one! Pls note that some books may change where it is allowed. Here we go...

Quick as a Bunny - up to 2 years
78 All mystery novels - Sherlock Holmes Award
Start date: July 13, 2018
Completion date: Sep 08, 2019

12 books that you've acquired most recently (from start date)

1. Cindy Sample - Dying for a Deal
2. Louise Lynn - Purrfect Murder
3. Lucy Burdette - Death in Four Courses
4. Cindy Blackburn - Unbelievable
5. Cindy Blackburn - Six Easy Pockets
6. Mary Feliz - Dead Storage
7. Karen Rose Smith - Murder with Lemon Tea Cakes
8. Allison Brook - Death Overdue
9. Sparkle Abbey -Barking with the Stars
10. Kathi Daley - Cupid's Curse
11. Juliette Blackwell - Secondhand Spirits
12. Harper Lin - Macaron Murder

Dying for a Deal (Laurel McKay Mysteries Book 7) by Cindy Sample Purrfect Murder (Hazel Hart #1) by Louise Lynn Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2) by Lucy Burdette Unbelievable (Cassie Baxter Mysteries, #1) by Cindy Blackburn Six Easy Pockets (Cue Ball Mysteries #6) by Cindy Blackburn Dead Storage (A Maggie McDonald Mystery #3) by Mary Feliz Murder with Lemon Tea Cakes (Daisy's Tea Garden Mystery #1) by Karen Rose Smith Death Overdue (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #1) by Allison Brook Barking with the Stars (The Pampered Pets Mysteries Book 9) by Sparkle Abbey Cupid's Curse (Zoe Donovan Mystery #4) by Kathi Daley Secondhand Spirits (A Witchcraft Mystery, #1) by Juliet Blackwell Macaron Murder (Patisserie Mystery #1) by Harper Lin

11 books that you never find time to get around to or that have been on your shelves the longest (pre-choose these).

1. Jennifer Fischetto - Death by Scones
2. Tracy D. Comstock - - Murder Is Our Mascot
3. Charlaine Harris - Three Bedrooms, One Corpse
4. Laura Bradford - Death in Advertising
5. Kathi Daley - Murder at Dolphin Bay
6. Alice K. Boatwright - Under an English Heaven
7. Karen MacInerney - Dead and Berried
8. Shannon Esposito - Karma's A Bitch
9. Rae Davis - Cut Loose
10. Linda Howard - Veil of Night
11. Adele Abbott - Witch Is When It All Began

Death by Scones (Danger Cove, #3) by Elizabeth Ashby Murder Is Our Mascot (Schooled in Murder, #1) by Tracy D. Comstock Three Bedrooms, One Corpse (Aurora Teagarden, #3) by Charlaine Harris Death in Advertising (A Tobi Tobias Mystery #1) by Laura Bradford Murder at Dolphin Bay (Sand and Sea Hawaiian Mystery #1) by Kathi Daley Under an English Heaven (Ellie Kent Mystery #1) by Alice K. Boatwright Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2) by Karen MacInerney Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery #1) by Shannon Esposito Cut Loose (Dusty Deals Mystery #2) by Rae Davies Veil of Night by Linda Howard Witch Is When It All Began (A Witch P.I. Mystery, #1) by Adele Abbott

10 books you randomly select from your shelves

1. Leslie Langtry - Mint Cookie Murder
2. Kathi Daley - Christmas Crazy
3. Catherine Bruns - Death of the Kona Man
4. Terrie Farley Moran - Well Read, Then Dead
5. Sara Rosett - Death in the English Countryside
6. Diane Kelly - Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure
7. Nancy Martin - No Way to Kill a Lady
8. Carol J. Perry - Caught Dead Handed
9. Angie Fox - Deader Homes and Gardens
10. Joanne Pence - Murder by Devil's Food

Mint Cookie Murder (Merry Wrath, #2) by Leslie Langtry Christmas Crazy (Zoe Donovan Mystery #3) by Kathi Daley Death of the Kona Man (Aloha Lagoon Mysteries #9) by Catherine Bruns Well Read, Then Dead (A Read 'Em and Eat Mystery, #1) by Terrie Farley Moran Death in the English Countryside (Murder on Location #1) by Sara Rosett Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1) by Diane Kelly No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8) by Nancy Martin Caught Dead Handed (Witch City Mystery, #1) by Carol J. Perry Deader Homes and Gardens (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #4) by Angie Fox Murder by Devil's Food (The Angie & Friends Food & Spirits Mysteries Book 4) by Joanne Pence

1. Laura Levine - Death of a Bachelorette
2. Jenna Bennett - Bad Debt
3. Cleo Coyle - Dead Cold Brew
4. Ruby Loren - Murder is a Monkey's Game
5. Karen MacInerney - Mother's Little Helper
6. Mary Marks - Gone But Knot Forgotten
7. Maria E. Schneider - Executive Dirt
8. Julie Moffett - No Living Soul
9. Deborah Brown - Psycho in Paradise

Death of a Bachelorette (A Jaine Austen Mystery #15) by Laura Levine Bad Debt (Savannah Martin Mystery #14) by Jenna Bennett Dead Cold Brew (Coffeehouse Mystery, #16) by Cleo Coyle Murder is a Monkey's Game (Madigan Amos Zoo Mystery #3) by Ruby Loren Mother's Little Helper by Karen MacInerney Gone But Knot Forgotten (A Quilting Mystery, #3) by Mary Marks Executive Dirt (A Sedona O'Hala Mystery, #4) by Maria E. Schneider No Living Soul (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #9) by Julie Moffett Psycho in Paradise (Florida Keys Mystery Series Book 15) by Deborah Brown

8 novellas or short-stories - they can be part of anthologies, you don't have to read the whole book in this case.

