Start by marking “Sputnik Sweetheart” as Want to Read:
Sputnik Sweetheart

Sputnik Sweetheart

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  75,584 Ratings  ·  4,215 Reviews
Haruki Murakami, the internationally bestselling author of Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, plunges us into an urbane Japan of jazz bars, coffee shops, Jack Kerouac, and the Beatles to tell this story of a tangled triangle of uniquely unrequited loves.

A college student, identified only as “K,” falls in love with his classmate, Sumire. But devotion to an untid
Published April 9th 2002 by Vintage (first published April 20th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Sputnik Sweetheart, please sign up.

Magaly Sáenz
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Nikolaos Kantanas It's worth reading. It really doesn't get very interesting until the last third of the book. The the wordplay of Murakami and the ideas he expresses…moreIt's worth reading. It really doesn't get very interesting until the last third of the book. The the wordplay of Murakami and the ideas he expresses make the book worth reading through to the end. Also there is an interesting ending.(less)

Dasha H
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Murakami virgins
Shelves: 2009

Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is, by any chance, a bad book. My low rating can be easily explained by the fact that I've already read too much Murakami.

I used to like him quite a lot, but come on, doesn't he get tired of writing the same book over and over again? Let me show you the pattern. A simple guy who likes to 1.cook 2.listen to music/read books 3. think about the meaning of life meets an ordinary girl who turns out to be totally extraordinary, which gets her into trouble soon a

Scarlet
"Reality was one step out of line, a cardigan with the buttons done up wrong."

I have come to realise that reading a Murakami book is not quite an act of reading itself but an act of dreaming with your eyes open. What you see is a series of surreal images barely held together by threads of reason. What matters however, is the feeling these images leave you with; an aftertaste that lingers and intensifies even as the world within these pages turns stranger and more disconcerting; until what you
Kevin Kelsey
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: _library, read-2015
This is my first time reading a Murakami novel. It was very good, and very weird. Either large sections are entirely metaphorical, or we've got some heavy unreliable narrator action going on. Honestly, either way or any combination of the 2 is totally fine with me; this book was beautifully written.

It was eerily similar to Christopher Priest's The Affirmation in themes and quite a few plot points. I can't help but think that Murakami is a fan of his.
Seth T.
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Murakami's special brand of genius.
After the excellent Kafka on the Shore and the perhaps much better Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, I've been on something of a Murakami kick. I find his storytelling fascinating, both in device and in style. His use of the extraordinary-as-mundane is a tasty joy for me to indulge. Sputnik Sweetheart, while not as wonderful an experience as the two aforementioned works, was quite a bit of quick fun.

Thematically not dissimilar from Wind-up Bird, this short novel revels in questions of identity, conscious
Vessey
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 4-stars, mystery
SPOILERS

She said: I really wanted to see you. When I couldn’t see you any more, I realized that. It was as clear as if the planets all of a sudden lined up in a row for me. I really need you. You’re a part of me; I’m a part of you.

He thought: We’re both looking at the same moon, in the same world. We’re connected to reality by the same line. All I have to do is quietly draw it towards me.

I might be doing a disservice to Haruki Murakami with my attitude, but the desperate romantic in me, romantic
Kelly
May 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Why does Haruki Murakami hit the spot so well for me, and for thousands of other readers worldwide? There's a common element in all his works; it's a bridge of fantasy and reality that has just the right delicate balance. There's something about that balance that's so mesmerizing. You can connect with it on a level that you can’t in pure fantasy, and there’s enough of a disconnect from solid reality to leave you in wonder. Of all the other writers that have been categorized as magical realism th ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ranee
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
Shelves: 1001-non-core
This is my 2nd novel by Haruki Murakami and just like Kafka in the Shore, this still amazed me. I even enjoyed this more than Kafka.

