2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Yearly Challenges > The Members Challenge - 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Jan 14, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE
Duration: January 6 - December 31, 2013

This challenge is all about YOU, the wonderful members of our group. Members had an opportunity to create tasks. Set your goal, and see how many of these member-created tasks you can complete.

Alexandra's Task: I've been debating my career choice. Read a book where a character makes a career change.

Amy's Task: I am a procrastinator so...Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it. Just read it already!

April Lyn's Task: April Lyn's Task: My husband and I have a heart for the impoverished. Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless. It can be fiction or non-fiction.

Ashley's Task: I am married to a medical student. I hear stories about medicine all the time. Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare. Can be non-fiction or fiction. Examples: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Still Alice

Audrey's Task: My name is Audrey and I am a genealogy buff. Read a book that is about genealogy or family history. If you know some of your genealogy, read a book about a topic that has arose in your research. For example, I have Quaker roots that go back to the Underground railroad so I could read a book about escaping slavery in pre-civil war America. Or I could read a book on the Irish Potato Famine if my ancestors came from Ireland. Wide open but should be fun. Good luck.

Barb's Task: Music and art are big deals in my family, and I love reading mysteries and books set in Pennsylvania, my home state. Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania. Helpful lists: Arts & Artists in Fiction, Fiction Books Involving Art, Popular Music Fiction Books, Mystery Books Set in PA

Candiss's Task: My father's parents were both children of Hungarian immigrants to the US. He learned to speak Magyar in the home before learning English at school, but he passed away when I was 6 years old, and there was no one left to teach me the language. Yet I have always felt a strong connection to Hungarian culture and have sought out books about the country and by Hungarian authors. Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family. Helpful lists: 20th Century Hungarian Literature, Popular Hungary Books

Cherise's Task: I've been suffering from medical problems for a few years now. Read a book involves someone being sick or about an illness during a period in history. Examples: The Fault in Our Stars, My Sister's Keeper

Christina's Task: I am an Army wife and mom. I've been "married to the military" for 15 years now and have been through 3 deployments with my husband (who is a medic). Read a book about war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind. Could be a parent, sibling, lover, etc.

Ellie's Task: I enjoy making lists for planning and organizing. Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule. Examples: Find More Time: How to Get Things Done at Home, Organize Your Life, and Feel Great About ItFinish Your Book! a Time Management Guide for WritersOrganize Your Life: Free Yourself from Clutter & Find More Personal Time

Georgina's Task: My undergraduate dissertation discussed golden age crime fiction rules and if Agatha Christie broke too many of them. For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime. Helpful list: The Golden Age Queens of Crime

Gina's Task: My undergraduate degree is in Psychology and my Master's Degree is in Elementary Education. Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher.

JenniferJ's Task: Most folks consider 13 an unlucky number but I believe the opposite. Since the year 2013 is coming up my task is to either ead a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title

Joanne's Task: My favorite monster is a vampire. Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.

Johanna´s Task: I am looking for a place of my own right now, so I will (hopefully) be moving out soon. Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time. Examples: changes/has changed their legal name. SlammedThe HostFallen

Kai's Task: Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory). Examples: 1Q84, American Gods, Fun Home

Kara's Task: My name is pronounced "KAH-ruh," but many people say "KAIR-uh." Read a book that has a heteronym in its title. For more on heteronyms, click here. Examples: The Name of the WIND, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLOSE, Tribes: We Need You to LEAD Us

Karina's Task: My name (in Scandinavia, anyway) was a very popular one in the 1980-ies. Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade. Examples: Neuromancer (Hugo award, 1985), The Color Purple (Pulitzer, 1983)

Kattibrie's Task: Ok, My name is Ekaterina and my nickname is Kattibrie which is a variation of Cattie-Brie's name in R.A. Salvatore's books. Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name.

Kelsi's Task: I love to run and be healthy. Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you, or encourages you to make a positive change in your life. Examples: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Lilac's Task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way.

Lorelei's Task: My name is Lorelei. There is a legend about a siren called Lorelei on the Rhine River in Germany. Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.

Melanie's Task: I have completed my Masters in Library and Information Science. Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library. Examples: Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!, Stones from the River, Lirael

Melissa's Task: The meaning of my name is "honey bee" .. find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words.

Rachel's Task: I adopted my daughter and hope to adopt many more children. Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption. Examples: Anything by

Sasha's Task: I'm Russian, I grew up in Japan and was educated in America. Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis >.< Examples: pretty much anything by Haruki MurakamiThe Master and MargaritaThe Russian Debutante's Handbook

Sharon's Task: Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families. Helpful link: Ten Books about Large Families

Teresa's Task: I'm Teresa and my task involves places/travel. A short(ish? LOL) history: My husband was in the army for 6 of our married years and we were stationed in Texas, Colorado and England. Of those places, Colorado was my favorite. However, while we lived in England I was able to visit a few places in Europe, such as Belgium, Germany and Ireland. Of those, Belgium holds very fond memories for me. Someplace I have longed to visit is Hawaii...maybe someday. Now, instead of asking you to read a book that takes place in any of the places I have named, I am going to ask you to read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live. Any genre, take your pick!

Toni's Task: My name can be used for a male or a female. Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex. Some examples of names are: Toni/Tony; Carol/Carroll; Pat; Jamie; Dawn/Don; Alex; Randi/Randy; Leigh/Lee; Jordan; Wallis/Wallace; Keri/Cary, etc.

Trev's Task: My name is one I chose for myself. Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name.

TOTAL: 30 TASKS

message 2: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Reserved for answers to questions.

message 3: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments This thread is now open, and the tasks are final.

message 4: by JenniferJ (last edited Feb 15, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

JenniferJ I'm gonna try to do all 30! This is going to be fun! Thanks for hosting this one!

THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE
11/30

Alexandra's Task: (Housewife to Teacher) Montana Morning by Sharon Flesch (2/15/13)*****

Amy's Task: Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it.

April Lyn's Task: (Homeless girl)Lasso Me a Mom by Stephanie Jackson (2/3/13)*****

Ashley's Task: (Daughter needs a transplant) Shades of Gray by Andy Hollomon (1/19/13)****

Audrey's Task: Read a book that is about genealogy or family history.

Barb's Task: Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania.

Candiss's Task: Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family.

Cherise's Task: Read a book involves someone being sick or about an illness during a period in history.

Christina's Task: (sister) Big Girls Don't Cry by Taylor Lee (1/19/13)****

Ellie's Task: Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule.

Georgina's Task: Read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime.

Gina's Task: (Neighbor had mental illness) When Slumber Falls by S.D. Hintz (2/3/13)**

JenniferJ's Task: Read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title.

Joanne's Task: (Vampire) A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest (1/28/13)*****

Johanna´s Task: Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time.

Kai's Task: (memorial site where deaths have occurred) The Doll by J.C. Martin (2/12/13)***

Kara's Task: Read a book that has a heteronym in its title.

Karina's Task: Read a book which won some sort of award in the 1980's.

Kattibrie's Task: Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name.

Kelsi's Task: Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you, or encourages you to make a positive change in your life.

