Start by marking “Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology” as Want to Read:
Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology

Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology

Sisters of the Revolution gathers a highly curated selection of feminist speculative fiction (science fiction, fantasy, horror and more) chosen by one of the most respected editorial teams in speculative literature today, the award-winning Ann and Jeff VanderMeer. Including stories from the 1970s to the present day, the collection seeks to expand the conversation about fem ...more
Published June 1st 2015 by PM Press

To ask other readers questions about Sisters of the Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sisters of the Revolution

El

Catherynne M. Valente
Elisabeth Vonarburg

Clearly I need to
Lily
I love the idea behind this anthology: sci-fi/fantasy stories, written by women from many different places and times, coming together to form a multi-faceted view of feminism. It was an exciting combination of authors: old favorites, some I'd been meaning to check out, and several I'd never heard of before.

There were some compelling and thought-provoking stories in here, but overall... I found it a bit tedious. Part of the reason is that, despite the variety of settings and styles, there's a de
Dagio_maya
Splendida antologia di penne al femminile ma devo (devo!) fare subito un appunto che ritengo fondamentale: ancora una volta mi riferisco alla traduzione del titolo.
Il bellissimo – e azzeccatissimo!!!- titolo originale: ”Sisters of the Revolution sotto il quale i curatori Ann & Jeff VanderMeer hanno radunato questi racconti è tradotto con un aggettivo fumoso e fuorviante.
Se anche le traduttrici in postfazione riferiscano di scrittrici molto diverse tra loro ma accumunate dall’appartenere all’
Jenny (Reading Envy)
First of all, I would like to award myself a medal for FINALLY making it through one of the anthologies on my VanderMeer shelf. It is one of the slimmer collections but I have been saying I will do this for several years! It took one of my reading groups declaring February the month of revolution, and I decided this was as good of a time as any to work through these stories.

There is a wide range of stories here, wide in theme and in time period, some old enough to give tastes of "old school" spe
Hazal Çamur
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dünyanın farklı yerlerinde, farklı yıllarda, farklı kadınlarca kaleme alınmış tam 28 öykü. O yıllara, o topraklara ve bir de bugüne dönüp baktığımızda görüyoruz ki bir halt becerememişiz. Hala ayrımcıyız, hala kadın olmanın erkekten aşağı kalmak demek olmadığını anlatmak zorundayız.

Kitaptaki bazı öyküler kah distopik, kah güldürücü. Her türden hikaye mevcut bu antolojide. Ama dış bakış yaptığımızda, tüm o eğlenceli havasına rağmen, insanlar olarak hiçbir konuda gelişemediğimizi görüyoruz. İnsanl
Francesca Maccani
Un gioiello imperdibile che, a dispetto della mole, ho divorato in pochi giorni.
La veste grafica è già di per sé un piccolo capolavoro. La doppia copertina, la scelta dei colori e del font la dicono lunga sulla scelta di qualità di questa antologia tutta al femminile.
Non un scelta di genere ma soprattutto un contributo a una realtà letteraria in costante divenire. Le autrici che compaiono in questa antologia sono scrittrici che hanno contribuito a dare vita a uno spazio creativo che ha invogliat
Viv JM
This is a really excellent and diverse collection of sci-fi and fantasy stories with a feminist slant. A lot of the stories (as might be expected) are dystopian, but not all. There is a good mix of well known and lesser known authors, and there are many stories in translation too. As with any anthology, I enjoyed some stories a lot more than others, but the overall quality was very high and I would recommend this anthology to anyone who enjoys speculative fiction.
Catherine Siemann
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An exemplary collection of feminist speculative fiction, with a nice combination of contemporary and classic authors. Although, as with all anthologies, some stories appeal more than others, there wasn't a story here that I felt didn't belong. (Disclaimer: I was a Kickstarter backer for this project, which really just means I paid for my copy quite a bit in advance.)

Stories that especially stood out for me:
"The Forbidden Words of Margaret A." by L. Timmel Duchamp
Speculative *legal* fiction about
Ben Loory
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Favorites:

"My Flannel Knickers" by Leonora Carrington (which actually made me physically dizzy, which was a new one on me)
"The Grammarian's Five Daughters" by Eleanor Arnason (really loved this one! Will be reading more Arnason soon)
"The Forbidden Words of Margaret A" by L. Timmel Duchamp
"The Fall River Axe Murders" by Angela Carter (which prompted me to spend the next 5 hours researching Lizzie Borden)
and
"Boys" by Carol Emshwiller

Plus of course the James Tiptree Jr and Octavia Butler stories, b
Elsa Lacruz
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
¿No se pueden poner más de 5 estrellas?

