Start by marking “The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)

The Assassin and the Desert

(Throne of Glass #0.3)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  28,468 ratings  ·  1,360 reviews
The Silent Assassins of the Red Desert aren’t much for conversation, and Celaena Sardothien wouldn’t have it any other way. She’s not there to chatter, she’s there to hone her craft as the world’s most feared killer for hire. When the quiet is shattered by forces who want to destroy the Silent Assassins, Celaena must find a way to stop them, or she’ll be lucky to leave the ...more
Published March 30th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

·  28,468 ratings  ·  1,360 reviews

Start your review of The Assassin and the Desert (Throne of Glass, #0.3)
~Poppy~
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
“If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything. Some people learn to embrace it—to love it. Some endure it through drowning it in sorrow, or by making themselves forget. Others turn it into anger. But Ansel let her pain become hate, and let it consume her until she became something else entirely—a person I don’t think she ever wished to be.”
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 STAR'S

“If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything."

The Assassin and the Desert was by far the best novella in this series thus far :) It takes place in The Red Desert with The Silent Assassins. Where Celeana was sent by Arobynn as punishment to train with The Mute Master. I thoroughly enjoyed every last minute of it!! It blew me away and I can't believe how much I truly loved it! I was very much surprised at all the twists and turns and the number of details Maas was able t
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands down, my favorite novella thus far! I'm speechless as to how much I actually loved this story. It reminded me a lot of Nevernight, and although it made the story very predictable because of how similar both stories were, I didn't mind it one bit.

I actually loved Celaena in this. This is the Celaena I love! This is the Celaena I wish Aelin could be. She wasn't overly arrogant. She wasn't annoyingly cocky. In fact, I found her to be actually humble in this novella, and very likable.

The chara
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
Q:
“To being the most fearsome and imposing girls the world has ever seen.” (с)
Q:
Tomorrow will be better. It might be only a foot more than today, but it will be a foot longer that you can run. (c)
Q:
...education and culture were equally important—words could be just as deadly as steel. (c)
Q:
She looked to the open window, to the world beyond. For the first time in a long while, she heard the song of a northern wind, calling her home. And she was not afraid. (c)

This time Celeana meets 'Ansel of Bri
Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"You're just a spoiled, selfish bitch."

Celery's punishment saga continues as she finally makes her way into the Red Desert, a vaguely Middle Eastern land where the Silent Assassins live. The Silent Assassins seem to borrow very heavy from George R. R. Martin's Faceless Men, and it's almost funny how closely this story arc mirrors Arya's training under Jaqen H'ghar. But this is not the first thing in this series I've seen that really remi
P
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
“Words could be just as deadly as steel.”

The Assassin and the Desert sounded like a great story with a big twist at first, and then the pace was slow down that I almost lost my interest. Celaena Sardothien comes to the desert and must receive the approval letter before she is back to Arobynn. She meets a girl named Ansel and these two become friends very quick among the fact that Celaene herself is very cautious and doesn't trust anyone easily.

All in all, the ending leads to the new advent
Pearl Angeli
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Out of all the novellas of The Assassin’s Blade that I’ve read so far, this third novella is the best one. It’s action-packed and full of bad-assery! Celaena never fails to really impress me with the way she deals with her situations. After being punished by her master Arrobyn, she was instructed to travel to the Deserted Lands to train with the master of the Silent Assassins. There, she met people who became her friends, including the girl assassin Ansel who had a very painful and cruel childho ...more
Deborah Obida
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: TOG fans
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
“If you can learn to endure pain, you can survive anything."

For a short story this book blew my mind, I did not see that ending coming, damn! TOG is one of my favourite series and its gets better with each book, same thing with the novellas. The writing and world building is impeccable, the plot is amazing and the characters are cool and not one dimensional.

I really wished I read this before the series because it could have really helped me understand lots of stuffs that Celaena talked abou
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"The Lord of the North".
"Why does he get a fancy title?"
"Because the stag remains constant—no matter the season, he's always there".
"Why?"
"So the people of Terrasen will always know how to find their way home. So they can look up at the sky, no matter where they are, and know Terrasen is forever with them".

¡Este es uno de los mejores relatos del libro! La intriga, los viajes, los acertijos, el entrenamiento, las traiciones... The Assassin and the Desert lo tiene todo. Aquí, Celaena va a tene
Wren (fablesandwren)
WrensReads Review:

Finally I am getting around to reading the adventures of my dear Celaena Sardothien. LOWKEY, I kind of love the assassin more than the queen, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the queen.

I wanted to read it before I read Empire of Storms BUT I kind of got distracted with other books that were coming out around the same time. I am not a huge fan of novellas, but I do know that some of the characters introduced in the last book were first introduced in some of these novella
alana ♡
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Celaena realizing that Sam was screaming "I'll kill you" to Arobynn while he beat her slayed me. Too many feels because I know eventually where this leads to and I'm not ready.
Kaya
May 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wonder what exactly was I supposed to learn about Celaena from this unnecessary novella when it only made me feel even less fond of her. Overall, nothing even slightly important happens, not for the series, and definitely not for our "beloved" protagonist. She shows off her complex of a higher value anywhere she goes, which is not particularly likable.

Celaena is being sent to the desert to train with The Silent Assassins in order to be taught about obedience and discipline. She hopes she'll be
Nikita
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella
OH MY FREAKIN GOOOOOOOOOD!!!! Celaena Sardothien, you just kicked Katniss Everdeen from her throne as my favorite kickass YA protagonist! This novella is just - AWESOME!!! And geez, its just a novella! What more with the book! I don't think I'll love Celaena more than I already do! But helll, I REALLY miss Sam here. I wish to see more of him with the succeeding novellas! I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!!! Oh God, let it be May 1 when I wake up tomorrow so that I can read the 3rd novella! (kiddin') hihi. ...more
Μaria Vrisanaki
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Celaena!❤
Ky  Baeza

Oh, my goddess! How does Sarah do it, one after one?