Lilac's Task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way.

Lorelei's Task: (shipwreck by pirates) Captive of My Desires by Johanna Lindsey (1/13/13)**

Melanie's Task: Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library.

Melissa's Task: Find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words.

Rachel's Task: (adopted) Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins (1/13/13)****

Sasha's Task: identity crisis Untimed by Andy Gavin (1/18/13)****

Sharon's Task: Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families.

Teresa's Task: Read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live.

Toni's Task: (uni-sex name--Max) Blood Winter by Diana Pharaoh Francis (1/5/13)****

Trev's Task: Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name.

message 5: by Nathan (last edited Jan 07, 2013 09:24AM) (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Going for 15!

1. Amy: (keep meaning to read) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
2. April Lyn: (homeless character) The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger?
3. Ashley: (medicine/healthcare)
4. Cherise: (sick character) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
5. Christina: (war from the point of view of one left behind)
6. Georgina: (golden age queen of crime) Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie
7. Gina: (psychological dilemma)
8. Johanna: (moves/leaves home) Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
9. Kara: (heteronym) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
10. Kelsi: (non-fiction book/positive change)
11. Lilac: (young adult)
12. Teresa: (dream destination setting: Vietnam) A Million Shades of Gray by Cynthia Kadohata
13. Toni: (unisex name)
14. Trev: (dislikes/changes name) Being Emily by Rachel Gold?

**the ones with ? are ones I won't be sure fit the category until I read them** also, please recommend some books for the empty categories! ;)

message 6: by Melissa (last edited May 21, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

Melissa (missie322) | 208 comments The Members Challenge
18/30 Completed

Alexandra's Task: One For The Money 4/5 Stars 01/14/13 (Main character makes a career change)
Amy's Task: Something Borrowed 3/5 Stars 02/06/13 (Read that one book you keep meaning to ..)
April Lyn's Task:
Ashley's Task: The Midwife of Hope River 3/5 Stars 04/07/13 (Read a book about healthcare. Fiction or non-fiction)
Audrey's Task:
Barb's Task:
Candiss's Task:
Cherise's Task: The Replacement Wife 3/5 Stars 01/07/13 (book involves someone being sick)
Christina's Task: The Wild Rose / Jennifer Donnelly 5/5 Stars 05/21/13 (book based around a war, with family and friends left behind)
Ellie's Task:
Georgina's Task:
Gina's Task: Thirteen Reasons Why 4/5 Stars 02/05/13 (book that has a character that has some kind of psychological dilemma)
JenniferJ's Task:
Joanne's Task:
Johanna´s Task: The Dovekeepers 5/5 Stars 01/06/13 (character moves or has to leave his/her home for a long period of time)
Kai's Task: American Gods / Neil Gaiman 4/5 Stars 04/25/13 (a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred)
Kara's Task:
Karina's Task:
Kattibrie's Task: In the Woods 4/5 Stars 02/26/13 (Variation of Catherine - Katy)
Kelsi's Task: The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun 3/5 Stars 01/30/13 (Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you or encourages you to make a positive change in your life)
Lilac's Task: Tiger Lily 4/5 Stars 01/30/13 (Read a young adult book)
Lorelei's Task:
Melanie's Task: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore 3/5 Stars 01/25/13 (significant portion takes place in or around a library)
Melissa's Task:
Rachel's Task: unSweetined 3/5 Stars 02/19/13 (Was adopted)
Sasha's Task: Shopaholic Ties the Knot 3/5 Stars 02/04/13 (Pick a book with a character having an identity crisis)
Sharon's Task: The Perfect Marriage 4/5 Stars 01/15/13 (Book revolves around a family and their life)
Teresa's Task: The Light Between Oceans 4/5 Stars 01/09/13 (Set in Australia. A place I would like to visit).
Toni's Task: The Inn at Rose Harbor 3/5 Stars 01/16/13 (Main character's name can be male/female - Jo/Joe)
Trev's Task: The Winter Rose 5/5 Stars 01/24/13 (Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name - Charlie Finnagan/Sid Malone/Sid Baxter)

message 7: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited May 05, 2013 11:03AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 154 comments Excited to join in on this one! I'm really behind on gathering up ideas for my challenges. I'll just work on this challenge as I go, rather than try to commit to a specific number.

Alexandra's Task (Character makes career change):
Amy's Task (Book been meaning to get to):
April Lyn's Task (Main character is or has been homeless):
Ashley's Task (About medicine or health care):
Audrey's Task (Genealogy or family history; topic related to my own family history):
Barb's Task (Music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania):
Candiss's Task (Set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author; Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family):
Cherise's Task (Sick person, illness):
Christina's Task (war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind):
Ellie's Task (Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule):
Georgina's Task (read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime):
Gina's Task (Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher): Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn (psychological thriller about a sociopath)
JenniferJ's Task (word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title):
Joanne's Task (main character is vampire):
Johanna´s Task (a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time): Anna and the French Kiss, by Stephanie Perkins. Anna is sent to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year of high school (she grew up in America)
Kai's Task (Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory):
Kara's Task (Read a book that has a heteronym in its title):
Karina's Task (Read a book which won some sort of award in the 1980s):
Kattibrie's Task (Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name):
Kelsi's Task (Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you, or encourages you to make a positive change in your life):
Lilac's Task (Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way): Dairy Queen
Lorelei's Task (Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck):
Melanie's Task (Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library):
Melissa's Task (find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words):
Rachel's Task (Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption):
Sasha's Task (I'm Russian, I grew up in Japan and was educated in America. Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis):
Sharon's Task (Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families):
Teresa's Task (takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live):
Toni's Task (Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex):
Trev's Task (Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name): True Blue, by David Baldacci (Mason Perry is a female who hates her name so she changes it legally to Mace).

message 8: by Gecko (new)

Gecko (geckosleseleben) The Members Challenge
1/30 Completed

This is a wonderful bright range of books
I will look for all books over this year... but commit myself only to 25.

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 581 comments Trevor wrote: "Going for 15!...

**the ones with ? are ones I won't be sure fit the category until I read them** also, please recommend some books for the empty categories! ;)

Hey Trevor,

I agree - sometimes it's hard to know until you start (or sometimes, finish) reading a book whether it will fit into a category and some of these books I haven't read so can't assure you they all fit the categories. And they may not be to your taste either, but here's some suggestions for what they're worth!

3. Ashley: (medicine/healthcare)
Band-Aid for a Broken Leg by Damien Brown Band-Aid for a Broken Leg by Damien Brown - I'm not sure how widely available this one is. It's by an Australian author. I've just finished reading it and really enjoyed it. It does involve some swearing, but it describes healthcare in Africa very well.