No es que todos los relatos me hayan gustado igual, pero absolutamente todos merecen estar en la antología, se nota que están elegidos con mimo. Aunque predominan las norteamericanas, hay bastante variedad en cuanto al origen de las autoras, lo cual también es de agradecer, ya que se presentan puntos de vista más diversos.

Desde la maternidad o la lactancia hasta la vuelta al hogar o la guerra, los temas son muy diversos, pero todos se centran en contar his
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
Sadly overall, the impression I am left with is that I simply do not like anthologies all that much. Some standout stories. Some ok stories and some very weak ones. Still, I am more convinced than ever that I just have to get my behind in gear and finally read Octavia Butler.
Lata
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of science fiction and fantasy short stories from a wide range of authors. I enjoyed a number of the stories, all of which had a feminist slant. Some stories were scary commentaries on gender relations, while one in particular gave me a few chuckles (the one about the grammarian). I liked the editors' picks.
Emma
This book is something of a challenge for me. I picked it up because it has the word “feminist” on the cover, and is an anthology (something that I find significantly easier to read during the school year because I can review in parts.) I would like to make it clear that I will not understand some of the works included in this anthology, and I hope you will not judge me for this. I will rate each piece on my enjoyment of it, but in this book more than any other, my opinions might be very wrong. ...more
l.

- Vandava Singh, the Woman Who thought She Was a Planet
- Susan Palwick's werewolf story
Morgan Dhu
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Sisters of the Revolution, edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer, is a reprint anthology that brings together work from some of the most important feminist voices in science fiction. This is not hyperbole. Among the works collected in this PM Press publication are Joanna Russ’s When It Changed, James Tiptree Jr’s The Screwfly Solution, Octavia Butler’s The Evening and the Morning and the Night, and Ursula Le Guin’s Sur, as well as several other stories I’ve read and loved before from authors Eleanor
Jamie
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
The style of the first two stories really got in the way of the interesting premises, and I started the third one but have kind of lost interest. The writing just makes it too difficult to get carried away with the stories.
Bonnie McDaniel
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's a nice trend on Kickstarter and other crowdfunding sites, of crowdfunding anthologies based around specific themes that might not find a home in traditional publishing. This book is a good example. I participated in its Kickstarter, and I'm proud that my money helped this book find a home in the world.

It's a very professional effort, as would be expected from the editing team of Jeff and Ann VanderMeer. Unfortunately, all the stories are from years past and cannot be considered for this
Ginny
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
There's not a bad story in this collection (though there is one that I totally did not understand - the surrealist story My Flannel Knickers by Lenora Carrington). Here are a few of my favorites:

- The Forbidden Words of Margaret A. by L. Timmel Duchamp; 1980
A woman's ideas are so radical and powerful, the government makes it illegal for her to speak.

- The Glass Bottle Trick by Nalo Hopkinson; 2000
A woman learns to see her husband in a new light after she accidentally breaks the bottles he keeps
Felice Picano
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anne and Jeff Vandermeer are superb anthologists and Jeff's a pretty good writer too. This book isn't as "revolutionary" as the title implies and it's only sometimes "feminist." But it is the best collection of modern speculative fiction by women about women I know of, ranging all over the world in good translations and containing some true classics of this genre. Among the latter are James Tiptree, Jr.'s The Screwfly Solution, Olivia Butler's The Evening and the Morning and the Night, L. Timmel ...more
Matthew Hall
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, scifi
Really solid collection. My perennial favorite Le Guin is present in a story I hadn't read before, as well as James Tiptree/Alice Sheldon's The Screwfly Solution, one of her most feverish and finest stories, and Catherynne Valente who I have lately enjoyed. The others were all new to me, but of particular interest were Carol Emshwiller, Pamela Sargent, L. Timmel DuChamp, Leena Krohn, Pat Murphy, Eleanor Arnason and Octavia Butler.

