The Challenge Factory discussion

218 views
2019 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Kelby, ShoSho, Kristin, & Trea - Throne of Glass Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 395 (395 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5534 comments Mod
Kelby, Skandia & Trea - Throne of Glass Series


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Let me know when you ladies want to start reading this!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I am on the 3rd Novella, about 130 pgs in. Is anyone else reading this??


message 4: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Not currently, but I'll try to start it this weekend sometime. I'm in the middle of one right now and have another to read before a buddy read on Monday.


message 5: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
The novellas are supposed to be Prequels, right? I'm slowly going through them, and the first novella didn't feel like a prequel! I had no clue about the universe, and too many questions to make it an easy read. Gonna keep going, but really think I should have read Throne of Glass first.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Yes, they are supposed to be Prequels BUT, they are only meant to give you Celaena's backstory. The last story (which I am currently reading) ends with how the Throne of Glass picks up so you really aren't hurting anything by reading the novellas first. I kind of wish that I had done it that way.


message 7: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "Yes, they are supposed to be Prequels BUT, they are only meant to give you Celaena's backstory. The last story (which I am currently reading) ends with how the Throne of Glass picks up so you reall..."

Ah, ok! I hadn't read much more beyond the first novella, but I'll be picking it back up ASAP.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I give the first novella, The Assassin and The Pirate Lord a 3.5 out of 5 stars. So far my least favorite of the novellas is The Assassin and The Healer. I really liked The Assassin and The Underworld.


message 9: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "I give the first novella, The Assassin and The Pirate Lord a 3.5 out of 5 stars. So far my least favorite of the novellas is The Assassin and The Healer. I really liked The Assassin and The Underworld."

I'd rate The Assassin and The Pirate Lord a 2.5 star read for me, but I haven't gotten to the rest of the novellas yet.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I finished the book this afternoon and I absolutely LOVED the last novella!!!! I wish I had read it before I started Throne of Glass. I will say that in the first 2 books she still doesn't know who betrayed her (not a spoiler I promise) but WE find out who it was in The Assassin and the Empire!


message 11: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
I hope to get back to this tomorrow!


message 12: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Trea wrote: "I hope to get back to this tomorrow!"

Well, I did end up reading the second novella and starting the third one last night. I really enjoyed the healer story! That showed me that Celaena had a softer side, that there was more to her than being an assassin with a conscience. That one was the story that sparked my interest! Hopefully, I'll be able to get more read today!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Yes, she may have the rough and tough persona but she really cares about other people.


message 14: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
I'm still working my way through this...I just finished the Desert story today. Very long and drawn out, but I did like the end fight.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I agree. That one was filled with a lot of "fluff". I was bored quickly. I did have a feeling Ansel was up to no good when she wouldn't let Celanea come to the meeting with her. I didn't trust her from the start so her actions were no surprise.


message 16: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "I agree. That one was filled with a lot of "fluff". I was bored quickly. I did have a feeling Ansel was up to no good when she wouldn't let Celanea come to the meeting with her. I didn't trust her ..."

I finished it this morning. I'm not sure how I feel about it all. The final story was interesting, and made me want to move into Throne of Glass.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Throne of Glass is more fast paced. I think you will like it way better than the novellas.


message 18: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "Throne of Glass is more fast paced. I think you will like it way better than the novellas."

I'm hoping so! I may not get to it before next month though, but if we plan Heir of Fire for midmonth or so, I should be able to get the other two read before that.


message 19: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 435 comments I plan to start next week. This month has been crazy busy :(


message 20: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Skandia wrote: "I plan to start next week. This month has been crazy busy :("

Same for me! Took me 12 days to read this one!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I will be here to discuss the first 2 books with you and will start reading the third whenever you both have caught up :)


message 22: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "I will be here to discuss the first 2 books with you and will start reading the third whenever you both have caught up :)"

Sounds good! Dystopian Romance got called for the Genre of the Month in one of my other groups, and a lot of the dystopian lists had this series on it, so I get to kill two birds with one stone!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I take it Skandia isn't reading with us after all?


message 24: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "I take it Skandia isn't reading with us after all?"

Not sure, haven't heard from her for the previous book...


message 25: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 3592 comments I'm reading the first one at the moment. Which book are you guys on?


message 26: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Maddison wrote: "I'm reading the first one at the moment. Which book are you guys on?"

We just finished the Prequel book: The Assassin's Blade. Kelby has read the first two, I think, but I need to read Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight before we get to Heir of Fire in April.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Yep, Trea is correct! I can't wait to read Heir of Fire. I want to finish this series by summer so that I'm caught up when the 5th book comes out in September.


message 28: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "Yep, Trea is correct! I can't wait to read Heir of Fire. I want to finish this series by summer so that I'm caught up when the 5th book comes out in September."

Kelby, would you be willing to start this around the 10th? I'm going to try to squeeze in the other two before then.


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I'm ready when you are!


message 30: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "I'm ready when you are!"