Or The House of God The Classic Novel of Life and Death in an American Hospital by Samuel Shem The House of God: The Classic Novel of Life and Death in an American Hospital by Samuel Shem - I haven't read this, but it certainly sounds interesting

5. Christina: (war from the point of view of one left behind)
I know I've read stories about women and children left behind when the men go off to war, but I can't think of them at the moment! These are the best I can come up with (and are from my TBR list).
The Bite of the Mango by Mariatu Kamara The Bite of the Mango by Mariatu Kamara - I haven't read this, but it's about a victim of the war in Sierra Leone - a young girl - who was left behind by the rebel forces when they swept through her village after cutting off her hands

Or Beneath the Darkening Sky by Majok Tulba Beneath the Darkening Sky by Majok Tulba - I haven't read this, and it isn't about someone left behind but about someone swept up when Sudanese rebels come through a village - the story of a young boy forced to become a rebel soldier while trying not to develop the mentality of the rebel soldiers.

10. Kelsi: (non-fiction book/positive change)
Bitter Chocolate Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet by Carol Off Bitter Chocolate: Investigating the Dark Side of the World's Most Seductive Sweet by Carol Off - I've read this one - very illuminating regarding the history of chocolate and how it is produced for our pleasure while causing such problems to those who grow it.
French Kids Eat Everything How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters by Karen Le Billon French Kids Eat Everything: How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters by Karen Le Billon - I haven't read this one, but it's on my TBR!

11. Lilac: (young adult) - have you read any of the Hunger Games books? Or Harry Potter? Or the Twilight series? Failing that, there's the lists of YA books on Listopia - http://www.goodreads.com/list/tag/you...

Good luck, and happy reading!

message 10: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments Oh, I forgot to sign up. Going for 17!

01. Alexandra's task (career change):
02. Amy's task (keep meaning to read):
03. Ashley's task (medicine):
04. Barb's task (music/art):
05. Cherise's task (illness in history):
06. Ellie's task (organizing life):
07. JenniferJ's task (13th in a series):
08. Joanne's task (vampire):
09. Johanna's task (moving/leaving home):
10. Karina's task (80ies award):
11. Kelsi's task (enlightening nonfic):
12. Lilac's task (YA/comingofage):
13. Lorelei's task (Germany/"Legend"/shipwreck):
14. Melanie's task (library/librarian):
15. Melissa's task (meaning of your name in title):
16. Sasha's task (translated from japanese/russian):
17. Toni's task (main character with androgynous name):

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 54 comments I'm going for 18. I'm still working on the list, but I have a few tentative titles posted at my member corner.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) | 154 comments Trevor, just wanted to let you know that I read The Fault in Our Stars and it definitely fits task #4!

message 13: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments I'm in for 15. :)

message 14: by Cherise (last edited Aug 25, 2013 09:25AM) (new)

Cherise (inkdrinkingmoth) I'm going to 10.

7/10

1. Amy's Task (book you keep meaning to read) : Wolf Hall (Finished 3/22)
2. Barb's Task (music/art) : Sing You Home (Finished 4/19)
3. Georgina's Task (Agatha Christie) :
4. Johanna´s Task (Leaving Home): Neverwhere (Finished 2/28)
5. Karina's Task (Award winning book in 1980-ies):
6. Sasha's Task (Takes place in Russia/Japan/America or translated from there): A Constellation of Vital Phenomena (Finished 8/25)
7. Toni's Task (Arthur/character with unisex name) : The Long Earth (Finished 3/31) (Terry)
8. Ashley's Task (Medical) :
9. Gina's Task (Mental Illness) : The Silver Linings Playbook (Finished 3/24)
10. Lorelei's Task ("Legend" in title): Legend (Finished 3/25)

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Thanks for the suggestions and feedback guys! I'll check those books out, Kathryn. They look really interesting. :)

message 16: by Ellie (last edited Apr 12, 2013 01:50PM) (new)

Ellie | 54 comments Duration: 1/6/13-12/31/13
Goal: 18
Completed: 18/18

Tentative list:

Alexandra's Task

Amy's Task Pretty Witches All in a Row ✔ 3/12/13

April Lyn's Task

Ashley's Task Power of Vitamin D: New Scientific Research.. ✔ 2/5/13

Audrey's Task In the Blood ✔ 2/28/13

Barb's Task

Candiss's Task Bloodstone ✔ 3/8/13

Cherise's Task

Christina's Task

Ellie's Task How to Keep It Clean! The Spring Cleaning Action Guide for Cleaning and Organizing Your Home All Year Round ✔ 1/8/13

Georgina's Task

Gina's Task Hide and Seek ✔ 3/15/13

JenniferJ's Task

Joanne's Task Awakened ✔ 1/9/13

Johanna´s Task Voyage of the Dead ✔ 4/3/13

Kai's Task Dangerous Undertaking ✔ 2/6/13

Kara's Task

Karina's Task

Kattibrie's Task

Kelsi's Task Defeat Wheat: Your Guide to Eliminating Gluten and Losing Weight ✔ 1/8/13

Lilac's Task The Charm ✔ 2/27/13

Lorelei's Task

Melanie's Task Indian Foot Lake Love Story ✔ 2/8/13

Melissa's Task

Rachel's Task Blue Violet ✔ 4/10/13

Sasha's Task Wait For Me ✔ 4/12/13

Sharon's Task Completely Restored ✔ 2/5/13

Teresa's Task The Legend of Lady MacLaoch ✔ 2/13/13

Toni's Task Opal Fire ✔ 3/7/13

Trev's Task Millicent Marie Is Not My Name ✔ 4/8/13

message 17: by Kme_17 (last edited Dec 04, 2013 10:13PM) (new)

Kme_17 | 40 comments THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE
9/30

Alexandra's Task: Welcome to Temptation

Amy's Task: The Peach Keeper

April Lyn's Task: Death Will Get You Sober

Ashley's Task: Cancer Schmancer

Barb's Task: All of Me

Candiss's Task: Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family.

Cherise's Task: Read a book involves someone being sick or about an illness during a period in history.

Christina's Task: Read a book about war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind.

Ellie's Task: Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule.

Georgina's Task: Read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime.

Gina's Task: The Piano Teacher

JenniferJ's Task: Read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title.

Joanne's Task: My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

Johanna´s Task: Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time.

Kai's Task: Twenties Girl

Karina's Task: Read a book which won some sort of award in the 1980's.

Kattibrie's Task: Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name.

Kelsi's Task:The Introvert's Way: Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World

Lilac's Task: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions

Lorelei's Task: Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.

Melanie's Task: Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library.

Melissa's Task: Find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words.

Rachel's Task: Digging to America

Sasha's Task: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Sharon's Task: Ya Yas in Bloom

Teresa's Task:Notes from a Small Island

Toni's Task: Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex.

Trev's Task: Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name

message 18: by Lorelei (last edited Jan 01, 2014 02:44PM) (new)

Lorelei (goodreadscomlorelei_reads) | 393 comments Members Challenge
6/7 Completed

Amy's Task: Just read it already!