For me this is the best unrequited tragic love story I've read so far. As this is said to be the most openly emotional novel of Mr. Murakami, the prose is really haunting and the scenes are dreamy and surreal. Again, because Mr. Murakami uses a lot of metaphors and symbolisms, there can be layers of interpretations. I am not really fond of love stories (this just ha
Brendon Schrodinger
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, japan
I sat down to read ‘Sputnik Sweetheart’ the night David Bowie died.
It was a humid,still antipodean January night where you knew sleep would not come easily. My partner, less accomodating of the heat than I am, nevertheless went to bed around 11 leaving me to late night reading. Unusually for suburbia, the only sounds were the crickets chirping their mid-summer thrum, a white noise, innocuous and soothing. It was a sombre evening and so it, and I, felt Murakami-like. Lost.

‘Sputnik Sweetheart’ i
Nishat
Apr 30, 2015
Sherif Metwaly

إذا أردتَ أن تجرب إحساس الهلوسة التي تفصلك عن الواقع، وتسافر بك عبر الزمان والمكان إلى عالم خيالي، يخلو من الهم والحزن، ويمتلئ بالبهجة والسحر، أمامك وسيلتان: إما أن تتعاطي المخدرات، وإما أن تقرأ لموراكامي.

تمت
Mariel
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Laika is my dawg
Recommended to Mariel by: Be my 3am valentine
A moment in my life that has come back to haunt me during times of communication difficulty is when I told my grandmother that I hated to repeatedly shout out what I'd said for my mostly deaf grandfather because it made what I'd said sound stupid. Her response was that it was stupid all along, or something like that.
I've decided that reading translated works and translating them again with one's mind, experiences, what have you is like doing a cover song. Jeff Buckley actually used another Leona
helen the bookowl
This turned out to be quite an interesting read. For the most part, I was utterly bored when reading this book. It contains long passages of bland thoughts and descriptions, and I was starting to think that I had grown away from Haruki Murakami and his story-telling which I used to absolutely love (I have read quite a lot of his novels through the years).
However, halfway through the novel I encountered what was to become one of my favourite literary scenes (it contains a ferris wheel), and from
Kwesi 章英狮
When I asked my friend if she had tried to read Murakami's works, and she said no and she let me borrowed her one and only copy and it was given to her by her couple friend. And I was in doubt accepting her offer, because (1) It was given to her as a birthday gift and she didn't read it yet, fresh in the box; (2) some of my friends in Goodreads always talks about Murakami and his works so I decided to look for a free copy and lastly, (3) my insecurity works when I saw the cover, look, a nude wom ...more
Darwin8u
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
“The answer is dreams. Dreaming on and on. Entering the world of dreams and never coming out. Living in dreams for the rest of time.”
― Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart

description

A disappearing woman. Classical music. Cats. Dreams. Yup, I just finished another Murakami novel. I'm going to sleep and dream on this one tonight and write the review tomorrow. No really. I fully intend to write a real review, I'm just uncertain how I feel. Half of me wants to write a review, but the other half just wants to l
Tfitoby
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit, translation

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Blurb: Haruki Murakami, the internationally bestselling author of Norwegian Wood and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, plunges us into an urbane Japan of jazz bars, coffee shops, Jack Kerouac, and The Beatles to tell this story of a tangled triangle of uniquely unrequited loves.

K falls in love with Sumire but a devotion to an untidy writerly life precludes her from any personal commitments - until she meets Miu, an older sophisticated busi
Franco  Santos
3.5

Buen libro de Murakami. Creo que es una historia que desafía el absurdo de una pregunta: ¿se puede perder lo que nunca se ha tenido? Una ilusión, un anhelo a veces puede ser todo lo que se tiene. Una mirada y la esperanza de algo más es a lo que uno se aferra. Y cuando eso desaparece, la esperanza se esfuma junto con la llama que mantenía caliente al corazón. Y ya no queda nada más que frío, vacío y soledad.
Munif
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

عبقري.. عبقري.. عبقري

اقرأ هذا النص معي أكثر من مرة.

"غادرت الفراش. أزحت الستارة الشاحبة جانبًا وفتحت النافذة. أخرجت رأسي عبرها ورفعت بصري إلى السماء. بالتأكيد كان هناك قمر ترابي اللون معلق في السماء. جيد. كلانا ينظر إلى القمر نفسه في العالم عينه. كلانا مرتبط بالواقع بالخيط نفسه. كل ما عليَّ فعله سحبه بهدوء صوبي.
فتحت أصابع يدي وحدقت في راحتَيَّ بحثًا عن آثار دم. لم أجد شيئاً. لا رائحة دم. ولا بقع ولا تجلّط. لابد أن الدم، وبطريقته الصامتة الخاصة، تسرب داخلهما".

