Start by marking “A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)

A Court of Thorns and Roses

(A Court of Thorns and Roses #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  356,599 ratings  ·  38,300 reviews
Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical ki
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 419 pages
Published May 5th 2015 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about A Court of Thorns and Roses, please sign up.
Pam I SHIP #FEYRHYS SO HARD I THINK MY SHIP MAST IS GONNA SHOOT UP THROUGH THE OUTER SPACE HUHUHU
Nicole Prak No, but I'm secretly terrified there will be one between Feyre and Rhysand later on in the series. *fingers crossed* don't have a love triangle plz…moreNo, but I'm secretly terrified there will be one between Feyre and Rhysand later on in the series. *fingers crossed* don't have a love triangle plz plz plz(less)

·  356,599 ratings  ·  38,300 reviews

Start your review of A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

Clearly I'm in the minority here. DNF at 30% because I just got fed up with things moving at a snail's pace and NOT MAKING SENSE AT ALL. This was one of the most uncompelling versions of Beauty and the Beast that I have ever read. The writing is nothing outstanding, there was nothing that moved me. I felt Cruel Beauty among other B&B retellings I've read this year and last have done a far superior job at moving me emotionally.

Look, I'm sure by the end of the book, all the things tie together and everything's just dandy
Jillian
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
INITIAL REACTION: WILL UPDATE WITH REVIEW LATER BUT KNOW I LOVED THIS. IT KILLED ME AND BROUGHT ME BACK TO LIFE Y'ALL.

A REVIEW IN GIFs :

FEYLIN/TAMEY:
 photo tumblr_m6vjcyuNY51qdd3gno1_500_zpsioajfzl5.gif

LITERALLY ME WHENEVER THEY SPOKE TO/LOOKED AT EACH OTHER:
 photo 12695600_zpsftg16b0d.gif

THE PLOT WAS BASICALLY EVERYTHING I WANTED IT WAS...
 photo 13986870_zpsbml4mutx.gif

Amarantha,
 photo hateu_zpskbavcxsz.gif

Also Rhysand:
 photo getoffmyboat_zpscfv1l4e5.gif
(more like get off my SHIP, am I right??)

Feyre's character development was ON POINT:
 photo neverexpected_zpseylnwhyc.gif

BASICALLY THIS WAS ME AFTER READING IT:
 photo 882847_zpsdnojvaw2.gif

photo soulhurts_zps10oj2nls.gif

photo dead1_zps09aryrwr.gif

photo when-youre-almost-done-with-a-book-and-you-realize-there-arent-enough-pages-left-for-all-the-things-that-need-to-happen_zpsipibbuic.gif

photo tumblr_nk7eysuwpJ1qiavcao1_400_zpsiy8ta9sj.gif
Emily May
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Maybe my rating comes as a surprise or even - if you care - a disappointment, but let me assure you: no one is more surprised or disappointed than I am.

I've had this book on my TBR ever since it appeared on Goodreads without a title, cover or description. I started reading it as soon as it became available and the array of positive reviews from my friends and strangers alike made me feel sure I would love it. But I didn't. It is possible I expected all the wrong things from A Court of Th
Miranda Reads
Check out this book in my very first video review!
description
Anyway, onwards to the review!
description
The first half sucks but keep reading

There's no way around it. From page 1 to about 200, Feyre is an annoying, blindingly stupid and obstinate main character.

I nearly put this book down half a dozen times (it was like reading Red Queen). BUT, midway through the book, things turned around magnificently. And I cannot wait to read the sequel.

Feyre is hunting in the middle of the woods to keep her useless starving family alive (Hunger Games, anyone?). A chance encounter with a wolf - whotosucksreview!review!
Lola
A richly imagined fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast!

If you’re a lover of retellings mingling romance, danger, faerie mystical creatures and a heroine that shows a significant deal of courage throughout, then this is one title you will not want to miss out and will very likely considerably enjoy.

The world-building is inventive and detailed. The different Courts of faeries are an element that adds great originality to this story. At first, A Court of Thorns and Roses might appear similar to plenty of fantasy
Raeleen Lemay
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This book is the result of Bella Swan being thrown into a fantasy world and trying to be Katniss Everdeen. She did not succeed.

OK MORE REVIEW:

I genuinely really enjoyed some aspects of this book, but I couldn't stand Feyre, or Tamlin... or anybody really, except for Lucien. I feel like Lucien was the only character who had an interesting back story, and he was just a much better presence than either of the main characters.