***The Joy Luck Club*** Read 3.31.13

Ellie's Task: Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life. *** Plan it Don't Panic *** Read 12.31.13

Georgina's Task: For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime.
***Murder on the Orient Express, Agatha Christie 10.29.13***

Lilac's Task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way. *** Rascal, Sterling North 11-2-13 ***

Lorelei's Task: Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck. *** Swiss Family Robinson *** Read 12.31.13

Sharon's Task: Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families. Helpful link: Ten Books about Large Families

*** A Wrinkly in Time *** Read 3.31.13

Teresa's Task: I'm Teresa and my task involves places/travel.

message 19: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nthnlwly) Changing goal to 12. :)

1. Amy: (keep meaning to read) The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger | Rating: 3 stars

1/12 complete

message 20: by Diana S (last edited Jan 14, 2013 03:43PM) (new)

Diana S | 55 comments Member's Challenge
Books Read: 2/30
Updated: 1/14/13

Member's Tasks

Alexandra's Task:
Amy's Task:
April Lyn's Task:
Ashley's Task:
Audrey's Task:
Barb's Task:
Candiss's Task:
Cherise's Task:
Christina's Task:
Ellie's Task:
Georgina's Task:
Gina's Task:
JenniferJ's Task:
Joanne's Task:
Johanna´s Task:
Kai's Task:
Kara's Task:
Karina's Task:
Kattibrie's Task:
Kelsi's Task:
Lilac's Task:
Lorelei's Task:
Melanie's Task:
Melissa's Task:
Rachel's Task:
*Sasha's Task: The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell (1/11/13)
Japan
Sharon's Task:
*Teresa's Task: The Good Husband of Zebra Drive by Alexander McCall Smith (1/9/13) would loved to travel to Botswana
Toni's Task:
Trev's Task:

message 21: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie | 96 comments The members challenge

Progress: 4/14

Amy's Task: Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it. Just read it already!

*Georgina's Task: For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime. Helpful list: The Golden Age Queens of Crime - Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie , finished 15.01

Gina's Task: Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher.

JenniferJ's Task: read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title

*Joanne's Task: Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire. - Sunshine by Robin McKinley , finished 08.01

Karina's Task: My name (in Scandinavia, anyway) was a very popular one in the 1980-ies. Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade. Examples: Neuromancer (Hugo award, 1985), The Color Purple (Pulitzer, 1983)

Lorelei's Task: Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.

Sasha's Task: I'm Russian, I grew up in Japan and was educated in America. Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis.

Sharon's Task: Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families.

Teresa's Task: I'm Teresa and my task involves places/travel - read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live.

*Toni's Task: My name can be used for a male or a female. Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex. -
Lost In Translation Misadventures In English Abroad by Charlie Croker by Charlie Croker, finished 09.01

message 22: by Barb (last edited Apr 07, 2013 07:05PM) (new)

Barb I'm going to try for 20 of these, but may increase my goal as the year progresses.
March 1 ETA: I'm increasing my goal to 25. I'd go for the whole thing, but I know there are some of these that I'll never read!

THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE, 1/6 - 12/31
PROGRESS: 25/25

Alexandra's Task: Read a book where a character makes a career change.
Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, by Jennifer Chiaverini, finished 2/9 - Elizabeth was born a slave, but was able to buy her freedom and her son’s, then became a successful dressmaker in Washington DC

Night Over Water, by Ken Follett, finished 2/3

April Lyn's Task: Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless.
Armageddon's Children (Genesis of Shannara #1), by Terry Brooks, finished 1/26 – Logan Tom’s home has been destroyed, his family killed

Ashley's Task: Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare.
Invasive Procedures, by Orson Scott Card, finished 1/15 – genetic engineering in the future

The Last Runaway, by Tracy Chevalier, finished 1/16 – some of my ancestors, in the Erie PA area, were involved in the Underground Railroad

Barb's Task: Read a mystery set in Pennsylvania.
Never Sorry (Leigh Koslow #2), by Edie Claire, finished 2/15

Candiss's Task: Read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family.
Guide to Pennsylvania Troops at Gettysburg, by Richard Rollins (1997), finished 1/28 - several of my ancestors fought at Gettysburg, on Little Round Top, and we've been trying to learn more about them and their military units

Cherise's Task: Read a book involves someone being sick.
Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6), by Mary Jane Clark, finished 1/20 – several characters poisoned by anthrax

Christina's Task: Read a book about war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind.
Between Shades of Gray, by Ruta Sepetys, finished 2/25 – Lina, her brother and mother are separated from their father during WWII

Gina's Task: Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma or illness.
The One You Love, by Paul Pilkington, finished 1/29 - several characters have different mental illnesses

JenniferJ's Task: Read a book has either the number or word 13 in the title.
13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time, by Michal Brooks, finished 3/8

Joanne's Task: Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.

Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1), by Elizabeth Peters, finished 1/24

Kai's Task: Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory).
Finding Camlann, by Sean Pidgeon, finished 1/31 - burial ground

Kara's Task: Read a book that has a heteronym in its title. Examples: The Name of the WIND, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLOSE, Tribes: We Need You to LEAD Us

Karina's Task: My name (in Scandinavia, anyway) was a very popular one in the 1980-ies. Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade.

Kattibrie's Task: Read a where a character is called Catherine
And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily #1), by Tasha Alexander, finished 3/31

Kelsi's Task: Read a non-fiction book that encourages you to make a positive change in your life.
One Simple Act: Discovering the Power of Generosity, by Debbie Macomber, finished 2/19 – a positive change in attitude

Wonder, by R.J. Palacio, finished 1/6

Lorelei's Task: Read a book that includes a shipwreck.
The Last Templar (Templar #1), by Raymond Khoury, finished 2/19

Melanie's Task: Read a book where the main character is a librarian.
Killer Librarian, by Mary Lou Kirwin, finished 3/3

Melissa's Task: Find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title
Barbara = stranger, foreigner
A Stranger's Game, by Joan Johnston, finished 4/2

Rachel's Task: Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption.
Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor #1), by Lisa Kleypas, finished 2/4

Sasha's Task: Pick a book with a character having an identity crisis.
Three Days: A Mother's Story, by Melody Carlson, finished 2/26 – Mary struggles with becoming one of Jesus’ followers rather than his mother

Sharon's Task: Read a book that revolves around a family and their life.
Zoned for Murder (Sound Shore Times #1), by Evelyn David , finished 2/21 – Maggie and the kids moving on after Pete’s death

Teresa's Task: Read a book that takes place someplace you would love to visit/live.
Night Marchers (Night Marchers #1), by Rebecca Gober, finished 1/21 - someday I'll get to Hawaii!

Toni's Task: Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex.
Kinsey and Me: Stories, by Sue Grafton, finished 1/27 - according to ThinkBabyNames.com, Kinsey can be either a boy’s name or a girl’s name

✔ Trev's Task: Read a book where one character changes/has changed their legal name.
The Cold Light of Mourning (Penny Brannigan #1), by Elizabeth J. Duncan, finished 2/28 - Sandra became Meg Wynne and Dafydd became David

Wonder by R.J. Palacio  Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card  The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier  Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6) by Mary Jane Clark  Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1) by Rebecca Gober  Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody #1) by Elizabeth Peters  Armageddon's Children (Genesis of Shannara, #1) by Terry Brooks  Kinsey and Me Stories by Sue Grafton  Guide to Pennsylvania Troops at Gettysburg by Richard Rollins  The One You Love by Paul Pilkington

Finding Camlann by Sean Pidgeon  Night Over Water by Ken Follett  Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas  Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini  One Simple Act Discovering the Power of Generosity by Debbie Macomber  Never Sorry (Leigh Koslow Mystery #2) by Edie Claire  The Last Templar (Templar, #1) by Raymond Khoury  Zoned for Murder by Evelyn David  Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys  Three Days A Mother's Story by Melody Carlson

The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1) by Elizabeth J. Duncan  Killer Librarian by Mary Lou Kirwin  13 Things That Don't Make Sense The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time by Michael Brooks  And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) by Tasha Alexander  A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7) by Joan Johnston

***** CHALLENGE COMPLETE 4/2 *****

message 23: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (laparks) I'm going to commit to 20 of the tasks.

