The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6686 comments Mod
What are you reading this month?

message 2: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 467 comments In the last couple of days, I've started Empire Games, Charles Stross's return to the universe(s) of his Merchant Princes books.

Very readable so far, although I wonder how easily it would sit with first-timers who didn't read the original series. I suspect that the "here's four time lines and some major characters that you need to know about" introduction might be a bit of a barrier to some. You can only do so much catching up in a handful of pages.

message 3: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Battle Hill Bolero, Daniel José Older: The third and apparently final book in the Bone Street Rumba stories. I enjoyed the first two a lot, but I surprisingly felt bored during parts of this one. I will read more of Older's stuff; maybe I just wasn't in the mood for that particular novel.

Six-Gun Snow White, Catherynne M. Valente: Novella. This I read for my IRL book club meeting for next week. A fairy tale retelling of Snow White, but set in the West with a half-Indian girl. Very enjoyable, though the ending was almost what-the-heck-well-okay to me.

The Burning Light, Bradley P. Beaulieu & Rob Ziegler: Novella. This was an unsatisfying story for me... I think I kept waiting for more of an explanation of the Light that I never got, and it just ended unsatisfyingly.

The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, Kai Ashante Wilson: Fake-novella (it's actually just over 40,000 words, so it's really just a short novel). I'd abandoned this book when it first came out and I couldn't get very far, but I thought I'd try again. I liked it okay, but some of the scene transitions could've been easier--I had to reread some parts because I didn't get where we were. Oh well.

Persona, Genevieve Valentine: The first in the Persona series. The other book for my IRL book club. I both liked this and didn't like this. I enjoyed the actual story; but the whole premise of the International Assembly just got so ridiculous to me.

Legend, David Gemmell: The first (by publication) Drenai Saga book: Another bingo book (Military Fantasy). Gemmell did a real good job telling the story of a hopeless stand against the barbarians in a way that didn't drag (my biggest fear of such a book). Plus, I always love "training" scenes (once Druss arrives). I happen to have a lot of the rest of the series, so something to continue when I get a chance.

message 4: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I finished A Darker Shade of Magic last night. I was underwhelmed. My review. Next I'm reading Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments I am reading The Family Plot and Dracula vs. Hitler.

the Family Plot is SO good, a great ghost story. Dracula Vs. Hitler is really a fantastic war story. I did not have high expectations but I am really enjoying it. The author gave Dracula a lot of layers.

message 6: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Read Ninefox Gambit. Thought it was great except I didn't like the ending, it sacrificed a lot of drama to set up a sequel I may or may not read. Still, probably one of the better books from 2016.

Also read The Killing Moon. Nice to read a fantasy set in an Egypt-like world rather than the constant Medieval RPG-Land.

Currently reading Central Station by Lavie Tidhar, which I think finally finishes off the 2016 reads I had intended to do, although awards season always adds a few to the pile that I had missed.

message 7: by Maclurker (new)

Maclurker | 114 comments Just starting Eyes Like Leaves by Charles de Lint. He writes such beautiful lyrical prose and I love the first line here:

Tarn knew him for a wizard, the tall greybeard, calm as a tree, with the wisdom of longyears patterning his sky-blue eyes.

message 8: by Geoff (last edited Feb 01, 2017 08:59AM) (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) I'm 4 stories into Invisible Planets: Collected Fiction by Hannu Rajaniemi. Its a collection I've been interested in since I listened to an interview he did.

And I've started book 4 of the Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler, The Guns of Empire.

Been looking for some more fantasy to read lately. Pretty much everything on my shelf that I haven't read is sci-fi. And most of the books on my to-read-fantasy shelf here is all without release date (Martin, Rothfuss, Lynch, etc).

message 9: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2440 comments I have 4 books on the go at the moment but the only S&L genre is Remanence by Jennifer Foehner Wells.

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Back into the McDevittverse with Echo

Echo (Alex Benedict, #5) by Jack McDevitt

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon | 13 comments Just started Dead to Rites, the third book in an urban fantasy series that I like. About a third of the way through AfroSF: Science Fiction by African Writers. As is typical of a short story collection the stories can be hit or miss, but overall I'm really enjoying it.

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 272 comments Woah it's February now?

I'm reading Jo Walton's Necessity, the last of her Thessaly trilogy and, so far, my favourite of the series.

I'm still listening to Brandon Sanderson's Elantris and still very much not enjoying the narration. The story is clearly his first and has some stand-out flaws, but as the action picks up (I'm nearly half-way through) the flaws aren't bugging me so much.

I'm learning from Richard Kieckhefer's Magic in the Middle Ages, which is doing what it says on the tin.

message 13: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 588 comments Working on Captain's Fury.. with Red Country, Prudence, and Warbreaker waiting in the wings... none of my libraries seem to have the pick for this month :(

message 14: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Feb 03, 2017 02:34PM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2827 comments Taking a break from some heavy reads to read Home by Nnedi Okorafor, the second book after Binti.

