2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - Mod Stuff > Yearly, Quarterly, Monthly Challenges - Start Here

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Jan 28, 2019 04:31PM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Our group has a lot of challenges for you to participate in. These challenges will help you to reach your reading goal for the year, expose you to new books, and get you to interact with other members of the group. We hope you enjoy!

- All of our challenges are date-based challenges. This means that they run for certain time periods.

- Once the time period is over, the challenge is done.

- You can join a challenge after its start date and retroactively add the books you read over that period before you started the challenge. For example, if a challenge runs from January through March and I join at the start of February, I can count any books read in January toward the challenge.

- For each challenge, it's one book per task. If you have a book that suits more than one task, you get to choose which task to apply it to.

- If you participate in multiple challenges over the same time period, you CAN count the same books toward multiple challenges. For example, if I participate in the Listopia Challenge and Member's Tasks Challenge and a book I read works for both challenges, I can use it for both challenges.

- In all of our challenges, YOU set the goal for how many tasks you intend to complete. We all read at different paces, and this way, everyone can participate.

The first post of each challenge thread contains the instructions for how the challenge works. Each challenge also has a leader who helps keep the challenge running smoothly. If you would like to join a challenge and have a question on how to participate, you can post your question in the challenge's thread and the leader or one of the mods will be happy to answer it.

Click the links below to check them out:
2019 Monthly Challenges
2019 Quarterly Challenges
2019 Yearly Challenges

message 2: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I started Color challenge and I'm not listed in the participants. Help me out?

message 3: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments Aqsa wrote: "I started Color challenge and I'm not listed in the participants. Help me out?"

The list of participants was last updated at March 11, and you joined the challenge two days later. I am sure Kristin will include you in her next update! Good luck with the challenge :)

message 4: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments Thanks :)

message 5: by Wyatt (new)

Wyatt Trunk (wbtrunk) | 8 comments Challenge idea, read as many books in a year as you are years old. You only need to read as many as you are years old when you start the challenge, so if you are 20 when you start, but turn 21 in the year, you need not read an extra book.

message 6: by Rachael (last edited Oct 03, 2018 09:51AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2973 comments Wyatt wrote: "Challenge idea, read as many books in a year as you are years old. You only need to read as many as you are years old when you start the challenge, so if you are 20 when you start, but turn 21 in t..."
Thank you for your idea.

message 7: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Is there a particular time when a challenge comes to close?
For example, would a monthly challenge end at around 11:59 pm of the last day of its month?
Pacific Standard Time (since it's later)?

message 8: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments oshizu wrote: "Is there a particular time when a challenge comes to close?
For example, would a monthly challenge end at around 11:59 pm of the last day of its month?
Pacific Standard Time (since it's later)?"

Not really, we are not that strict. Goodreads is on PST, but you can just use your own time zone if you want.

message 9: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Ilona wrote: "Not really, we are not that strict. Goodreads is on PST, but you can just use your own time zone if you want. ."

Thank you, Ilona. Now I can put that question to rest. :D

message 10: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Nerd that I am, I have yet another question.
The current 2018 PopSugar Reading Challenge was announced on Nov 2, 2017, which means the 2019 version might be announced within the next week or so, emphasis on "might."

In this connection, I have two questions:
(1) My 2018 Member's Corner space
When it comes out, may I just add all the prompts to my Member's Corner, regardless of whether or not it's ultimately chosen as one of next year's yearly challenges?

(2) My 2019 Member's Corner space
When the 2019 MC spaces are created, will I be able to simply copy whatever I typed up for my 2018 space?

Sorry for planning ahead. I can't help it.

message 11: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Nov 02, 2018 01:12AM) (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments oshizu wrote: "Nerd that I am, I have yet another question.
The current 2018 PopSugar Reading Challenge was announced on Nov 2, 2017, which means the 2019 version might be announced within the next week or so, em..."

No worries, lots of us plan ahead :)

The answer to your first question is yes, even if we do not do the popsugar challenge next year, you can add it to your member corner to keep track. You may also do this with challenges from other groups here on Goodreads,

Regarding your second question, when the 2019 folders are created (late November/early December), you can copy and paste comments from you 2018 to 2019 corner. But it easier to ask one of the Mods to move your 2018 thread to the new folder. We are happy to do that :)

message 12: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments @Ilona

Thank you so much for your quick response!

Do you mean that group members keep an ongoing Member's Corner space of all their challenges over the years?
I'll have to think about that. As long as the 2018 member corners are archived rather than deleted, I think I'd rather start fresh every year.

message 13: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments oshizu wrote: "Do you mean that group members keep an ongoing Member's Corner space of all their challenges over the years?"

Not necessarily, in my corner I delete past years' challenges, but I keep the layout. I also have lists of series I am reading and books I bought but haven't read yet, etc., so I like to keep those :)

message 14: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments oh, those are great ideas!
I've "researched" your spaces before but hadn't thought about what happens between years. Thank you for sharing. :D

message 15: by April (new)

April | 224 comments What is Member's Corner?

message 16: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Hello April.
Below is a link to the "New Members Start Here" link:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Point #4 talks about Member's Corners and how you can create one.
:D

message 17: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments April wrote: "What is Member's Corner?"

