Start by marking “Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)” as Want to Read:
Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time #10)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  73,951 Ratings  ·  1,792 Reviews
In the tenth book of The Wheel of Time from the New York Times #1 bestselling author Robert Jordan, the world and the characters stand at a crossroads, and the world approaches twilight, when the power of the Shadow grows stronger.

Fleeing from Ebou Dar with the kidnapped Daughter of the Nine Moons, whom he is fated to marry, Mat Cauthon learns that he can neither keep her
Hardcover, First Edition, 704 pages
Published January 7th 2003 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2003)

Zach
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
To help get you through a series that is always setting up future plot movement without a care for current pacing, I have invented the following

Wheel of Time Drinking Game

Take a drink whenever:

* A character makes a comment generalizing the opposite sex
* Rand's wounds are described in detail
* A woman sniffs or smooths her clothing
* Perrin smells an emotion
* "Good Two Rivers wool"
* Min's clothing's boyish nature is emphasized in a description
* Someone plays with their weapon (e.g., easing it from
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love being in the minority!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐾🐺
Choko
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.65 ***

A buddy read with the WoT dedicates at BB&B!

This is book #10 of the series and is probably the one with the least action and most politicking of them all. As such, I am not surprised that it is the lowest rated of all the series, since it seems the majority of us are so addicted to the immediate gratification so prevalent in our society today, that anything which demands our brains to concentrate and actually work to figure things out instead of being spoon-fed to us, we find bo
Kat  Hooper
Mar 31, 2009 rated it did not like it
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Crossroads of Twilight was maddening. I read it years ago and ended up giving up on The Wheel of Time after this book. I tried again in my preparation for reading Memory of Light, and I just couldn't manage to do it again. So, as with Winter's Heart, I cheated by reading many of the chapter summaries at Encyclopaedia WOT. I skimmed the chapters involving Perrin's hunt for Faile because I remembered how slow, grueling, and painful they were when I read them
Markus
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

Is Crossroads of Twilight the weakest Wheel of Time book I've read so far? Probably.

Is it still amazing? Pfft, it's a Wheel of Time book. Of course it is.

In terms of plot development, this book has nothing to offer. Absolutely nothing. But the world and the characters are so fantastic I don't even mind. And since for the first time, none of the protagonists
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was definitely the slowest WoT book in the series. Not a lot happened in the story arcs of the vast majority of the main characters. As a result this was probably the least enjoyable of the WoT books so far. Not to say it was bad! Jordan is an excellent storyteller and I enjoyed the vast majority of the stuff we did get.

What did happen to our favourite characters? Spoilers ahead!!!

Rand: After the dramatic events of the last book he made only a fleeting appearance in this one and did little
Robin (Bridge Four)
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
Crossroads of Twilight has:

846 pages
271K words
30 Chapters + Prologue + Epilogue
22 Uniquie PoVs
45 Individual PoVs
And the plot arcs only moved forward 2 inches...2 measly inches.

description

HOW?????

Even Snails be like…
description

Part of the issue is that the first 55-60% of this book is just about what everyone else was doing while Rand and Nynaeve were trying to cleanse Saidin.

The Rundown:

Faile is still kidnapped by the Shido and Perrin is pretty much at the end of his tether trying to get her back.

Everyone still think
Kaora
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I keep saying that these have no action until the last 10% but this one missed the last 10% and has 0 action until the very last page.

Let me save you some time.
-Elayne is fussed over because she is pregnant. Whines about Queen stuff. Aviendha is also there.
-Min strides around in her trousers and threatens Rand with a knife.
-Rand does a whole lot of nothing except talk to voices in his head and drool over Min.
-Egwene pushes around and reads some paper.
-Some Aes Sedai in the hall are pretty. Some
Brahm
May 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not even Hitler should be subjected to reading this
Shelves: fantasy
I will keep this short. In this book, absolutely nothing happens. There is no character development. There is no plot. Instead, the reader, who has so generously given Robert Jordan so much of his/her money over the course of the series, is treated to descriptions of dresses of characters whom we don't care about and who have no actual bearing on the plot. My advice to those slogging through this series: Read the last ten pages of this book, and then continue on to Knife of Dreams, a flawed book ...more
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really need to mention the reason for my rating of the book; it is a strange one. The only reason I gave this book 3 stars and not 2 which it deserves more is that I never reread the books I rate with 2 stars while I just finished rereading this one. I mentioned 2 star rating as a big series fan.

What exactly happened during 600+ pages? Absolutely nothing, that is what. Another big part of the frustration comes from the fact that the previous book ended with a grand event which would surely cha
Adam
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Hmmm. Well, the good news is it's not as bad as everyone says it is. The bad news is it's not all that great either.