BUT THE INSTALOVE. THE INSTALOVE, GUYS. IT KILLS
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Tamlin is going to set your loins aflame. Phew! My cheeks are still flushed.

I'm also fairly confident this book is going to help change the face of new adult fiction. How awesome to see gifted writers shaping non-contemporary stories that have the coming of age/youthful perspective and vibe of YA books and combine that with the freedom that writing for an older target audience affords them. If you liked the mood and romance of (the excellent) CRUEL BEAUTY but perhaps mourned the missed opp
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
wow. Just wow. Sarah has done it again! This book was amazing! The romance was borderline new adult which I loved but it was also greatly paced. The plot was so well thought out and executed as well. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES!
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, owned
SPOILER FREE REVIEW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psls2...

*Reread April 2016
Took me centuries to reread this but it was worth it!

TEAM TAMLIN
THIS WAS FABULOUS
s j maas can do no wrong i swear to god
Christine Riccio
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one! Here's my booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLYC...
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a solid start to this new series! I'm really interested to see where things go. I did find a few things to be a bit questionable, but I can't say what they are because HELLO SPOILERS. I'll be doing a full review/discussion on this sooooooon!
Maria
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.8/5 Stars ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.”

I'm speechless. What am I supposed to say after this? Am I supposed to write a coherent review with vital points as to why this book WAS FUCKING AMAZING??? I CAN'T EVEN TALK RIGHT NOW I'M SPEECHLESS. I WANT THE SECOND BOOK IN MY HANDS BUT MY ORDER STILL HASN'T COME. I'M READY TO GO TO FUCKING ENGLAND MYSELF AND PURCHASE IT. KIDS I'M LITERALLY DYING HERE.

The Beauty and the Beast-esque fantasy drama tells the story o
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
“I wasn’t faerie, but I was a part of this earth, and the earth was a part of me, and I would be content to dance upon it for the rest of my life.”

~3.5 stars~

ACOTAR was nothing short of a delightful enigma, there was so much in this novel that I adored and some things that I wish were better. It blew me all the way away and left me wanting more of its glorious world and even mightier characters.

note: copyright of all fanart goes to their amazing artists
_______________

The Land of The Fae
So not only was this my first SJM bookartists
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so much better the second time around. I found I wasn't so concerned about rushing through to get to the next book; since I already knew what happens I was able to savor the details and carve out a tiny piece of my heart for Tam Tam (but not really because duh). On to the next one!

3.5 STARS

I am 100% embarrassed by how much I loved this book. Everything in the Humphrey household is going awry so it was wonderful being able to escape in Feyre's exciting problems and leave my
Zoë
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2015!
I am a huge Beauty and the Beast fan and was in the mood for fantasy, so those combined and written by one of my favorite authors was perfection!
I definitely recommend this book to everyone and can't wait for the next installment.
Warda
5th reread.
I think this is my most read series alongside Harry Potter and Mistborn.

-------------------------------

Well, I wasn't expecting for this book to hurt like a bitch again, but it did. Even though, I was aware of what was to come, my heart bled for Feyre. Those scenes that took place Under the Mountain were written ridiculously well and massive props to Queen Maas for captivating and writing about Feyre's struggles, internal dialogue and despair like that. I felt every word
Samantha
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I cannot remember ever being this conflicted over a book. There are parts of A Court of Thorns and Roses I really loved, but a lot of parts I really hated.

I went into this book fully expecting to love it. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales, and I was interested to see how SJM made the story her own.

First off, my biggest problem with this story was Feyre as a character. I have never been so irritated. Her character development and personality, for the most part, didn't make
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
2.5 Stars

Once again, I find myself the odd man out when it comes to a massively popular book...

I went into this really excited and and really wanting to love this thing.

After seeing this book and its successors paint my feed with its courts and thorns and wings and ruin, I knew there was a lot of hype surrounding this series in general.

And this first installment just didn't live up to it for me, sadly.

There, there, Court Thornians...

description

Quite frankly, the first 60% of this book dragged like a U-Haul trailer with no wheels.

Nothing really hap
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
”You murdered my friend,” the beast snarled. “Murdered him, skinned his corpse, sold it at the market, and then said he deserved it, and yet you have the nerve to question my generosity?”

When I first read “A Court of Thorns and Roses” I thought that this would be some sort of “The Beauty and the Beast” retelling and I guess in some way it truly is. Well, at least at first it seems to be one, the longer you read, the more it goes into an entirely different direction though.