Binti (Binti, #1) by Nnedi Okorafor Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor

message 15: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3827 comments Finished the Three Body Problem. The sequel isn't available for me yet, so I went on to some Stephen Baxter Manifold: Origin. That's the third Malenfant book, after Time and Space. So far, decent. I don't love Baxter but he makes decent enough fill in reading.

message 16: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments I have a complicated opinion of Stephen Baxter. There is only one of his solo novels I enjoyed to any degree, Raft. (And it also introduced me to the idea of the heat death of the universe, thus depressing me to no end.) But his collaboration with Arthur C. Clarke, The Light of Other Days, is one of my favorite SF novels ever. And the Long Earth series with Pratchett has kept my interest, somewhat. Still haven't read the last one, though. I should just stick to his collaborations, I guess.

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8047 comments Started the short story collection Word Puppets by Mary Robinette Kowal. 1/3 done, so far, so good.

message 18: by Darren (new)

Darren Ready Player One I was expecting something a lot different, which is probably why it took me so long to get around to it. I wish I could take Daito and Shoto out of it, and so enjoy it completely. Every time they appear though, I cringe at how they're written.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1132 comments Just finished Bite Me by Christopher Moore. This was the third in his vampire trilogy and it tied up nicely. I did find one of the POV characters a little annoying but still loved the book.
Starting The Salt Roads.

message 20: by Ivy (new)

Ivy | 44 comments Have a few good books lined up for February. Halfway through the The Dark Forest, and have Death's End queued up on the iPad. I've heard lots of good reviews on Crosstalk by Connie Willis. Trying to get some non-fiction read this year as well, so I'm listening to the audio of White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America. And of course there's The Salt Roads If there's time I'm hoping to start Book 5 of the Dark Tower series Wolves of the Calla. I'm still reeling from book 4, and have already been warned book 6 will drive me to drinking, so I'm not sure if I'm excited about this last pick or not.

message 21: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) Ivy wrote: "Have a few good books lined up for February. Halfway through the The Dark Forest, and have Death's End queued up on the iPad. I've heard lots of good reviews on [boo..."

Yeah, but Dark Tower 6 is short (comparitively) and Dark Tower 7 is totally worth it.

message 22: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3827 comments Welp, Manifold: Origin is turning out to be fairly hideous. So far we've had various hominids killing and eating each other, regular rape and coerced sex, a torture / murder of a child, and that's just the first third! I get the hint that early humans lived brutish lives, but I don't need it in my face the whole time. May lem this one.

message 23: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1315 comments I got City of Blades and The Hanging Tree on my MP3 player for this month.

message 24: by William (new)

William | 397 comments Louie wrote: "I have a complicated opinion of Stephen Baxter. There is only one of his solo novels I enjoyed to any degree, Raft. (And it also introduced me to the idea of the heat death of the uni..."

Baxter seems best when working with someone else, perhaps they balance his tendency to be depressing. The Medusa Chronicles with Alastair Reynolds is pretty awesome but The Time Ships his sequel to HG Wells' Time Machine is probably his best work imho.

message 25: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley: First in her Worldbreaker Saga. It took me awhile to read, but I had stuff going on. Really interesting concepts with gender and the like. I'm going to hold off on reading the 2nd book until June, though, so I don't have too long a gap before the 3rd & final book in October.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 272 comments Finished Necessity, and enjoyed it the most of the whole trilogy. Skipping this month's book pick, between the blurb and the comments of GR friends currently reading it, it is not the book for me or my mental health.

So, moving on to books triggering in a different way, I'm finishing off Jo Walton's Ha'penny and Half a Crown before they're due back at the library this week and before work starts again in earnest.

message 28: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1611 comments Finished with Dying Earth. Glad it was short.

Still finishing Seveneves and The Tyrant's Law (The Dagger and the coin series) which I think all Expanse fans should read. Abraham is a master storyteller and character builder.

Starting Hamilton: The Revolution for a non fiction book club here in GR. Yes, that book that won the GR award last year.

message 29: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 137 comments Silvana wrote: "Finished with Dying Earth. Glad it was short. "
The Dying Earth by Jack Vance ? Thank you! This work has been praised so much on Goodreads that I was beginning to question my own judgement. I am delighted to find that I am not alone in my opinion.
How many other books in the same category, I wonder?

message 30: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1611 comments Yes, by Vance. It was published in 1950 so maybe it was too misogynistic for my taste.

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new)

The Amber Spyglass - ★★★☆☆ - (My Review)

The Pagan Lord - ★★★★☆ - (My Review)

message 32: by Shad (new)

Shad (splante) | 345 comments Just started Cibola Burn. Saw my library added it to the ereads site and put a hold on it. Was pleasantly surprised a couple of days later when it was available.

message 33: by Sky (new)

Sky | 665 comments I finished Babylon's Ashes]. Another great entry in the series. Probably I should go back and start watching The Expanse now.

I am listening to The Rook in audio since I was driving and it was already queued.

I am reading The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox that was chosen for me as a secret santa book in another group that will not be mentioned :)

message 34: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 148 comments Sky wrote: "I finished Babylon's Ashes]. Another great entry in the series. Probably I should go back and start watching The Expanse now.