In quickly scanning the last 10 or so reviews of this book, the complaints pretty much boil down to "it moves slowly" and "nothing happens."

I rather disagree with the latter.* The former, unfortunately, is pretty spot on. The actual problem with this book, as I see it, is not that nothing happens (see A Path of Daggers, which was great) or that it moves slowly (See The Fires of H
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy Read with the awesome people of BB&B!

Ten months ago I would have taken one look at this book, read a couple of chapters and promptly given up because basically nothing happens. It's a testament to Mr. Jordan's ability to spin a web of characters, events and places around the reader, that now after reading all the previous books in the series I didn't find this boring at all. Slow and frustrating at times but not boring. I remember bitching about books 1-3 with their slow build-up and e
Eric Allen
Sep 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Crossroads of Twilight
Book 10 of the Wheel of Time
By Robert Jordan

A Wheel of Time Retrospective by Eric Allen

I love the Wheel of Time series. It is, by far, and despite its flaws, my absolute favorite series of books. Oh, there's plenty of people out there who can point out why this series is awful and has been dragged on far too long. But you know what, I don't care. To me, this series is great. I thought it could do no wrong.

And then Crossroads of Twilight came out.

This is the series that real
Manveer
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Alright. According to popular opinion, this is the worst book in the series. And it kind of is. It is not bad in the conventional way, it is just very very slow.

Like literally nothing happened in this half length book. But as a I explained earlier, I like slow. Heck, I love slow, if it also includes insight into the characters' minds and helps expand the scope of the series. And these things were there.

Okay, so this book was about Mat and Perrin, and Rand barely showed up. Well, I don't like Per
Ashley
Normally in my WOT reviews I list things that actually happened (things of significance) in these books so as to illustrate how much space was taken up by non-essential real estate. How much Jordan veered from the idea of ‘the narrative’ as a concept. Quite literally, as of this book, Jordan lost the plot entirely. Nothing. Happens. In. This. Book. And my copy has 822 pages of text, not including the glossary and maps.

There is infinitesimal movement on all fronts. Mostly the characters just sit
Ryan
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
I consider myself a patient reader when it comes to "The Wheel of Time," but even I have trouble excusing Crossroads of Twilight, Book 10.

To be honest, although I recently read Crossroads of Twilight, I can't remember what happens. I actually found a summary on Wikipedia. The current plot summary is worth reading if only because each entry reads: Character / "continues" / To Do / Ongoing Plotline.

In short, not only is nothing resolved, but nothing happens.

The best that can be said in defense of
Milica
Na momente vrlo dosadna, na momente veoma zanimljiva. Sve u svemu, Met i Egvena zahtevaju odmah nastavak u ruke.

Prolupaću od ovog Džordana! :D
Mike (the Paladin)
Sep 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
IIIIIIEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

A huge amount of this huge book take place simultaneously with Winter's Heart. The key words in this volume are "trying" and "continuing" as everyone continues "trying" something or is "continuing" with something that never seems to get tied up. We do get a slight move in one plot point...but it only tangles it more, doesn't move toward tying it up.

At this point I could have cried. This could have been one of the great Epic High Fantasy Series in the English Language. Instead
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

NOTICE: this reread is in preparation for finally biting the bullet and reading book 14. That means I HAVE NOT read book 14 yet. Please be mindful of this in the comments, both for me and for others who may or may not have progressed past this point in the series. Thank you.

CROSSROADS OF TWILIGHT is notoriously many WoT fans' least favorite book in series. It's been years since I last read it, so I let all the negative hype get to me, and I started dreading my re
Kyle
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
The Wheel of Time series represents, for me, the perfect example of a guilty pleasure in the world of fantasy.

This series is not actually written very well. Robert Jordan was not a very good wordsmith, and he really only knew how to say and describe things one way. His characters are generally unbelievable, and have ridiculous dialogue. The plot is tremendously predictable, and is heavily influenced (close to the point of being unoriginal) by the fantasy works that came before. The whole story i
Jonathan Terrington

Crossroads of Twilight is an ugly duckling in The Wheel of Time. Parts of the book are chronologically set in the same time span as the previous book and other parts are set in the 'current' time after the ninth book. Adding to the unorthodox chronological timing of this book is the fact that, of all the books in this series, this book is a 'filler' book. That is not to say that nothing worth noting happens in this book. (view spoiler)
JDR
Aug 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, prose
Honestly, I can't. I can't I can't I can't.

Do you know how to tell when you are seriously being f'd up? When you are reading one of Perrin's POVs and you NO JOKE start tearing up, not because you feel for his character or anything, but because you're so damn frustrated.

