2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Yearly Challenges > The Members' Tasks Challenge - 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 362 (362 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3811 comments THE MEMBERS’ TASKS CHALLENGE
Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2018

This challenge is all about YOU, the wonderful members of our group. All members had the opportunity to submit a task and together we created a challenge. Check out the original entries here.
Set your goal, and see how many of these member-created tasks you can complete!

1. Adriana's task: I just changed careers and I'm studying to be a librarian in the new year. Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.

2. Amanda's task: I am from Scotland and now live in the Netherlands. I studied French and German. Read a book which has been translated from another language.

3. Anna's task: I am in a Disney mood. Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.

4. Aparajita's task: I am an Indian. Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).

5. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.

6. Blagica's task: I am sitting here reading Under the Dome, a book with over 1000 pages. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.

7. Candiss' task: I have a love for epistolary fiction - books that are written as a series of documents - traditionally letters or diary/journal entries but now also sources such as newspaper articles/clippings, emails, text messages, blog posts - even transcribed audio recordings. Read a work of epistolary fiction.

8. Charity's task: One of my best friends is bipolar and I've been trying to read books related to bipolar disorder to better understand her. Read a book about mental illness.

9. Cheri's task: I studied medieval hisory. Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.

10. Chloe's task: I was born and raised in Canada. Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.

11. Claire's task: I was lucky enough to have travelled to Egypt and see first-hand the pyramids, tombs, and temples there. Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.

12. Daph's task: I love reading (obviously!) Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.

13. Debra's task: My interest in serial killers led me to write to a few of them. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.

14. Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.

15. Diana's task: I am from Romania. Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.

16. D.G.'s task: I was born in the Dominican Republic. Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.

17. Eggp's task: I'm always trying to pester a certain friend to read/discuss books with me, but it's like pulling teeth. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.

18. Gail W's task: I am second generation Scotch/Irish and finally was able this summer to visit Ireland for the first time in my life. Read a book by an Irish writer.

19. Gilraens's task: I lived in three different countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries.

20. Gem's task: I was born in 1966. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.

21. Greg's task: My brother was drafted in the Vietnam War and sent to Plieku where he got to participate in the Tet Offensive. Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.

22. Gretchen's task: I have identical twin girls. Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.

23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist.

24. Ilona's task: Ilona is a Hungarian female given name, the traditional name of the Queen of the Fairies in Magyar folklore. Read a book about fairy folklore.

25. Inkeri's task: Almost three years ago I decided to turn my life upside down and went back to school to become a radiographer. Physics is obviously a big part of my occupation. Read a book about physics.

26. Jennifer B's task: I have four siblings. Read a book about a big family.

27. Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.

28. Jenny's task: I've had a heart transplant. Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.

29. Jessica's task: I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Montreal, and now live in Minnesota. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.

30. Jill's task: My grandmothers parents came to America form Ireland. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.

31. Kadijah Michelle's task: I converted to Islam in my early 20s. Read a book about a Muslim woman.

32. Kristin's task: I really enjoy reading the stories that are "sprinkled" amongst the recipes in cookbooks. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.

33. Kylie's task: My favourite hobby is making shoes, since I have small feet and could never buy nice shoes. Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.

34. Laura's task: I like to read book set in places I've actually visited. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.

35. Lauri's task: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and live there still. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.

36. Leona's task: My ancestor was Titian, the artist. Read a book about art.

37. Lindsay's task: I love animals. Read a book about or featuring an animal.

38. Lois' task: I am a genealogist. Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.

39. Mie's task: I have just been to the annual office Christmas party. Read a book that includes or features a party.

40. Nikinnia's task: I am a Southern, Black woman. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.

41. Nikki's task: My favorite thing about reading a good book is the escapism factor. I can go anywhere or live any adventure. Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.

42. Rachael's task: My name was popular in the 1990s, the decade in which I was born. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.

43. Rebecca's task: I want to be an art teacher someday. Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.

44. Rique's task: My mother and mother-in-law lived through most of the tumultuous 20th century. Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).

45. Sarah's task: Growing up there were rumors that my great-grandmother had local mafia/mob connections. Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob.

46. Sheila's task: I am a decades old first-generation citizen. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.

47. Susy's task: I was raised in the Netherlands but both my parents are Portuguese. My primary language is Dutch but my first language or mother tongue was Portuguese. Read a book in your mother language/tongue.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Jan 05, 2019 04:07AM) (new)

Ilona | 3811 comments How to Participate
1. Post here telling the challenge leader that you'd like to join the challenge. You can choose your books for the challenge at the beginning, or add them as you go. You can join a challenge at any time, as long as the challenge is still active.

2. Whenever you finish a book for the challenge, post here and let the challenge leader know so they can update your progress.

Some members choose to update their original post with their progress to keep track of their challenge more easily, but make sure to also post a new message so the challenge leader knows to go look at your original post. You can look at how other members report their progress to find a strategy that works well for you.

For more information about how challenges work, check out this thread or ask your challenge leader.

Participants
Adriana - 6 / 10
AJ - 0 / 3
Alicesun - 6 / 10
Amanda - 20 / 20 Completed!
AnnaG - 47 / 47 Completed!
Aparajita - 47 / 47 Completed!
Arushi - 0 / 12
AttWaq - 5 / 5 Completed!
Blagica - 10 / 10 Completed!
Candiss - 15 / 15 Completed!
Carrie - 0 / 5
Cassandra - 7 / 10
Catherine - 8 / 47
Charity - 28 / 20 Completed!
Cindy III - 7 / 27
Claire (m. 313) - 7 / 10
Claire (m. 52) - 15 / 15 Completed!
Claire (m. 73) - 40 / 47
Debra - 11 / 19
Debra H - 38 / 20 Completed!
Erika - 0 / 12
Gail W - 15 / 10 Completed!
Gillis - 22 / 20 Completed!
Gilraens - 3 / 3 Completed!
Guiana - 9 / 9 Completed!
Hanya - 5 / 7
Jennifer (m. 13) - 0 / 5
Jennifer (m.14) - 26 / 25 Completed!
Jenny - 17 / 47
Jess - 30 / 47
Jessica - 0 / 20
Jill - 6 / 47
Jordyn - 2 / 10
June - 35 / 47
Kadijah Michelle - 11 / 47
Kara - 35 / 30 Completed!
Kristin - 19 / 10 Completed!
Kristina - 25 / 25 Completed!
Kylie - 0 / 10
Laura - 3 / 3 Completed!
Leah - 0 / 12
Lindsay - 47 / 12 Completed!
Lois - 2 / 47
Maca - 5 / 7
Michelle - 0 / 47
Mie - 35 / 35 Completed!
Mikayla - 0 / 10
Nicole - 21 / 10 Completed!
Nikki - 24 / 20 Completed!
oshizu - 20 / 20 Completed!
Rebecca - 4 / 5
ReGina - 20 / 20 Completed!
Reija - 20 / 20 Completed!
Robin - 3 / 6
Samantha - 20 / 10 Completed!
Sarah - 7 / 10
Shala - 33 / 24 Completed!
Sheila - 8 / 8 Completed!
Stream and Pool - 2 / 10
Susy - 24 / 24 Completed!
Ula - 10 / 10 Completed!
Vicky - 25 / 47