1. M. C. Beaton - Agatha's First Case
2. Kerri Nelson - Ornamental Danger
3. Joanne Fluke - "Gingerbread Cookie Murder" (from anthology Gingerbread Cookie Murder)
4. Laura Levine - "The Dangers Of Gingerbread Cookies" (from anthology Gingerbread Cookie Murder)
5. Lynn Cahoon - A Deadly Brew
6. Connie Shelton - Spellbound Sweets
7. P Creeden - Murder on Saint Patrick's Day
8. Alice Loweecey - Changing Habits: A Short Story

Agatha's First Case An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries) by M.C. Beaton Ornamental Danger a holiday short story (Working Stiff Mysteries) by Kerri Nelson Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5) by Joanne Fluke A Deadly Brew (A Tourist Trap Mystery #9.5) by Lynn Cahoon Spellbound Sweets (Samantha Sweet Magical Cozy Mystery Series) by Connie Shelton Murder on Saint Patrick's Day (Ridgeway Rescue Mystery #3) by P. Creeden Changing Habits A Short Story (Giulia Driscoll, #0.5) by Alice Loweecey

7 books that everyone seems to have read but you

1. Susan M. Boyer - Lowcountry Book Club
2. Darynda Jones -First Grave on the Right
3. J. D. Robb - Calculated In Death
4. Kerry Greenwood - Cocaine Blues
5. Juliette Harper - Witch at Heart
6. Carolyn Haines - Them Bones
7. Lynn Cahoon - A Story to Kill

Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Calculated In Death by J.D. Robb Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood Witch at Heart (Jinx Hamilton Mystery #1) by Juliette Harper Them Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #1) by Carolyn Haines A Story to Kill (Cat Latimer Mystery, #1) by Lynn Cahoon

6 anticipated releases (release dates after your start date)

1. Kathi Daley - Finding Courage
2. Anne Marie Stoddard - Handbags & Homicide
3. Cleo Coyle - The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller
4. Jayne Ann Krentz - Untouchable
5. Ellen Byron - Mardi Gras Murder
6. Donna Andrews - Toucan Keep a Secret

Finding Courage (Rescue Alaska Mystery #3) by Kathi Daley Handbags & Homicide (Aloha Lagoon Mysteries #12) by Anne Marie Stoddard The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #6) by Cleo Coyle Untouchable (Cutler, Sutter & Salinas, #3) by Jayne Ann Krentz Mardi Gras Murder (Cajun Country Mystery, #4) by Ellen Byron Toucan Keep a Secret by Donna Andrews

5 books that were recommended to you via Goodreads

1. Libby Klein - Class Reunions Are Murder
2. Krista Davis - Color Me Murder
3. Barbara Early - Death of a Toy Soldier
4. Laura Morrigan - Woof at the Door
5. Daryl Wood Gerber - A Deadly Éclair

Class Reunions Are Murder (A Poppy McAllister Mystery #1) by Libby Klein Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink Mysteries, #1) by Krista Davis Death of a Toy Soldier (Vintage Toyshop Mystery, #1) by Barbara Early Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1) by Laura Morrigan A Deadly Éclair (A French Bistro Mystery, #1) by Daryl Wood Gerber

4 Author(s) new to you (substitute)

1. Leslie Nagel - The Book Club Murders
2. Lea Wait - Twisted Threads
3. Noreen Wald - The Luck of the Ghostwriter
4. Kathleen Bridge - Better Homes and Corpses

The Book Club Murders (Oakwood Mystery #1) by Leslie Nagel Twisted Threads (Mainely Needlepoint, #1) by Lea Wait The Luck of the Ghostwriter (A Jake O'Hara Mystery Book 2) by Noreen Wald Better Homes and Corpses (Hamptons Home & Garden Mystery #1) by Kathleen Bridge

3 books that were borrowed or given to you (substitute)
1. Steamed Open
2. Look Alive Twenty-Five
3. A Picture of Murder

Steamed Open (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #7) by Barbara Ross Look Alive Twenty-Five (Stephanie Plum, #25) by Janet Evanovich A Picture of Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #4) by T E Kinsey

2 Award Winning Books (substitute)

1. A Cajun Christmas Killing (2017 Lefty Award for Best Humorous Mystery)
2. Kellye Garrett - Hollywood Homicide (2017 Agatha Award for Best First Novel)

A Cajun Christmas Killing (Cajun Country Mystery #3) by Ellen Byron Hollywood Homicide (Detective by Day #1) by Kellye Garrett

1 book that intimidates you

Nora Roberts - Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts Year One

message 15: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Posting here is fine, or on your own, or both. This is not a fast challenge, due to the amount of books read, but is doable. I've written most of mine down, but things will change I'm sure before I'm done. The list is fkexible.

message 16: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

Well, this will be my initial tracking post (although it will be in my personal thread too..., moving from year to year :D ). I'm going to replace some towers...