One of my reads so far this year I think will fit for April Lyn's task. Winter's Daughter by Kathleen Creighton. Technically the main character isn't homeless, but she's doing research on the homeless community in her city and goes undercover as a homeless woman. Turns out the city councilman in town is also working undercover as a homeless man.

and Breathless (Jason and Azazel #1) I'm going to count as Lilac's Task: A young adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way. It's a dark young adult book but I think Azazel definitely grows up when she sees what is going on in her town and with her family.

So 2/20 completed!!

message 24: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (laparks) 2 more bringing me to 4/20

Johanna - On Ice by J.D.Faver (Main character moves to Alaska to escape her abusive husband)

Toni - It Was You by Carly Fall (characters are Sydney and Jordan, so even though it was a very short book, I'm counting it since both names qualify for the task!)

April Lyn: Winter's Daughter by Kathleen Creighton

Lilac: Breathless (Jason and Azazel #1) by VJ Chambers

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 125 comments I am in and I am going to aim to do 15 books. I have already completed Gina's challenge of reading a book with a character who is a teacher as I just finished reading The Da Vinci Code, so 1/15 complete. Looking forward to completing others.

message 26: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (godsmissiongal) | 173 comments I had originally decided to go for 5, now I realize that I greatly underestimated myself. I have already finished 6 of the tasks and you can follow my books in my member's corner. So at this point I am going to do a scavenger hunt type of challenge and see how many I can get with the books I decide to read. I will casually say I will do at least 15 for the year but will hope for more.

message 27: by Shelly (last edited Feb 15, 2013 02:09PM) (new)

Shelly Bretheim (shellybre) THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE
10/30

Alexandra's Task I've been debating my career choice. Read a book where a character makes a career change. The Devil's Deep Feb.9

Amy's Task I am a procrastinator so...Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it. Just read it already! The SinnerFeb.2

April Lyn's Task April Lyn's Task: My husband and I have a heart for the impoverished. Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless. It can be fiction or non-fiction. Cape Refuge Feb.6

Ashley's Task I am married to a medical student. I hear stories about medicine all the time. Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare. Can be non-fiction or fiction. Examples: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Still Alice

Audrey's Task My name is Audrey and I am a genealogy buff. Read a book that is about genealogy or family history. If you know some of your genealogy, read a book about a topic that has arose in your research. For example, I have Quaker roots that go back to the Underground railroad so I could read a book about escaping slavery in pre-civil war America. Or I could read a book on the Irish Potato Famine if my ancestors came from Ireland. Wide open but should be fun. Good luck.

Barb's Task Music and art are big deals in my family, and I love reading mysteries and books set in Pennsylvania, my home state. Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania. Helpful lists: Arts & Artists in Fiction, Fiction Books Involving Art, Popular Music Fiction Books, Mystery Books Set in PA

Candiss's Task My father's parents were both children of Hungarian immigrants to the US. He learned to speak Magyar in the home before learning English at school, but he passed away when I was 6 years old, and there was no one left to teach me the language. Yet I have always felt a strong connection to Hungarian culture and have sought out books about the country and by Hungarian authors. Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family. Helpful lists: 20th Century Hungarian Literature, Popular Hungary Books
Sleep No More

Cherise's Task I've been suffering from medical problems for a few years now. Read a book involves someone being sick or about an illness during a period in history. Examples: The Fault in Our Stars, My Sister's Keeper

Christina's Task I am an Army wife and mom. I've been "married to the military" for 15 years now and have been through 3 deployments with my husband (who is a medic). Read a book about war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind. Could be a parent, sibling, lover, etc.

Ellie's Task I enjoy making lists for planning and organizing. Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule. Examples: Find More Time: How to Get Things Done at Home, Organize Your Life, and Feel Great About ItFinish Your Book! a Time Management Guide for WritersOrganize Your Life: Free Yourself from Clutter & Find More Personal Time

Georgina's Task My undergraduate dissertation discussed golden age crime fiction rules and if Agatha Christie broke too many of them. For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime. Helpful list: The Golden Age Queens of Crime

Gina's Task My undergraduate degree is in Psychology and my Master's Degree is in Elementary Education. Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher. Easy Innocence Feb. 1

JenniferJ's Task Most folks consider 13 an unlucky number but I believe the opposite. Since the year 2013 is coming up my task is to either ead a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title

Joanne's Task My favorite monster is a vampire. Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.

Johanna´s Task I am looking for a place of my own right now, so I will (hopefully) be moving out soon. Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time. Examples: changes/has changed their legal name. SlammedThe HostFallen Keeper of the Bride

Kai's Task Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory). Examples: 1Q84, American Gods, Fun Home

Kara's Task My name is pronounced "KAH-ruh," but many people say "KAIR-uh." Read a book that has a heteronym in its title. For more on heteronyms, click here. Examples: The Name of the WIND, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLOSE, Tribes: We Need You to LEAD Us

Karina's Task My name (in Scandinavia, anyway) was a very popular one in the 1980-ies. Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade. Examples: Neuromancer (Hugo award, 1985), The Color Purple (Pulitzer, 1983)

Kattibrie's Task Ok, My name is Ekaterina and my nickname is Kattibrie which is a variation of Cattie-Brie's name in R.A. Salvatore's books. Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name.

Kelsi's Task I love to run and be healthy. Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you, or encourages you to make a positive change in your life. Examples: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Lilac's Task Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way.The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Lorelei's Task My name is Lorelei. There is a legend about a siren called Lorelei on the Rhine River in Germany. Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.

Melanie's Task I have completed my Masters in Library and Information Science. Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library. Examples: Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!, Stones from the River, Lirael

Melissa's Task The meaning of my name is "honey bee" .. find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words.

Rachel's Task I adopted my daughter and hope to adopt many more children. Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption. Examples: Anything by

Sasha's Task I'm Russian, I grew up in Japan and was educated in America. Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis >.< Examples: pretty much anything by Haruki MurakamiThe Master and MargaritaThe Russian Debutante's Handbook

Sharon's Task Read a book that revolves around a family and their life. Or, read a book about large families. Helpful link: Ten Books about Large Families
Low Pressure Jan. 29

Teresa's Task I'm Teresa and my task involves places/travel. A short(ish? LOL) history: My husband was in the army for 6 of our married years and we were stationed in Texas, Colorado and England. Of those places, Colorado was my favorite. However, while we lived in England I was able to visit a few places in Europe, such as Belgium, Germany and Ireland. Of those, Belgium holds very fond memories for me. Someplace I have longed to visit is Hawaii...maybe someday. Now, instead of asking you to read a book that takes place in any of the places I have named, I am going to ask you to read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live. Any genre, take your pick! 30 Pieces of Silver Jan. 27 One of my favorite places that I have visited is Italy!!

