Start by marking “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

(The Five People You Meet in Heaven)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  518,677 ratings  ·  18,581 reviews
From the author of the phenomenal #1 New York Times bestseller Tuesdays with Morrie, a novel that explores the unexpected connections of our lives, and the idea that heaven is more than a place; it's an answer.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday
Paperback, First, 196 pages
Published September 23rd 2003 by Hyperion (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Five People You Meet in Heaven, please sign up.
Karim Farag Definitely yes, Albom used simple, clear language in this book.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Best Books Ever
54,134 books — 188,516 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Books of the Decade: 2000s
6,614 books — 27,875 voters

More lists with this book...

·  518,677 ratings  ·  18,581 reviews

AJ Griffin
Jul 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drippy, sentimental pieces of shit who love lifetime tv movies
what providence: i just remembered this book after I read some holier-than-though pretentious bullshit Mitch Albom wrote about Harry Potter. Mr. Albom-Winfrey seems to think the mass marketing of Harry Potter has ruined the theoretical lives of such figures as Winnie the Pooh, Clifford, Curious George, etc., despite that his own shitty books have been thrust upon the world under the same kind of marketing blitz.

As if I weren't annoyed enough at his article, I was subsequently reminded of this l
Fretty
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: novel
"Lost love is still love, Eddie. It just takes a different form, that's all. You can't hold their hand... You can't tousle their hair... But when those senses weaken another one comes to life... Memory... Memory becomes your partner. You hold it... you dance with it... Life has to end, Eddie... Love doesn't."

The book that taught me the idea of death, God and life's never ending unanswered questions.

I vaguely remember when exactly I read this but I remember I read this couple of months before I
Gunne
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't understand the one star reviews for the book. Are these directed to the author, Mitch Albom, because he openly dissed the Harry Potter phenomena via a 594-word short story? Because as far as I can tell, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a decent piece of literature that doesn't deserve the harsh punishment (presumably) directed to its writer. It's well-written, has a handful of good quotes, and is overall an inspiring and personal take on one's idea of the moment between death and th ...more
Charlotte May
Reread Feb 2019

No matter how many times I read this book, its effect on me remains the same. Heart breaking and heart warming in equal measure.

"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves."

****************************************

Original review

This book led Mitch Albom to become one of my favourite authors.
It's such a wonderful idea, that when yo
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom
The Five People You Meet In Heaven is a novel by Mitch Albom. It follows the life and death of a maintenance man named Eddie. Eddie is killed and sent to heaven, where he encounters five people who had a significant impact upon him while he was alive. It was published in 2003 by Hyperion and remained on the New York Times Best Seller list for 95 weeks.
عنوانها: پنج نفری که در بهشت به ملاقات شما میآیند؛در بهشت پنج نفر منتظر شما هستند؛ پنج وعده دیدار د
Jamie
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
One of the great things about checking out audiobooks from the public library is that I can take a chance on something I normally wouldn't buy, and I end up loving it. And then, of course, there are the times I take a chance on something I wouldn't normally like and end up really hating it as predicted. See if you can guess which is the case here by the end of this post.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is about Eddie, an amusement park maintenance guy who dies and goes to heaven. Spoiler alert
Ben
Jul 22, 2007 rated it did not like it
My face tightens into a mean spirited frown, I grind my teeth, my head starts to burn, I clench my fists, I begin to tremble; there is a tightness in my stomach. I rip the telephone off the wall and throw it out my nine-story window onto the street; I let out a barbaric, guttural, king-of-the-jungle, ape-like scream. I feel my pulse beating in my neck, a blood vessel snaps in the back of my head. I flip over my couch, CRASH! I kick a hole in the middle of my T.V. I like that my shin is cut, blee ...more
James
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-fiction
I enjoyed this book. It had a great voice, interesting characters and good messages. I liked how each of the 5 people were connected in different ways, some surprise. The style grabs you. I thought it was a good intro to learn more about how this author writes. Spiritual without getting too religious. Witty and charismatic on some levels. Endearing to see how you watch other people live, as well as guess what happens when you die. I will definitely read more from the author.
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Strangely, obliquely, like The Alchemist because this inspires strong emotions - most people will either like it alot and find inspiration and meaning, or loathe it entirely and dismiss it as drivel.

