Start by marking “Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13)

Ghost Story

(The Dresden Files #13)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  91,154 ratings  ·  4,739 reviews
When we last left the mighty wizard detective Harry Dresden, he wasn't doing well. In fact, he had been murdered by an unknown assassin.

But being dead doesn't stop him when his friends are in danger. Except now he has no body, and no magic to help him. And there are also several dark spirits roaming the Chicago shadows who owe Harry some payback of their own.

To save his fr
Published July 26th 2011 by Roc Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Story, please sign up.
Janet Ridge Oddly enough, I began the series with this very book (found in isolation on a library shelf), then looped back to fill in the background of Harry Dres…moreOddly enough, I began the series with this very book (found in isolation on a library shelf), then looped back to fill in the background of Harry Dresden's life. I can assure you that it's perfectly easy to follow along, and all the important connections are explained thoroughly without any boring expository drag. Here's the advantage to coming at the series this way: Butcher's writing gets MUCH better as it goes along, and the stories get more exciting as Dresden builds up power and allies. I am a huge fan, but I can still barely choke down Fool Moon. (less)
Tserp910 First of all, the Dresden books are meant to be stand alone, with an over arching story. In my opinion you lose enjoyment if you skip books and I woul…moreFirst of all, the Dresden books are meant to be stand alone, with an over arching story. In my opinion you lose enjoyment if you skip books and I wouldn't recommend picking up some of the later books without reading most (if not all) of the early ones, but Jim Butcher want everyone to be able to pick up any book and understand the story perfectly.

Other than that, remember that those books are published 1 year apart (with the exception of Peace Talks that took 5 years). If you read them as they are published and not binge read them, reminding the reader about the essentials of the magic system and the characters briefly is not a bad thing. Some people forget things easily.(less)

·  91,154 ratings  ·  4,739 reviews

Start your review of Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13)
Petrik
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRjh...

Ghost Story feels like a volume to reboot the series before it enter a new story arc, or the next season, in the life of Harry Dresden.

“It was never too late to learn something. The past is unalterable in any event. The future is the only thing we can change. Learning the lessons of the past is the only way to shape the present and the future.”

It is not an easy task to write a follow-up to Chang
Dan
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Six months after his death, Harry Dresden returns to Chicago to solve his own murder. Can he keep his friends safe in the process?

I've got a lot to say about this. I'll cover the good points first.

The Good: Having a ghost come back to solve his own murder isn't a new idea but Butcher did a fairly good job with it here. The supporting cast, Molly in particular, developed quite a bit in Harry's absence. The new character of Fitz has potential, as does Mortimer, who I don't particularly remember. T
Patrick
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So. Good.
Regina
I love Harry. I love Bob. I love Molly. I love the new and improved Butters. I loved seeing Daniel Carpenter. I love this series. It just is such a comfort read for me. I had forgotten how much I love this series until I started to read this book. The mystery and quest were interesting and unlike much urban fantasy, it was unique – nothing I have read before. Maybe a little of Harry Potter, but I am okay with that. One of the things that is so fantastic about this series is that there are conseq ...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Freaking bananas amazing.

Utterly brilliant, perfectly done, with a flawless audiobook narration, the best I've ever heard from James Marsters.

One of the reasons that this book was narrated so flawlessly, I think, is that it was very recently re-done by Marsters after fans revolted when originally another narrator read this story. Marsters brought his A-game, and listening to this book was better than watching any movie. Marsters did an incredible range of voices, read with perfect inflections,
Luffy
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dresden
This was a very uneven book, with lots of filler material. Harry lives to fight again. It's as if he never left. It's as if we're back to square one. Shoot, Jim Butcher has officially exhausted any permutations of wisdom that used to guarantee 5 stars from me. This book... such a bland book with a sugary end tacked on. One piece of advice to demanding readers; you'll enjoy the rest of this series only if you lower your expectations as much as you can. ...more
Lyn
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though writing is a singular task, with an author slaving away (bleeding if we listen to Hemingway) in front of a keyboard, it is also very much a collaboration – besides assistants, the writer may likely gain insight and critical input from editors, publishers, agents, fans, friends, and family. Besides his or her own personal muse there is also the influence of peers, critics and the audience. There is also the nebulous and sundry inspirations from literature, art and pop culture.

Somewher
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay...so I'm a Dresden junkie. I got the book yesterday and finished it (this time LOL) at 1:30 this morning.

