Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > ROUND II: Team Achilles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 510 (510 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
Team Achilles

Gannicus

Sonia Captain
Reva
Camilla
Angel
DeeDee

Crixus

Vicky Captain
Apoorv Moghe Co-Captain
Kate S
Sara
Dragana

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Spreadsheets
Master Spreadsheet

Gannicus Spreadsheet

Crixus Spreadsheet

- Once all columns of a goal have been filled out a new goal will appear within 5 minutes.

- Do not change existing pages. You may add a new page to your spreadsheet if you want to track additional information.

- Mark books as used in your books list once they are used for a goal.

- Only books read during the current round may be applied towards goals, once the round has ended those books may no longer be used for a goal.

- Once you merge teams, you may use your books for your partner teams goals. List them in your books list and on their goals sheet. Mark them as used.

- If you end up with more than 3 open goals, contact a moderator for help.

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1092 comments Uff ! Again.. that picture !
I know why I am loving this challenge more and more. ^_^

message 6: by Apoorv (last edited Aug 20, 2015 07:00PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1092 comments So, here is what we have to complete !
Do drop in, every one, if you have any books specifically decided for any of the specific tasks.

Team Gannicus

- Read a book that has a number in the title with a series number one higher than that number [Sonia]
- Read a book with a book on the cover [Vicky]
- Read a book with a pink cover

Team Crixus

- Read a book with a dinosaur
- Read a book with a penguin
- Read a book with the main genre (listed on the first page on GR) as Spiritual

Updated as of 20Aug2015, 09:30 PM EST, USA

message 7: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1854 comments Hello new combined team!

I will be reading Tales of the Alhmbra by Washinton Irving this week, but I probably won't get to it until Wednesday.

On page 379 of the book I am currently reading: "Shiro must have had a gut feeling that Tsukuru, even put in that awful position..." Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. I will have this book finished in an hour or so.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Apoorv wrote: "Uff ! Again.. that picture !
I know why I am loving this challenge more and more. ^_^"

Lol. You can thank Sonia for that. She made me give her Achilles :P

message 9: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1092 comments Kelly wrote: "Apoorv wrote: "Uff ! Again.. that picture !
I know why I am loving this challenge more and more. ^_^"

Lol. You can thank Sonia for that. She made me give her Achilles :P"

Sonia, if it was in my hand.. I would have given you 10 extra points just for that recommendation. ;)

message 10: by Apoorv (last edited Aug 15, 2015 09:27PM) (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1092 comments Kate S wrote: "Hello new combined team!

I will be reading Tales of the Alhmbra by Washinton Irving this week, but I probably won't get to it until Wednesday.

On page 379 of the..."

WTG, Kate !
You are killing it. That 'gut feeling' goal had me kinda thinking for a minute. :)
I found 'pulled the guts out', 'knocked in the gut'.. even 'feeling in his stomach', but had no gut feelings at all. :P

message 11: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1854 comments Well, it sounds like you found a bunch of stomach references in our books, Apoorv. Funny how often that part of the anatomy comes up in books.

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1854 comments FINISHED

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

pages: 386

goal: "gut feeling" On page 379: "Shiro must have had a gut feeling that Tsukuru, even put in that awful position..."

message 13: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1879 comments Hi fellow Achillites! Found my way here, nobody else from former Gannicus seems to be awake yet.

I know Sonia is working on the "Read a book that has a number in the title with a series number one higher than that number" goal, she started it before the merge but didn't finish it yet. I'm currently reading Pakko-oireet ja OCD with a publication date of Jan 01, 2014, and I'll finish it today, so I can take care of that goal, if that's okay?

message 14: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1092 comments Sounds good, Camilla.
Great that you have it covered.. but just in case if someone finishes a book that works for the same goal earlier (I dont know if anyone has any book pertaining to that), would you be okay in using that book instead and we can use yours for another one ?

Just want to make sure we lock in as many goals as possible.
But hey, we can also save spots if need be. :)

On another note, since Kate finished a goal, we have a new goal now.
Read a book with a road on the cover.

Anyone has anything leading to this road ? ;)

message 15: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Hello everyone. :)

And Sonia, thank you for that picture. Now I will have images of Brad Pitt in a skirt everyone I see it. I remember my friend and I went to see that movie in cinema and sighed the whole time. :)

I'm reading Star of the Morning which does not fit our current goals. I'll see which are available when I finish it.

message 16: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1879 comments Apoorv wrote: "Sounds good, Camilla.
Great that you have it covered.. but just in case if someone finishes a book that works for the same goal earlier (I dont know if anyone has any book pertaining to that), wou..."