A member corner is your place in this group, You can use it to track the books you read, challenges, buddy reads, etc. , whatever works for you :)
Please have a look at this topic: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... to find out more about Member corners.

message 18: by Pixie (new)

Pixie  | 549 comments May I just ask...the widgety thing (technical term!) you get on your profile to track your reading challenge progress of, say, 50 books etc...will this only be available for the goal you set for 2019 after the 2018 one is complete (i.e. Dec 31st)?

Thanks in advance!

message 19: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments ॐ Pixie wrote: "May I just ask...the widgety thing (technical term!) you get on your profile to track your reading challenge progress of, say, 50 books etc...will this only be available for the goal you set for 20..."

Yes, if I remember correctly from previous years, it will be online January 1st

message 20: by Pixie (new)

Pixie  | 549 comments Thank you!

message 21: by Gwen S. (new)

Gwen S. (gwen1629) | 398 comments Hi Kadijah,

I requested to join the group late, as in last week, but have submitted my completed list. Would it be accepted? Am I allowed in for the 2018 Color Challenge??
Gwen...

message 22: by Tobias (last edited Jan 01, 2019 08:48PM) (new)

Tobias Archer | 3 comments I would like to join the genre bingo 2019 but I'm confused on what to do.

message 23: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11903 comments Hi Tobias just go to the challenge page and let the challenge leader know how many books/Bingos you wish to do. Once you finish a book go back and post what you completed.

message 24: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Gwen S. wrote: "Hi Kadijah,

I requested to join the group late, as in last week, but have submitted my completed list. Would it be accepted? Am I allowed in for the 2018 Color Challenge??
Gwen..."

Gwen, you should be more than fine.

message 25: by Shadey (new)

Shadey (skmackay) | 3 comments I'd like to join the Bingo challenge. I'm not entirely sure what I need to do to join, though. Advise?

message 26: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments Shadey wrote: "I'd like to join the Bingo challenge. I'm not entirely sure what I need to do to join, though. Advise?"

To join any challenge, you just have to tell the challenge leader that you'd like to join, as you have already done :) I'll add you to the list of participants next time I update the challenge.

For the Genre Bingo challenge you can make you own bingo card as explained in the first post, but you don't have to. Many members use the default card.

I hope that this answers your question, enjoy the challenge :)

message 27: by Shadey (new)

Shadey (skmackay) | 3 comments Thanks so much. I'll just use the default card. :)

message 28: by Luci (new)

Luci Limón (lucilimon) | 181 comments Hi! I'm setting my personal page for the next year and haven't seen the Kind of a big deal challenge for 2020, is it going to be set up eventually or is it not going to be a part of the yearly challenges? (I'm relatively new and don't really know how it works)

message 29: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments Hi Luci, it is going to be part of the challenges for 2020! It will be posted this week, so stay stuned.. :)

message 30: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Luci wrote: "Hi! I'm setting my personal page for the next year and haven't seen the Kind of a big deal challenge for 2020, is it going to be set up eventually or is it not going to be a part of the yearly chal..."

Hi Luci!
If you're wondering what the remaining 2020 yearly challenges will be, you can read about them here.

message 31: by Luci (new)

Luci Limón (lucilimon) | 181 comments Thank you guys!!

I can't wait to start the challenges! :)

message 32: by Lisa (last edited Dec 20, 2019 02:52AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3262 comments Okay so funny story.
I'm currently in the progress of signing up for everything challenge related (ain't we all?) and I get to the "Myths from Around the World" quarterly one. While I'm going over the prompts, I'm having serious deja-vu, like "haven't we done this before?". I just couldn't put my finger on what it was, until I checked my challenge list from 2017! lol

I loved that challenge back then, and still think it's a great challenge :) and now with added prompts and more time, so yay! Definitely signing up.

message 33: by Meenal (new)

Meenal Mittal (meenalm) | 3 comments hi i am Meenal, i want to join 2020 yearly challenge. 20 books

message 34: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3739 comments Meenal wrote: "hi i am Meenal, i want to join 2020 yearly challenge. 20 books"

Hi Meenal, you can find an overview of the new yearly challenges in our guide to the 2020 yearly challenges. Just follow one of those links and let the challenge leader know that you would like to join :)

message 35: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Dec 26, 2019 02:24PM) (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Meenal wrote: "hi i am Meenal, i want to join 2020 yearly challenge. 20 books"

Hello Meenal and welcome to the group.
If you refer to one of this group's 2020 yearly challenges, then Ilona's instructions are perfect.

If you mean the Goodreads 2020 Reading Challenge which appears on both your profile and home pages, we all need to wait until January 1st to set our new reading goals for that.
However, you can plan ahead by creating your own 2020 personal challenge thread in the 1-25 books folders.
You can find detailed instructions on how to do that in this thread.

message 36: by Sue (new)

Sue | 87 comments The January monthly challenge (Sight Reading) says it will unlock on December 25, but it seems to still be locked. Will it open soon?

message 37: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Sue wrote: "The January monthly challenge (Sight Reading) says it will unlock on December 25, but it seems to still be locked. Will it open soon?"
@Sue
It should be unlocked by January 1st.

In the meantime, have you created your 2020 Member's Corner thread?
As you no doubt already know, you can copy the Sight Reading challenge's prompts to a post in your Member's Corner and decide on what books you'll be reading, check on their page counts, and so forth.
Happy holidays!

message 38: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4867 comments Hello there!
We imagine you reached this thread by having followed a link from your Welcome Message.
Please note that this thread has been updated for 2020. You will find the new thread here