The book picks up pretty much as the last book ends and.....****************** NOTE: THIS REVIEW WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THE LAST BOOK, CHANGES. I WILL BE ASSUMING THAT IF YOU ARE READING GHOST STORY YOU HAVE READ CHANGES...........

Okay, as I was saying, the book picks up pretty much as the last book (Changes) ends, though time doesn't run in death as it does here.

Don't ask me, I don't
Heidi The Reader
Harry Dresden, wizard for hire, is dead. And he still has to save the world by discovering his killer. How is that fair?

Maybe I was dead, but I was sure as hell not ready to go. I had to make sure the people who'd helped me take on the Red King were taken care of. pgs 32-33

He quickly discovers that magic and dead people don't mix. Now, instead of taking on god-like enemies with the backing of the Winter Queen, he can't even pass through thresholds without permission.

It's frustrating for both Har
Faith Hunter
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If I wasn't married, I'd take this character home to meet mama and her sister.
Course, they might scare him off...
Alex Nieves
Jul 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is it too much to say I loved this? Because I loved this book. I'm not going to spoil anything here but as different of a Dresden book as that was, it was every bit as engaging and awesome as any other since Dead Beat. This book kicked ass and gave me so much to think about post-Changes. It was a much needed breath after that insane book and while this is a little bit more of an intimate plot, it was great. ...more
Carolyn
Holey Moley! At the end of Changes when wizard Harry Dresden is shot, I thought No, Harry can't be dead - surely Jim Butcher will find some clever way to bring him back to life. But I was very wrong, Harry is dead and in this book his ghost is sent back to Chicago to prevent the death of three of his closest friends and to find out who killed him.

The Chicago Harry is sent back to is a very different one to the one he left six months before. The vacuum he created by destroying the Red Court of va
Sarah  Aubert
Jan 20, 2022 rated it really liked it
I can understand why Ghost Story may not have been the book that fans wanted immediately after the sucker-punch that was Changes, but I firmly believe that this is what was needed - for the fans, for the story, and for Harry. This is undoubtedly Butcher's most introspective book and with a character as fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants as Harry Dresden, the scenario we're given in Ghost Story was really the only way to force the kind of decompression needed after the emotional fallout of the last in ...more
Steven
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I read this the first time in 2014, it was one of my least favorite of the series.
When I read this the second time in 2020, my opinion didn't change... still not one of my favorites.
Gene
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I can only give 2.5 stars plus 0.5 out of my respect for the series. Harry was sent back to the world of mortals as a ghost to investigate his own murder. When he came back, Chicago changed a lot - and not for the good. Yet another new enemies appeared, worse than the old ones - as usual. Oh yeah, we never actually see them. Harry's friends changed, too.

There are several problems with the book.

Harry is first and foremost an action hero constantly on his guilt trip, but when this trip happens to
Jody
Feb 17, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another solid Dresden book! I am so invested in this series by now that I am going into withdrawals when it ends.

I have noticed in the last two novels that Butcher is starting to mix up the plot nicely. I think it is just what the storyline needed. There is always a certain pace and flow you expect, and that has begun to evolve.

"I've said before that only the dead feel no pain, but I'd never spoken from experience before. Pain used as a weapon is one thing. Personal pain, the kind that
carol.
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Ghost Story and found it to be a decent progression in the series. Butcher continues to improve and Dresden continues to evolve. The idea of being a ghost was genius; it's interesting to see Dresden powerless, and forced to use other skills. It switches up the dynamic of the normal conflict in the series. I especially appreciated Harry taking responsibility for his decisions to involve Molly in his fanatical fight against the Red Court. Still too many red herrings, but it's a relief to ...more
Nicole
Dylan
Jan 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
“Pain isn’t a lot of fun, at least not for most folks, but it is utterly unique to life. Pain — physical, emotional, and otherwise — is the shadow cast by everything you want out of life, the alternative to the result you were hoping for, and the inevitable creator of strength. From the pain of our failures we learn to be better, stronger, greater than what we were before. Pain is there to tell us when we’ve done something badly—it’s a teacher, a guide, one that is always there to both warn us
Mr. Matt
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-urban, 2013
I struggled to rate this book, finally deciding on 3 out of 5 stars.

I gave it three stars mainly because Ghost Story does what the other books do well. I like reading about Harry's world and the characters in it. Jim Butcher has really brought them to life in a plausible, believable world. Moreover, the action is good, and there is always a unique twist. I also liked the way Mort's character developed into a really sympathetic good guy. I also liked Molly's changes.

