Start by marking “Notes from a Small Island” as Want to Read:
Notes from a Small Island

Notes from a Small Island

(Notes from a Small Island #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  80,833 Ratings  ·  3,685 Reviews
"Suddenly, in the space of a moment, I realized what it was that I loved about Britain-which is to say, all of it."

After nearly two decades spent on British soil, Bill Bryson - bestselling author of The Mother Tongue and Made in America-decided to return to the United States. ("I had recently read," Bryson writes, "that 3.7 million Americans believed that they had been abd
Published May 28th 1997 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from a Small Island, please sign up.
John Subscribe to Manchester Literary Festival. Look up on internet and give your e-address to them. They’ll send you details on who,where, when, etc.…moreSubscribe to Manchester Literary Festival. Look up on internet and give your e-address to them. They’ll send you details on who,where, when, etc. Unfortunately for where you live you won’t be able to get to Manchester all that often but can access them online. If you are here you get to meet the authors too.(less)
Blood River by Tim ButcherA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertInto Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Favourite Travel Books
1,705 books — 3,914 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
3,696 books — 6,759 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane
This book combines several of my favorite things: travelogues, England, and the charm of Bill Bryson.

It is the book version of comfort food.

So you can understand why I instinctively reached for this audiobook on the the first day of my new job. I wanted something comforting. And humorous. And British.

I was instantly gratified. Bryson begins his book about touring England by describing how intensely Brits will argue about distance and driving routes:

"If you mention in the pub that you intend to d
Alissa
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Bill Bryson likes hedgerows, yelling at people, the English language, complaining, pretending to be a hiker, the fifth Duke of Portland, W.J.C. Scott-Bentinck, and himself. He tries too hard to be clever, and although you're being introduced to some interesting mental pictures ("a mid-face snack dispenser" for instance), and it's positively obvious how much he loves the English language and the art of writing, the lengths to which he goes can be tiring. The long-winded, irritating tangents he go ...more
Algernon
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016

Newsflash: I have a new entry into my Top Ten Authors (past and present) that I would like to invite to a night out at the pub for a session of heavy drinking and tall tales.

pub

Bill Bryson, with his sly humour and irreverent atitude towards tourism, is a strong contender for the top position right after my first experience of travelling in his company through the twisted back lanes of historical hamlets of his cherished island. Being both a personal journal and a travel guide, his Notes have been
Cecily
After 20 years in England, Bill Bryson decided to tour Britain in 1995 by public transport over ~6 weeks and write a book about it.

HUMOUR

There are snippets of great humour and insight (“a young man with more on his mind than in it”; “carpet with the sort of pattern you get when you rub your eyes too hard”; in Liverpool, “They were having a festival of litter... citizens had taken time off from their busy schedules to add crisp packets, empty cigarette boxes and carrier bags to the otherwise blan
Lisa Vegan
It took me forever to read this because I was constantly picking it up and putting it down, not because I wasn’t enjoying it, but because it’s one of those books where it works to read it in this way, and I read so many other books during the times I took breaks from reading this book.

Sometimes I just don’t like Bill Bryson as a man. There’s a smattering of things he writes that are cruel, crass, and otherwise makes him unappealing to me, and he sure drinks a lot of beer, but the nasty material
Marti
Mar 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
Ambling know-it-all wanders around the UK, complaining about architecture, getting drunk, finding delight in little, and generally having a hard time deciding where to eat (always Indian or Chinese in the end).
It paints a pretty depressing picture of the UK, when I think his intention was the opposite. Plus, I really liked his book about traveling through continental Europe, so I don’t know what happened here. Also thought the scene where he tells us how fat people eat was insulting, to, well,
Darwin8u
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
"One thing I have learned over the years is that your impressions of a place are necessarily, and often unshakably, colored by the route you take into it."
- Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island

description

It is really hard not to like Bill Bryson's travel books. Actually, it is hard not to like his dictionaries, travelogues, or explorations of: the Universe, the home, Shakespeare, etc. He is, essentially, our Falstaff. He stumbles from bus to train, from pub to pub, from city to city exploring Britain on
Paul E. Morph
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure how much I'd get out of reading a book about my home country written by an American... but it turned out to be a joy. I hadn't realised, until I read the book, that Bryson had lived in the UK for many years. It gives him a rather unusual perspective on the place and makes for interesting reading.