Updated as of message 364.

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11916 comments I'll start everyone off with 10 tasks!

message 4: by Candiss (last edited Jun 12, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 996 comments I'm in for 15!

1. Anna's task: Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. - Reasons to Live by Amy Hempel (The character "Dale" matches Disney's "Dale" from Chip 'n' Dale.)

2. Adriana's task: Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character. - All Systems Red by Martha Wells (The main character makes a big, big change.)

3. Lindsay's task: Read a book about or featuring an animal. - The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly by Sun-mi Hwang (All the main characters are animals.)

4. Amanda's task: Read a book which has been translated from another language. - The Three Way Tavern: Selected Poems by Ko Un

5. Sheila's task: Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures. - The Hole by Hye-Young Pyun (one character is half-Korean/half-Japanese)

6. Daph's task: Read a book recommended by a friend or family member. - The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (recommended by my husband for over 10 years... I finally got it read!)

7. Rachael's task: Read a book published between 1990 and 1999. - Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami (first published 1999)

8. Nikinnia's task: Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South. - Salt by Nayyirah Waheed

9. Susy's task: Read a book in your mother language/tongue. - From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty

10. Delitealex's task: Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book. - Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

11. Inkeri's task: Read a book about physics. - Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli

12. Debra's task: Read a book about a serial killer or true crime. - Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk

13. Eggp's task: Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read. - The Beauty by Aliya Whiteley (My husband and I read this one together.)

14. Chloe's task: Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author. - Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson

15. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist.- In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan

Read: 15/15 COMPLETED!

message 5: by Lindsay (last edited Dec 18, 2018 03:56PM) (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm in for 12

This challenge is all about YOU, the wonderful members of our group. All members had the opportunity to submit a task and together we created a challenge. Check out the original entries here.
Set your goal, and see how many of these member-created tasks you can complete!

✅1. Adriana's task: I just changed careers and I'm studying to be a librarian in the new year. Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.
City of Heavenly Fire

✅2. Amanda's task: I am from Scotland and now live in the Netherlands. I studied French and German. Read a book which has been translated from another language.
Spark Joy: An Illustrated Guide to the Japanese Art of Tidying

✅3. Anna's task: I am in a Disney mood. Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.
The Fault in Our Stars Gus/Augustus

✅4. Aparajita's task: I am an Indian. Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).
Panty

✅5. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

✅6. Blagica's task: I am sitting here reading Under the Dome, a book with over 1000 pages. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.
Gone with the Wind

✅7. Candiss' task: I have a love for epistolary fiction - books that are written as a series of documents - traditionally letters or diary/journal entries but now also sources such as newspaper articles/clippings, emails, text messages, blog posts - even transcribed audio recordings. Read a work of epistolary fiction.
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

✅8. Charity's task: One of my best friends is bipolar and I've been trying to read books related to bipolar disorder to better understand her. Read a book about mental illness.
Turtles All the Way Down

✅9. Cheri's task: I studied medieval hisory. Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.
The Story of Scotland

✅10. Chloe's task: I was born and raised in Canada. Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.
Fifteen Dogs

✅11. Claire's task: I was lucky enough to have travelled to Egypt and see first-hand the pyramids, tombs, and temples there. Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.
The Night Circus

✅12. Daph's task: I love reading (obviously!) Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.
The Complaints

✅13. Debra's task: My interest in serial killers led me to write to a few of them. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.
Darkly Dreaming Dexter

✅14. Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.

✅15. Diana's task: I am from Romania. Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.
Letters to a Young Gymnast

✅16. D.G.'s task: I was born in the Dominican Republic. Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.
The Shape of Water

✅17. Eggp's task: I'm always trying to pester a certain friend to read/discuss books with me, but it's like pulling teeth. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.
Ready Player One

✅18. Gail W's task: I am second generation Scotch/Irish and finally was able this summer to visit Ireland for the first time in my life. Read a book by an Irish writer.
Asking For It

✅19. Gilraens's task: I lived in three different countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries.
Sense and Sensibility

✅20. Gem's task: I was born in 1966. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.
The Reader on the 6.27

✅21. Greg's task: My brother was drafted in the Vietnam War and sent to Plieku where he got to participate in the Tet Offensive. Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.
A War of Gifts

✅22. Gretchen's task: I have identical twin girls. Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

✅23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist.
Tips for Living

✅24. Ilona's task: Ilona is a Hungarian female given name, the traditional name of the Queen of the Fairies in Magyar folklore. Read a book about fairy folklore.
New World Fairy Tales

✅25. Inkeri's task: Almost three years ago I decided to turn my life upside down and went back to school to become a radiographer. Physics is obviously a big part of my occupation. Read a book about physics.
A Wrinkle in Time

✅26. Jennifer B's task: I have four siblings. Read a book about a big family.
Claude’s Christmas Adventure

✅27. Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.
Mistborn: Secret History

✅28. Jenny's task: I've had a heart transplant. Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.
Where Memories Go

✅29. Jessica's task: I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Montreal, and now live in Minnesota. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.
Mansfield Park

✅30. Jill's task: My grandmothers parents came to America form Ireland. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.
The Barry Island Murders

✅31. Kadijah Michelle's task: I converted to Islam in my early 20s. Read a book about a Muslim woman.
Miss Treadway & the Field of Stars

