Start by marking “Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)

Alpha & Omega

(Alpha & Omega #0.5)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  20,419 ratings  ·  1,129 reviews
In Cry Wolf, New York Times bestselling author Patricia Briggs started a new urban fantasy series set in the world of Mercy Thompson — but with rules of its own. Now, read "Alpha and Omega," the novella that inspired the new series, and see how it all began...

Anna Latham never knew werewolves existed, until the night she survived a violent attack... and became one herself.
Published October 20th 2008 by Berkley (first published August 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Alpha & Omega, please sign up.
Angela Piccolo If you can, I think it's a good idea but absolutely not necessary. But who doesn't like to know how their characters met and fell in love?

·  20,419 ratings  ·  1,129 reviews

Start your review of Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5)
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.75 stars. This 70 page novella about a werewolf clan gone bad, and particularly its impact on one innocent woman, is a solid start to Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega urban fantasy series, which interlocks closely with her MERCY THOMPSON series. In fact, if you're going to read this series, you really should start here rather than with Cry Wolf, which picks up right where this novella breaks off.*

Anna is a seemingly submissive, sexually and physically abused werewolf in an appalling mess of a
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of werewolf stories and fantastic characters
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: A lot of my GR buddies
Reread on Audible in May 2020.

I will keep it short and sweet. I still love this book. The narrator Holter Graham does a great job with all the characters. I did find the language about Chicago being a violent place full of predators a little grating in light of our ongoing situation. Otherwise, enjoyed this immensely, and I am hoping to listen/read the following books again.

I'm still Team Adam but I do like Charles a lot. And of course The Marrok Bran Cornick. Anna is a wonderful woman. Such a s
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

Um............... I wish I had read this book before I started the Alpha and Omega series. Seriously, every edition of book 1 should have this at the beginning so we know what the fuck is going on. I got the backstory of these characters after the fact. Aside from that, this was a really great beginning short story and it shows how Anna and Charles meet. I was very interested in the romance and the mystery, and I think for a short story it packed a lot of punch.

I listened to the audio o
♥Rachel♥
Re-Read February 12, 2018-Loved it all over again! Already started my re-read of Cry Wolf!

Anna, a relatively new werewolf, is barely getting by since the Change. She didn't chose this life and the Pack with Leo as the Alpha and Justin as his second, is pretty horrible. She calls Bran, the Marrok, when she sees that a new wolf (seen in a cage at the Pack home) is thought to be responsible for deaths under investigation. She doesn't know if Leo sanctioned the kills, but wouldn't be surprised if he
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This was my first time reading a book by Patricia Briggs and I absolutely loved it! I have been wanting to read her Mercy Thompson series for ages but I came across this short story the other day and thought it would be a good opportunity to find out if I liked her writing.

Well, I have to say that Alpha & Omega was an excellent introduction to her work. Don’t let yourself be fooled by the fact that this is a novella. It is very well structured, draws you in from the very first pages and is highl
Nicole
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, urban-fantasy
This was surprisingly fun. A must read novella if you want to start this series. I already like the characters more than those in Mercy Thompson. Although the romance was too fast, I kind of understand because of the sequel and the fact that this is a short story.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 short, tiny stars.

Why hadn't I read this sooner? Oh, I know...I like Alpha heroines. That'll show me to make hasty judgements. This book was soooo good. It was beyond good. And it was just a short story. I can't wait to start with the next ones.

Anna

Charles

The book was too short for me to tell you whether I liked them or not so I'll leave it for later.

The story was nice and I won't describe it either, there is the blurb so... I will however tell you that I loved and if the next books ar
Angela
January 2018 Re-read. Buddy read with Sarah
January 2017 Re-read: Buddy read with Sarah
December 2015 re-read: Buddy read with Sarah.