It also helps that I enjoyed his sense of humour. It's a little morbid at times; he makes a joke about the Zeebrugge ferry disaster at one point that a lot of people may find to be in bad t
·Karen·
Mr Bryson has an entertaining line of patter, a nice, wry humour and he works very very hard to endear himself with the reader. Look, I'm a regular guy from Iowa who sometimes gets really narked at owners of undisciplined dogs and thinks hedgerows are A Good Thing and cars aren't. But that doesn't quite compensate for the fact that this is basically a catalogue of towns, hotel rooms and meals in restaurants - an amusing catalogue, but a catalogue all the same. Where BB gets right up my nose is w ...more
Jan-Maat
Easily my favourite Bryson book and one I happily recommend as a light hearted introduction to Britain.

Bryson is the perfect coffee and a doughnut writer. You can read him while concentrating on your coffee and it will pass your time pleasantly, maybe you won't gain anything from this exercise, no wisdom, no insight, no sudden new understanding but he won't cost you anything either (view spoiler)
Stacy
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
I only got about a third of the way through this book. I was giving Bill Bryson one more chance to impress me, but he didn't quite do it.

I would recommend this book for anyone who has lived in England, as many of the references in the book would escape someone who has not spent much time there. However, I was just never pulled in by his narrative.

I felt like Bryson writes with a perennial smirk on his face, laughing at his own cleverness as he pens various turns of the phrase. But a few funny
Anne
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I studied for a summer in Bath, adore Wimbledon, and I am a huge fan of Shakespeare and most of literary canon which can be defined as British Lit, so I think I've always had a special place in my heart for the UK, particularly England.

Also, this was introduction to Bryson and I was enchanted with his witty and slightly snarky prose that teach and amuse simultaneously!

A favorite moment: hiking in a rainstorm and reaching the summit to find a cadre of Brits huddled together eating soggy sandwic
Ben Babcock
Since I moved to England this fall, I haven’t done too much travelling around the country. I’ve been to London a couple of times, neither of which I did much that could be described as a touristy; the same applies to my trips to Cambridge. I went up to Scotland during the half-term and had a good time there, but I’m looking forward to visiting a few other places around the UK. Until I do, travel writing like Notes from a Small Island will have to serve to whet my appetite.

Bill Bryson is a brilli
Petra X
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quite an entertaining book. Bryson is at his best when presented with oddities and eccentricities he can describe to, what he seems to presume anyway, a foreign audience who will be all agog at such just how different the British are. Its quite amusing to have our foibles pointed out by an American anyway, so this British person at least, enjoyed the book.
Trudie
Ah, so Bill and I had a break-up around the middle part of this book. He was getting on my very last nerve with his sudden unfriendly outbursts to dogwalkers and jolly families enjoying cream buns. It was also rather tiresome, this carping about architectural eyesores. I get it, I do, but after a while one rather does think that the author would like Britain to return to the halcyon days, circa the late 1800s when no one had yet had the effrontery to tear down hedgerows or build shopping centres ...more
James
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘Notes from a Small Island’ and ‘Neither Here nor There’ are Bill Bryson’s early travelogues concerning his journeys through Britain and other European countries respectively.

Both of these books are the strongest and the funniest of Bryson’s earliest work and undoubtedly established his reputation (at that time) as a travel writer and commentator of repute, producing engaging and very entertaining travelogues.

Now very much the Anglo-American (having lived at times in the UK and now holding dual
Dish
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: expat Brits or those nostalgic for the 1990s
Shelves: comfort-re-reads
It was hardly surprising to discover that the first book I finished in 2008 was one of my comfort re-reads. For these are the books I treasure, in the absolute certainty that whenever I feel bored, depressed, tired, lonely, miserable, or just over-whelmed by daily life I can pull them out and indulge in the healing power of the written word.