I am listening to The Rook in audio si..."

Oh, Sky - I hope you enjoy The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox! Those books were such delights for me to discover. Probably due for a re-read...hmmmm... :-)

message 35: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1519 comments I just finished listening to The Aeronaut's Windlass and very much enjoyed it. It looks like it will be a few years before it is continued, since Jim Butcher has said he will start work on that after he finishes the next Dresden novel.

While really well written, it very much felt like a Brandon Sanderson novel. Especially in the world building and magic system, but also in the general tone of the writing. Since I like that style, I didn't mind it, but I did find it interesting.

message 36: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 828 comments I had to keep reminding myself that it wasn't Sanderson.

message 37: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2238 comments About to finish my first trilogy of 2017 -- I wrapped up The Magician King and started The Magician's Land.

message 38: by William (last edited Feb 08, 2017 02:34AM) (new)

William | 397 comments I'm currently *rereading* (thanks Goodreads) The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. It is an interesting coincidence that this is my reading for the Goodreads Romance Week. Imho this is an utter classic.

I am also working my way through some excellent Edgar Allan Poe short stories - that guy wrote some SF that's still awesome today.

message 39: by Virginia (new)

Virginia (vlhildreth) Joseph wrote: "About to finish my first trilogy of 2017 -- I wrapped up The Magician King and started The Magician's Land."

Always looking for more Magicians fans. I adore the entire series, flaws and all.

message 40: by Shad (new)

Shad (splante) | 345 comments Finished Cibola Burn. Definitely the weakest Expanse novel so far, but I still really enjoyed it. Murtry was such a cartoon bad guy.

message 41: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Shad wrote: "Finished Cibola Burn. Definitely the weakest Expanse novel so far, but I still really enjoyed it. Murtry was such a cartoon bad guy."

Don't worry Nemesis Games more than makes up for it.

message 42: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Rob wrote: "Shad wrote: "Finished Cibola Burn. Definitely the weakest Expanse novel so far, but I still really enjoyed it. Murtry was such a cartoon bad guy."

Don't worry [book:Nemesis Games|2..."

This is true. So true.

message 43: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3827 comments Maggie for Hire series numbers 5-8, author Kate Danley. They're each about 200 pages so I read 'em fast. Maggie is a "magical tracker" who can sense magical objects. She'll get your item or on-the-lam entity for you, regularly saving the world on the way. It's a little like Dresden Files but a lot more humorous. Her partners is a lecherous (if also gallant) elf and she has regular family dustups with her mother, a fortune teller.

First one in the series is free as I mentioned in the March Madness thread.

message 44: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Split Heirs by Lawrence Watt-Evans & Esther Friesner. What a remarkably silly novel. Comic fantasy, though not quite at the level of Pratchett (of course). I was impressed by all the moving pieces that Watt-Evans & Friesner juggled to pull off the climax. Basic premise: Triplets are born to the queen, 2 of the 3 babies are hidden and raised, amusing identity hijinks ensue.

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 272 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "I just finished listening to The Aeronaut's Windlass and very much enjoyed it. It looks like it will be a few years before it is continued, since Jim Butcher has said..."

Ooh, adding this one to the list, thank you. We're Sanderson fans in this house.

Well I finished off Ha'penny and Half a Crown and was not at all surprised to read in the last one that Jo Walton considers this trilogy her 'Still Life with Fascists'. Basically, the UK negotiates peace with Hitler in 1940 and fascism comes to power. A story to read if someone has already beat you to the library copies of Nineteen Eighty-Four or The Handmaid's Tale or whatever is your fascist dystopia of choice.

I grabbed The Alchemist while I was at the library, but I can't decide if I want to read another shorter-length book, or get stuck into some of the Guy Gavriel Kay waiting patiently on my Kindle. Still plodding on with Elantris on audio (Now I'm over half-way the pace is picking up dramatically in typical Sanderson-style, and I can forgive the uneven narration). And, still learning about Magic in the Middle Ages.

message 46: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8047 comments The Curse of Chalion came into the library, so I just started it while we're having a nor'easter.

message 47: by Nimrod (last edited Feb 10, 2017 02:51AM) (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 26 comments I finished Theft of Swords which was great and very enjoyable. I'm currently reading The Blood-Tainted Winter, it's a viking-style fantasy. It has a nice start, but from the ~30% mark it becomes more interesting.

message 48: by Darren (new)

Darren War Dogs, but honestly it's not doing much for me.

message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 272 comments Trike wrote: "The Curse of Chalion came into the library, so I just started it while we're having a nor'easter."

One of my faves :D I'm thinking of writing a research paper on religion in the World of the Five Gods.

message 50: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8047 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Trike wrote: "The Curse of Chalion came into the library, so I just started it while we're having a nor'easter."

One of my faves :D I'm thinking of writing a research paper on religio..."

I'm only a short way into it and I'm already seeing a huge influence it's had on more recent books. It's definitely a fertile topic.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.