I love this series. We're doing an entire (world) series re-read in preparation for Fire Touched, which comes out in March 2016. I had read a lot of the Mercy Thompson series before I'd ever gathered the courage to start the A&O series. I'm not sure why, exactly, I delayed so long, but I think I thought that there was no way it could be as good as Mercy. Turns out,
Cathy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
I started a werewolf anthology yesterday and it immediately made me want to read this again. I like this story very much, although reading this for a third time I have some issues with the initial dynamic between Anna and Charles and if I really approve of the way Briggs has written this. But it‘s a small niggle. I still like this a lot. And maybe this time around I will manage a chronological re-read of the Merceyverse.

Time-line for the "Mercyverse"

————
Wh
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

I wish I hadn't waited so long to start this series. This is one of the best novellas I've read as it accomplishes the goal of effectively introducing the characters and provides an exciting story.

Anna Latham is a seemingly submissive wolf who has suffered abuse from her pack in Chicago. After recognizing a werewolf in the news as one from her pack, she bravely contacts The Marrok (werewolf king) who dispatches his son Charles, an Alpha who serves as his enfo
Pam Nelson
5 Alpha & Omega Stars

This really cleared up a lot for me. I have heard the terms Alpha and Omega but I never really understood what and Omega was.

Breaks my heart what was done to Anna, but I think I love that she doesn't let it stop her. She is still a strong force to be reckoned with. She knows now what she doesn't want and she stands up for herself even if she is scared.

I like the whole chill vibe you get from Charles. But don’t let that fool you he is a very take charge kind of fellow. I li
1st Read July 2010 - Rating 4 * (In the On The Prowl anthology)
2nd Read August 2012
3rd Read February 2014 - Rating increased to 5 *
4th Read December 2015
5th Read January 2017
6th Read January 2018

Full Review

Anna has been at the bottom of her pack ever since she was turned into a werewolf during a brutal attack. She knows all about the horrors that can and are inflicted by alpha males and has learnt to be wary around them. She finally plucks up courage to ask for help when she sees a newspaper art
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
AO — #5 Burn Bright:

After how much I've enjoyed what I've experienced of
AH
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was about to read Cry Wolf when I was reminded that there was a prequel - Alpha and Omega. My wonderful OCD friends at Goodreads (you know who you are) keep telling me that I need to read series in order, so I did.

I loved Charles. What a perfect werewolf! Dangerous and deadly, incredibly handsome and muscular, protective and loyal. I can't wait to read more about him. Did I say I was in love?

Anna puzzled me at first. To me, she seemed meek and scared, like damaged goods. But that was only on t
Jilly
I started to read the first book in this series, and was like, "What the hell's going on?!"

i have no idea what those words mean photo: Supernatural tumblr_m61nc8aR181r5mah4_zps123bb5b6.gif
Yeah, it was important to read this prequel first.

So, we've got Anna, a werewolf, who is being treated very badly by her pack. She finds them doing something illegal and turns them in to the head honcho of werewolves. Yes, that's a thing. The main man, Bran, sends his son, Charles, to investigate her pack.

And, lo and behold, insta-love ensues!

love at first sight photo: Love At First Sight? 71417.gif
no, no I don't...

Charles is Anna's knight-in-shining-ar
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mercy Thompson fans, werewolf fans
I haven’t read anything by Patricia Briggs in a long time so it was nice to go back to her writing. I forgot how well she writes. Alpha & Omega was a very quick and easy read!

I read this novella out of the On the Prowl anthology and I thought it was a great start to a new series for Briggs! Anna is a werewolf, an Omega to be exact and under desperate circumstances she finds herself calling the Marrok behind her Alpha’s back.

In comes Charles Cornick, Bran’s son. I found myself liking Charles in
Ian
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: humans!
Shelves: b-favorites
KABLAM!!! This book totally blew me away! It's 61 Pages! How can a book 61 pages long be this good?
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Absolutely love this series just as much as Mercy!
Obsidian
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I ended up not reading all of the stories in "On the Prowl". I did back in the day, but since I wanted to read this for the "Werewolves" square for my second bingo card for Halloween Bingo 2017, I didn't feel the need to read all of the stories. From what I recall the first time, I was not that impressed with all of the stories, but ended up falling in love with the characters of Anna and Charles.

