Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13)
This topic is about Ghost Story
Archived: Series Reads > Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13), by Jim Butcher; Start Date: March 3, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 185 (185 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Mar 12, 2014 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments
Ghost Story, by Jim Butcher

The eagerly awaited new novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling Dresden Files series.

Synopsis put under spoiler...
(view spoiler)

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

In January we are continuing on with The Dresden Files. Please join us, or just stop in and say, "Hi!" or tell us which cover you prefer. But...

Expect Spoilers!

Participants
ShoSho
Lisa Kay
Gisela
Lauren

Chapter Breakdown
Date 		Chapters 	PPDQs*
March 1 01-10 Lauren
March 2 11-20 ShoSho
March 3 21-31 ShoSho
March 4 32-43 Lisa Kay
March 5 44-51 Lisa Kay

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yaay I'm in ,I can't believe that we only have 5 books to go and we'll finish by May!

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I know! Amazing.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments 1st of March?

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Sounds good to me, S.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I have a sewing class that night, but I should be good.

message 8: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I'm ready for this!

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I keep forgetting to download to my iPod! I'll do it this weekend

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "I keep forgetting to download to my iPod! I'll do it this weekend"

Oh! I'd better double-check to see if I put it on mine, too. I got the CDs from the library and copies them already... I just need to make sure they're on my iPod/Touch.

Thanks for the reminder.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Drat! Apple wants to update the software. I hope I remember to check this.

Lauren (laurenjberman) Downloaded from Audible! I'm ready to rumble!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Eep! I just checked; I don't have this copied. I think I got confused because the cover to White Night are so similar.

Anyway, the library has it and I put it on reserve. I try and go get it today.

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Eep! I just checked; I don't have this copied. I think I got confused because the cover to White Night are so similar.

Anyway, the library has it and I put it on reserve. I try a..."

Awww, do I need to be nervous?

message 15: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments You could read the sinopsis, I don't think it's too spoilery, most of it you already know or suspect.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ShoSho wrote: "Awww, do I need to be nervous?"

Nope. I have it in paperback and eBook. I just want the audio.

message 17: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2014 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I woke up too early today, 4am. Used it to the max. Copied ghost story to my iPod!

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Gisela wrote: "You could read the sinopsis, I don't think it's too spoilery, most of it you already know or suspect."

I'm not reading nothing.

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2014 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments
I'm taking quilting classes and I just had to share with you all that there is a "Dresden" pattern. LOL! Pretty, huh?

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Feb 27, 2014 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments That's interesting !I just searched the internet for more , they are pretty!

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I picked up a quilting book at the library today, and it had something called the "Dresden Decorative" or "Dresden Deluxe" ...but do you think I can find that book? Nope. I was interrupted by the neighbor across the street and Lord knows where I put the thing. LOL!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ...It was too big to fit in my red (thank goodness) Friends of the Library bookbag.

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ah! Pinterest has a Dresden Plate Quilt board. Gorgeous.

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I picked up a quilting book at the library today, and it had something called the "Dresden Decorative" or "Dresden Deluxe" ...but do you think I can find that book? Nope. I was interrupted by the..."

Did you lose the library book?

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 28, 2014 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I don't know! A comedy of errors ensued when I went to look for it. LOL!

I went out to the car to see if I left it there. Then I saw the inside light was on. NOT a good thing, as something like that drains my battery.

So, I ran over to find the battery charger and, when I opened the door to the cabinet, an old aerosol bottle of glass wax cleaner fell to the ground, trigger the sprayer and I got a face full of glass wax when I looked down to see what fell. LOL! Thank goodness I had my glasses on.

Then I was trying to hook up my electrical extension cord to use with the battery charger and the reach was too far (I have dinosaur arms since my rotator cuff surgeries). I dropped the cord and it fell in the straw of a broom; when I tugged on it, the broom came up and almost hit me in the face; I grabbed it in time.

Needing to run around to the other side of the car, I had to open the garage door to get around it, and I'm only in a long tee-shirt, barefooted (and it's raining). But, I figure it was night and no one would see me. I ran around the car and I'm just barely in range to trigger the security light. Of course, a neighbor who is NEVER home yells out, "Hi!" as they take out the trash. At least I think it is them... my glass are smeared with glass wax. Plus, I can't wave, because this will raise my tee-shirt, so I call back, "Hello!" - hoping no one will hear and look out their windows. Or that I'm not greeting them, when they're actually talking to someone else (which I think was the case).

Needless to say, after hooking up the battery (which is under the back seat), I gave up the hunt for the book.

message 26: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Sorry but I'm laughing so hard! You could have made a movie out of it :D

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I know! Insanity. At least I didn't drop anything on my toe.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments If I have lost this library book, it will be the fastest I've ever lost one... on the first day! LOL!

Lauren (laurenjberman) Lisa Kay wrote: "Ah! Pinterest has a Dresden Plate Quilt board. Gorgeous."

There is also Dresden China:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/20519532...

Lauren (laurenjberman) OMG, Lisa Kay!
I think you need to stop running around before you really hurt yourself!

message 31: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Do you know if the word Dresden has a meaning or not? What is its root?

Lauren (laurenjberman) ShoSho wrote: "Do you know if the word Dresden has a meaning or not? What is its root?"

Dresden china gets its name from the factory, which is in Dresden, Germany.

Not sure about the quilt pattern.

message 33: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Dresden is a city in Germany, famous for its beautiful porcelain. It was the capitol of the kingdom of Saxony.
While the city has a long and storied history, many who hear the name "Dresden" think immediately of the massive WWII firebombing that destroyed the city and killed thousands of civilians.

message 34: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I was thinking JM doesn't do anything without a reason in the books. I'm sure there is a reason behind choosing this last name for Harry!

message 35: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Both the quilts and china are beautiful!

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Lauren wrote: "I think you need to stop running around before you really hurt yourself!"

I know! LOL!

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Lauren wrote: "Not sure about the quilt pattern."

Not sure, either. The book and the Internet both say it originated around 1785, but became popular in the 1920's and 1930's.

The term I was trying to think of is "Fancy Dresden," which has incorporates both pointy and rounded strips:

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm going to start now,I have a few boring things to do,they need an audiobook to make them bearable!
It won't be more than an hour though and I'll be good won't listen again until Monday! Well not very good cause I'm going to a Hen's party and who knows what they have planned!

message 39: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I can't believe it, I hadn't noticed before it's NOT narrated by James marsters! It said read by John Glover

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Whyyyyyy?????

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Marsters wasn't available.

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments There was a big stink over it.

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I keep getting distracted by the new voice. 38 minutes in but I really need to re-listen

message 44: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments If you don't mind my asking, what's a Hen's party?

message 45: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments It's the equivalent of bachelor party for the bride but that's what we call it here in Australia.
I know at some point they were thinking of having male strippers and a nude painting class with the said strippers but the bride (my sister in law) said NO!

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm starting... Do we have a chapter breakdown (I'm really bad at calculating that kind of thing). I can do the first set if questions unless ShoSho wants to - I know they're your favorite ;0)

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I can do it but not until Monday. So you can do it if you want

Lauren (laurenjberman) Okie dokie.
I have a lot of time to listen over the weekend. Not so much during the week because the new semester starts Monday.

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2014 08:25PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Can anyone do the chapter breakdown?

4 or 5 days?
5 days
1-10
11-20
21-31
32-43
44-51

4 days
1-13
14-26
27-41
42-51

message 50: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments BTW I'll do the second set!

« previous 1 3 4