✅32. Kristin's task: I really enjoy reading the stories that are "sprinkled" amongst the recipes in cookbooks. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.
Five Quarters of the Orange

✅33. Kylie's task: My favourite hobby is making shoes, since I have small feet and could never buy nice shoes. Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.
Waiting For Monsieur Bellivier

✅34. Laura's task: I like to read book set in places I've actually visited. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.
The Silkworm

✅35. Lauri's task: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and live there still. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.
Love Will Survive

✅36. Leona's task: My ancestor was Titian, the artist. Read a book about art.
The Picture of Dorian Gray

✅37. Lindsay's task: I love animals. Read a book about or featuring an animal.
Little Man in a Dog Suit: The Story of a Boston Terrier

✅38. Lois' task: I am a genealogist. Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

✅39. Mie's task: I have just been to the annual office Christmas party. Read a book that includes or features a party.
La Belle Sauvage

✅40. Nikinnia's task: I am a Southern, Black woman. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.
The Hate U Give

✅41. Nikki's task: My favorite thing about reading a good book is the escapism factor. I can go anywhere or live any adventure. Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.
Ender in Exile

✅42. Rachael's task: My name was popular in the 1990s, the decade in which I was born. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

✅43. Rebecca's task: I want to be an art teacher someday. Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.
Agony and Ecstasy: My Life in Dance

✅44. Rique's task: My mother and mother-in-law lived through most of the tumultuous 20th century. Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).
Animal Farm

✅45. Sarah's task: Growing up there were rumors that my great-grandmother had local mafia/mob connections. Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob.
The Summer of Impossible Things

✅46. Sheila's task: I am a decades old first-generation citizen. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.
Typhoon

✅47. Susy's task: I was raised in the Netherlands but both my parents are Portuguese. My primary language is Dutch but my first language or mother tongue was Portuguese. Read a book in your mother language/tongue.
Winter

All 47 tasks completed

message 6: by Mars (last edited Nov 03, 2018 09:34PM) (new)

Mars (scxrletmars) | 67 comments I'll do 10!
I'll add books as I complete them.

1. Read a book by a Canadian Author (Chloe's Task)
The Sun and Her Flowers
2. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South (Nikinnia's Task)
The Hate U Give
3. Read a book that includes or features a party. (Mie's Task)
Boy Meets Boy
4. Read a book recommended by a friend or family member. (Daph's Task)
The Sun Is Also a Star
5. Read a book about mental illness (Charity's Task)
Thirteen Reasons Why
6. Read a work of epistolary fiction. (Candiss's Task)
The Princess Present

6/10

message 7: by Amanda (last edited Jun 22, 2018 01:03PM) (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1348 comments The Members' Tasks Challenge
Duration: January 1st - December 31st, 2018

1. Adriana's task: I just changed careers and I'm studying to be a librarian in the new year. Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.

Wonder by R. J. Palacio
Completed 9/1/18 Rating 4 stars

2. Amanda's task: I am from Scotland and now live in the Netherlands. I studied French and German. Read a book which has been translated from another language.

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Dicker
Completed 18/2/18 Rating 3 stars

Translated from Swiss French.

3. Anna's task: I am in a Disney mood. Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
Completed 25/1/18 Rating 4 stars

Alice in Wonderland

4. Aparajita's task: I am an Indian. Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).

5. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.

6. Blagica's task: I am sitting here reading Under the Dome, a book with over 1000 pages. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.

7. Candiss' task: I have a love for epistolary fiction - books that are written as a series of documents - traditionally letters or diary/journal entries but now also sources such as newspaper articles/clippings, emails, text messages, blog posts - even transcribed audio recordings. Read a work of epistolary fiction.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Completed 6/6/18 Rating 4 stars

8. Charity's task: One of my best friends is bipolar and I've been trying to read books related to bipolar disorder to better understand her. Read a book about mental illness.

9. Cheri's task: I studied medieval hisory. Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.

Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Completed 23/4/18 Rating 4 stars

10. Chloe's task: I was born and raised in Canada. Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.

11. Claire's task: I was lucky enough to have travelled to Egypt and see first-hand the pyramids, tombs, and temples there. Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.

12. Daph's task: I love reading (obviously!) Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.

13. Debra's task: My interest in serial killers led me to write to a few of them. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Completed 6/3/18 Rating 5 stars

14. Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.

15. Diana's task: I am from Romania. Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.

16. D.G.'s task: I was born in the Dominican Republic. Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.

The House Of The Spirits by Isabel Allende
Completed 15/3/18 Rating 3 stars

Isabel Allende was born in Peru and raised in Chile.

17. Eggp's task: I'm always trying to pester a certain friend to read/discuss books with me, but it's like pulling teeth. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.

Along Came A Spider by James Patterson
Completed 25/4/18 Rating 4 stars

18. Gail W's task: I am second generation Scotch/Irish and finally was able this summer to visit Ireland for the first time in my life. Read a book by an Irish writer.

Evening Class by Maeve Binchy
Completed 22/6/18 Rating 4 stars

19. Gilraens's task: I lived in three different countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries.

In mijn dromen by Simone van der Vlugt
Completed 23/3/18 Rating 3 stars

The Netherlands

20. Gem's task: I was born in 1966. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.

21. Greg's task: My brother was drafted in the Vietnam War and sent to Plieku where he got to participate in the Tet Offensive. Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.

22. Gretchen's task: I have identical twin girls. Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.

23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist.

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Completed 2/1/18 Rating 2 stars

24. Ilona's task: Ilona is a Hungarian female given name, the traditional name of the Queen of the Fairies in Magyar folklore. Read a book about fairy folklore.

De Indische waterlelies (The Indian Water Lilies) by Efteling - Queen Fabiola of Belgium
Completed 12/5/18 Rating 3 stars

25. Inkeri's task: Almost three years ago I decided to turn my life upside down and went back to school to become a radiographer. Physics is obviously a big part of my occupation. Read a book about physics.

27. Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.

28. Jenny's task: I've had a heart transplant. Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.

29. Jessica's task: I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Montreal, and now live in Minnesota. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.

30. Jill's task: My grandmothers parents came to America form Ireland. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.