Similar in tone and emotion with his novel Tuesdays with Morrie. I think that the greatest achievement of this story is the dreamlike, subconscious mood and setting the author creates. He can get a bit syrupy, but not too bad to make this contextually a problem.

Albom raises some interesting, thought
Claire
Apr 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
I never had any desire to read this book (or Tuesdays with Morrie for that matter), but a girl in my LSAT class gave it to me to read, so I felt like I had to read it.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is an incredibly quick read. It has small pages with big font and the content is not at all challenging. You could easily read this book in a weekend. That said, I don't know if you would want to. While the book was mildly entertaining and held my interest (I kept wanting to know who Eddie would
Fergus
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHAT! Yet another sentimental old-timer gives this piece of jellied sugar syrup FIVE STARS? Y'er darned tootin', kids!

The younger generation only knows poor, dear Mitch Albom as the guy who's always hogging the spotlight on Super Soul Sundays - as the guy whom their parents would stop sleeping in on Sunday mornings to hear, if only he were to preach in their neighborhood church - and (horrors!) as the guy WHO DISSED HARRY POTTER!

But so what? Don't we ALL make mistakes? Take away the fancy Amazon

By Mitch Albom
208pp Passaic, New Jersey
ISBN-13: 9781401308582
Hyperion $10.80

This book was so amazing that it remained on the New York Best Seller List for 95 weeks. If the book wasn’t that marvelous why would it have remained there? Mitch Albom’s book The Five People You Meet In Heaven is an extraordinary book. You might think it’s a religious book because the title itself, but it isn’t.
Kellie
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006-reads
أروى
Jul 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
منذ مدة طويييلة لم أقرأ شيئا لامس أعماقي كهذا الكتاب، يجعلني أطرق وأفكر ، أنظر للبعيد الماضي وأتسائل عن القريب المقبل..

الكتاب يتحدث عن رجل مات في حادث أثناء تأديته لعمله في مدينة الملاهي ، بعد ذلك ينتقل هذا الرجل "إدي" إلى الجنة ليقابل هناك 5 أشخاص تقاطعوا معه بطريقة أو بأخرى في حياته..كل منهم كان ينتظره ليحكي له قصة كان لها تأثير على حياته وعلى تقرير مصيره في الدنيا، كانوا يساعدونه على فهم وتفسير كثير من الأمور التي لم يكن لها منطق واضح وقتها...

القصة مثيرة وترابط الأحداث متقن يظهر كم هي مصائر ا
Phrynne
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
This was okay but not as good as either The First Phone Call from Heaven or The Time Keeper. It was a pleasant enough story but it failed to really engross me in the various happenings.
Partly I think I found it an extremely weird idea of what Heaven might be like. The five people seemed a strange collection to me and I could understand if Eddie felt a bit miffed by who he got! I must admit I started thinking who I might want for my five people .........
Putting any criticism aside I read the book
Jonathan Ashleigh
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I get why old religious women might like this book, but it wasn't for me.
Ghazaleh
حالا دیگه میچ آلبوم شده یکی از نویسنده های محبوبم :)
داستان های میچ آلبوم همیشه تقریبا یه موضوع جدید و نویی دارن، و همیشه کتاب هاش پر از جمله های به یاد ماندنی و تاثیرگذاره. کتاب پنج نفر هم از این قضیه مستثنا نیست، اما به نظرم به خوبی کتاب های چاپ جدیدتر میچ نبود.
از وقتی کتاب رو تموم کردم دارم پیش خودم فکر میکنم ۵نفری که قراره من توی بهشت ملاقات کنم چه کسانی میتونن باشن؟ :دی
Rachel
Mar 31, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is just the most awful book I have ever read. I hate this book!
Roos
Jul 19, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: novelia, indonesian
Buku yang bagus terutama bagi yang suka memaknai dan menghargai Hidup, membuat kita untuk selalu bersyukur kepada Sang Pencipta.

Pelajaran 1:
Tidak ada kehidupan yang sia-sia. Satu-satunya waktu yang kita sia-siakan adalah waktu yang kita habiskan dengan mengira kita hanya sendirian.

