Start by marking “Nineteen Eighty-Four” as Want to Read:
Nineteen Eighty-Four

Nineteen Eighty-Four

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  3,960,897 ratings  ·  93,397 reviews
The new novel by George Orwell is the major work towards which all his previous writing has pointed. Critics have hailed it as his "most solid, most brilliant" work. Though the story of Nineteen Eighty-Four takes place thirty-five years hence, it is in every sense timely. The scene is London, where there has been no new housing since 1950 and where the city-wide slums are ...more
Paperback, Centennial Edition, 339 pages
Published May 6th 2003 by Plume (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Nineteen Eighty-Four, please sign up.
Rogerio The book was written in 1949, way before the events described became reality. If you are reading it with hindsight alone, yeah, than you missing the p…moreThe book was written in 1949, way before the events described became reality. If you are reading it with hindsight alone, yeah, than you missing the point big time. The author was brilliant and the clarity and capacity of projecting himself to the future of comunism is just amazing.(less)
Niklas Big Brother is the personification of the state of Oceania. The book explains that the existence of Big Brother is necessary because it is easier to l…moreBig Brother is the personification of the state of Oceania. The book explains that the existence of Big Brother is necessary because it is easier to love a person than an organisation, and that the name "Big Brother" was selected because it plays on family loyalty. (less)

·  3,960,897 ratings  ·  93,397 reviews

Start your review of Nineteen Eighty-Four
Bill Kerwin
May 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is far from perfect. Its characters lack depth, its rhetoric is sometimes didactic, its plot (well, half of it anyway) was lifted from Zumyatin’s We, and the lengthy Goldstein treatise shoved into the middle is a flaw which alters the structure of the novel like a scar disfigures a face.

But in the long run, all that does not matter, because George Orwell got it right.

Orwell, a socialist who fought against Franco, watched appalled as the great Soviet experiment was reduced to a totalita
Silvana
WAR IS PEACE.

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY.

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

Those words keep sounding in my head since I read this book. Gosh, probably the most haunting not to mention frightening book I've ever read. 1984 should also be included in the horror genre.

1984 describes a Utopia. Not Thomas More's version of Utopia, but this is one is the antithesis, i.e. Dystopia. Imagine living in a country, whose leaders apply a totalitarian system in regulating their citizen, in the most extreme ways, which make Hitler
Dave
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In George Orwell's 1984, Winston Smith is an open source developer who writes his code offline because his ISP has installed packet sniffers that are regulated by the government under the Patriot Act. It's really for his own protection, though. From, like, terrorists and DVD pirates and stuff. Like every good American, he drinks Coca-Cola and his processed food has desensitized his palate to all but four flavors: sweet, salty-so-that-you-will-drink-more-coca-cola, sweet, and Cooler Ranch!(tm). H ...more
John Wiswell
1984 is not a particularly good novel, but it is a very good essay. On the novel front, the characters are bland and you only care about them because of the awful things they live through. As a novel all the political exposition is heavyhanded, and the message completely overrides any sense of storytelling. As an essay, the points it makes can be earthshaking. It seems everyone who has so much as gotten a parking ticket thinks he lives in a 1984-dystopia. Every administration that reaches for po ...more
Emily May
This was the book that started my love affair with the dystopian genre. And maybe indirectly influenced my decision to do a politics degree. I was only 12 years old when I first read it but I suddenly saw how politics could be taken and manipulated to tell one hell of a scary and convincing story. I'm a lot more well-read now but, back then, this was a game-changer. I started to think about things differently. I started to think about 2 + 2 = 5 and I wanted to read more books that explored the i ...more
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was an up and down kind of read for me. There were parts that I really enjoyed and parts that I found extremely difficult to maneuver through. I'm glad that I decided to pick it up and give it a go, because it's one that I've been curious about for a long time. I can definitely see why so many people love this book. It explores a lot of things that we see happening in the world today. I can't say I'm leaving it as a massive fan, but I'm sure it's one that I'll continue to think about. ...more
Maria
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna ask myself a mandatory question and say nothing more.

Why the fuck had I not read this book before?
Lyndsey
YOU. ARE. THE. DEAD. Oh my God. I got the chills so many times toward the end of this book. It completely blew my mind. It managed to surpass my high expectations AND be nothing at all like I expected. Or in Newspeak "Double Plus Good."

Let me preface this with an apology. If I sound stunningly inarticulate at times in this review, I can't help it. My mind is completely fried.