And I think it was e
Angela
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SARAH J MAAS DOES IT AGAIN!!!! KNOCKED MY FREAKING SOCKS OFF AND WITH A STORY RE-TELLING?!!!!

I hate story re-tellings!!! I hate them but this, this master piece is no Beauty and the Beast. I'm just gonna jump right into everything and just a little warning: I'm so sorry if this seems like I'm frantically flapping around on my keyboard, but I'm just that excited.

I was so worried that this book would have a plot too close to Throne of Glass and that the characters would also bare that same fate... But thank the literary go
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 on Kindle US today 12/23/18

This was a re-read on Audible. It's my favorite new thing, to re-read books either through Audible or Overdrive.

I must say this was better the second time around but ye gods, I thought I was going to gag a maggot with all the lovey dovey and sex with Tamlin. I mean after falling in love with Rhys I can't even people. And also, who could have sex with some old beast after he had that ritual thing with someone else. Ewwww! I know it's some THING but I don
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of fantasy, Fae, and fairy tale retellings.
5/3/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

4/17/18: Maybe it’s b/c I listened to it—the narrator was fantastic—but Feyre was a lot less irritating this time around. Then there’s the fact that I already knew (view spoiler) I took almost sadistic pleasure in cataloguing all the signs, and, MAN ALIVE, there were a lot of them.

And all of that is why I’m raising my original 3.5 star rating to a full 4.0 stars. #idowhatiwant

4/16/18: REREAD.#idowhatiwant
Perfection?
HALLELUJUH MY SENORITAS! :'D
Maureen
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been anticipating this book and SARAH DID NOT DISAPPOINT! it was so wonderful and just everything. I LOVED IT SO MUCH and audibly squealed at many parts. Just...wonderful. So wonderful.

Update: I have officially influenced two people to buy this book. MUAHAHA IT BEGINS.
jessica
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg you guys. look at my original review! i totally thought tamlin was bae. im dying. oh, to be young and innocent. 2018 was such a simpler time.

but i still loathe nesta with every fibre of my being, so i guess some things never change. lol.

______________________________

this was serving me some major ‘beauty and the beast’ meets ‘twilight’ realness. and i had no idea that was something i needed in my life until now. i completely understand the hype around this book. all
Navessa
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Incredibly rough start. The first chapter is one of the most annoying I've ever read. Despite the compelling subject matter, I really struggled with it, because it was filled with passive and fragmented sentences. In three paragraphs alone, five sentences start with, "But". It drove me crazy, and is why it took me three attempts to finally get into this book.

BUT(view spoiler) once I did, wh
Jessica
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Reread May 2026 -- still just as amazing as the first time!

Wow. So I expected to at least LIKE this book because it was written by one of my favorite authors... But I never expected to love it. I mean obviously I was hoping it would be awesome, but Sarah J. Maas has already created an incredible series that I'm so in love with, and I can't expect that she would have it in her to create TWO insanely, amazing series. I'm so impressed with her right now... Seriously... Soooo amazing. It
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Prepare to see what I felt like during the reading of this book...............................................................

(The original gif of the fat guy with boobs flopping in slow motion won't load. Thanks GR)

This shit reads slowwwwwlyyyyy. Not much happens in the entire first 2/3 of this whole book.
You have Feyre who is feeding her dad and her two evil stepsisters. Oh wait, this is Beauty and the Beast not Cinderella. Anyways, her dad is pretty much spineless after losing his money and the two sisters aren't going to s
Zainab
Oh my God I want to cry this was so bad and that cringey Tamlin made me want to double cry.

"I was as unburdened as a piece of dandelion fluff, and he was the wind that stirred me about the world.”

Get outta here, dumbass.
Andreea Pop
4.5 STARS

"I love you," I said, and stabbed him.

They say fairytales are forever, endless stories woven with magic. But sometimes, although you hold dear those innocent depictions of love and courage from childhood memories, your mind desires a new outlook on those tales. Case in point, A Court of Thorns and Roses by the ever-brilliant Sarah J. Maas, manages to dress the wonderful key-elements of Beauty and the Beast into a mesmerizing journey with threads of smart originality, enthralling fantasy and quite sexySTARS

• Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • Cruel Beauty
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet

A Court of Thorns and Roses (6 books)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #5)
  • Untitled (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #6)
“Don't feel bad for one moment about doing what brings you joy.” 2039 likes