Loved the stories of Arnason, Emshwiller and Octavia Butler's The
Christine Prevas
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were maybe 5 stories that made reading this worthwhile (Octavia Butler's "The Evening and the Morning and the Night," L Timmel Duchamp's "The Forbidden Words of Margaret A," Pat Murphy's Love and Sex Among the Invertebrates," Eileen Gunn's "Stable Strategies for Middle Management," and Catherynne M Valente's "Thirteen Ways of Looking at Space/Time") but for the most part I ended up infuriated and offended that an anthology published in 2015 could include stories that demean and fetishize t ...more
Johanna
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
uneven. opens with some pretty leaden, plodding parables, then moves onto some really interesting older stories i had missed (why haven't i read james tiptree before? because my library has no tiptree books, that's why.) and then i stopped reading.
you know how authors use bad things happening to animals to prove points about human characters? i react badly to that and the most extreme example of it i have ever seen is in the middle of this anthology. not only could i not finish the story, i coul
kari
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This anthology, everyone. A beautiful, multi-faceted collection showing the many shades and shapes that feminism can take; addressing a variety of issues; and showing how the female voice and identity in SFF were forged. A great introduction to those interested in this aspect of genre lit, and a powerful read that will stay with you for long after. So many amazing voices, and so many of them I haven't read before.
Marie-Therese
An exemplary anthology. There is not a single weak or even mediocre story here and many of the works included rank among the finest tales in the canon. This is an absolutely essential read for anyone who loves speculative fiction.

(Parenthetically, I am thrilled my little participation in the Kickstarter that helped bring about this volume contributed to something so fine. My money has rarely been so well spent!)
Umberto Rossi
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una splendida antologia. Ovviamente non tutti i racconti sono allo stesso livello, ma questo è inevitabile. Però come visione d'insieme sulle scritture fantasy e fantascientifiche di autrici donne, è sicuramente valida, e soprattutto apprezzo lo sforzo dei due antologisti, americani, di includere autrici di altri paesi (cosa che non accade spesso). E noto con piacere che comunque i nomi che ci DEVONO essere ci sono...
Frij
kitaptaki öyküler kesinlikle kötü değildi ama çok büyük bir kısmında çok temel 2 eksik vardı: ruh ve derinlik. okuduktan bir gün sonra bir önceki öykünün ne anlattığını hatırlamak için ilk sayfalarına bakmam gerekti. aradan sıyrılan birkaç öykü tabii ki var ve çok da sevdim o öyküleri ama 28 öykülük bir derlemede olmasalar tuhaf olurdu zaten. ayrıca türkçede angela carter'ın öyküsü yok. orijinalinde 29 öykü var antolojinin.
Ava
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
While a few of the stories were well-written and compelling, a number of the stories relied on ham-fisted, forced imagery and overdone tropes of the genre to illustrate tired, vague messages about patriarchal existence. However, it did introduce me to some new speculative authors, so for that I'll give it 3 stars instead of 2.
Mari Monte
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
FINALLY. ALL MY SCI FI GIRLS HOLLAR AT ME
Angela
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, short-stories
The broad banner of speculative fiction is, bar none, my favorite. I love it all -- fantay, sci fi, horror, everything in between. This is a speculative anthology, the unifying theme being all works by women, and truly covered all bases (in the broadest sense -- I mean thirty stories still can't cover the myriad of sub genres but there were so many flavors represented here).

I don't even know how to begin shouting my love of this anthology. So many utterly unique and diverse stories gathered toge
Nicolas Lontel
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Une anthologie de textes de science-fiction féministe qui reflète une variété de sujets (du gynocide à la violence faite aux femmes en passant par le racisme, les préjugés, l'écologie, etc.) et d'auteures. Aucun texte ne m'a laissé sur ma faim et, bien que je connaissais la majorité des auteures du recueil, je n'ai pas pu m'empêcher de noter de nouvelles lectures à effectuer suite à ma lecture de l'anthologie.
À la fois une excellente introduction à la SFF féministe, mais aussi à la SF en général
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine - Sister of the Revolution 2 15 Sep 12, 2015 01:58PM
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Walking the Clouds: An Anthology of Indigenous Science Fiction
  • The Secret Feminist Cabal: A Cultural History of Science Fiction Feminisms
  • The Secret History of Science Fiction
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • What the #@&% Is That?: The Saga Anthology of the Monstrous and the Macabre
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness
  • Her Smoke Rose Up Forever
  • The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1: Sex, the Future, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Crackpot Palace
Ann VanderMeer is an American publisher and editor, and the second female editor of the horror magazine Weird Tales. She is the founder of Buzzcity Press.

Her work as Fiction Editor of Weird Tales won a Hugo Award. Work from her press and related periodicals has won the British Fantasy Award, the International Rhysling Award, and appeared in several year's best anthologies. Ann was also the founder
“But what is life without grumbling, and the occasional opportunity to say, “I told you so”?” 0 likes