THE TWELVE TOWERS, 7/20/18 - 7/20/21 (Eyes on Target) (Updated: 02/09/2018)

2/12 CATEGORIES COMPLETE

Tower 12 - 12 books that you have acquired most recently (from start date)

11 BOOKS THAT YOU NEVER FIND TIME TO GET AROUND TO OR THAT HAVE BEEN ON YOUR SHELVES THE LONGEST (pre-choose these)

(view spoiler)

10 BOOKS YOU RANDOMLY SELECT FROM YOUR SHELVES (I used the "Select random book" in calibre over my virtual library "Cozy challenges")

(view spoiler)

Tower 9 - 9 sequels, series continuations, or spin-offs

1.- To Catch a Witch by Heather Blake (13/08/2018 - ★★★★)
2.- The Hammett Hex by Victoria Abbott (14/08/2018 - ★★★☆)
3.- Death on the Patagonian Express by Hy Conrad (31/08/2018 - ★★)
4.- Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie (01/09/2018 - ★★★★)
5.- Golden Malicious by Sheila Connolly (07/09/2018 - ★★★)

To Catch a Witch A Wishcraft Mystery by Heather Blake The Hammett Hex by Victoria Abbott Death on the Patagonian Express (Amy's Travel Mystery #3) by Hy Conrad Sleeping Murder (Miss Marple #13) by Agatha Christie Golden Malicious (Orchard Mystery, #7) by Sheila Connolly

Tower 8 - 8 novellas or short-stories Done

1-4.- Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie (15/07/2018 - ★★★★)
5-8.- The Thirteen Problems by Agatha Christie (16/07/2018 - ★★★★)

Miss Marple's Final Cases by Agatha Christie The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple, #2) by Agatha Christie

Tower 7 - 7 books by New-To-Me authors (replacement of "7 books that everyone seems to have read but you")

1.- The Death Merchant by Lee Goldberg (20/08/2018 - ★★★☆)
2.- A Stitch in Time by Monica Ferris (23/09/2018 - ★★★★☆)
3.- X Marks the Scot by Kaitlyn Dunnett (30/09/2018 - ★★★★☆)
4.- Survival of the Fritters by Ginger Bolton (02/10/2018 - ★★★★)
5.- Cherry Pie or Die by CeeCee James (10/10/2018 - ★★★★☆)

The Death Merchant (Diagnosis Murder, #2) by Lee Goldberg A Stitch in Time by Monica Ferris X Marks the Scot (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries #11) by Kaitlyn Dunnett Survival of the Fritters (Deputy Donut Mystery #1) by Ginger Bolton Cherry Pie or Die (Baker Street Mysteries #1) by CeeCee James

Tower 6 - 6 anticipated releases (release dates after your start date)

1.- Seventh Chapter by Kathi Daley (15/08/2018 - ★★★★☆)
2.- The Murder at Mandeville Hall by Stephanie Laurens (17/08/2018 - ★★★★☆)
3.- Leverage in Death by J.D. Robb (05/09/2018 - ★★★★☆)
4.- Shattered at Sea by Cheryl Hollon (27/09/2018 - ★★★★☆)
5.- Marigolds for Malice by Bailey Cattrell (20/10/2018 - ★★★★)

Seventh Chapter (A Writer's Retreat Mystery Book 7) by Kathi Daley The Murder at Mandeville Hall (The Casebook of Barnaby Adair, 5) by Stephanie Laurens Leverage in Death (In Death, #47) by J.D. Robb Shattered at Sea (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery #5) by Cheryl Hollon Marigolds for Malice (An Enchanted Garden Mystery, #3) by Bailey Cattrell

Tower 5 - 5 books recommended to you via goodreads (Friend's recommendation)

1.- The Golden Spiders by Rex Stout (16/08/2018 - ★★★☆)

The Golden Spiders by Rex Stout

4 BOOKS THAT YOU STARTED BUT NEVER FINISHED
4 BOOKS THAT HAVE WON AN AWARD

3 BOOKS THAT YOU'VE ALREADY READ

2 BOOKS WITH COVERS THAT YOU DON'T THINK FIT THE STORYLINE OR THAT YOU DON'T LIKE THE COVERS OF BUT EVERYONE RAVES ABOUT THE BOOKS

Tower 1 - 1 chunkster (Replacement) (over 450 pages) Done

1.- Edge of Darkness by Karen Rose (14/07/2018 - ★★★★☆)

Edge of Darkness (Romantic Suspense, #20; Cincinnati, #4) by Karen Rose

message 17: by Rachel (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:55PM) (new)

Rachel Burke | 76 comments I'm genuinely excited by this one!

I'm going for Sherlock Holmes.

The Twelve Towers

12 books that you've acquired most recently (from start date)
(view spoiler)

The Westing Game
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
(view spoiler)

10 books you randomly select from your shelves (such as by using random.org -- as you go, or pre-choose.) For a little extra bit of random fun, let someone else pick them for you off your shelves. If you've already read them, they can go on category 3, or have them choose again.
10 award winning books.