That was me. I'm so sad because I started this series, just thinking, just thinking that it might become my favorite series of all time. Somehow, I still believe that. OMG! HOW DID YOU PEOPLE GO THROUGH THIS EVERY 2 YEARS!!??

I ne
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
This was one of the WoT entries that I found the least enjoyable of the bunch (so much politics - shudders), but it was still good. Mat carried this one for me as his moments with Tuon were some of the best in the series and I am definitely looking forward to the last few books. It can only pick up from here.
Phrynne
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Basically the whole book was about very little but I am so invested in these characters now that I enjoyed it anyway. You have to admire Jordan's skill. In seven hundred pages we never find out if Rand cleansed the source or not at the end of the previous book. That's how you make a story last through multiple huge volumes. Excited to move on to the next one of those volumes right now!
YouKneeK
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crossroads of Twilight is the tenth book in The Wheel of Time. I think what I liked best about this book was that all of the main characters’ stories were given at least a little page time. Many, but not all, of the smaller subplots moved forward a tiny bit also. It seemed like at least one major storyline was always left hanging in the last few books, and I wouldn’t have been happy about letting any of the main stories sit on the back burner during this entire book, so I was happy to see them a ...more
Shobhit Sharad
It was almost a relief to read this book after hearing so much negative about it.

I think this book solved its purpose. The purpose of this book was to show how frustrated and annoyed everyone in this book is. And that is what it does to you, and so you understand them better. That it does it by incredibly tedious and long chapters, with almost nothing happening in them is what describes the story better.

Perrin, Elayne and Mat are all waiting for their respective conclusions but there are so many
Joby Walker
Apr 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Every would be author of epic fantasy (or any long running series) should be required to (prior to being published) document the failings of The Wheel of Time with particular focus on this book.

It is really hard to comprehend how in a nearly 700 page book not only nothing happens, but nothing happens to a bunch of people you don't care about. Most of the book is the multitude of secondary threads reacting to the events at the conclusion of Winter's Heart. Instead of reading the book, I'd recomm
Doğan
May 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eziyet gibi bir okumayla daha karşınızdayım. Lafı çok uzatmayacağım. Bu kitabı okuduktan sonra Kışın Yüreği'ne o kadar laf söylediğim için pişmanım. Zaman Çarkını okuyanlar bilir Aes Sedailerin %95'ine gıcık oluruz. İnsanlar bu kadar Aes Sedailere gıcık iken 30 bölüm + Ön söz + Son söz, yani toplamda 32 bölümlük bir kitabın 25 bölümünü Aes Sedailere ayırmak niye? Sonuç olarak elim 11.kitaba gitmiyor. Üzgünüm.
David
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
So....do you want the good news or the bad news?

Ok, bad news first.

1) This is mostly a really dull read. The first two-thirds of this book are completely superfluous. Nothing much happens until Chapter 19, which is more than 2/3 of the way through.

2) A large portion of this book has to do with Aes Sedai politics and in-fighting. This is completely unremarkable, especially as it typically does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to advance the plot. Prepare yourself for lots of passive-aggressive insults and dre
Rob
Executive Summary: All of the "slow" books have been better on a reread. Sadly this one might have actually been a bit worse. It's not quite 1-star bad, but I'm happy to be out the other side.

Audiobook: Michael Kramer and Kate Reading saved me from possibly never completing this book for my reread. There is no way I'd have gotten through the text again so quickly. They do a fantastic job with the rather bland material they are given here.

Full Review
This is the book I was dreading when I decide
The Not a Book Cl...: COT: Part 7 (Chapters 29-End) 12 9 Mar 07, 2017 06:50AM
The Not a Book Cl...: COT: Part 6 (Chapters 22-28) 6 5 Mar 06, 2017 09:29AM
The Not a Book Cl...: COT: Part 5 (Chapters 17-21) 5 6 Mar 02, 2017 10:33PM
The Not a Book Cl...: COT: Part 4 (Chapters 13-16) 5 6 Feb 28, 2017 09:21PM
The Not a Book Cl...: COT: Part 3 (Chapters 7-12) 6 6 Feb 27, 2017 06:37AM
The Not a Book Cl...: COT: Part 2 (Chapters 1-6) 4 8 Feb 25, 2017 11:04AM
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
  • Krondor: Tear of the Gods (The Riftwar Legacy, #3)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Serpent Mage (The Death Gate Cycle, #4)
  • Shadowplay (Shadowmarch, #2)
  • Ilse Witch (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #1)
  • The Shining Ones (The Tamuli, #2)
  • Scion of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce #11)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Sometimes, pain is all that lets you know you're alive.” 146 likes