31. Kadijah Michelle's task: I converted to Islam in my early 20s. Read a book about a Muslim woman.

32. Kristin's task: I really enjoy reading the stories that are "sprinkled" amongst the recipes in cookbooks. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.

33. Kylie's task: My favourite hobby is making shoes, since I have small feet and could never buy nice shoes. Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Completed 26/3/18 Rating 5 stars

The silver shoes and not ruby slippers like in the film!

34. Laura's task: I like to read book set in places I've actually visited. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.

Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers by Alexander McCall Smith
Completed 31/1/18 Rating 4 stars

I lived in Edinburgh.

35. Lauri's task: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and live there still. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.

37. Lindsay's task: I love animals. Read a book about or featuring an animal.

Five Get into Trouble by Enid Blyton
Completed 7/1/18 Rating 4 stars

Timmy the dog

38. Lois' task: I am a genealogist. Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.

39. Mie's task: I have just been to the annual office Christmas party. Read a book that includes or features a party.

40. Nikinnia's task: I am a Southern, Black woman. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Completed 22/1/18 Rating 4 stars

Tom Robinson is African American & the story is set in Alabama

41. Nikki's task: My favorite thing about reading a good book is the escapism factor. I can go anywhere or live any adventure. Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.

Candide by Voltaire
Completed 4/4/18 Rating 4 stars

Candide travels through Europe, the Americas and the Ottoman Empire.

42. Rachael's task: My name was popular in the 1990s, the decade in which I was born. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket
Completed 11/3/18 Rating 3 stars

Published 30 September 1999

43. Rebecca's task: I want to be an art teacher someday. Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.

44. Rique's task: My mother and mother-in-law lived through most of the tumultuous 20th century. Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).

45. Sarah's task: Growing up there were rumors that my great-grandmother had local mafia/mob connections. Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob.

46. Sheila's task: I am a decades old first-generation citizen. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.

Milk Glass Moon by Adriana Trigiani
Completed 23/2/18 Rating 4 stars

USA & Italy

47. Susy's task: I was raised in the Netherlands but both my parents are Portuguese. My primary language is Dutch but my first language or mother tongue was Portuguese. Read a book in your mother language/tongue.

Committed: A Sceptic Makes Peace with Marriage. by Elizabeth Gilbert by Elizabeth Gilbert
Completed 11/4/18 Rating 3 stars

English

20/20

Challenge completed

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Sep 22, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) I'm going to try to do all 47! I did warn you that I like planning! :-)

17/47

1. Adriana's task: Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character. Orlando
2. Amanda's task: Read a book which has been translated from another language. The Man Who Spoke Snakish
3. Anna's task: Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Outlaw
4. Aparajita's task: Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).
5. April's task: Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. The Innocent
6. Blagica's task: Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile. Anna Karenina
7. Candiss' task: Read a work of epistolary fiction.
8. Charity's task: Read a book about mental illness. The Bell Jar
9. Cheri's task: Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages. The Iron King

10. Chloe's task: Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author. Hag-Seed
11. Claire's task: Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology. Mother Nile
12. Daph's task: Read a book recommended by a friend or family member. HHhH
13. Debra's task: Read a book about a serial killer or true crime. Ted Bundy: The Crimes of America's Most Notorious Serial Killer
14. Delitealex's task: Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book. Her Fearful Symmetry
15. Diana's task: Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian. Life Begins on Friday
16. D.G.'s task: Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
17. Eggp's task: Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read. The Wasp Factory
18. Gail W's task: Read a book by an Irish writer. The Likeness

19. Gilraens's task: Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries. The Marlowe Papers
20. Gem's task: Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966. The Disorderly Knights
21. Greg's task: Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription. The Things They Carried
22. Gretchen's task: Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin. On The Black Hill
23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist. Secrets in the Snow
24. Ilona's task: Read a book about fairy folklore.The Fairy Tales of Hermann Hesse
25. Inkeri's task: Read a book about physics. The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
26. Jennifer B's task: Read a book about a big family. The Red Tent
27. Jennifer N’s task: Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair. Anne of Green Gables
28. Jenny's task: Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine. Every Second Counts: The Race to Transplant the First Human Heart

29. Jessica's task: Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.
30. Jill's task: Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.
31. Kadijah Michelle's task: Read a book about a Muslim woman. I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
32. Kristin's task: Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.
33. Kylie's task: Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.
34. Laura's task: Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived. Death in Venice
35. Lauri's task: Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island. Captive Paradise: The Story of the United States and Hawaii
36. Leona's task: Read a book about art. Luncheon of the Boating Party
37. Lindsay's task: Read a book about or featuring an animal. A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
38. Lois' task: Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past. In the Blood
39. Mie's task: Read a book that includes or features a party. And Then There Were None
40. Nikinnia's task: Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South. A Streetcar Named Desire
41. Nikki's task: Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place. The Eyre Affair
42. Rachael's task: Read a book published between 1990 and 1999. Midwinter of the Spirit
43. Rebecca's task: Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.
44. Rique's task: Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945). Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
45. Sarah's task: Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob. The Godfather
46. Sheila's task: Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures. The Kite Runner
47. Susy's task: Read a book in your mother language/tongue. The Picture of Dorian Gray

message 9: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) This is such a fun challenge! Reading the list I remembered some of my 2017 books that would have fitted nicely lol, but it's 2018 now.

I want to do all 47 but that's not realistic because all of my 2018 books have already been picked lol
I want to read 48 books this year, hopefully half of them I can use for this challenge so I'll go for 24!

message 10: by Sheila (last edited Dec 01, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Sheila | 97 comments I'm going for 8.
2. Amanda - translated
3. Anna - Disney name - Alice
4. Aparajta - Indian language-The Hangman's Daughter
7. Candiss' task: Read a work of epistolary fiction. - Griffin and Sabine
8. Charity - mental illness - The Silver Linings Playbook
9. Cheri - Middle Ages - A Morbid Taste for Bones
12. Daph - recommended book
14. Delitealex - ghost/horror - The Jekyll Revelation
20. Gem - 6
25. Inkeri - physics - "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!": Adventures of a Curious Character
30. Jill - takes place in Kerala/India
34. Laura - book set where you've been - A Dirty Job
41. Nikki - main character is transported
46. Sheila - cultural crossection -A Cold Day For Murder

message 11: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Feb 28, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I'm going to try for all of them. Probably won't make it, but they all look like so much fun!

1. Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.
2. Read a book which has been translated from another language. Tafsir Ibn Kathir Volume 1 0f 10
3. Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.
Modern Wicked Fairy Tales: The Complete Collection
4. Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).
5. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.
6. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.
7. Read a work of epistolary fiction.
8. Read a book about mental illness.
9. Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.
10. Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.
11. Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.
12. Read a book recommended by a friend or family member. - Matilda
13. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.
14. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.
15. Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.
16. Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.
17. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.
18. Read a book by an Irish writer.
19. (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand) Read a book by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries. Not Dead Yet: The Memoir
20. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.
21. Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.
22. Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.
23. Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist. Tuesdays with Morrie
24. Read a book about fairy folklore.
25. Read a book about physics. - A Brief History of Time
26. Read a book about a big family.
27. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.
28. Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.
29. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold. The Road
30. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.
31. Read a book about a Muslim woman.
32. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking.
33. Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.
34. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.
35. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.
36. Read a book about art.
37. Read a book about or featuring an animal. (The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe)
38. Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past. Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
39. Read a book that includes or features a party.
40. Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.
41. Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.
42. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999. - High Fidelity
43. Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.
44. Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945). - The Big Sleep
45. Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob. (The Client)
46. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures. The Lightning Thief
47. Read a book in your mother language/tongue.

11/47

message 12: by Mie (last edited May 30, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

Mie | 1877 comments Cooool - Thanks to everybody who contributed to this challenge!
I will try to complete 30 of the tasks :-)

35/35 (updated goal from 30) - COMPLETE ✔️

✅ 1. Book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - 4,5⭐️

✅ 2. Book which has been translated from another language
Solen var vidne - 4⭐️

✅ 3. Book where any character has the same name as any Disney character
4:50 from Paddington - 4,5⭐️

✅ 5. Book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the US
Spirit Bound (Ebook) - 4⭐️

✅ 6. Book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile
American Gods - 3⭐️

✅ 7. Work of epistolary fiction
Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - 3,5⭐️

✅ 8. Book about mental illness
Turtles All the Way Down - 5⭐️

✅ 9. Book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages
The Last Jew - 4,5⭐️

✅ 11. Book about a Pharoah/set in Egypt/archeology
Murder in Mesopotamia (Ebook) - 5⭐️

✅ 12. Book recommended by a friend or family member
Insurgent (Ebook) - 3,5⭐️

✅ 13. Book about a serial killer or true crime
Victim Without a Face (Audio) - 3,5⭐️

✅ 14. Book with ghosts or a horror book
The Lovely Bones - 3⭐️

✅ 16. Book with a Hispanic character, author or setting
Captains Courageous - 4⭐️

✅ 17. Read a book with a friend, or participate in a buddy read
Still Me - 4,5⭐️

✅ 19. Book by an author from NL, UK or NZ or set in one of those countries
Far from the Madding Crowd - 2,5⭐️

✅ 23. Book where a writer/author is the protagonist
Origin - 5⭐️

✅ 24. Book about fairy folklore
The Tales of Beedle the Bard - 4⭐️

✅ 26. Book with a big family involved some way
Romeo and Juliet - 2,5⭐️

✅ 27. Book with a red haired person or author
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - 3⭐️

✅ 28. Book about surgery or the history of medicine
The Chemistry of Death - 4⭐️

✅ 29. Book that takes place somewhere that begins with M or where the winters are very cold
The Martian - 4,5⭐️

✅ 30. Book that takes place where an ancestor's lived
Lime's Photograph - 3⭐️

✅ 32. Cookbook with stories or a book about cooking
Summer Desserts - 3,5⭐️

✅ 34. Book set somewhere you have visited or lived
Pagten - 4⭐️

✅ 35. Book set in Hawaii OR on a tropical island
Et forjættet land - 3,5⭐️

✅ 36. Book about art -
Five Little Pigs - 4⭐️

✅ 37. Book about or featuring an animal
Dybet (Audio) - 4⭐️

✅ 38. Book about searching or the search for family history or discovering your past
The Cuckoo's Calling - 5⭐️

✅ 40. Book by an Afro-American author or has Afro-American character or set in the south
Uncle Tom's Cabin - 4,5⭐️

✅ 41. Book where the protagonist is transported to a different time or place
The Time Machine - 2⭐️

✅ 42. Book pub. in the 90’s
Batman: The Long Halloween - 2,5⭐️

✅ 43. Book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher
Cat Among the Pigeons - 4⭐️

✅ 44. Book taking place anywhere from the great depression through WWII
Hvilken befrielse: Fortælling fra en barndom i nazismens og retsopgørets skygge - Ny revideret udgave - 2,5⭐️

✅ 46. Book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures
De voksnes rækker - 4⭐️

✅ 47. Book in your mother language
Hr. Penumbras døgnåbne bogbutik - 4⭐️

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Burton | 234 comments I'll start with 5 but may very well exceed since there is a series I tend to read that have four or more kids

message 14: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 27, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 314 comments I am in for at least 25. Hopefully I can get them all done.

1. Adriana's task: A Court of Thorns and Roses

2. Amanda's task: Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster

3. Anna's task:Big Little Lies Jane from Tarzan

5. April's task: Preservation

6. Blagica's task: Crime and Punishment

7. Candiss' task: Frankenstein

10. Chloe's task:The Spookshow

12. Daph's task: If There Be Thorns

14. Delitealex's task: Snatchers

16. D.G.'s task: I Take Thee to Deceive

18. Gail W's task: Dracula

19. Gilraens's task: In Cold Blood

22. Gretchen's task: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

23. Hemangini's task: A Walk in the Woods

27. Jennifer N’s task: Anne of Green Gables

29. Jessica's task: Pippi Goes on Board

30. Jill's task: A Monster Calls

34. Laura's task: The Westing Game

37. Lindsay's task: Animal Farm

39. Mie's task: The Great Gatsby

40. Nikinnia's task: The Awakening

41. Nikki's task: It's About Time: A Mysterious Time Travel Conspiracy

42. Rachael's task: First King of Shannara

43. Rebecca's task:Talk of the Town

46. Sheila's task:North and South

47. Susy's task:Christine

message 15: by Maca (last edited Dec 06, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Maca (thestarsinhiseyes) | 206 comments I'm in for challenges 2, 3, 6, 12 , 16, 42 and 47

6/7

***21.01 completed task 42 - Batman: El largo Halloween

***02.02 completed task 2 - La Isla del Tesoro

***03.02 completed task 3 - A todos los chicos de los que me enamoré

***13.03 completed task 16 - Quién de nosotros

***07.04 completed task 47 - Delirio

***09.09 completed task 12 - Seda

message 16: by Charity (last edited Nov 30, 2018 09:33PM) (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 1465 comments I'm going to try for 15.