هذا الرجل عبقري، تائه بين العوالم.. بل
Katarina
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magijski realizam je definitivno my cup of tea.
Postoje neke sitnice koje su me podsetile na prethodno pročitano delo "Južno od granice, zapadno od sunca",Mju i Sumire su me na momente setile na Šimamoto, ali sve to je, nakon završetka romana, zanemarljivo. I kad bi se pojavio neki šablon, ne bi bilo bitno.
Ono što će mi ostati u sećanju jeste sama atmosfera koju Murakami oživljava sa svakom novom rečenicom. Ne pronalazim adekvatne reči kojima bih objasnila koliko me njegov stil opušta.
Knjigu sam,
Maria Clara
Es curioso lo que me pasa con este libro: sencillamente no puedo otorgarle ninguna estrella. Ni una. Es imposible. Es como si la historia estuviera por encima de 'las estrellas'. O girando en otra galaxia. (Ay, madre, cada vez estoy más loca...jajaja) Pero es así! Supongo que lo único que puedo decir es que sí, que me ha gustado.
Murat Dural
Haruki Murakami en sevdiğim yazarlardan. Dilini kullanışı, kurgusunda hiç solmayan mistik hava, akışkanlığı beni her kitabını okumaya zorluyor adeta. "Sputnik Sevgilim" yazarın binle ifade edilen eserlerine oranla "Koşmasaydım Yazamazdım" gibi kısa bir eser. Roman ve biyografik bir kitap olarak birbirlerinden ayrılıyorlar. Bence, eğer Murakami okumaya yeni başlayacaksanız ya da okunacak kısa bir Murakami metni arıyorsanız güzel bir tercih olabilir.
João Carlos
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l2016

Ilustração de noINKling

“A resposta está nos sonhos. Em sonhar e voltar a sonhar. Penetrar no mundo dos sonhos, para de lá nunca mais sair. Passar o resto da vida a sonhar.” (Pág. 185)

O escritor japonês Haruki Murakami (n. 1949) – eterno candidato a receber o Prémio Nobel da Literatura - surge em 2016, como principal favorito numa casa de apostas com uma relação de 6/1 – publicou ”Sputnik, Meu Amor” em 2002.
”Sputnik, Meu Amor” tem três personagens principais – quase únicas neste romance:
1 - Sumi
Ahmed
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
هى ابهرتنى فعلا وتكاد تفوق كافكا على الشاطئ(تكاد) يمكن تقليديتها مقارنة بكافكا هى اللى اعجبتنى كثير) البطله مبهره بالنسبه لى (مبهره فعلا) وفى مقاطع حسيت ان الكاتب بيتكلم عنى انا .
عامة رواية رائعه . اللغه (رغم الترجمه ) ظاهرة القوة والخفة والتمكن .
الحميميه فى الكتاب تجذبك وتركيزة الضوء على العلاقات الانسانيه المختلفه شدنى جدا.
تحس ان الكاتب بيتكلم عن اشخاص تعرفهم وبتقابلهم فى حياتك.
روايه انصح بها بشده وخاصة لمن يريد القراءه فى الادب الآسيوى واليابانى بصفه خاصه
Chris_P
I know I may sound like a broken record but Murakami is the man! Don't let the 3 stars fool you. For a Murakami book, 3 stars means it's more than just good whereas for others it means mediocre to just good. I don't know why but he is the only writer that can be repetitive as hell and still create a riveting atmosphere in each of his stories not letting you care about the cliches.