Of course I'm alright with that, that's the way we worked in Gannicus as well. I just mentioned it because you asked whether anybody had any books for the tasks.

message 17: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Hello !!! Good Morning everyone !!!
So excited to start this new round with you :D

message 18: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 1273 comments Good morning everyone!
*grateful for waking up with such an eye-candy on this cloudy Sunday morning*

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 1273 comments Since I need it for RPG I'll be reading The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella ( #18 in the Amazon 2010 bestsellers ).

message 20: by Reva (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments Finished:

Stardancer by Ariel MacArran Stardancer by Ariel MacArran 376 pages Read: 16/ 8 /2015 (Oct. 13, 2013) Char: Aidar & Kinara, Romance, Science Fiction, Moon & sword on cover, set in space,

message 21: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1879 comments Finished Pakko-oireet ja OCD by Sami Leppämäki 225 pages, publication date in GR Jan 01, 2014.

message 22: by Reva (last edited Aug 16, 2015 03:08AM) (new)

#2. The Seer by Ariel MacArran The Seer by Ariel MacArran 392 pages Read: 16/ 8 /2015 (Feb. 19, 2014) Char: Jolar & Arissa, Romance, Science Fiction, set in space

message 23: by Claire (new)

message 24: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Hello team! I was up late making sure we got Achilles, as said.

I'm reading Zero at the Bone for the Read a book that has a number in the title with a series number one higher than that number

I'll have a quick lunch and be back here in no time

message 25: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Sonia wrote: "Hello team! I was up late making sure we got Achilles, as said.

I'm reading Zero at the Bone for the Read a book that has a number in the title with a series number one higher than ..."

How do you like D? :)

message 26: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2025 comments Hello new partner team! :D Sorry I didn't get to check in last night, my parent's were having a small gathering and it went much later than I expected.

I was thinking last night about this double thread thing, and I feel like it would be easier if we kept our finished posts to our original Gannicus & Crixus threads and move goal discussion here. Chatter could take place in both as it comes up. It's not as big of an issue for this round, but the paired up team threads are going to get hectic when we have 4 and the 8 teams in a thread and I'm worried about missing someones read book while trying to navigate through read books from other threads. Thoughts?

I'm currently reading The Book of Speculation, listening to Wild Rover No More: Being the Last Recorded Account of the Life & Times of Jacky Faber, and slowly plodding through Grey. My on deck books are the Raven's Shadow trilogy: Blood Song, Tower Lord, Queen of Fire.

message 27: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Hi, Vicky is right. Keeping book read counts here would be hectic.

And, what we decided yesterday was that book goal is registered on the team spreadsheet that has the goal, and read book will be register on original member spreadsheet - easier on the mods to check.

Meaning, we'll need permissions to edit spreadsheets. On my way to check them - need the other account for that :D

message 28: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments OKay, Vicky and , you can now edit Gannicus.

Happy readings

message 29: by Reva (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments Personally, I like the combined thread. It's a place to chat with the new team members and I think the old threads should be locked. I have enough challenges as is, so flipping back to the old thread could be confusing.

message 30: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Reva wrote: "Personally, I like the combined thread. It's a place to chat with the new team members and I think the old threads should be locked. I have enough challenges as is, so flipping back to the old thre..."

I agree with reva here. It gets confusing when we have to check multiple threads.

message 31: by Reva (new)

#3. The Consort by Ariel MacArran The Consort by Ariel MacArran 360 pages Read: 16/ 8 /2015 (May 24, 2014) Char: Kayden & Alari, Romance, Science Fiction, set in space,sword & moon on cover,

message 32: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 1273 comments Honestly I think that keeping completion posts in our original teams separated threads would simplify our captains and co-captains work, especially in the long run. Also, we can always continue to chat here and in the meanwhile be updated about each other goals in case we can be of help. That's my personal opinion :)

message 33: by Deedee (last edited Aug 16, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Deedee | 574 comments Good morning all!

Currently reading:
Half a King (Shattered Sea #1) (2014) (YA) by Joe Abercrombie

and

Fits: Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with I
The Disappearance at Pere-Lachaise (Victor Legris #2) (2003) by Claude Izner

:O)

message 34: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 1879 comments I agree with liking one combined thread more, I would have thought it would be easiest to keep track of completed goals that way. But I'm not the one doing the updating, so I can live with either option.

