Start by marking “Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)” as Want to Read:
Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)

Night Broken

(Mercy Thompson #8)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  51,105 ratings  ·  3,574 reviews
An unexpected phone call heralds a new challenge for Mercy. Her mate Adam’s ex-wife is in trouble, on the run from a stalker. Adam isn’t the kind of man to turn away a person in need—and Mercy knows it. But with Christy holed up in Adam’s house, Mercy can’t shake the feeling that something about the situation isn’t right.

Soon her suspicions are confirmed when she learns th
Published March 11th 2014 by Ace Hardcover (first published March 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Night Broken, please sign up.
Linzerkipferl I agree with Karla. Don't go by the cover. That is definitely NOT Mercy - boob job AND nose job! (And the tats are all wrong, too. Anybody who has bot…moreI agree with Karla. Don't go by the cover. That is definitely NOT Mercy - boob job AND nose job! (And the tats are all wrong, too. Anybody who has bothered to read the books knows she has just the one paw print, done by her college friend. Those wannabe-badass-sleeves are typical mainstream-cover-overkill)
But I would have missed out on many enjoyable reads if I let myself be put off by all those stupid covers on the market, so I usually ignore them.(less)
Porcelain Patricia says there is going to be another book, "After this book is done, I’ve got another Mercy Thompson novel, and then I’ll need to negotiate anot…morePatricia says there is going to be another book, "After this book is done, I’ve got another Mercy Thompson novel, and then I’ll need to negotiate another contract with my publisher."
She also says she will not stop writing them unless, " I do not intend to stop writing either of my ongoing series unless I get tired of them, or get hit by a bus. And I don’t intend to get hit by a bus."
Link to interview. :)

·  51,105 ratings  ·  3,574 reviews

Start your review of Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

I really didn't like this installment, mainly because I pretty much hated every character (especially Adam and Christy)… The only ones I didn't mind were Jesse, Tad, and Warren… Even Mercy irritated me with her overly understanding Mary Sue attitude towards Adam and his ex.

-What's what: Adam's ex wife (Christy) has a crazy psycho stalker after her, Mercy and co have to protect her. Also, Mercy has to look for her sort of dad (Coyote) so he can give her back a magical walking
Lila

4,5 stars read for me.

It was so good being back in Mercy Thompson world.
You can always count on Patty Briggs to deliver quality story (imo) and Night Broken was no exception.

Bare plot: Christy, Adam's ex wife is running from a nasty stalker, so she decided to seek protection with Adam and his Pack. Unfortunately for Mercy, stalker in question is dangerous supernatural who can end them all and Christy just won't take the hint that there is a new Alpha's Mate in Columbia Basin pack.

When blurb f
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I forgot to update this re/read. This is one of the many covers that I love!!

I loved this one as much as the others with one exception....CHRISTY! Yes, the stupid ex-wife to Adam. I can't stand her. I would not be able to be as nice as Mercy, I would knock her arse out! I hope before this series ever ends, that she does just that!

**SPOILER-ISH**

This time the stupid woman meets some man while she is out gambling and sleeps with him because he takes notice of her! It ends up he's some fire god t
Esra
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every book has an end but this one shouldn't ... I can read forever.

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT CHRISTY

Just kill her already . Most hateable character of history
Coyote and gary was my favorite.

They were better than mercy and adam :D mercy was too tame about christy's actions. Blue shampoo revenge thing wasn't enough . Not even close. And adam was unresponsive about her actions too. he banned her from hospital! what a big deal alpha man!!

It was an awesome book. I love every word of
Anne
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an example of urban fantasy at it's finest.
I hate to say it, but I've given up on a lot of the series in the adult UF genre that I used to love.
Why?
Well, it seems that after a few kick-ass books, they turn into paranormal romance...or worse. Take the Anita Blake series for instance. The first few books had a badass heroine that rocked, and then the series transitioned into shitty erotica.
That's not what I signed up for.
I wanted magic and mayhem!
Not elongated nipples and ten foot we
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
3.75 stars. This installation of the Mercy Thompson urban fantasy series is noteworthy for two things: Adam's ex-wife Christy comes back into town, begging for protection from a stalker but also trying to steal Adam's attention and the werewolf pack's sympathy and loyalty away from Mercy, because that's just how Christy rolls. And an ancient volcano god from the far-off tropical Canary Islands. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but: fiery Presa Canario dogs!

I wasn't fond of the wh
Christy
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-audios
4-4.5 stars

photo 0D8BAE33-F205-45F3-8191-C8CC6B8E0784_zpskkpeywax.jpg

It’s been a few years since I’ve read a Mercy Thompson book. When the 9th book came out and my husband read it, I was reminded I still needed to read book 8! I started this one on audio and as always, love the narrator that voices Mercy. Even though it had been a while since I’ve been in Mercy’s world, it all came back to me as I started reading. I’ve been reading these books for a decade now and these characters are special to me. Mercy will forever be one of my favorite heroines
Regina
This book is fantastic. I loved every minute, every word and every page. The set-up promises an emotionally tense situation for the pack, Mercy and Adam. This could have been done poorly but it wasn't -- Briggs writes the history and the complexity of Adam's ex combing back to town so well. Have you been missing Samuel? Stefan? Wulfe? Tad? The crew is back. Full review to come closer to release date but damn -- good stuff.