And Bill Bryson's “Notes from a Small Island” must be recorded as the ultimate comfort re-read for an expat Brit; providing on every page diversions that ar
Kris
Oct 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
This book is 30% random information about Britain, 10% witty humor, and 60% Bryson constantly complaining about what he thinks is wrong. At first the reading was amusing, and there are good passages that contain great cultural observations from an outsider's perspective, but Bryson is a biased, self-absorbed liberal, and his narrow-minded perspective often gets in the way of what could have potentially been a greater book. True, clever little observations about various iconic landmarks gave the ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
There were some truly hilarious moments & observations in this tour of Britain, but a lot of it was also a rather dry account of every little thing the author did. The tone did manage to be endearing even while his unpleasant personality seeped through, though. So some parts were fun! But I definitely had a hard time pushing myself to finish it.
Connie
Bill Bryson, originally from Iowa, had lived in England for the last twenty years. When he and his wife decided to move their family back to the States, he took a last trip around Britain. Except for a few days, he took only public transportation and hiked for seven weeks. Bryson traveled to Dover, London, the southern coast, then headed north through England, Wales, and Scotland, then back to his home in North Yorkshire.

I especially enjoyed the beginning and the end of the book, but thought the
Riku Sayuj
Bryson, true to spirit, makes you laugh at everything about the place and fall in love with the place at the same time. No wonder for years the Brits have considered this the most representative travel book about themselves. Full review to follow.
Travelin
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: started
Predictably, practically useless as a metric for tourism in England. Bill is in such familiar territory that he unfurls his self-centred self in full, spending whole pages describing the organizational skills of his favorite hotel and insulting anonymous people who crossed him 20 years ago. Still exceptionally written, funny and accidentally informative at times.

Two examples of of great insightful humour:

1) He spends a paragraph describing how the English would make perfect communists, loving to
Lizzie
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction, own
So, about a month ago, I moved to England from the U.S., to London. (Recently enough that it still feels a little bit preposterous to say.) One of the things we had to do, in packing our suitcases, was select which books we'd carry with us for the next several weeks and which would travel the long way inside a shipping container. If my count is correct, we brought 16 books with us, and this was one of my picks.

I like Bill Bryson and I figured this would be fun to read as a new resident of Englan
Zoe's Human
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Maybe it's because I've worked for 25 years in customer service, but listening to some middle-class dude complain about trivialities is not my idea of entertainment, it's work.

In the main, the book was okay. There were some hilarious bits, however, much of the humor was in the form of grousing, which is not to my taste. I was thinking it was going to be a 3-star book as some bits dragged, but then . . . at page 274, so close to the end, I hit this:

In the end, fractious and impatient, I went into
Asghar Abbas
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

I got this book by mistake and almost didn't read it. But I'm glad I did. Because The Crown . Now I realize the two got nothing to do with one another but Netflix sure knows how to jack you up. Despite the fact I despise monarchy of any sorts. Good book this , do read it.
Roy Lotz
Unfortunately for me, I’ve never been to England, nor have I even met a great many English people in person. Yet like so many Americans, for my whole life I have been quietly enamored of British culture. Monty Python, The Beatles, John Milton, “English Breakfast Tea” (which I imagine is not what the English call it), Mr. Bean, Indian Pale Ale, the custom of tea and digestive biscuits (which I came to love during my time in Kenya), pronouncing schedule with a “sh” at the beginning—all of these ha ...more
Eric_W
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Before returning to his native United States after a sojourn of some twenty years in England, Bryson decided to take a trip around that "small island." The hysterical comments in this book are the result. The British loved it so much it was a best-seller for months, and they turned it into a TV series. The book even includes a glossary of English terms. For example, do you know the difference between a village and a hamlet? One is a small town where people live, the other a play by Shakespeare!

B
Molly
Jan 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Molly by: Eloise
Shelves: humor
My first exposure to Bill Bryson was "A Walk In The Woods" which is about his desire to leave modern America behind and go for a stroll along the Appalachian Trail. I love that book and found it to be hysterical and at other times very sensible in his commentary about the world around us.

"Notes From A Small Island" also reflects his desire to stroll through countrysides and insert some social commentary about the communities he encounters. But this time his location is Great Britain and it is a
Vasco Simões
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
A propósito do Brexit achei que esta era uma boa altura para ler este livro. Já tinha gostado muito de ler Aquele Verão de 1927 de Bryson e tinha vontade de compreender melhor os britânicos e um pouco da sua história. Mas este não é o livro que me vai ajudar nesse assunto tal como diz na contracapa. Crónicas de uma Pequena Ilha é um diário de viagem do autor pela Grã Bretanha com imensas referências a cidades, lugares curiosos e algumas personagens da história escrito com humor e ironia, mas não ...more
Ty-Orion
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Стори ми се доста по-забавен и интересен пътепис от пътеписа му за Европа. Хареса ми, че Брайсън се навря в доста забутани местенца, както и това, че се придвижва често пеш или с обществен транспорт. Тъй като съм от същия вид побъркани, събрах полезна информация. Би ми харесало към книгата да има някаква символична карта на маршрута и тук-таме по някоя снимка, но какво да се прави... Поне сега с Интернет можеш да видиш на снимка всичко, което те интересува.