Toni's Task My name can be used for a male or a female. Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex. Some examples of names are: Toni/Tony; Carol/Carroll; Pat; Jamie; Dawn/Don; Alex; Randi/Randy; Leigh/Lee; Jordan; Wallis/Wallace; Keri/Cary, etc.

Trev's Task My name is one I chose for myself. Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name. Safe Haven Jan 28

message 28: by Barb (new)

Barb Kara wrote: "Candiss's Task ... Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family. "

How about a non-fiction book that helps *me learn a bit more about my family history?

message 29: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I'll accept that, Barb :)

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Count me in for 10.

Although I may try to go for more, I just need to see how many of my Immediate TBR books will work for the tasks.

message 31: by Nik (last edited May 07, 2013 02:07AM) (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments 21/30

01. Alexandra: in which a character makes a career change - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★
02. Amy: been meaning to read - Ender's Game - 2013.02.09 - ★★★★★
03. April Lyn: in which the main character is homeless - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 2013.02.03 - ★★★★★
04. Ashley: about medicine or healthcare - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - 2013.04.29 - ★★★★
05. Audrey: in which a family history is told - Interview With the Vampire - 2013.02.14 - ★★★
06. Barb: in which art is important to the plot - The Notebook - 2013.03.04 - ★★★★
07. Candiss: set in Hungary or about Hungary - The Invisible Bridge - 2013.05.07 - ★★★★★
08. Cherise: in which someone is ill - The Notebook - 2013.03.04 - ★★★★
09. Christina: war/military, in which the character is the one left behind - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★
12. Gina: in which a character is a teacher - 11/22/63 - 2013.01.30 - ★★★★★
14. Joanne: - in which one of the main characters is a vampire - Interview With the Vampire - 2013.02.14 - ★★★
15. Johanna: in which a character leaves her home - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★
18. Karina: won an award in the 80s - Ender's Game (Hugo for Best Novel (1986), Nebula for Best Novel (1985))- 2013.02.09 - ★★★★★
19. Kattibrie: in which a character's name is Catherine or some variation thereof - Safe Haven - 2013.03.22 - ★★
21. Lilac: in which a character grows up - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★
25. Rachel: in which a character is adopted - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★
26. Sasha: in which the setting is Japan - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★
27. Sharon: about a family and their life - Interview With the Vampire - 2013.02.14 - ★★★
28. Teresa: in a place visited/lived - Interview With the Vampire (New Orleans, Paris) - 2013.02.14 - ★★★
29. Toni: in which the author or character's name can be used for either sex - Safe Haven (Alex) - 2013.03.22 - ★★
30. Trev: in which the character changes her name - Memoirs of a Geisha - 2013.02.02 - ★★★★

The challenge description didn't say that the book for each task had to be unique. I hope it's okay that one of the books I read seems to fulfill so many requirements…?

message 32: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 996 comments I've got 5 books done for this challenge. I really need to remember to update all my challenge lists as I go!

Lilac's Task: young adult book or character grows up in some way - The Alchemy of Stone - Ekaterina Sedia (**** 1/07/13)

Kattibrie's Task: character named Catherine or a variation thereof - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan ("Kat" short for Katherine) (***** 1/17/13)

Barb's Task: concerning music, art, or a mystery set in PA – Ragtime – E. L. Doctorow (professional musician/pianist main character) (**** 1/26/13)

Johanna´s Task: character moves or leaves home - The Gate to Women's Country - Sheri S. Tepper (**** 1/29/13)

Alexandra's Task: character makes a career change - A Study in Scarlet - Arthur Conan Doyle (a character changes from being a farmer to being a horse-drawn cab driver in the city, and Dr. Watson moves from his career as a military doctor in Afghanistan to being a convalescing unofficial assistant to Sherlock Holmes in London) (**** 1/30/13)

Read: 5/20

message 33: by Barb (new)

Barb Kara wrote: "I'll accept that, Barb :)"

Thanks, Kara :) Much appreciated!

message 34: by Kai (new)

Kai (uchinaguchi) The Members Challenge

5/12

Trev's Task: Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name.
American Born Chinese
Karina's Task: Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade.
Johanna's Task:Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time.
Melissa's Task: Find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with it in the title.
Kelsi's Task: Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you, or encourages you to make a positive change in your life.
Sasha's Task: Pick a book that's translated from Russian or Japanese, set in either of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis.
Joanne's task: Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.
Candiss's task: Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family.
April's Task: Read a book about someone who goes through a difficult time but comes out on top.
Ashley's task: Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare. Can be non-fiction or fiction.
Kai's Task: Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory).
A Christmas Carol and Other Christmas Stories
Melanie's task: Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library.
Gina's task: Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher.
Are You My Mother?
Diana's Task: Read a book from the genre of Culinary/Foodie fiction.
Barb's task: Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania.
Georgina's Task: read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime.
Ellie's task: Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule.
April Lyn's task: Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless. It can be fiction or non-fiction.
Lilac's task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way.
JenniferJ's Task: Read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- Read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title.
Amy's task: Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it. Just read it already!
Lorelie's Task: Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.
Angela's Ashes
Teresa's Task: read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live.
The Stranger

message 35: by Quenby (last edited Feb 02, 2013 04:31PM) (new)

Quenby (quenby23) | 35 comments I'm a little late to the party, but I will go for reading 15 books. I will update my list as I progress. I like the variety here!

Completed: 0/15

1. Amy's task:
2. April Lyn's task:
3. Barb's task:
4. Cherise's task:
5. Ellie's task:
6. Gina's task:
7. Johanna's task:
8. Karina's task:
9. Kelsi's task:
10. Lilac's task:
11. Melanie's task:
12. Sasha's task:
13. Sharon's task:
14. Teresa's task:
15. Toni's task:

message 36: by Adriana (last edited Feb 26, 2013 04:05PM) (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Participation List!
Taking over this challenge (:
Let me know if anything is wrong.

Ashley- 6/30
Audrey- 6/15+
Barb- 3/20
Candiss- 7/20
Cherise- 0/10
Diana S- 2/30
Ellie- 5/18
Gecko- 1/30
Heather- 0/15
Kai- 5/12
Kattibrie- 4/14
Kme_17- 1/30
JenniferJ- 11/30
Jessica- 7/10
Karina- 0/17
Lesley- 4/20
Lilac- 0/15
Lorelei- 0/7
Nik- 9/30
Quenby- 0/15
Shelley- 7/30
Talia- 0/30
Teresa- 0/?
Trevor- 1/12
Melissa- 11/30

Updated- 2/26/13

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Update for Jessica: 5/10

Goal: 10
Complete: 5

THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE

Alexandra's Task: Read a book where a character makes a career change. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore - graphic designer to bookstore clerk
Gina's Task: Read a psychological thriller. Gone Girl
Joanne's Task: Read a book where the main character is a vampire. Jane Bites Back
Kattibrie's Task: Read a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name. Never Let Me Go - Kath
Lilac's Task: Read a YA book. Trust No One

message 38: by Barb (new)

Barb Kara wrote: "Alexandra's Task: I've been debating my career choice. Read a book where a character makes a career change."