Murder on Lenox Hill
Oathbreaker
Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7) by Victoria Thompson Oathbreaker (The King's Hounds #2) by Martin Jensen

7 books that everyone seems to have read but you.

A Dark and Twisting Path
Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding
A Dark and Twisting Path (A Writer's Apprentice Mystery, #3) by Julia Buckley Four Funerals and Maybe a Wedding (Her Royal Spyness Mystery, # 12) by Rhys Bowen

The Cracked Spine
The Cracked Spine (Scottish Bookshop Mystery, #1) by Paige Shelton

4 books that you started but never finished. (honestly, there aren't even 4 series I've started and not finished. My OCD is real and problematic.)
4 authors new to you

2 books with covers that you don't think fit the storyline or that you don't like the covers of but everyone raves about the books.
Into the Black Nowhere
Into the Black Nowhere (UNSUB, #2) by Meg Gardiner

SUGGESTIONS:
If you have a tower/stack that just won't work for you (ie no unfinished books, etc.), you may take a suggested tower/stack from the list below and substitute it for one of the above. The new tower must then have the same number as the tower your replacing so the overall total stays the same at 78 books.

Author(s) new to you
Award Winning Book(s)
[Multiple lists of various mystery book awards http://stopyourekillingme.com/Awards/]

reply | flag *

message 18: by Beverly (last edited Jul 11, 2018 04:57PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 2336 comments The Twelve Towers

12 books that you've acquired most recently (from start date).

7 award-winning books.

4 books that you started but never finished.

2 book(s) that were borrowed or given to you.

SUGGESTIONS:

Author(s) new to you
Award Winning Book(s)

message 19: by Caren (new)

Caren (ckrich) | 53 comments This is insane! And of course I want to play along. Let me think a bit.

message 20: by Caren (new)

Caren (ckrich) | 53 comments ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "I thought it was time for something a little different. I've borrowed this challenge from the folks over at Nothing But Reading Challenges. You can find there group here:

]https://www.goodreads.co..."

12 books recently acquired? Is that newest before joining today?

message 21: by Caren (last edited Apr 21, 2020 12:30PM) (new)

Caren (ckrich) | 53 comments Goal 7/11/18 to 7/11/22 at Sherlock level. ★'s represent book ratings.
Completed 4/20/2020 All Mystery Novels!

Really four years should be enough. I'm hoping completing this one will help with the USA challenge. Level 11 books might change if I end up hating them. Just a heads up.
1 to 14 mystery novels - Maxwell Smart Award (Get Smart)
15 to 29 mystery novels - Thomas Magnum Award (Magnum P.I.)
30 to 49 mystery novels - Jim Rockford Award (Rockford Files)
50 to 77 mystery novels - Cagney & Lacey Award (Cagney & Lacey)
78 All mystery novels - Sherlock Holmes Award (Sherlock)
78 All cozy mystery novels - Jessica Fletcher Award (Murder, She Wrote)

The Twelve Towers

12 books that you've acquired most recently (from start date). A work in progress!
New Corpse In Town (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #1) by Lucy Quinn Double Fudge Brownie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #18) by Joanne Fluke Wicked Appetite (Lizzy & Diesel, #1) by Janet Evanovich The Snowman Killer (Alaska #1) by Wendy Meadows Saturn Night Fever (Sylvia Stryker Space Case #3) by Diane Vallere Murder Unmentionable (Sweet Nothings, #1) by Meg London Behind Chocolate Bars (A Chocolate Covered Mystery #3) by Kathy Aarons Reel of Fortune (Miss Fortune Mystery #12) by Jana Deleon Swamp Spook (Miss Fortune Mystery, #13) by Jana Deleon Dead Man Talking (The Happily Everlasting Series, #1) by Jana Deleon Death of a Pumpkin Carver (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery #8) by Lee Hollis Wicked Witch Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #16) by Leslie Meier
1- New Corpse in Town Lucy Quinn ★★★
2- Double Fudge Brownie Murder by Joanne Fluke ★★★
3- Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich ★★★★
4- The Snowman Killer by Wendy Meadows ★★★
5- Saturn Night Fever by Diane Vallere★★★★
6- Murder Unmentionable by Meg London★★★
7- Behind Chocolate Bars by Kathy Aarons ★★★★
8- Reel of Fortune by Jana DeLeon ★★★★★
9- Dead Man Talking by Jana DeLeon★★★★
10- Death of a Pumpkin Carver by Lee Hollis ★★★
11- Swamp Spook by Jana Deleon ★★★★
12- Wicked Witch Murder by Leslie Meir ★★★
DONE 12/12