Unfortunately, I think my en
seak
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey, I have a new booktube (youtube for book reviews) channel and mentioned the Dresden Files in my Top 10 Spooky Reads Not Stephen King here. I hope you enjoy! Please subscribe if you do, thanks!

As usual, these later installments are really great, up the ante, and clearly show some great plotting/writing/everything you want to see in a wizard PI urban fantasy. The only exception this time is that it didn't have everything I wanted to see.

I've never been a huge fan of the trope where the protago
Tammie
***Please note that this review will contain spoilers from the last book in the series.***

To save his friends—and his own soul—Harry will have to pull off the ultimate trick without any magic...

This one was so good! Ghost Story starts right where Changes left off with Harry roaming around in a place that is between life and death, where he observes his friends and promptly becomes worried for them. The main thing I wanted from this book was to find out who shot Harry in the last one, and of
Tracey
Well, bless Audible's little heart. One spring morning I received this email:

"Dear Listener,

Here at Audible, we truly understand the power great performances bring to your favorite stories. And for long-running series, no matter how good a new voice may be, it can be hard to hear someone else bring beloved characters to life. So when Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files, Book 13, was narrated by someone other than series regular James Marsters, some listeners were disappointed.

We're happy
Audrey
This is the first Dresden book not narrated by James Marsters. I don’t mind the new guy (I think he even went out of his way to match Marsters’s character voices), but by this point James Marsters IS Harry Dresden. Farewell, dear performer.

For much of this book, it felt like it would be the last Dresden book. But now I see there are at least two more. So the last book ended with Harry in quite a pickle. Despite his “condition,” he’s given a quest.

(view spoiler)
Emma
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Harry Dresden for President! (This week anyway!) I really enjoyed this story. It was pretty interesting watching Harry in ghost form trying to save his friends without a body!
I love Dresden's character. He is prepared to throw down against an angel when he thought she was going to take one of his friends, he defends the weak and powerless, and will do anything for those he loves and for the majority of the time it is this character trait that gets him into so much trouble. He has always been a s
Fonzie
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Wow.

After the 4 plus months Butcher needed to write this I expected something epic. So I was a little fearful of finally reading the book - I mean I usually read them in one night and then have to wait a whole year for the next one.

Not this one, though. This book is a huge disappointment. I have been trying to read it for 3 days now, and couldn't get further than half of it. I keep drifting off to wash the dishes, collect laundry, read a better book even.

Gone is the wit, the sarcasm, the spark,
Jilly
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I do love Harry Dresden, don't get me wrong, but he's a ghost solving his own murder in this book? Seriously? I'm supposed to take this seriously?

really photo: tumblr_lhi9pkfb511qcfba3o1_500.gif
this guy is more believable...

I mean, I get that this book and world is fantasy, but.... It's not just that, it's also just really really lame. Like, been done - too many times - and not well - lame.

And, that's not the only problem I had with this particular book in the series. It was also incredibly boring. Harry was introspective. Introspective!!
Ranting Dragon
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, garrett

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard, has been a lot of things in his life: friend, enemy, apprentice, teacher, guardian, avenger, victim, and lover; not to mention shot, stabbed, bruised, and beaten. But dead? That’s a new one in his book.

When an unknown killer puts a bullet through Harry’s chest and leaves him to die in the cold waters of Lake Michigan, Harry thinks it’s all over. But even dead, he can’t seem to catch
David
Jun 03, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. I didn’t like this one. Slow as F. A total
Slogfest. I mean there were a couple of interesting surprises but even the narrator of the audiobook sounded bored this time around.

It felt like Butcher decided to masquerade this installment as a self help book with a tinge of religious undertones. “Harry visits the Midnight Library”. A Dickensesque review of ones life and mistakes. Blah. 😩

Look, I get that not every Dresden book is gonna reach the level of Changes and others, but I honestly expect
Tamara
Mar 29, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
It isn't an easy thing to write a good follow-up to Changes. To write a good story that doesn't brush over the enormous events that happened, that leaves room to reflect, explore, analyse, and mourn.
Yet still knows a way to deepen the mystery.
I applaud it. Great book.

• Blood Lite (Hellchaser, #0.5)
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding
  • Many Bloody Returns
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • Unbound
  • Naked City
  • Strange Brew
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
See top shelves…
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)