28/20

1. Adriana's task: Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character. After You by Jojo Moyes 1/27/18

2. Amanda's task: Read a book which has been translated from another language.

3. Anna's task: Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer 6/24/18 (Christopher)

4. Aparajita's task: Read a book written in a language that appears on the Indian currency, other than English. (Read a translation if you don't speak/read any of those languages).

5. April's task: Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw 7/16/18

6. Blagica's task: Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.

7. Candiss' task: Read a work of epistolary fiction. Sadie by Courtney Summers 10/21/18

8. Charity's task: Read a book about mental illness. A Tragic Kind of Wonderful by Eric Lindstrom 1/7/18

9. Cheri's task: Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages. And I Darken by Kiersten White 4/27/18

10. Chloe's task: Read a book set in Canada or by a Canadian author.

11. Claire's task: Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.

12. Daph's task: Read a book recommended by a friend or family member. Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman 2/24/18

13. Debra's task: Read a book about a serial killer or true crime. Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter 8/27/18

14. Delitealex's task: Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book. The Diviners by Libba Bray 2/21/18

15. Diana's task: Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.

16. D.G.'s task: Read a book with a Hispanic author, character, or setting.

17. Eggp's task: Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 2/10/18

18. Gail W's task: Read a book by an Irish writer.

19. Gilraens's task: (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries.Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes 2/11/18

20. Gem's task: Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966. 11/22/63 by Stephen King 2/4/18

21. Greg's task: Read a book about the Vietnam War or about conscription.

22. Gretchen's task: Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin. The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli 1/18/18

23. Hemangini's task: Read a book where a writer/author is the main protagonist. Origin by Dan Brown 1/23/18

24. Ilona's task: Read a book about fairy folklore.

25. Inkeri's task: Read a book about physics.

26. Jennifer B's task: Read a book about a big family. - A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle 4/22/18

27. Jennifer N’s task: Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair. Daughter of the Pirate King by Tricia Levenseller 7/13/18

28. Jenny's task: Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.

29. Jessica's task: Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold.

30. Jill's task: Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived. City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab 10/18/18

31. Kadijah Michelle's task: Read a book about a Muslim woman. When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon 7/22/18

33. Kylie's task: Read a book about someone who makes shoes, a book where shoes have an important role, or a (micro-)history of a shoe designer/brand.

34. Laura's task: Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived. Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin 11/3/18

35. Lauri's task: Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island.

36. Leona's task: Read a book about art. Tuesday Nights in 1980 by Molly Prentiss 1/13/18

37. Lindsay's task: Read a book about or featuring an animal.

38. Lois' task: Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past. The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson 2/10/18

39. Mie's task: Read a book that includes or features a party. A List of Cages 1/29/18

40. Nikinnia's task: Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South. Dear Martin by Nic Stone 9/23/18

41. Nikki's task: Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place. Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige 1/14/18

42. Rachael's task: Read a book published between 1990 and 1999. Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami 1/18/18

43. Rebecca's task: Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson 7/8/18

44. Rique's task: Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945). The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton 4/15/16

45. Sarah's task: Read a book that is centered around the mafia/mob.

46. Sheila's task: Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.

47. Susy's task: Read a book in your mother language/tongue. One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus 1/28/18

message 17: by Nikki (last edited Jul 18, 2018 06:53AM) (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments **New Goal - 20

24/20 -- Goal and Challenge Complete!!

1. Adriana's task: Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.
*Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
*The Vegetarian
3. Anna's task: Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.
*Doll Bones (Alice - Alice In Wonderland)
5. April's task: Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.
6. Blagica's task: Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile.
7. Candiss' task: Read a work of epistolary fiction
*Stolen: A Letter to My Captor
8. Charity's task: Read a book about mental illness.
9. Cheri's task: Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.
*The River
11. Claire's task: Read a book about Pharaoh, a book set in Egypt, or a book about archaeology.
12. Daph's task: Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.
*The Book of Speculation
13. Debra's task: Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.
*The Butterfly Garden
14. Delitealex's task: Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.
*Colony of the Lost
15. Diana's task: Read a book by a Romanian author, about Romania's culture or about a famous Romanian.
*Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
17. Eggp's task: Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read.
19. Gilraens's task: (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries
20. Gem's task: Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.
22. Gretchen's task: Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.
*The Thirteenth Tale
*A Wrinkle in Time
26. Jennifer B's task: Read a book about a big family.
*Norse Mythology
27. Jennifer N’s task: Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.
*Anne of Green Gables
28. Jenny's task: Read a book about surgery or the history of medicine.
*Doll House
30. Jill's task: Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived.
31. Kadijah Michelle's task: Read a book about a Muslim woman.
34. Laura's task: Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.
The Dive From Clausen's Pier
36. Leona's task: Read a book about art.
*Animal Farm
38. Lois' task: Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.
*The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane
39. Mie's task: Read a book that includes or features a party.
*Memoirs of a Geisha
40. Nikinnia's task: Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South. *The Hate U Give
41. Nikki's task: Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.
*Sleeping Beauties
42. Rachael's task: Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.
*The Sinner
43. Rebecca's task: Read a book where the main character enjoys creating art or is a teacher.
44. Rique's task: Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).
*The Zookeeper's Wife
46. Sheila's task: Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures.
*Eleanor and the Iron King
47. Susy's task: Read a book in your mother language/tongue.
*We Were Liars

message 18: by Debra (last edited Nov 22, 2018 12:00PM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments I'm in for 19
Anastasia – Fifty Shades Freed

5. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. Angel Falls
6. Blagica's task: I am sitting here reading Under the Dome, a book with over 1000 pages. Read a book that intimidates you or the biggest book on your TBR Pile. Under the Dome
7. Candiss' task: I have a love for epistolary fiction - books that are written as a series of documents - traditionally letters or diary/journal entries but now also sources such as newspaper articles/clippings, emails, text messages, blog posts - even transcribed audio recordings. Read a work of epistolary fiction. We Need to Talk About Kevin
8. Charity's task: One of my best friends is bipolar and I've been trying to read books related to bipolar disorder to better understand her. Read a book about mental illness. Still Alice
13. Debra's task: My interest in serial killers led me to write to a few of them. Read a book about a serial killer or true crime. Ted and Ann: The Mystery of a Missing Child and Her Neighbor Ted Bundy
14. Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book. The Mist
17. Eggp's task: I'm always trying to pester a certain friend to read/discuss books with me, but it's like pulling teeth. Read a book with a friend or participate in a buddy read. Sleeping Beauties

18. Gail W's task: I am second generation Scotch/Irish and finally was able this summer to visit Ireland for the first time in my life. Read a book by an Irish writer. Dracula
19 Gilraens's task: I lived in three different countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand). Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries. Me Before You
20. Gem's task: I was born in 1966. Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966. 61 Hours
24. Ilona's task: Ilona is a Hungarian female given name, the traditional name of the Queen of the Fairies in Magyar folklore. Read a book about fairy folklore. The Bear and the Nightingale
27. Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair.Everblue
29. Jessica's task: I grew up in Massachusetts, went to college in Montreal, and now live in Minnesota. Read a book that takes place somewhere that begins with the letter M or someplace where the winters are very cold. Duma Key(Setting in St. Paul Minnesota
30. Jill's task: My grandmothers parents came to America form Ireland. Read a book that takes place where one of your ancestor's lived. He Who Fears the Wolf
34. Laura's task: I like to read book set in places I've actually visited. Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived. Stillhouse Lake (Tennessee)
35. Lauri's task: I was born and raised in Hawaii, and live there still. Read a book set in Hawaii or on a tropical island. Swimsuit
42. Rachael's task: My name was popular in the 1990s, the decade in which I was born. Read a book published between 1990 and 1999. The Pact

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Twiggs (twiggssl) | 90 comments So exited for this challenge. I’m in for 10!

message 20: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments I'm in for 20!

message 21: by ReGina (new)

ReGina (regifabulous) | 268 comments 1/20

1. Adriana's task - Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character - I Almost Forgot About You

message 22: by Carri (new)

Carri | 316 comments I am in for 5.

message 23: by Aparajita (new)

Aparajita Raychaudhury (aparajir) | 31 comments Put me down for 12, one a month ... Love this challenge idea!

Might exceed it if the books I read for my other challenges end up fitting some of the prompts :)

message 24: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Jan 02, 2018 11:29PM) (new)

Ilona | 3811 comments Welcome to the challenge, everyone! It is great to see you all so enthusiastic :)

message 25: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1877 comments Update msg 12: 3/30
✅ 46. Book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures - De voksnes rækker - 4⭐️

message 26: by Shala (new)

Shala | 181 comments I'll try 10 challenges.

message 27: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments I will go for 5 challenges

message 28: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts | 180 comments Completed 1/5

Rebecca's Challenge-A character enjoys art

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

message 29: by Jenny (last edited Jan 03, 2018 12:39PM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) Have completed my task (read a book about surgery or the history of medicine). 5 ⭐ and my review can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 30: by Susy (last edited Nov 24, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Susy (susysstories) Susy's The Members' Task Challenge
Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2018

1. Adriana's task: Read a book where a character makes a big change or with a librarian as a main character.
Winter
(Cinder goes from being a mechanic to being the Queen)

De eindeloze nacht

3. Anna's task: Read a book where any character's name matches with any Disney character's name. Example: Peter from The Chronicles of Narnia - Peter Pan.
Sense and Sensibility
John Dashwood - Little John (Robin Hood)

5. April's task: Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.

Praktijkboek EMDR: Casusconceptualisatie en specifieke patiëntengroepen

7. Candiss' task: Read a work of epistolary fiction.
De regen voor hij valt
(transcribed audio recordings)

8. Charity's task: Read a book about mental illness.
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

9. Cheri's task: Read a book that is about or takes place in the Middle Ages.

12. Daph's task: Read a book recommended by a friend or family member.
Cross Fire

13. Debra's task: Read a book about a serial killer or true crime.
Teerbemind

14. Delitealex's task: Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.
Lightning

17. Eggp's task: Participate in a buddy read.
The Mysterious Affair at Styles

19. Gilraens's task: Read a by an author from one of those three countries or set in one of those countries (Netherlands, UK and New Zealand).
Aarsrivalen, scheldkarbonades en terminale baden
(Dutch author: Ewoud Sanders)

20. Gem's task: Read a book with a "6" (six) in the title or one that is set or published in 1966.

22. Gretchen's task: Read a book featuring a main character who is an identical twin.

Makkelijk leven

26. Jennifer B's task: Read a book about a big family.

Het Noorderlicht/Het gouden kompas

De stad der blinden
(Lisbon)

31. Kadijah Michelle's task: Read a book about a Muslim woman.

34. Laura's task: Read a book set somewhere you have visited or lived.
The Angel of Darkness
(New York)

36. Leona's task: Read a book about art.
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Wijsheid op vier poten

38. Lois' task: Read a story about a search for family history or discovering your past.
De vreugde en gelukclub

39. Mie's task: Read a book that includes or features a party.
Heartless

40. Nikinnia's task: Read a book by an African American author, with an African American character or set in the South.
Sing, Unburied, Sing

41. Nikki's task: Read a book where the main character gets transported to a different time or place.
Ready Player One

42. Rachael's task: Read a book published between 1990 and 1999.
Liefde liegt: Wat mannen niet weten en vrouwen niet willen toegeven
(1994)

44. Rique's task: Read a book, fiction or historical fiction, taking place anywhere from the Great Depression through WWII (1929-1945).
The Book Thief

47. Susy's task: Read a book in your mother language/tongue.
A Vida, Uma Viagem de Malas Feitas

Tasks completed: 24/24

message 31: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushi1) | 98 comments I'm in for 12.

message 32: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1877 comments Update msg 12: 4/30
✅ 11. Book about a Pharoah/set in Egypt/archeology - Murder in Mesopotamia - 5⭐️

message 33: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I'm going for ten!

message 34: by Shala (new)

Shala | 181 comments I'm in for 24.

message 35: by Mars (new)

Mars (scxrletmars) | 67 comments I updated my goal on msg 6. I also changed my goal from 3 to 10.