11 books that you never find time to get around to or that have been on your shelves the longest (pre-choose these). Louisiana Hotshot (Talba Wallis, #1) by Julie Smith A Fatal Twist of Lemon (Wisteria Tearoom Mysteries, #1) by Patrice Greenwood Hairspray and Homicide by Cindy Bell Misfortune Cookies (When the Fat Ladies Sing #1) by Linda P. Kozar Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1) by Joanna Campbell Slan Merry Christmas Mysteries by Linda P. Kozar Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1) by Jana Deleon He Sees You When You're Sleeping by Mary Higgins Clark One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) by Janet Evanovich The St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre (Hatter's Cove Gazette Mystery #1) by Elisabeth Crabtree Whiskey Rebellion (An Addison Holmes Mystery, #1) by Liliana Hart
1. Louisiana Hotshot by Julie Smith ★★★★
2. Hairspray and Homicide by Cindy Bell ★★★
3. Misfortune Cookies by Linda P Kozar★★★
4. A Fatal Twist of Lemon by Patrice Greenwood ★★★
5. Paper, Scissors, Death by Joanna Campbell Slan ★★★★
6. Merry Christmas Mysteries by Linda Kozer★★
7. Trouble in Mudbug by Jana DeLeon ★★★
8. One For the Money by Janet Evanovich★★★★★
9. Whiskey Rebellion by Liliana Hart★★★
10. He Sees You When You’re Sleeping by Mary and Carol Higgins Clarke ★★★★
11. St. Valentine's Day Cookie Massacre by Elisabeth Crabtree ★★★★
DONE 1/28/2020

10 books you randomly select from your shelves (such as by using random.org -- as you go, or pre-choose.) From random library picks:
The Witches' Tree by M.C. Beaton The Harlequin Tea Set (Hercule Poirot, #44) by Agatha Christie The Diva Runs Out of Thyme (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #1) by Krista Davis A Bad Day's Work (Lilly Hawkins, #1) by Nora McFarland Color Me Murder (Pen & Ink Mysteries, #1) by Krista Davis Much ADO in Maggody by Joan Hess Snowmen in Paradise (TJ Jensen Paradise Lake Mystery, #2) by Kathi Daley Who Moved My Goat Cheese? (Farm-to-Fork Mystery #1) by Lynn Cahoon Living the Vida Lola (A Lola Cruz Mystery, #1) by Melissa Bourbon
1. The Witches' Tree by M.C. Beaton ★★★★
2. The Harlequin Tea Set by Agatha Christie ★★★
3. The Diva Runs Out of Thyme Krista Davis ★★★★
4. A Bad Days Work by Nora McFarland ★★★★★
5. A-List by D.P.Lyle ★★★
6. Color Me Murder By Krista Davis ★★★
7. Much ADO in Maggody by Joan Hess ★★★★
8. Snowmen in Paradise by Kathi Daley ★★★
9. Who Moved My Goat Cheese by Lynn Cahoon ★★★★
10. Living the Vida Lola by Melissa Bourbon ★★★★
Done 2/8/19 read 10/10

Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6) by Susan M. Boyer Lowcountry Bookshop (Liz Talbot Mystery #7) by Susan M. Boyer Lord of the Wings (Meg Langslow, #19) by Donna Andrews The Invisible Code (Peculiar Crimes Unit #10) by Christopher Fowler Duck the Halls (Meg Langslow, #16) by Donna Andrews The Nightingale Before Christmas (Meg Langslow, #18) by Donna Andrews A Crimson Warning (Lady Emily, #6) by Tasha Alexander Plum Tea Crazy (A Tea Shop Mystery, #19) by Laura Childs Death in the Floating City (Lady Emily, #7) by Tasha Alexander
1- Lowcountry Bonfire by Susan M. Boyer ★★★★★
2- Lowcountry Bookshop by Susan M. Boyer★★★★★
3- Lord of the Wings by Donna Andrews ★★★★★
4- The Invisible Code by Christopher Fowler ★★★★
5. Duck the Halls by Donna Andrews ★★★★
6. The Nightengale Before Christmas by Donna Andrews ★★★★
7. The Crimson Warning by Tasha Alexander ★★★
8. Plum Tea Crazy by Laura Childs ★★★★
9. Death in the Floating City by Tasha Alexander★★★★
DONE- 4/10/19

1- Just This Once by Michael Guillebeau ★★
2- Just Kidding by Diane Vallere ★★★ (mystery?)
3- The Library Ghost of Tanglewood Inn by Gigi Pandian ★★★★
4- The Invisible Assistant by John Gaspard ★★★
5- Routine Changes by Betsy Bitner ★★★★
6- Midnight Ice by Diane Vallere ★★★★★
7- The Five Dollar Dress by Mary Higgins Clark ★★★★
8 - Costume Conundrums by Ritter Ames ★★★★
9- Comin up from Cape Fear by Chris Muessig ★★
DONE 7/22/18 read 8/8

7 books that everyone seems to have read but you. (7 New to you authors)
Double Indemnity by James M. Cain Death at the Voyager Hotel by Kwei Jones-Quarey A Story to Kill (Cat Latimer Mystery, #1) by Lynn Cahoon Homicide for the Holidays (Viv and Charlie Mystery, #2) by Cheryl Honigford Bread of the Dead (Santa Fe Cafe Mystery, #1) by Ann Myers The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5) by Krista Davis Death Overdue (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #1) by Allison Brook
1- Double Indemnity by James M. Cain ★★★★
2- Death at the Voyager Hotel by Kwei Quartey ★★★
3- A Story to Kill by Lynn Cahoon ★★★★
4- Homicide for the Holidays by Cheryl Honigford ★★★★
5- Bread of the Dead by Ann Myers ★★★
6- Diva Haunts a House by Krista Davis ★★★★★
7- Death Overdue by Allison Brook ★★★
DONE 10/31/18 read 7/7

6 anticipated releases (release dates after your start date). A work in progress!