If you read the "Alpha & Omega" series, make sure you start with this one first otherwise you may b
Keertana
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Without a doubt, Alpha & Omega surprised me. For one, I wasn't expecting this prequel novella to be so integral to the plot line of this series. I actually only picked it up before Cry Wolf because I was in the mood for something shorter at first, but very quickly, I realized that Alpha & Omega is, in fact, a must-read before beginning this series. And what a beginning it is.

Alpha & Omega begins with Anna, a submissive in her Chicago pack, phoning Bran to report that she saw a local missing boy
Justine
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
This novella is essentially Chapter 1 of Cry Wolf, Book 1 of the Alpha and Omega series featuring Charles and Anna. So, if you are diving into that series, definitely read this first! ...more
Sanaa
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4 Stars] Fun start to the Alpha and Omega series! I'm excited to learn more about these characters, particularly Charles.

[08/19/2019 Re-Read - 3.5 Stars] For some reason I just want to re-read this entire series? How odd...
Jacqueline's Reads
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr
5 This should have been part of the first book Stars

I started to read Wolf Cry and I was VERY confused. I reread a few page a few times to see if I missed something. After a little researching, I realized you really need to read the prequel and so I did and wow a lot of it makes sense now.

So my advice, before you start reading Cry Wolf, you really need to read Alpha and Omega.

Anna is the total Heroine I love to read in books. She’s battered and damsel. She’s been abused and used and she submits
Lisa Kay

★★★★★ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Man-oh-man! I loved Holter Graham’s narration of this novella, the prequel to the Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs. He is so good at doing Charles Cornick’s voice; with his discipline, intelligence, protectiveness, and possessiveness all accented in an American Indian intonation. **sigh**

I’ve heard his narration for the other books in this wonderful series, but the prequel had never been recorded before. While the others are good, Mr. Graham’s re
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ Wow! This one was a big surprise. I loved it! I’ve never read this author before and I can’t believe how she conveys so much with so little words. Since this is the prequel, I was off to read the first book in the series as fast as I could go - and maybe to the ones after that!

Alpha & Omega (Alpha & Omega, #0.5) by Patricia Briggs Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1) by Patricia Briggs Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs
Choko
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
*** 3.25 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks:)

This was a very quick, I mean veeery quick read... It was fun meeting the Omega. I felt really sorry for her - that treatment, inexcusable no matter what. I am beginning to deeply despise the Chicago Pack and hope something gets done with them in the future... The Alpha is just hot! I was interested in him from the first book we read and was hoping there will be something more about him. Obviously we get it in the A&O part of the series.

I am loo
Jacob Proffitt
Six years ago, I bounced off this series and gave Cry Wolf two stars. I don't remember it and that was before I was active with writing reviews. So I've had a bad emotional reaction to the series ever since and have no idea why.

Recent friend reviews have bemoaned that this story is hard to find on its own and that you have to read this story for Cry Wolf to have the impact it should. Well there’s some new information that has bearing! So I'm taking a chance on it because I love Briggs' Mercy Th
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
🐺 Read for the great Mercy Thompson World Read/Reread 2018 with tha MacHalos 🐺

This was really good. It was vastly different in writing style than the first Mercy Thompson book but not that unpleasant. It channeled its inner Yoda quite strong though (ヅ)

Anyway really liked both Anna & Charles, they will make for one cute and interesting couple.

On to the next one!
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read: 24th July 2012

Buddy read with Maru
Ezinwanyi Chinyere
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing intro to Charles and Anna

An amazing intro to Charles and Anna relationship, the Marrock’s gutman and his omega mate. This book is absolutely essential to understanding their relationship dynamics. It’s not all hearts and flowers but something beautiful materialized from the violence perpetrated in Leo’s pack.

• Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf #2
  • Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf Issue #1
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • A Fantastic Holiday Season: The Gift of Stories
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf #4
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
  • Fantastic Hope
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • Patricia Briggs' Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf #7
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana, to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a n

Alpha & Omega (6 books)
  • Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3; Mercy Thompson World - Complete #9)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4, Mercy Thompson World - Complete #11)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)