Pelajaran 2:
Pengorbanan bagian dari kehidupan, bukan untuk disesali jika mengorbankan sesuatu yang berharga, karena kita tidak sungguh-sungguh kehilangan itu, Kita hanya meneruskannya pada orang lain.

Pelajaran 3:
MAAF.
Mikha ϟ
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Liz Janet
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Extreme simplification, ridiculous writing style, nonsense. Honestly, whatever this author was trying to do, whether making me cry tears of blood, philosophy over the meaning of life, or discover my connection with those around me, but he failed miserably at all of them.

How on the history of time was this book on the Bestseller list for over ninety weeks? I weep for humanity.
Maria Gad
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
" Lost love is still love, Eddie. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken, another heightens. Memory, Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it"
THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN tells the story of Eddie, the head of maintenance department at a well-known amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, Eddie had a severe accident. Along with Edd
Rachel Maniacup
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Rachel by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
Shelves: inspiring
Review to follow..
Shovelmonkey1
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people waiting for christmas
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: sheer profusion in local charity shops
I read this at Christmas but frankly after eating too many roasted vegetables, drinking too much merlot and making myself a comfortable nest out of discarded wrapping paper, I was disinclined to write a review. It's now six months later and I think I've finally worked off the last roasted potato so this seems like a timely juncture to write a review of The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Eddie works at the amusement park on the Ruby Pier. He's 83 and probably due for retirement. On his birthday,
Aj the Ravenous Reader
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The title alone got me reading this book and more when I found out the Mitch Albom wrote it since I am a big fan of his Tuesday's with Morrie. Though I did not like this book as much as I did Tuesday's, Mitch Albom again succeeded in inspiring his readers and moving them to have uniquely fresh view of death just like what he did in Tuesday's.
Christian Guzman
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It’s interesting seeing how heaven is perceived in someone else’s eyes. I do believe there is an afterlife of some sort, but I don’t know what exactly lies there. I think the concept presented in this book in which you meet five people that in one way or another shaped your life or are interconnected to you is clever. Furthermore, they explain to you about your purpose, destiny, and their involvement in you. This made me think about how it is true, there are many circumstances which affect your ...more
Vanessa
I appreciate the sentiments of this book, the messages although a little schmaltzy made you stop and think about your own reflections on life, the little differences and the impact you can make that can leave impressions on other people whether your aware of it or not. I wasn’t completely sold on the style of the writing or the overall message, as an agnostic I feel somewhat conflicted about the whole heaven thing so I feel 3 stars is being generous.
Lizzy _3
This book is very imaginative I'll give the author that much at least. I don't know if I liked the story so much as the way it was written. Don't get me wrong, the story was very creative and it made you think, but he wrote so poetically it was hard for the words not to sink into your soul. The story was about a old crippled man named Eddie. Eddie worked at an amusement park called Ruby Pier and he was the head maintenance worker. The book starts on the day of his death. There was this little gi ...more
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
5 stars:

-If your going through grief, I think this book could be helpful. This author is superb.
ستار شایسته فر ( ملی گرا)
زندگی ، مرک، عشق، نفرت، درد،و...داستان انسان بعد از مرگ کاش اینکونه بود و ما پنج نفر خود را ملافات میکردیم ، شاید زندگی توهمی بیش نیست ،
خواندن این اثر را به همه پیشنهاد میکنم
The Five People You Meet in Heaven (uhhh yea.. whats this?) 55 637 Feb 22, 2019 09:15AM
A couple of question about this book. 3 9 Feb 21, 2019 04:42PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Speak
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • White Oleander
  • Anna Karenina
  • Miles to Go (The Walk, #2)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • ABNKKBSNPLAKo?! (Mga Kwentong Chalk ni Bob Ong)
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • Sorrowful, Sorrowful Mysteries! (Kikomachine Komix, #7)
  • Salem Falls
  • Talking to Heaven: A Medium's Message of Life After Death
  • Just a Couple of Days
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2 books)
  • The Next Person You Meet in Heaven
“All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.” 4434 likes
“All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.” 2947 likes