If a woman who was born a slave bought her freedom and established herself as a successful dressmaker, does that count as a career change? I know it's a stretch, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :)

message 39: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments I'd say that counts, Barb. :)

message 40: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments I agree with Kara (:

Great job Jessica!

message 41: by Ashley (last edited Feb 10, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Ashley I'm a dumb dumb. I thought I had posted my list here and haven't. 1 month later I figured it out, lol.

THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE
6/30 Completed

Alexandra's Task: I've been debating my career choice. Read a book where a character makes a career change.

✔Amy's Task: I am a procrastinator so...Read that one book you keep meaning to but never get round to it. Just read it already! A Game of Thrones: 2/1/13, 5 stars

✔April Lyn's Task: April Lyn's Task: My husband and I have a heart for the impoverished. Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless. It can be fiction or non-fiction. The Sea of Monsters: 1/7/13/ 4 stars (Tyson is/was homeless)

Ashley's Task: I am married to a medical student. I hear stories about medicine all the time. Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare. Can be non-fiction or fiction. Examples: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat & Other Clinical Tales, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Still Alice

Audrey's Task: My name is Audrey and I am a genealogy buff. Read a book that is about genealogy or family history. If you know some of your genealogy, read a book about a topic that has arose in your research. For example, I have Quaker roots that go back to the Underground railroad so I could read a book about escaping slavery in pre-civil war America. Or I could read a book on the Irish Potato Famine if my ancestors came from Ireland. Wide open but should be fun. Good luck.

Barb's Task: Music and art are big deals in my family, and I love reading mysteries and books set in Pennsylvania, my home state. Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania. Helpful lists: Arts & Artists in Fiction, Fiction Books Involving Art, Popular Music Fiction Books, Mystery Books Set in PA

Candiss's Task: My father's parents were both children of Hungarian immigrants to the US. He learned to speak Magyar in the home before learning English at school, but he passed away when I was 6 years old, and there was no one left to teach me the language. Yet I have always felt a strong connection to Hungarian culture and have sought out books about the country and by Hungarian authors. Read a book set in Hungary or about Hungary/Hungarian culture or legend or any book by a Hungarian author. Alternatively, read a book in which a character is seeking to learn more about his or her heritage or family. Helpful lists: 20th Century Hungarian Literature, Popular Hungary Books

Cherise's Task: I've been suffering from medical problems for a few years now. Read a book involves someone being sick or about an illness during a period in history. Examples: The Fault in Our Stars, My Sister's Keeper

Christina's Task: I am an Army wife and mom. I've been "married to the military" for 15 years now and have been through 3 deployments with my husband (who is a medic). Read a book about war, the military, etc from the point of view of the spouse or the one left behind. Could be a parent, sibling, lover, etc.

Ellie's Task: I enjoy making lists for planning and organizing. Read a book about organizing at least one area of your life, such as your desk, home, or schedule. Examples: Find More Time: How to Get Things Done at Home, Organize Your Life, and Feel Great About ItFinish Your Book! a Time Management Guide for WritersOrganize Your Life: Free Yourself from Clutter & Find More Personal Time

Georgina's Task: My undergraduate dissertation discussed golden age crime fiction rules and if Agatha Christie broke too many of them. For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime. Helpful list: The Golden Age Queens of Crime

Gina's Task: My undergraduate degree is in Psychology and my Master's Degree is in Elementary Education. Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. For example mental illness, depression, bulimia, anxiety, panic attacks etc. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher.

JenniferJ's Task: Most folks consider 13 an unlucky number but I believe the opposite. Since the year 2013 is coming up my task is to either ead a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title

Joanne's Task: My favorite monster is a vampire. Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.

Johanna´s Task: I am looking for a place of my own right now, so I will (hopefully) be moving out soon. Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time. Examples: changes/has changed their legal name. SlammedThe HostFallen

✔Kai's Task: Read a book with a scene that focuses on a place after death has occurred (cemetery, funeral home, crematory). Examples: 1Q84, American Gods, Fun Home American Gods: 1/15/13, 3.5 stars

Kara's Task: My name is pronounced "KAH-ruh," but many people say "KAIR-uh." Read a book that has a heteronym in its title. For more on heteronyms, click here. Examples: The Name of the WIND, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLOSE, Tribes: We Need You to LEAD Us

✔Karina's Task: My name (in Scandinavia, anyway) was a very popular one in the 1980-ies. Read a book which won some sort of award in that decade. Examples: Neuromancer (Hugo award, 1985), The Color Purple (Pulitzer, 1983)The Road:1/17/13, 4 stars (Won Pulitzer Prize)

Kattibrie's Task: Ok, My name is Ekaterina and my nickname is Kattibrie which is a variation of Cattie-Brie's name in R.A. Salvatore's books. Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name.

Kelsi's Task: I love to run and be healthy. Read a non-fiction book that enlightens you, or encourages you to make a positive change in your life. Examples: In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, Food Rules: An Eater's Manual, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

✔Lilac's Task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Young Adult) 1/23/13, 3 stars

Lorelei's Task: My name is Lorelei. There is a legend about a siren called Lorelei on the Rhine River in Germany. Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck.

Melanie's Task: I have completed my Masters in Library and Information Science. Read a book where the main character is a librarian, or a significant portion takes place in or around a library. Examples: Help! I'm a Prisoner in the Library!, Stones from the River, Lirael

Melissa's Task: The meaning of my name is "honey bee" .. find out the meaning of your name and pick a book with that in the title (if more than one word like mine) pick one of the words.

Rachel's Task: I adopted my daughter and hope to adopt many more children. Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption. Examples: Anything by

Sasha's Task: I'm Russian, I grew up in Japan and was educated in America. Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries, or pick a book with a character having an identity crisis >.< Examples: pretty much anything by Haruki MurakamiThe Master and MargaritaThe Russian Debutante's Handbook

✔Teresa's Task: I'm Teresa and my task involves places/travel. A short(ish? LOL) history: My husband was in the army for 6 of our married years and we were stationed in Texas, Colorado and England. Of those places, Colorado was my favorite. However, while we lived in England I was able to visit a few places in Europe, such as Belgium, Germany and Ireland. Of those, Belgium holds very fond memories for me. Someplace I have longed to visit is Hawaii...maybe someday. Now, instead of asking you to read a book that takes place in any of the places I have named, I am going to ask you to read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live. Any genre, take your pick! The Light Between Oceans: 1/21/13, 4.5 stars

Toni's Task: My name can be used for a male or a female. Read a book where the author or the main character's name can be used for either sex. Some examples of names are: Toni/Tony; Carol/Carroll; Pat; Jamie; Dawn/Don; Alex; Randi/Randy; Leigh/Lee; Jordan; Wallis/Wallace; Keri/Cary, etc.

