Start by marking “Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)” as Want to Read:
Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)

Crossroads of Twilight

(The Wheel of Time #10)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  92,178 ratings  ·  2,450 reviews
In the tenth book of The Wheel of Time from the New York Times #1 bestselling author Robert Jordan, the world and the characters stand at a crossroads, and the world approaches twilight, when the power of the Shadow grows stronger.

Fleeing from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, whom he is fated to marry, Mat Cauthon learns that he can neither keep her
Hardcover, First Edition, 704 pages
Published January 7th 2003 by Tor Books

·  92,178 ratings  ·  2,450 reviews

Start your review of Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, #10)
Zach
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
To help get you through a series that is always setting up future plot movement without a care for current pacing, I have invented the following

Wheel of Time Drinking Game

Take a drink whenever:

* A character makes a comment generalizing the opposite sex
* Rand's wounds are described in detail
* A woman sniffs or smooths her clothing
* Perrin smells an emotion
* "Good Two Rivers wool"
* Min's clothing's boyish nature is emphasized in a description
* Someone plays with their weapon (e.g., easing it from
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love being in the minority!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Em Lost In Books
Hope this slog fest is over and things will move forward more swiftly from this point on.
Kaora
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I keep saying that these have no action until the last 10% but this one missed the last 10% and has 0 action until the very last page.

Let me save you some time.
-Elayne is fussed over because she is pregnant. Whines about Queen stuff. Aviendha is also there.
-Min strides around in her trousers and threatens Rand with a knife.
-Rand does a whole lot of nothing except talk to voices in his head and drool over Min.
-Egwene pushes around and reads some paper.
-Some Aes Sedai in the hall are pretty. Some
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Crossroads of Twilight was maddening. I read it years ago and ended up giving up on The Wheel of Time after this book. I tried again in my preparation for reading Memory of Light, and I just couldn't manage to do it again. So, as with Winter's Heart, I cheated by reading many of the chapter summaries at Encyclopaedia WOT. I skimmed the chapters involving Perrin's hunt for Faile because I remembered how slow, grueling, and painful they were when I read them
Choko
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.65 ***

A buddy read with the WoT dedicates at BB&B!

This is book #10 of the series and is probably the one with the least action and most politicking of them all. As such, I am not surprised that it is the lowest rated of all the series, since it seems the majority of us are so addicted to the immediate gratification so prevalent in our society today, that anything which demands our brains to concentrate and actually work to figure things out instead of being spoon-fed to us, we find boring
Markus
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

Is Crossroads of Twilight the weakest Wheel of Time book I've read so far? Probably.

Is it still amazing? Pfft, it's a Wheel of Time book. Of course it is.

In terms of plot development, this book has nothing to offer. Absolutely nothing. But the world and the characters are so fantastic I don't even mind. And since for the first time, none of the protagonists
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was definitely the slowest WoT book in the series. Not a lot happened in the story arcs of the vast majority of the main characters. As a result this was probably the least enjoyable of the WoT books so far. Not to say it was bad! Jordan is an excellent storyteller and I enjoyed the vast majority of the stuff we did get.

What did happen to our favourite characters? Spoilers ahead!!!

Rand: After the dramatic events of the last book he made only a fleeting appearance in this one and did little
Robin (Bridge Four)
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Crossroads of Twilight has:

846 pages
271K words
30 Chapters + Prologue + Epilogue
22 Uniquie PoVs
45 Individual PoVs
And the plot arcs only moved forward 2 inches...2 measly inches.

description

HOW?????

Even Snails be like…
description

Part of the issue is that the first 55-60% of this book is just about what everyone else was doing while Rand and Nynaeve were trying to cleanse Saidin.

The Rundown:

Faile is still kidnapped by the Shido and Perrin is pretty much at the end of his tether trying to get her back.

Everyone still think
Brimm
May 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not even Hitler should be subjected to reading this
Shelves: fantasy
I will keep this short. In this book, absolutely nothing happens. There is no character development. There is no plot. Instead, the reader, who has so generously given Robert Jordan so much of his/her money over the course of the series, is treated to descriptions of dresses of characters whom we don't care about and who have no actual bearing on the plot. My advice to those slogging through this series: Read the last ten pages of this book, and then continue on to Knife of Dreams, a flawed book ...more
Alina
Despite the entanglement of way too many characters, some with similarly confusing names, and also despite the too elaborate descriptions (I'm not a particular fan of too detailed descriptions, and how many times can I read a very thorough depiction of a kitchen and everything in it, or of a stable, or an inn interior, or the petticoats and dress colors and cut), I still very much liked the book and the development of the events.
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really need to mention the reason for my rating of the book; it is a strange one. The only reason I gave this book 3 stars and not 2 which it deserves more is that I never reread the books I rate with 2 stars while I just finished rereading this one. I mentioned 2 star rating as a big series fan.

What exactly happened during 600+ pages? Absolutely nothing, that is what. Another big part of the frustration comes from the fact that the previous book ended with a grand event which would surely cha
Eric Allen
Sep 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Crossroads of Twilight
Book 10 of the Wheel of Time
By Robert Jordan

A Wheel of Time Retrospective by Eric Allen

I love the Wheel of Time series. It is, by far, and despite its flaws, my absolute favorite series of books. Oh, there's plenty of people out there who can point out why this series is awful and has been dragged on far too long. But you know what, I don't care. To me, this series is great. I thought it could do no wrong.

And then Crossroads of Twilight came out.

This is the series that real
Adam
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Hmmm. Well, the good news is it's not as bad as everyone says it is. The bad news is it's not all that great either.

In quickly scanning the last 10 or so reviews of this book, the complaints pretty much boil down to "it moves slowly" and "nothing happens."