I mean, these novellas are amazing!

I can't stop repeating that Sarah J. Maas always surprise me. I mean, honestly, When I read a book, I tend to understand the plot and it's not a surprise the plot twist because I see it coming. But with SJM's books, I'm always surprised and I think that's why I enjoy so much her books.

I really like Celaena. She's so complex and I really admire how Sarah keeps giving us a lot of complex characters.

I finally ha
#1.) Throne of Glass ★★★
#2.) Crown of Midnight ★★★★
#3.) Heir of Fire ★★
#4.) Queen of Shadows ★★

This novella follows Celaena on her punishment mission with the Silent Assassins. I really liked this story, and it actually is pretty thought provoking on the subject of abuse. Even though we are watching Cel
_racheljane_
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the characters in this novella. It was refreshing to have a fresh set of characters to learn about. I loved Ansel and the dynamic she plays with Celaena. It’s interesting to see the difference in the two assassins’ and learn about how Ansel grew up. I also loved the Mute Master. He is kinder than Arrobyn Hamel and treats his assassins better than Arrobyn ever would. I liked that the Silent Assassins were more of a brotherhood and worked together.

The change of setting was refresh
Sabrina
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Get it here:
Amazon US * Amazon UK

Celaena is definitely growing on me. So far this is my favorite of her novella's so I'm excited to see what comes next.
sam {inkquisitivereader}⚔
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella-read
These novellas just keep on getting better and better and I'm so glad I continued reading them...4.5⭐ for this one.

Assassin and the pirate lord: ⭐⭐⭐
Assassin and the healer: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Assassin and the desert: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Hayley
Feb 05, 2019 added it
It’s funny how right it feels to be with these characters again, I might not feel as enchanted as I was the first time I read this, but this reread truly feels like returning to a home that was extremely overdue a visit.

The friendship shown between Celaena and Ansel warmed the cold cockles of my heart and the rivalry formed between the two mixed with the imprint they both left on each other’s hearts was bittersweet to say the least.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
"The Lord of the North".
"Why does he get a fancy title?"
"Because the stag remains constant—no matter the season, he's always there".
"Why?"

This one was one of my favorite Novellas! Celaena ventures to the Red Dessert as punishment to train with the Silent Assassins. I adored the Mute Master and even though we dont really see
Angela
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle, 2016-read, ya
This is my favorite so far of the novellas that I've read.

But - and maybe this is just me - I feel a little set adrift in these prequels. I mean I know, logically, that they're leading to something, but I can't really see what exactly. And that's probably purposefully. Additionally, because of the assassin angle, I find myself not trusting anyone. It makes it a bit hard to form attachments to characters - other than Calaena that is. The side effect of that is that I'm forming a closer attachmen
Natalia
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This novellas are so much fun. Unfortunately this was probably my least favorite. It was long, but there were some parts which I found a bit boring. I liked that we got to see a bit from what happened after the first one. I really liked the end, he made a sweet gesture and that would really help her. Here Celaena was a bit different, in the previous ones she was a lot more confident and sarcastic.
Carolina Carriço
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I really can't understand how people can endure such things. I'd die under one of these trainings. Just reading about them makes me tired. But oh well. I really enjoyed this story and again I can see The Silent Assassins and/or Ansel showing up in the future. And I finally saw where the Spidersilk came from and how Celaena knew how to kill a Ironteeth.
Leah Bosward
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people about to read empire of storms
Great origin story of how Aelin met Ansel. Recommend it for anyone about to read Empire of Storms!

I really love the southern twang that Ansel has in the audiobook :D
Suzanne
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love these novellas!
Susan
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In The Assassin and the Pirate Lord, we got to see the young, headstrong Celaena take on a entire port of pirates to defend what she believed in. It was swashbuckling adventure followed by edge-of-the-seat thrills, all wrapped up in clever dialogue and typical Celaena finesse.

And now, in The Assassin and the Desert, we get to enter into a new type of story. This novella has more mystery, more friendships (and enmities), and more character growth. But don't worry--there's still a whole lot of epi
Jasmine
Actual rating: 4.5/5 silent stars
This is by far my most favorite one among all the 5 novellas! I love Celaena's journey to Red Desert, even if she was there for punishment. Those Silent Assassins were totally unprecedented newbies to me and their vow of silence was impressive. As for her training with The Master of the Silent Assassins, it was another incredible and surprisingly new technique. Lastly, I really love the ending of this story. She once again proved her qualification and her ski
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot express how much I love the cruel, beautiful world Sarah Maas created. This story was full of so much beauty and pain, hope and regret, peacefulness and rage, I was basically glued to the pages and couldn't stop reading.
I'm eager and scared at the same time to continue reading these novellas. It'll mean more Celaena and Sam, but at the same time I know everything is going downhill from now on.
Queen Maas' Assas...: TOG Novellas ~ The Assassin and the Desert 10 155 Dec 01, 2016 08:12PM

• The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Lost Sisters (The Folk of the Air, #1.5)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Tailor (Grishaverse, #1.5)
  • Queen Song (Red Queen, #0.1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Steel Scars (Red Queen, #0.2)
  • The Demon in the Wood (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Little Knife (Grishaverse, #2.6)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (Grishaverse, #2.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grishaverse, #0.5)
  • O Mundo Perdido (Fantasmas do Mercado das Sombras, #9)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9)
  • The Voicemail of Magnus Bane (The Bane Chronicles, #11)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too

Throne of Glass (7 books)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
  • Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)
  • Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)