Trev's Task: My name is one I chose for myself. Read a book where one character dislikes their name or changes/has changed their legal name.

message 42: by Jessica (last edited Feb 10, 2013 06:27PM) (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Update for Jessica:

Complete: 6

Alexandra's Task: Read a book where a character makes a career change. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Gina's Task: Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. Gone Girl

Joanne's Task: Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire. Jane Bites Back by Michael Thomas Ford

Kattibrie's Task: Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name. Never Let Me Go

Lilac's Task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way. Trust No One

Lorelei's Task: Read a book that has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck. Legend by Marie Lu

Possible Books for tasks:
Thirteen Reasons Why (JenniferJ's task)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Amy's task)

message 43: by Barb (new)

Barb Barb wrote: ""Alexandra's Task: I've been debating my career choice. Read a book where a character makes a career change."

If a woman who was born a slave bought her freedom and established herself as a successful dressmaker, does that count as a career change?"

Kara wrote: "I'd say that counts, Barb. :)"

Adriana wrote: "I agree with Kara (:

message 44: by Jessica (last edited Feb 12, 2013 06:30PM) (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Update for Jessica as of 2/12/13.

I may need to up my goal for this challenge, as I'm already 70% through my goal.

Complete: 7

Alexandra's Task: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Gina's Task: Gone Girl
JenniferJ's Task: Thirteen Reasons Why
Joanne's Task: Jane Bites Back
Kattibrie's Task: Never Let Me Go
Lilac's Task: Trust No One
Lorelei's Task: Legend by Marie Lu

Possible Books for tasks:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Amy's task)
The Fault in Our Stars (Cherise's task)
Murder at the Vicarage (Georgina's task)

message 45: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ Updated Post 4 I now have 11/30 :)

message 46: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 996 comments Two more down, building on post 33:

April's task: character coming out of a difficult time yet comes out on top - The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi (**** 2/13/13)

Gina's task: involves a psychological issue or a teacher - Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson (**** 2/18/13)

Read: 7/20

message 47: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 3888 comments Awesome job everybody!

message 48: by Diane L (last edited Sep 23, 2013 10:03AM) (new)

Diane L | 47 comments I found this late but would love to participate.

THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE

22/30 Completed

204 Rosewood Lane by Debbie Macomber, 14 Mar. Seth leaves his fishing boat and opens a restaurant.
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, 9 Mar, been on my TBR for over 2 years now
April Lyn's Task: April Lyn's Task: Read a book where a main character is or has been homeless. It can be fiction or non-fiction.
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy by L.A. Meyer, 2 March
Ashley's Task: Read a book about medicine or anything about healthcare. Can be non-fiction or fiction.
The Barbary Plague: The Black Death in Victorian San Francisco by Marilyn Chase, completed 26 Feb, quite a bit in here about the beginnings of the US Public Health Dept.
Audrey's Task: Read a book that is about genealogy or family history. If you know some of your genealogy, read a book about a topic that has arose in your research.

Barb's Task: Read a book in which music and/or art are important to the plot or a mystery set in Pennsylvania.
Assaulted Pretzel by Laura Bradford, 19 Sep
Candiss's Task: Read any book by a Hungarian author.
Fatelessness by Imre Kertész, 24 Mar
Quarantine: A Novel by John Smolens, 10 Mar
Candle in the Darkness by Lynn Austin, 21 Apr

Georgina's Task: For the challenge, read one classic crime mystery written by a golden age queen of crime. Helpful list: The Golden Age Queens of Crime

Gina's Task: Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. Or read a book with a character who is a teacher.
Angels & Demons by Dan Brown, 2 May - Robert Langdon is a Harvard professor
JenniferJ's Task: Since the year 2013 is coming up my task is to either read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title

Joanne's Task: Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire.

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley, completed 19 Feb, Eva moves from the US to Cornwall
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson, 6 March, Mattie accompanies the death cart to the Potter's Field to see her Grandfather buried there.
Kara's Task: Read a book that has a heteronym in its title. Examples: The Name of the WIND, Extremely Loud and Incredibly CLOSE, Tribes: We Need You to LEAD Us

Karina's Task: Read a book which won some sort of award in the 1980s.
Neuromancer by William Gibson, 16 May
This book won both the Nebula and Hugo Awards for science fiction in 1984.
Canticle by R.A. Salvatore, 23 Apr

Gift of the Unmage by Alma Alexander, completed 20 Feb
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi, completed 16 Jan, Nailer and Pima find a shipwreck which drives the rest of the plot
Books Can Be Deceiving by Jenn McKinlay, 16 March

Rachel's Task: Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption.
Write It When I'm Gone: Remarkable Off-the-Record Conversations with Gerald R. Ford by Thomas M. Defrank, completed 27 Feb, President Ford was adopted by his step-father.
Sasha's Task: Pick a book that's translated from any of those language, set in any of the countries.
Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami, completed 17 Feb
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur, 3 May
Teresa's Task: I am going to ask you to read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live.
I lived in Germany and loved it there. I wanted to go see this passion play but was heavily pregnant at the time it was on.
Oberammergau: The Troubling Story of the World's Most Famous Passion Play by James Shapiro, 7 Sep
Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett, completed 21 Feb
When the Soul Mends: A Novel by Cindy Woodsmall, completed 11 Feb, Hannah Lapp legally changes her name to Hannah Lawson when she runs away.

message 49: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 54 comments I have 10/18 and just updated my list in post 16 to reflect this.

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Jessica's update as of 2/28. Completed my original goal of 10. I'm going to try for another 5 and see how far I get.

Original Goal: 10
Revised Goal:15
Complete: 10

THE MEMBERS CHALLENGE

Complete: Alexandra's Task: Read a book where a character makes a career change. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Complete: Gina's Task: Read a psychological thriller or a book that a character has some kind of psychological dilemma. Gone Girl

Complete JenniferJ's Task: Read a book with the word "Lucky" in the title -OR- read a book that is 13th in a series or has either the number or word 13 in the title Thirteen Reasons Why

Complete: Joanne's Task: Read a book where the main character or one of the main characters is a vampire. Jane Bites Back

Complete: Johanna´s Task: Read a book where a character moves or has to leave her/his home for a long period of time. Prodigy

Complete: Kattibrie's Task: Read a book by R.A. Salvatore or a book where a character is called Catherine or a variation of that name. Never Let Me Go

Complete: Lilac's Task: Read a Young Adult book or a book where a character grows up in some way. Trust No One

Complete: Lorelei's Task: Read a book that takes place in Germany or a book that is a legend or has the word "Legend" in the title or a book that includes a shipwreck. Legend by Marie Lu.

Rachel's Task: Read a book about someone who adopted, was adopted, or placed their child for adoption. Dark Lie

Teresa's Task:, I am going to ask you to read a book that takes place someplace you either have visited and loved, have lived and loved or would love to visit/live. The American Heiress New York, Newport, RI and England! Love those places!

« previous 1 3