2/10 tasks completed

message 36: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3811 comments Updated! Good luck with the challenge! :)

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica H (Minnesota) (jessicah-mn) | 74 comments Count me in for 20 Books. I love all the member tasks. This will be a very fun challenge.

message 38: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1877 comments Update msg 12: 5/30
✅ 37. Book about or featuring an animal - Dybet (Audio) - 4⭐️

message 39: by Aparajita (new)

Aparajita Raychaudhury (aparajir) | 31 comments I just finished my first task for this challenge.

Jennifer N’s task: I have red hair, which not many people do. Read a book where either the main character or the author has red hair. - I read The Kind Worth Killing. Lily, whom the book centers around, has flaming red hair!

message 40: by Kylie🐾 (new)

Kylie🐾 (kylienerdrose) | 6 comments Just to be clear number 33 is for me right ? If so i am so down for this and I will get on it straight away.

message 41: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Jan 05, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Ilona | 3811 comments Kylie wrote: "Just to be clear number 33 is for me right ? If so i am so down for this and I will get on it straight away."

You are not the person who submitted the task, but that doesn't matter at all for this challenge.
If you want to join, you can set a goal for the total number of tasks you want to complete for this challenge, and then read a book for each task. You don't have to do the one that matches your name, we just asked members to come up with tasks and Kylie wrote about her hobby to make shoes :)
Does that make sense?

message 42: by Kylie🐾 (new)

Kylie🐾 (kylienerdrose) | 6 comments Ilona wrote: "Kylie wrote: "Just to be clear number 33 is for me right ? If so i am so down for this and I will get on it straight away."

You are not the person who submitted the task, but that doesn't matter a..."

Of course it makes sense now. I am sorry for the confusion :D. My apologies to the other Kylie.

If that be the case I would like to set a goal of 10 books.
So do I just choose 10 books from the numbers of tasks listed above?

message 43: by Chelin (last edited Jan 25, 2018 11:14AM) (new)

Chelin Sign me up for 10! :D I'm looking forward to this. I've never participated in a reading challenge before, so it'll be fun to have to fit my reading into particular categories like this.

1. ✅ Delitealex's task: I love to watch ghost shows on TV. Read a book with ghosts in it or read a horror book.: The Uninvited
2. April's task: I live in the woods of north-central Washington state and I grew up in Oregon. Read a book that takes place in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.: The Crooked River

message 44: by Kylie🐾 (new)

Kylie🐾 (kylienerdrose) | 6 comments I will do 10 also :D

message 45: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Stream and Pool wrote: "Sign me up for 10! :D I'm looking forward to this. I've never participated in a reading challenge before, so it'll be fun to have to fit my reading into particular categories like this."

Good luck with your first reading challenge :)
It's a fun one!

message 46: by Arlo (new)

Arlo | 83 comments I'll try for three!

message 47: by Debra H (last edited Jan 01, 2019 05:28PM) (new)

Debra H | 53 comments I'm in. I'll aim for 20

38/20

1. Adriana's task: The Outsiders

2. Amanda's task: The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism

3. Anna's task: Gone Rogue

4. Aparajita's task:

5. April's task: Lifel1k3

6. Blagica's task: Mastiff

7. Candiss' task: Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary of Hattie Campbell

8. Charity's task: Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things

9. Cheri's task: In the Hand of the Goddess

10. Chloe's task: The Heart Goes Last

11. Claire's task: The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb

12. Daph's task: Nimona

13. Debra's task: Stalking Jack the Ripper

14. Delitealex's task: Terrier

15. Diana's task:

16. D.G.'s task: This Is Where It Ends

17. Eggp's task:

18. Gail W's task:

19. Gilraens's task: Quidditch Through the Ages

20. Gem's task:

21. Greg's task:

22. Gretchen's task: The Thirteenth Tale

23. Hemangini's task: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

24. Ilona's task: The Two Princesses of Bamarre

25. Inkeri's task:

26. Jennifer B's task: The Sea of Monsters

27. Jennifer N’s task: Alanna: The First Adventure

28. Jenny's task: Tempests and Slaughter

29. Jessica's task: First Test

30. Jill's task: La Belle Sauvage

31. Kadijah Michelle's task:

32. Kristin's task: Geekerella

33. Kylie's task:

34. Laura's task: Hear My Sorrow: The Diary of Angela Denoto, a Shirtwaist Worker, New York City 1909

35. Lauri's task: Emperor Mage

36. Leona's task: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

37. Lindsay's task: Squire

38. Lois' task: The Lightning Thief

39. Mie's task: Wires and Nerve

40. Nikinnia's task: Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max

41. Nikki's task: The Realms of the Gods

42. Rachael's task: Sailor Moon, Vol. 1

43. Rebecca's task: Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography

44. Rique's task: The Five People You Meet in Heaven

45. Sarah's task: Heart Vol. 1

46. Sheila's task: The Girl from the Other Side: Siúil, A Rún, Volume 1

47. Susy's task: The Black Stallion

message 48: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3811 comments Kylie wrote: "So do I just choose 10 books from the numbers of tasks listed above?"

Yep, 10 books to match 10 tasks. Good luck! :)

message 49: by Reija (last edited Jan 06, 2018 02:39AM) (new)

Reija | 305 comments I'll try 20.

1. 32. Kristin's task: I really enjoy reading the stories that are "sprinkled" amongst the recipes in cookbooks. Read a cookbook with stories or a book about cooking. Three Squares: The Invention of the American Meal

2. 46. Sheila's task: I am a decades old first-generation citizen. Read a book about living in the intersection of 2 or more cultures. An Experience Definitely Worth Allegedly Having: Travel Stories from The Hairpin

2/20

message 50: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1877 comments Update msg 12: 6/30
✅ 40. Book by an Afro-American author or has Afro-American character or set in the south - Uncle Tom's Cabin - 4,5⭐️

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8