I rather disagree with the latter.* The former, unfortunately, is pretty spot on. The actual problem with this book, as I see it, is not that nothing happens (see A Path of Daggers, which was great) or that it moves slowly (See The Fires of H
Jonathan Terrington

Crossroads of Twilight is an ugly duckling in The Wheel of Time. Parts of the book are chronologically set in the same time span as the previous book and other parts are set in the 'current' time after the ninth book. Adding to the unorthodox chronological timing of this book is the fact that, of all the books in this series, this book is a 'filler' book. That is not to say that nothing worth noting happens in this book. (view spoiler)
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy Read with the awesome people of BB&B!

Ten months ago I would have taken one look at this book, read a couple of chapters and promptly given up because basically nothing happens. It's a testament to Mr. Jordan's ability to spin a web of characters, events and places around the reader, that now after reading all the previous books in the series I didn't find this boring at all. Slow and frustrating at times but not boring. I remember bitching about books 1-3 with their slow build-up and exces
Manveer
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Alright. According to popular opinion, this is the worst book in the series. And it kind of is. It is not bad in the conventional way, it is just very very slow.

Like literally nothing happened in this half length book. But as a I explained earlier, I like slow. Heck, I love slow, if it also includes insight into the characters' minds and helps expand the scope of the series. And these things were there.

Okay, so this book was about Mat and Perrin, and Rand barely showed up. Well, I don't like Per
Ashley
Normally in my WOT reviews I list things that actually happened (things of significance) in these books so as to illustrate how much space was taken up by non-essential real estate. How much Jordan veered from the idea of ‘the narrative’ as a concept. Quite literally, as of this book, Jordan lost the plot entirely. Nothing. Happens. In. This. Book. And my copy has 822 pages of text, not including the glossary and maps.

There is infinitesimal movement on all fronts. Mostly the characters just sit
Hasham Rasool
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again.

What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.".

I am on book ten I feel emotional as I know I am nearly finished this series. I have got five books left to complete 'The Wheel of Time'.

I really enjoyed Winter's Heart. I personally think book 8-10 could have delivered better storylines or they
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT is notoriously many WoT fans' least favorite book in series. It's been years since I last read it, so I let all the negative hype get to me, and I started dreading my re
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
I consider myself a patient reader when it comes to "The Wheel of Time," but even I have trouble excusing Crossroads of Twilight, Book 10.

To be honest, although I recently read Crossroads of Twilight, I can't remember what happens. I actually found a summary on Wikipedia. The current plot summary is worth reading if only because each entry reads: Character / "continues" / To Do / Ongoing Plotline.

In short, not only is nothing resolved, but nothing happens.

The best that can be said in defense of
♥♫☻Olivia☻♫♥
A filler book where not much of overall importance happens. Chapters with Perrin, Faile and Elayne bored me to tears, but on the other hand I was very much interested in Egwene's chapters. Mat's POV was also entertaining to read and funny, even though almost nothing happens. This book is also notable for finally having a romantic relationship development between two characters, instead of it just being instalove like every other relationship in this series so it was very refreshing.
JDR
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I can't. I can't I can't I can't.

Do you know how to tell when you are seriously being f'd up? When you are reading one of Perrin's POVs and you NO JOKE start tearing up, not because you feel for his character or anything, but because you're so damn frustrated.

That was me. I'm so sad because I started this series, just thinking, just thinking that it might become my favorite series of all time. Somehow, I still believe that. OMG! HOW DID YOU PEOPLE GO THROUGH THIS EVERY 2 YEARS!!??

I n
Susan Kennedy
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-epic
I'm really enjoying listening to this series. This book is a good one. There is a lot going on as usual and the narrators are fantastic. The one thing about this book is there is a lot of building up and no conclusion to any of the adventures currently playing out. I still love that they are all in their own groups playing out small stories in the whole. It is a bit frustrating when none of them reach a conclusion though.

The story is fantastic, but that is because Jordan puts a great deal into h
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
IIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

A huge amount of this huge book take place simultaneously with Winter's Heart. The key words in this volume are "trying" and "continuing" as everyone continues "trying" something or is "continuing" with something that never seems to get tied up. We do get a slight move in one plot point...but it only tangles it more, doesn't move toward tying it up.

At this point I could have cried. This could have been one of the great Epic High Fantasy Series in the English Language. Instead
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
This was one of the WoT entries that I found the least enjoyable of the bunch (so much politics - shudders), but it was still good. Mat carried this one for me as his moments with Tuon were some of the best in the series and I am definitely looking forward to the last few books. It can only pick up from here.
Sotiris Karaiskos
The tenth part of the series and we've gotten for good into the final straight. I dare to say that the last 5 parts could have been a single book, which is why we have to judge this as part of a whole. It is certainly the least interesting book of the series as do not happen many things, with the writer simply developing the various threads of the plot without reaching any point at any climax, except perhaps in the end. As part of a whole, however, it is definitely interesting, and anyone who ha ...more
Shobhit Sharad
It was almost a relief to read this book after hearing so much negative about it.

I think this book solved its purpose. The purpose of this book was to show how frustrated and annoyed everyone in this book is. And that is what it does to you, and so you understand them better. That it does it by incredibly tedious and long chapters, with almost nothing happening in them is what describes the story better.

Perrin, Elayne and Mat are all waiting for their respective conclusions but there are so many
Phrynne
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Basically the whole book was about very little but I am so invested in these characters now that I enjoyed it anyway. You have to admire Jordan's skill. In seven hundred pages we never find out if Rand cleansed the source or not at the end of the previous book. That's how you make a story last through multiple huge volumes. Excited to move on to the next one of those volumes right now!

• Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (The Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (The Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Knife of Dreams (The Wheel of Time, #11)