I'm Your Venus (Sylvia Stryker Space Case #2) by Diane Vallere Broken Bone China (A Tea Shop Mystery #20) by Laura Childs Mardi Gras Murder (Cajun Country Mystery, #4) by Ellen Byron Buried in Books (A Bibliophile Mystery, #12) by Kate Carlisle Dim Sum of All Fears (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #2) by Vivien Chien Murder Lo Mein (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #3) by Vivien Chien

1. Broken Bone China by Laura Childs ★★★★
2. I'm Your Venus by Diane Vallere ★★★★
3. Mardi Gras Murder by Ellen Byron★★★
4. Buried in Books by Kate Carlisle ★★★★
5. Dim Sum of All Fears by Vivian Chien ★★★★
6. Murder Lo Mein by Vivian Chien ★★★★
Done! 7/19 Read 6/6

The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1) by Victoria Abbott Killer Image (Allison Campbell Mystery #1) by Wendy Tyson On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, #1) by Cleo Coyle The Glass Key by Dashiell Hammett Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sachar
1. The Christie Curse by Victoria Abbot ★★★
2. Killer Image By Wendy Tyson ★★★★★
3. On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle ★★★
4. The Glass Key by Dashell Hamet★★★
5. Fuzzy Mud by Louis Sacher★★★
DONE 3/22/2020

4 books that you started but never finished. (4 award-winning books)
Snakeskin Shamisen (Mas Arai, #3) by Naomi Hirahara Devil in a Blue Dress (Easy Rawlins, #1) by Walter Mosley The Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian Murder in G Major (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #1) by Alexia Gordon
-1 Snakeskin Shamisen by Naomi Hirahara ★★★★
-2 Devil in a Blue Dress by Walter Mosley ★★★
-3 Accidental Alchemist by Gigi Pandian★★★★★
-4 Murder in G Major by Alexia Gordon ★★★★
Done 4/20/2020

Dangerous to Know (Lady Emily, #5) by Tasha Alexander Dance Hall of the Dead (Leaphorn & Chee, #2) by Tony Hillerman Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark
-1 Dangerous to Know by Tasha Alexander ★★★★
-2. Dance Hall of the Dead by Tony Hillerman ★★★★★
-3 Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark ★★★★★
DONE 2/26/19 read 3/3

I Once Was Lost (The Delaware Detectives #4) by Dana Rongione Ornaments of Death (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #10) by Jane K. Cleland
-1 I Once Was Lost by Dana Rongione
-2 Ornaments of Death by Jane K. Cleland
Done 12/19

1 book that intimidates you. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
1 The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins ★★
DONE completed 1/1 on 9/25/19

message 22: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 11, 2018 07:25PM) (new)

Caren wrote: "ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "12 books recently acquired? Is that newest before joining today? "

It all depends on when you want to start your challenge and how picky you are. I figured if I bought it in the last few months it was still newly acquired and I'd count that. Release date after challenge started was tougher, as I had to use those as newly acquired and then I have to wait til others are released.

message 23: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 11, 2018 07:32PM) (new)

I think I'm only going to end up Thomas Magnum level, as I read a lot that aren't mysteries. Although romantic suspense is good, the suspense part is sort of a mystery. Still never quite sure what category Stephanie Plum books fall into. Humorous adventure doesn't exist. lol Thomas Magnum works for me. I just finished buying for Mother's Day, the couple seasons I was missing so I can finish rewatching all of Magnum P.I. Gotta love me some Tom Selleck in Hawaii. :)

However, the list in my notebook that I'm working on could be done in under 18 months (Need for Speed level), maybe, depending on the new releases I'm waiting for. A higher mystery rating would mean a longer speed level for me.

message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 6996 comments I so was not going to do this challenge due to the length and volume of it, not to mention a couple categories I didn't like or couldn't do (ie. books started but never finished). I've decided to bite the bullet and join in. I've substituted out the novellas for books borrowed and books started but not finished for new authors. Like a lot of people I usually don't reread books either (too many I haven't read yet to reread ones I have), the main exception to this being when I get to the last book in a series where the author has died, so I'm already planning a reread of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series in early 2019, so that will work perfectly for this challenge. My challenge can be found here in my personal folder but I'm sure I'll occasionally post updates here. I've also already gotten some ideas for categories from what other people have posted already.

message 25: by Caren (new)

Caren (ckrich) | 53 comments ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "Caren wrote: "ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "12 books recently acquired? Is that newest before joining today? "

It all depends on when you want to start your challenge and how picky you a..."

Thanks. This is such fun.

message 26: by Caren (new)

Caren (ckrich) | 53 comments ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "Caren wrote: "ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "12 books recently acquired? Is that newest before joining today? "

It all depends on when you want to start your challenge and how picky you a..."

Thanks. This is such fun.

message 27: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments I need to think about this one. Wasn't there a random generator in my books at one time? How do you randomize your GR tbr on randomize.org?

message 28: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Gary wrote: "I need to think about this one. Wasn't there a random generator in my books at one time? How do you randomize your GR tbr on randomize.org?"