Q&A today at Badass Book Reviews: http://badassbookreviews.com/intervie...
♥Rachel♥
Re-read for the 3rd time June 7th 2020
Yep, Mercy still deserves a medal for not strangling Christy! The fight scenes were pretty exciting. The parts with Coyote and Gary Laughingdog were interesting and enlightening! Mercy is definitely more than just a half-human who can turn in to a coyote. Powers and advantages still being revealed.

Re-read March 30th 2017
I think I hated Christy even more the 2nd time around! Mercy deserves a medal for not killing her!

As usual with the Mercy Thompson series,
Angela
March 2018 Reread: Buddy read with Sarah and Erica. I've realized that despite hating some particular people in this book, this is one of my absolute favorites in the series.
February 2017 Re-read: I still absolutely despise Christy.

February 2016 Re-read: Buddy read with Sarah

It could be said, prior to this book, that all of Mercy's problems have (nearly) always been aimed directly at her, Moon Called excepted. That's not the case here. This problem heads straight for Christy - Adam's ex-wife. Ad
VampireNovelFan
Baby Mama Drama Rama! Review + Giveaway 3/6/2014-3/16/2014

When a book is quotable, I'm gonna quote!
"Adam snorted as he pulled on a faded green t-shirt that said "I Heart Coyotes." Yet another sign that folding my clean clothes wasn't too big a price to pay to make him happy. He didn't have any "I Heart Christy " shirts--or I would have burned them already."

"I thought we should apply that kind of thinking to the matter of Cristy's stalker." He gave me a skeptical look
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
So I've been a superlative person pretty much my whole life. What does that mean? Well, it means I either love something, or I hate it. There are various things in the world that I have a fairly M-E-H reaction to, but mostly it's either "OMGILOVEIT!" or "OMGWTF?!" This is especially true about certain types of situations I come across in the books I read, and what is the #1 thing I hate most in the world with the fire of thousand suns??

EX-DRAMA.

I don't care what kind. If it's an ex-girlfriend,
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Bad news comes into Mercyworld and her name is Christy...aka ex-wife, aka bad mother, aka all around horrible person. That being said, what better way to create a bunch of drama and angst into the story. And have Mercy fight all her battles. It's a win-win for Christy...almost!

See Christy slept with some guy she just met who was definitely handsome but a little weird. Turns out he hit her, she hit him with a frying pan and then another guy she dated ended up dead. Now she's freaked and running b
Jen Davis
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was one of the most emotionally resonant Mercy Thompson books I have read. Patricia Briggs always does a good job of putting us inside Mercy's head, but I think this book really hit home for me because her emotional struggles centered on something that could just as easily happen to any one of us. The return of the ex.

That's right, Adam's ex-wife is the main foil of this story and I've got to say it felt kind of unusual for a relationship factor to take center stage in one of these books. O
If it ain't good I don't read it !

Christy wants Adam back?

description

Mercy's gonna murder your ass!! hands down !

description

I got only 3 words for you RUN BITCH RUN!!
Robin (Bridge Four)
Re-read Time

This held up well. I'll keep my rating the same. It was nice to see how far Mercy and Adam have come in their relationship. The only thing I didn't like was Mercy slut shamed Adam's ex-wife a bit. She was a beast and I was looking forward to the takedown moment but it was a little preachy for a second. Still the rest was awesome and the bad guy, well I could see why it was a close thing in the end. That guys was scary.

4.5 Stars

After not really liking River Marked and enjoying but not
Mandi Schreiner
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: uf
I truly love this series but it hasn’t been perfect for me. I think the characters and the world are pretty great, but sometimes I’m just darn bored and that kind of happened in this book. Maybe bored isn’t the right word but I felt like this book was a filler for two reasons – Adam’s ex-wife and the villain. They both seemed to have no purpose unless I’m missing something big and if I am please yell at me in the comments.

Adam’s ex-wife, Christy comes to stay in Adam and Mercy’s house when her b
1st Read March 2014
2nd Read February 2016
3rd Read February 2017
4th Read March 2018

Original Review

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of the Mercy Thompson series, I'm incredibly invested in these characters and I adore Mercy and Adam as a couple. I have to admit I was nervous about picking up Night Broken because Adam's ex-wife Christy is back on the scene and ready to cause trouble. I was worried that she would find a way to come between Mercy and Adam and put a spanner in their relationship and I wo
Audrey Jane
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
*minor spoilers*

This is déjà vu.