Sputnik Sweetheart takes a glimpse into the deepest aspects of human psychology where the burdens of things such as
رغد قاسم
بعد الانتهاء من قراءة هذهِ الرواية
بودي لو أحذف كل الروايات من قائمة مفضلتي و الابقاء عليها ، و إلى جانبها كافكا على الشاطيء

يا الهي ! يا الهي! لم اتوقف عن ترديد هذهِ الكلمة بعد كل عدة مقاطع منها
عظيمة ، هذهِ رواية عظيمة و تحرك كل جزء فيك لم اتمنى الانتهاء منها الا لاعادتها مجدداً
موركامي يا لكمية الدهشة التي تحقنني بها كلما قرأت لك !

أود لو كتبت الكثير عنها ، عن سوماير و شخصيتها الرائعة
عن دروس الكتابة التي قدمها هاروكي
عن ميو ، يا الهي وحده مشهد الحادث الذي اصابها و كيف ابيض شعرها وحده هذا الحد
mai ahmd
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: روايات
الرواية الرابعة التي أقرؤها لموراكامي بعد الغابة النيرويجية والحدود وكافكا على الشاطىء
وعلى الرغم من الإنتقادات الكثيرة التي سمعتها عن هذا الكاتب لكني مازلت أحب القراءة له
ويخيل لي أن من هذه الرواية كان الإنطلاقة لكتابة رواية كافكا على الشاطىء حيث لا تخلو من غرائبية وخاصة في فصولها الأخيرة والتي استحوذت على اهتمامي بشكل خاص
من هنا فيما يبدو ظهرت القطط وخاصة القط الأسود لا شك أن من قرأ كافكا يتذكره جيدا !
موراكامي كاتب يستخدم الجنس والتفاصيل الفجة لم يختلف الأمر في سبوتنيك
مازال يطعم بها رواياته
Aya Hamza
That's my first reading for Haruki Murakami, and won't be the last :)
I wished I could read it in Japanese, but my Japanese is still not that good!

Haruki Murakami's book seems different from other books I've read! It's a mixture of magical realism, love, books and music!

photo sputnik-2-1_zpsfjte7vak.jpg

What a tragic love story! Could it be considered a "love triangle"? Maybe!

So in this book,
Caroline
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for an introduction to the wonderful world of Murakami
YET another Murakami book that is AMAAAZZIINGGG! I realised not long ago that I always refer to Haruki Murakami as my favourite author when I have actually only read a few of his books. I mean, they were great books but still. I decided to start reading more of his work to expand my love of him further and hopefully encounter something close to Norwegian Wood on the awesome-ness scale. This book did not disappoint.

I think the phenomenal thing about Murakami is how he manages to write about mund
Huda Yahya
Oct 24, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels_novellas, shit

ما هذا الهراء بحق زيوس !
...
jo
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Αυτό είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο του Μουρακάμι που διαβάζω στα Ελληνικά μιας και πάντοντε προτιμούσα τις αγγλικές μεταφράσεις, δεν με απογοήτευσε τόσο όσο περίμενα αλλά δεν ήταν και απο τις καλύτερες μεταφράσεις που έχουν πέσει στα χέρια μου, ήταν ικανοποιητική. Εκτός απο αυτό, η ιστορία κσθεαυτού ήταν κάτι διαφορετικό απο αυτό που με είχε συνήθισει ο συγγραφέας. Ο Μουρακάμι είναι ένας απο τους αγαπημένους μου συγγραφείς, έχω διαβάσει ένα μεγάλο κομμάτι απο την βιβλιογραφία του και σκοπευώ να την ολοκ ...more
Nicci
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-classics
Ok so this just brought up so many emotions that I didn't even know I had. This book is nothing short of a masterpiece and I am just blown away after finishing this book that took me on one deep journey.

The genre of this book is so hard to define and compare to anything else I have read as this is just superior to all that has come before it. The way it talks about loneliness and isolation towards the end is so poetic and was just amazing to read.

There are some comparisons I made to Love in the
  • Crossfire
  • Thirst for Love
  • The Waiting Years
  • Be With You
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am
More about Haruki Murakami...

“Why do people have to be this lonely? What's the point of it all? Millions of people in this world, all of them yearning, looking to others to satisfy them, yet isolating themselves. Why? Was the earth put here just to nourish human loneliness?” 4765 likes
“I dream. Sometimes I think that's the only right thing to do.” 3501 likes