All righty, I'll plan for the 10th then!


message 31: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Just finished Throne of Glass...and you were right. Reading The Assassin's Blade first made Throne much more enjoyable! I also couldn't put Throne down! I started it before bed last night and got to chapter 6. I woke up this morning at 6am EST and finished it in 4 hours. Very good book!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Yay!!! So glad you liked it. Crown of Midnight is even better! It goes a lot deeper into what's happening. She got lucky on the poison challenge...I was nervous there for a second...LOL.

How did you feel about her holding back and not letting them know who she really was? I have mixed feelings about it. I see why they told her to pretend to be someone else but wonder how different things would have been had she been able to use her strength and abilities full force and let them know that she was Adarlan's Assassin.


message 33: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "Yay!!! So glad you liked it. Crown of Midnight is even better! It goes a lot deeper into what's happening. She got lucky on the poison challenge...I was nervous there for a second...LOL.

How did you feel about her holding back and not letting them know who she really was? I have mixed feelings about it. I see why they told her to pretend to be someone else but wonder how different things would have been had she been able to use her strength and abilities full force and let them know that she was Adarlan's Assassin."


Yeah, I got a bit worried at the poison challenge as well...had flashbacks to Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study there for a moment too! I'm glad that she had the "shade" of Elena guiding her!

I think it was a wise move at first, because if they had lead with her true identity, she would have been a target from the start...or there wouldn't be much of a competition, as the other contestants wouldn't have tried hard at all! However, I think that by halfway through the competition, most everyone knew that she was holding back, and could have figured her identity out like Nox did. No sense in keeping it a secret until the duels, really, but I can also see some sense in doing so.

What did you think of Elena's parting comment about Celanea's bloodline? I've got a theory about it...and I'll freak out if I'm right!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments After the end of that book I was dying to read the next one and what I guessed was right and I am sooooo excited!!! So after reading the first book are you Team Dorian or Team Chaol?


message 35: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "After the end of that book I was dying to read the next one and what I guessed was right and I am sooooo excited!!! So after reading the first book are you Team Dorian or Team Chaol?"

Tough call! Right now, I'm leaning more toward Team Dorian, but I agree with Celanea's reasons for breaking it off with him. Chaol acted like a jerk for too much of this book for me to change factions. I reserve final judgement until I read Crown though!

One of my partners for another BR wanted to read that book ASAP, so I've started it along with her. Hopefully will have it done sometime today, then on to Crown. If it is anything like Throne, we'll be able to start Heir early!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Crown is a faced paced book of emotion!!! I think you will like Chaol much better in Crown.


message 37: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "Crown is a faced paced book of emotion!!! I think you will like Chaol much better in Crown."

I hope so! I think he'd be a bit of a better fit for Celanea overall, but his actions in this story made me not like him much.


message 38: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Started Crown this afternoon!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments How are you liking it???


message 40: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Not very far in, only 7% in right now. I like what Celanea is doing though, about the "targets" she's assigned. I bet Dorien would change his tune about her actions if he knew the truth!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Right! I love that she isn't killing them right away but giving them a chance to get away.


message 42: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "Right! I love that she isn't killing them right away but giving them a chance to get away."

I'm at the point where she's gotten Archer for her next target...it will be interesting to see how she handles that!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments OMG!!! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for you to finish the book so we can talk about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


message 44: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "OMG!!! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for you to finish the book so we can talk about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

*laughs* I'm going to try to hurry!


message 45: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Why did she tell him?! She shouldn't have told him! With how loyal Chaol is, did she honestly think he'd accept her little secret about her targets?! She's nuts!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments She put him in danger by telling him because if they found out that he knew, they would kill him! I think she just needed to tell SOMEONE what she was doing. I think he was more pissed because they would kill her if they found out what she was doing and he really cares about her.


message 47: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
Kelby wrote: "She put him in danger by telling him because if they found out that he knew, they would kill him! I think she just needed to tell SOMEONE what she was doing. I think he was more pissed because they..."

Agreed! Still, she should have told the Princess, instead of Chaol. At least she would have understood and possibly helped her!


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments Yes, Nehmia was her BFF and on her side...she should have told her everything!


message 49: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
I got busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to post, but I finished Crown on the 7th, pretty late in the evening.

I was right! Celanea is from Terrasen and OMG, the reveal there! I had a niggling on it, but to know I was right was just awesome!

Chaol is still a jerk. He does a lot of stupid stuff in this story, and all it does is drives a rift between him and Celanea. Sorry, I'm declaring Team Dorian here, especially in light of the King Gavin/Queen Elena thing that him and Celanea have going.

The development of Dorian's character took an interesting turn, and made the story more interesting, I think. I did a mental palate cleanse after reading it, but I'm pretty ready to dive into Heir today. Ready to start or need a day?


Kelby *TwistedCactusReads* (twistedcactusreads) | 364 comments I'm curious to see where the little love triangle goes I'm ready to start Heir. I may not be able to read it as fast as you but I will try to keep up...LOL It will probably take me a week or so to read that book so I'm in no rush.


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
back to top