I think a comparison is in order. In the latest instalment of the Kate Daniels series (Magic Rises) most of the readers got displeased with the character Lorelei since there was no apparent reason to add some drama in Curran and Kate's relationship. The thing is, it didn't bother me that much because there was enough going on beside that minor issue. But in Night Broken the same trope of 'let's add a third (female) party that desperately tries to disrupt a harmon
Alex is The Romance Fox
Night Broken is the 8th book in the fantastic urban fantasy series that features Mercy Thompson as the heroine.
 photo tumblr_nlojs2kylK1unt6bso1_1280_zpsiqjutpjd.jpg
Mercy is faced with not one but two new challenges in her life!

Not only having to deal with Christy, Adam’s ex-wife’s hysterical call for help from a dangerous stalker but she wants to come and stay in their home until she’s safe. Adam is not keen to agree to her staying with them….not only is she dramatic but a trouble-maker.

Jesse, Adam’s daughter with Christy, who has be
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
“He had that whole “I was a Marine” thing”
With all the mystical badasses of this world, Mercy stops to compare him to a goddamn Marine *claps*

description

“He sounded so sad, so I tried to listen. Maybe I could cheer him up. “And the burns . . . I’m sorry, Adam—”
Mercy is literally dying and wants to help cheer up Adam BECAUSE HE SOUNDS FUCKING SAD jesus christ my own mother would just tell me to stop crying so loudly

“Mercy?” Adam said.
“We need to get new blankets,” I told him, and he laughed.
“Wha
Paula
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the Twilight series
Night Broken by Patricia Briggs is the 8th in her Mercy Thompson fantasy series. Taking place in the Tri-Cities of Washington, this is the story of Adam, the alpha of the areas werewolves, and his mate, shapeshifter, Mercy, and their pack. Different from some other series, humans know of the werewolves and work together to protect their cities.

I really enjoy reading about our female heroine, Mercy, and all the trouble she gets into. Along with the werewolves are vampires, fae, plenty of magic,
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Go check out Regina’s interview at badassbookreviews.com, Regina always has the best questions...

Here is the link to the interview..

My review...
Loved it. I thought I'd hate the ex coming back to try and mess stuff up but it is just a minor part of the story. Gary and Coyote made me laugh, Honey rocked, and there is a monster in this story that is so bad, it makes werewolves look like puppies.
Maria V. Snyder
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book brings the magic of the characters and series back! I really enjoyed it.
AH
Just awesome! This series just gets better and better!

In this installment of the Mercy Thompson series, Mercy is trying to cement her role as an Alpha’s mate. The pack doesn’t readily accept Mercy into the pack as she is a coyote shifter not a werewolf. To further exacerbate the situation, Adam’s human ex-wife Christy arrives because she is being stalked. Christy is a master manipulator and soon has the pack eating out of her hands – literally. Mercy is in one of those “damned if you do, damned
K
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
update:
I gave this book 4.5 amazing stars

because wow this book was everything I though it would be and just as amazing as the rest of the series. Mercy is back and she's gotten herself into even more trouble (surprise, surprise). Honestly, there was nothing about this book that I didn't love. Mercy's witty dialogue, the action packed story line and the romance between Adam and Mercy.

The one thing that stopped me from giving it 5 stars was the fact that Adam never actually stood up for Mercy. I
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Has More Potential*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Re-read: 11.07.2019
This book is actually one of the more... interesting ones in the series. However, it doesn't live up to its potential. I like seeing Mercy more.. possessive over Adam, and I always love seeing Adam showing love for Mercy. Even though there isn't a competition between Mercy and Adam's ex-wife, it's still interesting to see the influence the ex has on the pack and Mercy's reaction. I wish the pack was more... family like. Samuel is all bu
Dana Ilie
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
NIGHT BROKEN is packed full of strong writing – great moments of humor, horror, and suspense; emotion and drama; romance and redemption. It’s another wonderful story in a series that sets the bar. NIGHT BROKEN is highly recommended for fans of the series and for those readers who appreciate really thoughtfully written urban fantasy.
Glass
Series review posted at Ja čitam, a ti?

Don't you just love it when great series keep coming your way? And when little something extra comes in a form of two great girls - Vishous and Glam - who are buddy reading it with you? After finishing Kate Daniels, I realized that I am not ready to part ways with urban fantasy, so picked up Moon Called and the rest is history.

What I liked?

# Mythology. Patricia Briggs gave us this weird, but little bit closer to the roots, mash up of different paranor
Beanbag Love
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was going to be a five star until the ending. So much ramped up stress and then it's over. It's not the fact that I always want more Mercy it's just that it wraps up really quickly and abruptly stops. It has me disgruntled enough to cost it a whole star. :(

Otherwise this reading experience was sublime. It contains one of my most hated tropes which isn't resolved, unfortunately, by the end of the book. But Briggs handles it better than others have recently. I guess it's not a spoiler since i

• Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)
  • Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)
  • Clean Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Murder of Crows (The Others, #2)
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana, to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a n

Mercy Thompson (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)