This book is like the dystopian Lord of the Rings, with its richly developed culture and economics, not to mention a fully
Stephen
Photobucket
I am a big fan of speculative fiction and in my literary travels I have encountered a myriad of dystopias, anti-utopias and places and societies that make one want to scream and..... Photobucket
...(with or without contemporaneous loss of bladder and other bodily functions)....

Simply put, George Orwell's 1984 is unquestionably the most memorable and MOST DISTURBING vision of a world gone mad utterly bat-shit psycho that I have ever experienced. Ever!!! Despite being published back in 1948, I have ye
Ahmad Sharabiani
(Book 547 From 1001 Books) - Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell

Nineteen Eighty-Four, often published as 1984, is a dystopian novel published in 1949 by English author George Orwell.

The novel is set in Airstrip One, formerly Great Britain, a province of the superstate Oceania, whose residents are victims of perpetual war, omnipresent government surveillance and public manipulation.

Oceania's political ideology, euphemistically named English Socialism is enforced by the privileged, elite Inner P
Lyn
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”

This changed the way that I looked at ideologies and changed the way I looked at leadership. Cynical, scathing, and not without its flaws, this is still a stark, haunting glimpse at what could be.

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

Chilling.

The closing lines still come to me sometimes and remind me of depths that I can only imagine.

“He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to
Sean Barrs
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-reads, sci-fi
“The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.”

Just about everything Orwell says in 1984 is a maniacal truism. In some twisted form, everything reflects the truth of reality.

Of course there are exaggerations, though nothing is far from plausibility. We are controlled by our governments, and often in ways we are not consciously aware of. Advertisements, marketing campaigns and political events are all designed for us to elicit a certain response and think in a desired way
Joe
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Social media is a cage full of starved rats and all of us have our heads stuck in there now, like it or not.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
I know this is a well loved classic and I definitely enjoyed some parts... but some times I found myself a bit bored :S
Mario the lone bookwolf
Newspeaking ones way towards manufacturing consent with optional mutilating death by torture after brainwashing, because these pesky citizens just don´t get to the core of the fact that Ingsocs War is peace Freedom is Slavery Ignorance is strength police is based on hard, serious humanities such as politics, economics, and sociology.

It´s just reality
The irony lies in the fact that it just seems like the nightmarish tale of a forever dictatorship for the privileged people living in Western, brav
Leo .
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: 1984=2024. FULL DYSTOPIAN PARADIGM FULL STEAM AHEAD

Is Orwell turning in his grave? Does his epitaph read. "I fucking warned you! Don't say I never told you so! "

Did he have a crystal fucking ball?

***
If you want truth, go out and see

Not like in 1984, Richard Burton on TV

Orwell must have been psychic, or was he in the know

Cos' what's going on in the world clearly shows

That humanity is programmed through a TV screen

Since its conception, its all its ever been

News, films, dramas, sports, soap
Amanda
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've put off writing a review for 1984 because it's simply too daunting to do so. I liked 1984 even better after a second reading (bumping it up from a 4 star to a 5 star) because I think that, given the complexity of the future created by Orwell, multiple readings may be needed to take it all in. I thought it was genius the first time and appreciated that genius even more the second time.

Orwell had a daunting task: creating a future nearly half a century away from the time period in which he w
Leonard Gaya
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
1948: Europe was only starting to recover from the slaughter of World War II. Nazi Germany had been crushed by the Russian army in the East and by the Anglo-American forces in the West. The totalitarian regimes of Hitler, Mussolini and Imperial Japan were defeated. Stalin was going strong. Franco was undisturbed. However, the war was not quite over: the victors, Russia on one side, the USA on the other, were now superpowers staring stonily at each other, their hands loaded with a new and deadly ...more
Luís
I wanted to understand the origin of the expression "Big Brother" associated with our modern world, and I immersed myself in 1984 by George Orwell. This novel of anticipation, published in 1949, is striking! We follow with interest the destinies of Winston and Julia in this universe which is reminiscent of ours or what it could become. Of course, it is a fable, but the images strike and remain used for a long time. After reading this cult novel, we look at certain realities differently. It is a ...more
Matthew
Yes! This book! Amazing! Terrifying, brutal, intricate, prophetic - and, in one big word, GENIUS!

This was a reread - the last time I read this was over 20 years ago and I wanted to see if the 5 star rating and its standing in one of my top 3 favorite books held up - and it most certainly does.