Само едно не разбрах - защо истинските
Goodreads Librari...: Alternate cover 3 12 May 04, 2017 04:25AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Notes from a Small Island 1 5 Nov 16, 2012 02:14PM
What's the Name o...: Who's the guy who writes humorous travel books? [s] 4 75 Dec 03, 2011 12:48PM
  • Sahara
  • In Search Of England
  • The Road to McCarthy: Around the World in Search of Ireland
  • A Yank Back to England: The Prodigal Tourist Returns
  • Riding the Iron Rooster
  • Pecked To Death By Ducks
  • Holidays in Hell: In Which Our Intrepid Reporter Travels to the World's Worst Places and Asks, "what's Funny about Thi
  • Adventures on the High Teas: In Search of Middle England
  • Venice
  • Coasting: A Private Voyage
  • Imagined London: A Tour of the World's Greatest Fictional City
  • Great Britain
William McGuire "Bill" Bryson, OBE, FRS was born in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1951. He settled in England in 1977, and worked in journalism until he became a full time writer. He lived for many years with his English wife and four children in North Yorkshire. He and his family then moved to New Hampshire in America for a few years, but they have now returned to live in the UK.

In The Lost Continent, Bil

Notes from a Small Island (2 books)
  • The Road to Little Dribbling: Adventures of an American in Britain
“I know this goes without saying, but Stonehenge really was the most incredible accomplishment. It took five hundred men just to pull each sarsen, plus a hundred more to dash around positioning the rollers. Just think about it for a minute. Can you imagine trying to talk six hundred people into helping you drag a fifty-ton stone eighteen miles across the countryside and muscle it into an upright position, and then saying, 'Right, lads! Another twenty like that, plus some lintels and maybe a couple of dozen nice bluestones from Wales, and we can party!' Whoever was the person behind Stonehenge was one dickens of a motivator, I'll tell you that.” 163 likes
“Suddenly, in the space of a moment, I realized what it was that I loved about Britain - which is to say, all of it. Every last bit of it, good and bad - Marmite, village fetes, country lanes, people saying 'mustn't grumble' and 'I'm terribly sorry but', people apologizing to me when I conk them with a nameless elbow, milk in bottles, beans on toast, haymaking in June, stinging nettles, seaside piers, Ordnance Survey maps, crumpets, hot-water bottles as a necessity, drizzly Sundays - every bit of it.

What a wondrous place this was - crazy as fuck, of course, but adorable to the tiniest degree. What other country, after all, could possibly have come up with place names like Tooting Bec and Farleigh Wallop, or a game like cricket that goes on for three days and never seems to start? Who else would think it not the least odd to make their judges wear little mops on their heads, compel the Speaker of the House of Commons to sit on something called the Woolsack, or take pride in a military hero whose dying wish was to be kissed by a fellow named Hardy? ('Please Hardy, full on the lips, with just a bit of tongue.') What other nation in the world could possibly have given us William Shakespeare, pork pies, Christopher Wren, Windsor Great Park, the Open University, Gardners' Question Time and the chocolate digestive biscuit? None, of course.

How easily we lose sight of all this. What an enigma Britain will seem to historians when they look back on the second half of the twentieth century. Here is a country that fought and won a noble war, dismantled a mighty empire in a generally benign and enlightened way, created a far-seeing welfare state - in short, did nearly everything right - and then spent the rest of the century looking on itself as a chronic failure. The fact is that this is still the best place in the world for most things - to post a letter, go for a walk, watch television, buy a book, venture out for a drink, go to a museum, use the bank, get lost, seek help, or stand on a hillside and take in a view.

All of this came to me in the space of a lingering moment. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like it here. I like it more than I can tell you.”
68 likes