Can someone help Gary with this? I've never used randomize.org.

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 53 comments ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "Gary wrote: "I need to think about this one. Wasn't there a random generator in my books at one time? How do you randomize your GR tbr on randomize.org?"

Can someone help Gary with this? I've neve..."

I admit that I have never used randomize.org either, but the way I would do it is to use the "True Random Number Generator" feature in the upper right hand corner. The minimum number would be 1, and the maximum would be the number of books on your to-be-read list (in my case 621 -- Yikes!!!). I would then generate 10 random numbers and the books that correspond to those numbers would go on my tower list.

However, before I did any generating, I would try to cull down my GR to-be-read list to eliminate items that were put there, for example, when I entered a GR giveaway, but I really don't have any intention of purchasing the book.

BTW, it now occurs to me that I should probably create a separate to-be-read list containing only those books I own or have access to. Not sure I'll get around to it, but maybe I should do it for this challenge.

Hope this helps. :-)

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments You *can sort your GR want-to-read list in a Random sort. At the bottom of the page, there are boxes with drop-down menus that allow you to sort your list in a lot of different ways. Since you want 10 random books for this challenge, set the number of books to 10 per page and set the Sort option to Random. Then you'll want to read the books that show up on the first page of that sort.

message 31: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments Gary wrote: "How do you randomize your GR tbr on randomize.org?"

Barbara is exactly right about how to do this, but the website is random.org, not randomize.org.
Random.org

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 6996 comments I think I'm going to like this challenge! In perusing my Goodreads TBR for the oldest things on it I came across a series I want to read and now have the first 3 books in 3 different towers - the first book is in new to me author, the second is in recommended to me by Goodreads and the third is in the oldest stuff to read. So excited to finally have something to push this series to the top of the list.

message 33: by Barbara (last edited Jul 13, 2018 11:53AM) (new)

Barbara Sousa | 53 comments Barb wrote: "Gary wrote: "How do you randomize your GR tbr on randomize.org?"

Barbara is exactly right about how to do this, but the website is random.org, not randomize.org.
Random.org"

Sorry, Barb and Gary. When I typed "randomize.org" in to my search, it automatically listed "random.org" as the first option. Or maybe I just typed "random.org" into the search engine? I didn't even notice! I'll blame it on the time of night. :-}

message 34: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Sousa | 53 comments Barb wrote: "You *can sort your GR want-to-read list in a Random sort. At the bottom of the page, there are boxes with drop-down menus that allow you to sort your list in a lot of different ways. Since you want..."

This works, too, and is probably easier. I see it now when I access GR through the computer. Thank you.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 678 comments I think I'd like to try this. :) I'll definitely be Slow and Steady. My reading time has lessened. :) But, this definitely looks like fun. And, I'm aiming for ALL cozy mysteries, but it may end up being all mysteries. We'll see. I will substitute the unfinished books, b/c I usually can't leave a book unfinished. So, I only have two books I've never finished. I'll post my books here, in a little bit.

12 Towers
Date started: 7/13/18
0/78

message 36: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments I may modify the random category by going to the earliest unread book in the chosen series.

message 37: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Changed my random books to a more restricted scope (only 500 ;) ), so I can clean my poor ereader, that some of them have been there for a long time.

message 38: by Rachel (last edited Jul 14, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Rachel Burke | 76 comments Gary wrote: "I may modify the random category by going to the earliest unread book in the chosen series."

I’m doing this with “oldest”, “newest”, and “random”. Otherwise I would have to read a ton of books to get to the books chosen. (I’m not actually capable of just picking up and reading book 5.)

message 39: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments I'm the same way, Rachel, I just can't bring myself to read series books out of order! I created a shelf for my next-in-series books. As much as possible, that's the shelf I plan to use for most of these towers. Obviously, that shelf won't work for New-to-Me Authors, and it probably won't for Chunksters, but it helps narrow down my choices :)

message 40: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 2265 comments I would use the Chunkster tower, but most of my longer books, aka doorstoppers, are epic fantasy by the likes of Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind and others.

message 41: by Kellene (new)

Kellene | 167 comments I seriously don't need to start another challenge, but this intrigues me. I'm going to give it a go. I'll keep my list on my challenge spreadsheet (yes it's crazy, but it works) but may post category picks or finishes. Great challenge but I too appreciate the alternate categories. Heaven knows, if I didn't finish a book, I'm not going back to it because I usually finish whatever I start.

message 42: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments Gary wrote: "I would use the Chunkster tower, but most of my longer books, aka doorstoppers, are epic fantasy by the likes of Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind and others."

I don't know that I have *any cozies that are over 450 pages long, but I have some mysteries that will work, so I've already given up on the Jessica Fletcher Award :)

message 43: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

As Barb, I've left the Jessica Fletcher Award and at most I'll go for Sherlock Holmes. This is because I've already finished my chunkster, that intimidates me too, as you never know how dark a Karen Rose's book is going to be. I've read Edge of Darkness, and I've liked it a lot (two days for reading it only), but yes, it's dark and not cozy at all.

message 44: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Barb wrote: "I don't know that I have *any cozies that are over 450 pages long"

The Complete Father Brown, for example ;)

message 45: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments Thanks, Marisa, I'll keep that in mind. My library system doesn't have a copy (not surprising, given the age of the book), but I might be able to find it somewhere else. But this doesn't have "cozy" on the book's main GR page. Will that matter for this challenge?