If this book was written today in the midst of the slew of dystopian novels that come out, it may not have stood out. But, this book was way ahead of its time. Written in a post WWII era where the fears of
Kristy
Sep 04, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Praise the lord and pass the amunition, I am finished with this beast of a book. My brain feels like sludge, I just want to crawl into a hole and forget all that was engrained into my poor head. Why, oh why did I have the noble idea to read such a monster? How am I supposed to rate such s#@$?????
I believe, like some of you that this might have been better had I read it in a class or with a group. Alone it was fingernails to chalkboard miserable.

After reading this, it just makes you feel hopeles
Zoë
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goodness gracious this was very unsettling. I'm already a pretty paranoid person, so the idea of Big Brother was both very intriguing but also extremely frightening.
I really enjoyed reading this, but there were moments when I wasn't invested in the story and wanted to take a break from it, mostly in the last half of the book. Still DEFINITELY worth the read, though!
emma
i'm not making any point in particular...just that if you have any intention of reading a book about totalitarianism and apocalyptic government, written by a man who believed in democratic socialism as the solution...well, now might be a good time.

----
full review

I had been meaning to read this book for a long time, but I finally did it based on a friend’s (hi Dario) insistence. It took me way longer than expected to finish it, and once I managed, said friend requested (in all caps) a text-messag
Starjustin
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I possibly say about this amazing novel, 1984 by George Orwell, that hasn't been already said by many who have read the book for over half a century. When it is said that the book is 'haunting', 'nightmarish', and 'startling' any reader would have to agree! This well known novel grips the reader from the beginning and does not even let go of the grip at the finished reading. A classic you won't want to miss if you haven't taken the time to read it yet.
I actually listened to this novel
Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

"For, if leisure and security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function, and they would sweep it away."

Nineteen Eighty-Four is an insanely relevant novel in this day an
Dr. Appu Sasidharan

(Throwback Review) This novel falls under the category of dystopian science fiction. This story takes place in the future, 1984 (this book was released in 1949), where the world is facing a war.

The prose in this book is simply spectacular that this would have been a best-seller even if Orwell would have released it as a non-fictional book by removing all the fictional elements from it.

This novel has so many embedded themes in it. The politics, nationalism, surveillance which Orwell is ment
James Trevino
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread this recently, knowing my mind from a few years ago is different from my mind now. But it was surprisingly just as scary! Maybe even more so, if that is possible!!

I wonder if there is someone who has read 1984 and has not felt angry and helpless. It is a good book. It is so good that it made my want to throw away my Kindle. And that is a lot, considering the last time that happened was when I read about The Red Wedding in George R.R. Martin's series.

I also wonder if this world Orwell d
Cecily
Revised for 2017, with added "Alternative Facts"

Ten Shades of Grey?

The colour of this book is grey, relentless grey: of skin, sky, food, floor, walls, mind, life itself. Added piquancy comes from general decay, drudgery, exploitation, chronic sickness, and malaise.

There is also sex and (non-sexual) bondage, domination, and torture.

I don’t expect a dystopian book to be happy reading, but this reread was far grimmer than I remembered it, partly because I read it immediately after the lyrical beaut
Anne
Well, shit. That was depressing.

description

On the upside, the government doesn't actually need Big Brother to keep an eye on us, as we freely head to the internet to type out every excruciating detail of our lives - all while taking pictures of ourselves and then tagging our location.
Bravo, humans!

Ok, but in all honesty, I wasn't all that crazy about this book. There were a lot of things I thought were just bananas. I mean, I get that it's a cautionary tale, but there was just nothing that represented an
Lisa
Doubleplusgood Maxitruth in Oldspeak on Doublethink and Crimestop!

(Translation from Newspeak: Excellent, accurate analysis of oppressive, selective society in well-written Standard English reflecting on the the capacity to hold two contradictory opinions for truth at the same time and on the effectiveness of protective stupidity as a means to keep a power structure stable.)

There is not much left to say about this prophetic novel by Orwell which has not been said over and over again since its pu
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover 2 9 Sep 23, 2022 11:42PM

• Fahrenheit 451
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Brave New World
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • The Hobbit
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Of Mice and Men
  • The Alchemist
  • Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
  • Romeo and Juliet
See top shelves…
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a police officer with the Indian Imperial

Articles featuring this book

Ellen Oh is an award-winning author of middle grade and young adult novels, including The Dragon Egg Princess, A Thousand Beginnings and...
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” 14903 likes
“Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” 9896 likes