Vicky: have you noticed that one of the Crixus goals has been reported as read here (msg #21) but a new goal is not yet showing on your spreadsheet?

message 35: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Camilla wrote: "I agree with liking one combined thread more, I would have thought it would be easiest to keep track of completed goals that way. But I'm not the one doing the updating, so I can live with either o..."

We were discussing the publishing dates. She was waiting for the mods to rule in.

message 36: by Vicky (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:11AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2025 comments Between both our teams we're at 8 books a day, which isn't overwhelming, but by the time we get to Round 4 and all 8 teams are using the same thread we're looking at 34 books a day. I don't want to miss a book that needs to be added to my spreadsheet because it gets lost in other books. So I just figured it would be easier to treat our old threads as reporting threads and discuss goals here.

But, if people are really against that and would rather just stick to one thread, I'd like to request a compromise in that we all start our finished book posts with our original team name in bold, so the captains can see quickly which books need to go on which spreadsheet. It won't be such a problem for this round because I know who was on Crixus and everyone else is obviously from Gannicus, but for future rounds I'm sure I won't be able to remember which team everyone belongs to. ;)

Camilla: Like Sonia said, we were waiting for a mod to rule in. It will be updated shortly. :)

message 37: by Claire (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:22AM) (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Yes I see how complicated it can get. I'm ok with whatever you decide. I'm sure I can adapt.

message 38: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2025 comments New Goal: Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with X

Yikes.

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Vicky wrote: "New Goal: Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with X

Yikes."

I can read Bastien by Tianna Xander

message 40: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10381 comments Well, Angel loved to read for goals,,, now she has 6 to choose from :D

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Sonia wrote: "Well, Angel loved to read for goals,,, now she has 6 to choose from :D"

;)

message 42: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2025 comments Sounds perfect to me! :D

message 43: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2025 comments Another new goal: Read a book where a character is an investigator.

I looked over the descriptions for our books that have been read and not used for goals, but nothing stood out.

message 44: by Sara Ⓥ (new)

Sara Ⓥ | 1273 comments Vicky wrote: "Another new goal: Read a book where a character is an investigator.

I looked over the descriptions for our books that have been read and not used for goals, but nothing stood out."

I have The Mangle Street Murders by M.R.C. Kasasian in my TBR. Going to start it tonight.

message 45: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) I have one suggestion regarding goals, since I too lazy to open team threads and check which are available, could captain (when they post new goal) also post the list of all goals. Something like Apoorv did:

Team Gannicus
- Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with I [Deedee]
- Read a book that has a number in the title with a series number one higher than that number
- Read a book written by an author who was born in South America

Team Crixus
- Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with X [Angel]
- Read a book with a road on the cover
- Read a book where a character is an investigator

Where new goal is in bold...

Maybe we could also keep notes if someone said they are reading book for said goal...
I think it would be really helpful.

message 46: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Dragana wrote: "I have one suggestion regarding goals, since I too lazy to open team threads and check which are available, could captain (when they post new goal) also post the list of all goals. Something like A..."

Great idea!

message 47: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2025 comments Sara wrote: "I have The Mangle Street Murders by M.R.C. Kasasian in my TBR. Going to start it tonight."

Perfect! :)

Dragana wrote: "I have one suggestion regarding goals, since I too lazy to open team threads and check which are available, could captain (when they post new goal) also post the list of all goals. Something like A..."

I don't see why not! :) I'm not sure if Apoorv was planning on updating the top post, but I think it makes sense for whatever co/captain adds the goal to just copy & paste the last list with the appropriate updates, so we don't always have to wait for Apoorv.

And that said, I will update your list with some other people who are reading books for goals. ;)

Team Gannicus
- Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with I [Deedee]
- Read a book that has a number in the title with a series number one higher than that number [Sonia]
- Read a book written by an author who was born in South America

Team Crixus
- Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with X [Angel]
- Read a book with a road on the cover
- Read a book where a character is an investigator [Sara]

message 48: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Thank you Vicky! I was not even sure if my list is correct, it can get confusing.
This way we only have to check from last goal list update if some other goal is 'claimed'. :)

message 49: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 3624 comments Angel ~ ✿ Claire ✿ wrote: "Vicky wrote: "New Goal: Read a book whose author (first or last) starts with X

Yikes."

I can read Bastien by Tianna Xander"

Finished :D

message 50: by Reva (new)

Reva (revans) | 2481 comments In The Seer by Ariel MacArran The Seer the main character is sent to investigate bribery in the crystal mining business. Read today

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11