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Burke | 76 comments Barb wrote: "Thanks, Marisa, I'll keep that in mind. My library system doesn't have a copy (not surprising, given the age of the book), but I might be able to find it somewhere else.

Barb, its routinely free for Kindle f you ever read that way.

message 47: by Barb (new)

Barb | 892 comments Good to know, Rachel, thanks!

message 48: by Tuck (last edited Jul 15, 2019 06:48AM) (new)

Tuck | 28 comments I'm giving this a try. I'm changing a couple of categories. And as much as I'd like to read all mysteries, I'm trying for Rockford, since he is my favorite:

12 books that you've acquired most recently
Fletch Won - Gregory McDonald (Read 7/13/2019)
Pop Goes the Weasel: The Secret Meanings Of Nursery Rhymes - Albert Jack
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories My Mother Never Told Me - Alfred Hitchcock
Pissing In The Snow and Other Ozark Folktales - Vance Randolph
Evil Under the Sun - Agatha Christie (Read 7/5/2019)
Ask the Cards a Question - Marcia Muller (Read 6/10/2019)
The Missing Man - Hillary Waugh
Death Before Bedtime - Edgar Box
Twilight of the Gods: A Journey to the End of Classic Rock - Steven Hyden (Read 4/11/2019)
In a Narrow Grave: Essays on Texas - Larry McMurtry
The Fallen - Ace Atkins (Read 8/11/198)
Chicago: A Novel of Prohibition - David Mamet (Read 8/2/18)

The Fallen (Quinn Colson, #7) by Ace Atkins Chicago A Novel of Prohibition by David Mamet Twilight of the Gods A Journey to the End of Classic Rock by Steven Hyden Ask the Cards a Question by Marcia Muller Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot #24) by Agatha Christie Fletch Won (Fletch, #8) by Gregory McDonald

11 Edgar Award Winners
2018 Edgar Award - Bluebird, Bluebird - Attica Locke - Read 8/18/2018

Bluebird, Bluebird (Highway 59 #1) by Attica Locke

The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History - Robert M. Edsel
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeleine L'Engle
Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
The Grownup - Gillian Flynn
The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
Across Five Aprils - Irene Hunt
The Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion - Robert Coles
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Terry Pratchett

You Know Who Killed Me - Loren D. Estleman
Dead Man's Blues

You Know Who Killed Me (Amos Walker, #24) by Loren D. Estleman Dead Man's Blues by Ray Celestin

7 authors new to me
Meddling Kids - Edgar Cantero
Universal Harvester - John Darnielle
The Devil's Feast - M.J. Carter
The Pigeon Pie Mystery - Julia Stuart

Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero Universal Harvester by John Darnielle The Devil's Feast (Avery & Blake, #3) by M.J. Carter The Pigeon Pie Mystery by Julia Stuart

Guess Who - Chris McGeorge - (Read 2/11/2019)
Monster City: Murder, Music, and Mayhem in Nashville’s Dark Age - Michael Arntfield - (Read 4/11/2019)

Guess Who by Chris McGeorge Monster City Murder, Music, and Mayhem in Nashville’s Dark Age by Michael Arntfield

5 histories or biographies (I need to read more non-fiction)
A Mighty Fortress: A New History of the German People - Steven E. Ozment
The Mexican Wars for Independence - Timothy J. Henderson
The Story of Psychology - Morton Hunt
Northmen: The Viking Saga, 793-1241 AD - John Haywood - Read 01/21/2019
Barbarians, Marauders, And Infidels: The Ways Of Medieval Warfare - Antonio Santosuosso
Northmen The Viking Saga, 793-1241 AD by John Haywood

4 true crime recommended by my wife
Ladykiller - Donna Fielder
Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three - Mara Leveritt
Small Sacrifices: A True Story of Passion and Murder - Ann Rule
Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders - Vincent Bugliosi

2 chunksters
The Abominable - Dan Simmons - read 10/16/2018

The Abominable by Dan Simmons

message 49: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

Gary wrote: "I would use the Chunkster tower, but most of my longer books, aka doorstoppers, are epic fantasy by the likes of Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind and others."

You can still use them, it just means you aren't reading all mysteries (or cozies). I'm mixing my list up including both, so I can get rid of stuff that fits other categories (like finishing up those books with bookmarks in them, meaning I wasn't enjoying them.)

message 50: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited Jul 17, 2018 10:18AM) (new)

Marisa wrote: "As Barb, I've left the Jessica Fletcher Award and at most I'll go for Sherlock Holmes. This is because I've already finished my chunkster, that intimidates me too, as you never know how dark a Kare..."

My "intimdates" me book is Shakespeare's Hamlet. I never had to read Shakespeare in school, meaning I have no help in attempting to read it. I've got the No Fear Shakespeare books (with modern translations along with original text to help), but it definitely qualified as an intimidating read! I read half last year, and now need to pick it up again. Darn books with bookmarks. lol

« previous 1 3